View Quote

He served with Mr Rogers
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, he and Julia Child we're doing the nasty and we're transmitting radio signals via mating calls.
View Quote

Mr. Rogers was on over watch...
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]

KILL JOHN LENNON
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
At this stage of my life, I presume everything that is projected on the magic box is run by spooks.
View Quote
Ugh...#metoo
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#10]
When he was 19, he did a guy in Laos with a rifle shot at a thousand yards in high wind. Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing he was ever good at... Well that and painting.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Member name?  

The Tactical Bob Ross 1st video NAR Quick Reaction Kit IFAK quick Overview ?????

Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#12]
When his happy little shrubs are placed in a 10 stanza line music sheet the music note letters a,b,c,d,e,f spell out spy code
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#13]
No, but he was about as straight as a 2,000 count bag of Skittles.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, but he was about as straight as a 2,000 count bag of Skittles.
View Quote

He was married three times including the last one a few months before he died of lymphoma.

Still, the cancer was kept secret and HIV and a few other std virii cause lymphoma.

Don’t think he was all that effeminate by PBS standards.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#15]
He learned his style of painting (“wet on wet”) from a Nazi....

Wet work?

“While he was slowly teaching himself to paint — and to do it quickly, so that he could finish a whole painting in a single 30-minute break — he found a teacher who would teach him what became his trademark style.
William Alexander was a former German POW who moved to America after his release at the end of World War II and took up painting for a living. Late in life, Alexander claimed to have invented the style he taught Ross, popularly known as “wet-on-wet,” but it was actually a refinement of a style used by Caravaggio and Monet.
His technique involved rapidly painting layers of oil over each other without waiting for the picture elements to dry. To a busy man like Master Sergeant Bob Ross, this method was perfect, and the landscapes that Alexander painted perfectly matched his preferred subject matter.
Ross first came across Alexander on public television, where he hosted a painting show from 1974 to 1982, and he eventually traveled to meet and learn from the man himself in 1981. After a short time, Ross decided he’d found his calling and retired from the Air Force to paint and teach full time.“
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/22/arts/television-bob-ross-the-frugal-gourmet-of-painting.html?pagewanted=4&src=pm

Mr. Needham, who has produced Mr. Ross's show since 1983, said he took his first class last January and confessed it took him six hours to complete a waterfall scene Mr. Ross had done in 26 minutes. "But you know, it's not bad; it is reasonably good," he said of his masterpeice, which now hangs in his office. "The secret isn't in the artistic teaching, it's that he explains how to load the brush, and how to position your hand."

The Bob Ross technique is called "wet on wet," meaning that paint is applied mostly with a two-inch brush to a canvas pre-soaked with liquid paint -- no fuss, no muss and no waiting for oils to dry. Talent is not required. "I have people in their 90's doing their very first painting," he said. "I really believe that if you practice enough you could paint the 'Mona Lisa' with a two-inch brush."

Mr. Ross, who said he has produced nearly 30,000 paintings (the prolific Picasso did not match that record), does not sell his paintings or show his work in galleries; he has only had one retrospective -- at the Minnetrista Cultural Center in Muncie, a town that boasts of the artist as an honorary native son. Mr. Ross said he had no desire for a major exhibit. "There are thousands of very, very talented artists who will never be known, even after they are dead," he said. "Most painters want recognition, especially by their peers. I achieved that a long time ago with TV. I don't need any more."
That view was echoed, somewhat more sourly, in New York City. "People definitely know who he is," said Kevin Lavin, 38, a struggling painter. "In his own way, he is as famous as Warhol," he added, with a pained look. Mr. Lavin, who works at the Pearl Paint Company, a large art supply shop in the SoHo section of Manhattan, pointed to the store's display of Bob Ross oils and said sardonically, "This is Bob's happy little corner." The $3.56 tubes of Prussian blue and sap green, all embossed with Bob Ross's name and likeness, were shelved in a dusty back section, a safe distance from the gleaming rows of oil paints and mediums used by regulars. "We hide them," Mr. Lavin said of Bob Ross products, "so as not to offend."

Mr. Lavin searched for a bright side. "I suppose, in a sense, he has brought a lot of people in who normally wouldn't get involved in art," he said carefully. But is it art? "It's cabinet-making," said his colleague Keith Frank, a sculptor. "It is formulaic and thoughtless -- art as therapy." They described the Bob Ross style as "pizzeria art," paintings often hung in pizza parlors.

Like many famous artists, Mr. Ross is not entirely beloved by his peers. "I am horrified by art instruction on television," said Richard Pousette-Dart, an Abstract Expressionist who teaches at the Students Art League in New York. "It's terrible -- bad, bad, bad. They are just commercial exploiters, non-artists teaching other non-artists." He added, "I don't teach a technique or a method, I nurture students to find their own."

But Mr. Ross does not heed his critics, and said he had no desire for acceptance in the contemporary art world. He particularly dislikes the Abstract Expressionism practiced by Jackson Pollock, referring to him with gleeful contempt as "Jackson Pollard." "If I paint something," he said in his pronounced Florida drawl, "I don't want to have to explain what it is."

Mr. Ross was born in Daytona, Fla., the son of a carpenter, and dropped out of school in the ninth grade. He joined the Air Force at the age of 18 and was based in Alaska, where he took his first painting class at the Anchorage U.S.O. club, became hooked, and spent years going from art class to art class. "The schools I went to, the professors were mostly into abstract -- talking all about color theory and composition," he said. "They'd tell you what makes a tree, but they wouldn't tell you how to paint a tree."

Finally, Mr. Ross found an art instructor in California who could show him exactly how to paint a tree, using the speedy, foolproof "wet on wet" method. "I took one class and I went crazy," he said. "I knew this was what I wanted to do." Mr. Ross eventually set up his own traveling art school in Florida. His business took off in 1982. He declined to name the teacher who first inspired him, explaining somewhat uneasily, "Now he is our major competitor."
In fact, the rivalry between Mr. Ross and his former mentor, William Alexander, is bitter. Mr. Alexander, 76, a Bavarian-born painter who has his own painting show on a public television station in Orange County, Calif., a paint supply business and a line of books and videos, spoke of his former protege in the tones Thomas Couture might have used to describe the young pupil who outstripped him, Edouard Manet. "He betrayed me," he said in his strong German accent. "I invented 'wet on wet.' I trained him and he is copying me -- what bothers me is not just that he betrayed me, but that he thinks he can do it better."

Meanwhile, Mr. Ross has plans for a new children's television show called "Bob's World" that has nothing to do with art. He has made demonstration tapes of himself, talking to small children and fox, deer and squirrels in his trademark soothing voice, that could make "Bob's World" a wilderness version of "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood." Can you say happy painting?
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah, It's true. He went on ops back in 'Nam with Mr Rogers, who was a Green Beret.
View Quote

Don't forget Captain Kangaroo. He was also a guy with tours in the 'Nam with those two. Are you seeing a trend yet ? Or is it just a happy coincidence?
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Don't forget Captain Kangaroo. He was also a guy with tours in the 'Nam with those two. Are you seeing a trend yet ? Or is it just a happy coincidence?
View Quote

Obviously the fourth guy on their fireteam went on to become a high level exec at PBS.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:17:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/22/arts/television-bob-ross-the-frugal-gourmet-of-painting.html?pagewanted=4&src=pm

Mr. Needham, who has produced Mr. Ross's show since 1983, said he took his first class last January and confessed it took him six hours to complete a waterfall scene Mr. Ross had done in 26 minutes. "But you know, it's not bad; it is reasonably good," he said of his masterpeice, which now hangs in his office. "The secret isn't in the artistic teaching, it's that he explains how to load the brush, and how to position your hand."

The Bob Ross technique is called "wet on wet," meaning that paint is applied mostly with a two-inch brush to a canvas pre-soaked with liquid paint -- no fuss, no muss and no waiting for oils to dry. Talent is not required. "I have people in their 90's doing their very first painting," he said. "I really believe that if you practice enough you could paint the 'Mona Lisa' with a two-inch brush."

Mr. Ross, who said he has produced nearly 30,000 paintings (the prolific Picasso did not match that record), does not sell his paintings or show his work in galleries; he has only had one retrospective -- at the Minnetrista Cultural Center in Muncie, a town that boasts of the artist as an honorary native son. Mr. Ross said he had no desire for a major exhibit. "There are thousands of very, very talented artists who will never be known, even after they are dead," he said. "Most painters want recognition, especially by their peers. I achieved that a long time ago with TV. I don't need any more."
That view was echoed, somewhat more sourly, in New York City. "People definitely know who he is," said Kevin Lavin, 38, a struggling painter. "In his own way, he is as famous as Warhol," he added, with a pained look. Mr. Lavin, who works at the Pearl Paint Company, a large art supply shop in the SoHo section of Manhattan, pointed to the store's display of Bob Ross oils and said sardonically, "This is Bob's happy little corner." The $3.56 tubes of Prussian blue and sap green, all embossed with Bob Ross's name and likeness, were shelved in a dusty back section, a safe distance from the gleaming rows of oil paints and mediums used by regulars. "We hide them," Mr. Lavin said of Bob Ross products, "so as not to offend."

Mr. Lavin searched for a bright side. "I suppose, in a sense, he has brought a lot of people in who normally wouldn't get involved in art," he said carefully. But is it art? "It's cabinet-making," said his colleague Keith Frank, a sculptor. "It is formulaic and thoughtless -- art as therapy." They described the Bob Ross style as "pizzeria art," paintings often hung in pizza parlors.

Like many famous artists, Mr. Ross is not entirely beloved by his peers. "I am horrified by art instruction on television," said Richard Pousette-Dart, an Abstract Expressionist who teaches at the Students Art League in New York. "It's terrible -- bad, bad, bad. They are just commercial exploiters, non-artists teaching other non-artists." He added, "I don't teach a technique or a method, I nurture students to find their own."

But Mr. Ross does not heed his critics, and said he had no desire for acceptance in the contemporary art world. He particularly dislikes the Abstract Expressionism practiced by Jackson Pollock, referring to him with gleeful contempt as "Jackson Pollard." "If I paint something," he said in his pronounced Florida drawl, "I don't want to have to explain what it is."

Mr. Ross was born in Daytona, Fla., the son of a carpenter, and dropped out of school in the ninth grade. He joined the Air Force at the age of 18 and was based in Alaska, where he took his first painting class at the Anchorage U.S.O. club, became hooked, and spent years going from art class to art class. "The schools I went to, the professors were mostly into abstract -- talking all about color theory and composition," he said. "They'd tell you what makes a tree, but they wouldn't tell you how to paint a tree."

Finally, Mr. Ross found an art instructor in California who could show him exactly how to paint a tree, using the speedy, foolproof "wet on wet" method. "I took one class and I went crazy," he said. "I knew this was what I wanted to do." Mr. Ross eventually set up his own traveling art school in Florida. His business took off in 1982. He declined to name the teacher who first inspired him, explaining somewhat uneasily, "Now he is our major competitor."
In fact, the rivalry between Mr. Ross and his former mentor, William Alexander, is bitter. Mr. Alexander, 76, a Bavarian-born painter who has his own painting show on a public television station in Orange County, Calif., a paint supply business and a line of books and videos, spoke of his former protege in the tones Thomas Couture might have used to describe the young pupil who outstripped him, Edouard Manet. "He betrayed me," he said in his strong German accent. "I invented 'wet on wet.' I trained him and he is copying me -- what bothers me is not just that he betrayed me, but that he thinks he can do it better."

Meanwhile, Mr. Ross has plans for a new children's television show called "Bob's World" that has nothing to do with art. He has made demonstration tapes of himself, talking to small children and fox, deer and squirrels in his trademark soothing voice, that could make "Bob's World" a wilderness version of "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood." Can you say happy painting?
View Quote

The artists in that article sound like jealous school girls. It must have killed them that Ross made millions over the years while they were making shitty pretentious "art" and collecting food stamps.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The artists in that article sound like jealous school girls. It must have killed them that Ross made millions over the years while they were making shitty pretentious "art" and collecting food stamps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More amazing still when you realize Ross’s favorite medium is blood, and he’s about to paint his masterpiece.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes, he and Julia Child we're doing the nasty and we're transmitting radio signals via mating calls.
View Quote

https://www.intelligence.gov/index.php/people/barrier-breakers-in-history/451-julia-child
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:39:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I say this with the utmost respect

Y'all are seriously retarded.
View Quote

That needs to be a thread lock message
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:46:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Get off my lawn...

I always remember Chuck Barris of the Gong Show claimed to have been a CIA assassin and never recanted his story...

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Snip

William Alexander was a former German POW who moved to America after his release at the end of World War II and took up painting for a living.
View Quote

Not every German soldier was a Nazi, just like not every America soldier is a true Patriot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.widewalls.ch/magazine/cia-art-cold-war

Maybe Bob Ross’s mission was to prevent abstract impressionism from overtaking the American heartland.

He was the vaccine and Rothko was the virus.
View Quote

Do you think he whacked that commie, Rothko?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:52:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've always wondered about the coke nail and fro...
View Quote

The fro came from being broke ass poor not being able to afford haircuts.  He hated that hair, but it became his trademark.

His calm demeanor came from him not wanting to scream anymore at ppl as he did in the military. He said he would never raise his voice again
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.intelligence.gov/index.php/people/barrier-breakers-in-history/451-julia-child

Holy shit! Was not expecting that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:58:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not every German soldier was a Nazi, just like not every America soldier is a true Patriot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

William Alexander was a former German POW who moved to America after his release at the end of World War II and took up painting for a living.

I didn’t say he was SS or anything but he fought under the nazi flag.

“Wilhelm Alexander was born in East Prussia (in what is now Poland). His family fled to Berlin during World War I. Apprenticed as a carriage maker, Alexander was drafted into the Wehrmacht during World War II. Captured by Allied troops, he painted portraits of Allied officers' wives and he soon made his way to the United States.[2]

After World War II, Alexander became a refugee and professional painter, pioneering the modern "quick" version of the 15th century wet-on-wet technique, and moving to North America. Later, now known as Bill, Alexander became a TV host on his own painting education TV show.[1]

Alexander is best known for the television program The Magic of Oil Painting (1974–1982), which ran on PBS in the United States. Alexander teamed with other artists on several different PBS series of the format The Art of Bill Alexander and … that ran from 1984–1992, starting with Lowell Speers and including Robert Warren. Alexander also teamed with painters Sharon Perkins and Diane André. Alexander and the second featured artist would alternate episodes, with both painters using the wet-on-wet method. This series was turned into a series of books "as seen on television".

Relations with Bob RossEdit

TV host and prolific painter Bob Ross studied under Alexander, from whom he learned his wet-on-wet technique, a method of painting rapidly using progressively thinner layers of oil paint.[3] Ross mentioned in the very first episode of the The Joy of Painting that he had learned the technique from Bill Alexander, calling it "the most fantastic way to paint that you've ever seen".[3] Ross also dedicated the first episode of the second season to Alexander, explaining that "I feel as though he gave me a precious gift, and I'd like to share that gift with you [the viewer]".[4]

As Ross's popularity grew, his relationship with Alexander became increasingly strained. In a 1991 interview with The New York Times, Alexander said of Ross, "He betrayed me. I invented 'wet on wet'. I trained him, and he is copying me -- what bothers me is not just that he betrayed me, but that he thinks he can do it better." Alexander refers here to the fact that Bob Ross used some of his individual patter like "happy little trees" and borrowed some of his unique peculiarities.[5]

Art historians have pointed out that the "wet-on-wet" (or alla prima) technique actually originated in Flanders during the 15th century, and was used by Frans Hals, Diego Velázquez, Caravaggio, Paul Cezanne, John Singer Sargent, and Claude Monet, among many others.[6][7] But actually, Alexander invented the step of priming the canvas with a liquid white paint (before starting to paint) and he also designed the style of palette knife employed, which is larger, firmer, and has one straight edge. Both inventions are fundamental for his wet-on-wet technique.[citation needed]”
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah, It's true. He went on ops back in 'Nam with Mr Rogers, who was a Green Beret.
View Quote

Word!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:03:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Dupe delete
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:13:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

CIA people never retire.
View Quote

I've heard that. I also subscribe to the current rumor that Ross never died. He shaved off the fro and he and his daughter are now famous catfish noodllers in south Alabama.

Attachment Attached File

This artist's enhancement is further evidence.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:20:15 AM EDT
[#32]
I watched Bob Ross kill five men with a paint brush.  That man was an artist.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#33]
good cover
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:40:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
At this stage of my life, I presume everything that is projected on the magic box is run by spooks.

I could temporarily end many of the world's problems if I could convince people to take their PCs, cable boxes and TVs out to the curb with the rest of their trash.  But then some other propaganda substrate would be conceived and it's game on again.
View Quote

Spooks run TV?  I thought it was the Jews?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:50:14 AM EDT
[#35]
It appears that in 1980, PBS started a war with CIA

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP90-00806R000100140095-1.pdf
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:49:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've heard that. I also subscribe to the current rumor that Ross never died. He shaved off the fro and he and his daughter are now famous catfish noodllers in south Alabama.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/413035/20201004_235832_jpg-1620854.JPG

This artist's enhancement is further evidence.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/413035/20201005_001130_jpg-1620859.JPG
View Quote

I've seen her on Tik Tok.... that accent.....THICCCCCCC
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:33:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

CIA people never retire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems to me that the guy really enjoyed painting and hoped to spread the joy he got from it with others. He had a tv show to boot that was very mildly popular while he was living, but it had since enjoyed a resurgence by today's youth.  

To think that retired CIA people may have other talents or want to pursue other activities in retirement must be an odd thought to some.

CIA people never retire.

Ross did 20yrs in the USAF, Vietnam era and retired senior enlisted. Soooo, he had a clearance. Plausible.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Can anybody determine what Walt Kowalsky did officially at CIA?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I watched Bob Ross kill five men with a paint brush. 
View Quote

[[[ A Fucking Paint Brush..!! ]]]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
USAF DI and when he was done with that, he never wantee to scream ever again.
View Quote

I always thought he looked familiar.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It appears that in 1980, PBS started a war with CIA

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP90-00806R000100140095-1.pdf
View Quote
PBS is now at war with the truth and freedom. All with taxpayer funds. Ain't America great ?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top