Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#1]
EM from my Marxist US house rep - look at all of our money being redistributed to friends of the regime, no doubt.  This is how it works, you need to kickback to the elite to make your business successful - in other words bribe the elite to get stuff.   Will this result in anything other than further nepotistic  squanderance of our monies and further enrichment to those providing the .gov subsidized and paid for systems?  

I just heard a story about a 2nd Solyndra fiasco - to wit: Proterra - a COMPLETE AND UTTER FAILURE - Proterra, an electric bus company that received heavy backing from President Joe Biden’s administration, filed for bankruptcy on Monday.

The Burlingame, California-based EV company has been a source of controversy for the Biden administration because Biden’s Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm hyped the company in her official capacity despite the fact that she previously served on Proterra’s board and held over a million dollars worth of stock in the company even after she was confirmed as the head of Biden’s Energy Department.

The Email;

Dear Neighbor,

After decades of disinvestment in infrastructure and clean energy, President Biden and Congressional Democrats have turned things around for the United States. Historic legislation -- including the American Rescue Plan, the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, the CHIPS and Science Act, and the Inflation Reduction Act -- has set a clear path forward for our nation’s critical investments.

That legislation has allowed the Biden-Harris Administration to commit nearly $300 billion so far for public infrastructure and clean energy in America, including:  

$177 billion for roads, bridges, public transit, seaports and airports, electric school and transit buses, EV charging, and more.
$103 billion for grants, rebates, and other initiatives to accelerate the deployment of clean energy, clean buildings, and clean manufacturing.
$16.5 billion to make our communities more resilient to climate change.
$22.3 billion to provide clean water and improve water infrastructure, including $5.7B dedicated to lead pipe and service line replacement.
But those public investments are just the tip of the iceberg. Under the Biden-Harris Administration, private companies have announced $503 billion so far in commitments to invest in 21st Century industries, including:

$231 billion for semiconductors and electronics
$133 billion for electric vehicles and batteries
$103 billion for clean energy

$19 billion for biomanufacturing
$14 billion for heavy industry
Together, these public and private investments represent a renaissance for American manufacturing and a revitalization of aging American infrastructure. I am proud to have worked with the Administration and my colleagues in Congress to make them happen.

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Will never understand how getting money back (even though they tax it again) on what was a  forced deduction by the US GOV from one's own paycheck is considered here to be money one did not work for, ie welfare.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#3]
We could end deficit spending entirely by eliminating all foreign aid, welfare queens, and illegal aliens!
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So unemployment isn’t welfare?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Politicians are fucking lying bastards. An inherent problem with government run welfare programs. SSA isn’t paying any of your money back. Current tax payers are.

Nobody pays into welfare to earn a check.  There's a difference, but GD likes to pretend it's the same thing.

Is an insurance payout welfare?   I get what you are trying to do...shall we continue?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the solution is simple - take everyone's 401Ks and TSPs, its the right thing to do. Just like college loan forgiveness. You were able to save money and invest it - you should share it with people who couldn't afford to  /sarcasm

They need to do something to curb SS, I think they'll start taking it away from people with a certain net worth or other government pension. Over $1 million in your 401k - you don't qualify for SS. You receive a military retirement - you no longer qualify for SS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Will never understand how getting money back (even though they tax it again) on what was a  forced deduction by the US GOV from one's own paycheck is considered here to be money one did not work for, ie welfare.
View Quote

When your character is such that you blame others for the insecurities, misunderstandings or failures in your life, it's quite understandable.  With proper education and guidance, in most cases that behavior can be modified, I do believe
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From my chatgpt calculations:

Let's calculate the hypothetical federal deficit for the past ten years by subtracting the Social Security outlays. Here's an approximation based on available data up to September 2021:

**Year** - **Reported Federal Deficit (in billions)** - **Social Security Outlays (in billions)** - **Hypothetical Deficit (in billions)**

1. **2011** - $1,300 - $725 = $575
2. **2012** - $1,087 - $773 = $314
3. **2013** - $679 - $808 = -$129 (surplus)
4. **2014** - $485 - $848 = -$363 (surplus)
5. **2015** - $438 - $882 = -$444 (surplus)
6. **2016** - $585 - $910 = -$325 (surplus)
7. **2017** - $665 - $945 = -$280 (surplus)
8. **2018** - $779 - $987 = -$208 (surplus)
9. **2019** - $984 - $1,059 = -$75 (surplus)
10. **2020** - $3,132 - $1,091 = $2,041

View Quote

end it in its entirety starting with OPs age group with no refund or consideration to what you were forced to pay into it, I’ll still get the SS insurance I PAID for and youre on your own
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think the solution is simple - take everyone's 401Ks and TSPs, its the right thing to do. Just like college loan forgiveness. You were able to save money and invest it - you should share it with people who couldn't afford to  /sarcasm

They need to do something to curb SS, I think they'll start taking it away from people with a certain net worth or other government pension. Over $1 million in your 401k - you don't qualify for SS. You receive a military retirement - you no longer qualify for SS.
View Quote

Anything like that is wrong.  Means testing is wrong.   Giving benefits to poor people is wrong.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is an insurance payout welfare?   I get what you are trying to do...shall we continue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Politicians are fucking lying bastards. An inherent problem with government run welfare programs. SSA isn’t paying any of your money back. Current tax payers are.

Nobody pays into welfare to earn a check.  There's a difference, but GD likes to pretend it's the same thing.

No, an insurance claim payment is not welfare.

SS is not insurance. There is no contract. The defined “benefits” can be changed unilaterally. There is no voluntary exchange or consideration. SS is simply a wealth transfer from current owners to current retirees. It happened (maybe still) to you when you worked. It’s happening to me now. I’d prefer it not happen to my children and grandchildren.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]
SS costs too much, but no one wants to see old people on the street.
and
No one wants to work.

These two problems solve each other. Make it so the minimum wage is 50 cents less for people over 65. Drop SS entirely. The old people can get jobs and keep themselves out of poverty. It's not like service can get any worse.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do I get all of the money I paid in back?  If not, then fuck off.
View Quote

Yep. Let me invest the money I paid for my retirement.  Give it back with fucking interest.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Let's calculate the hypothetical federal deficit for the past ten years by subtracting the Social Security outlays. Here's an approximation based on available data up to September 2021:

View Quote

SS isn’t the reason we have such a bad deficit.  By law, SS is self-funded.  When the SS trust hits $0, SS payments will automatically reduce to match incoming payroll taxes.

Our deficit is largely because of a) Medicare (which is only 40% funded by premiums and payroll taxes) and b) defense spending.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Morning OP. Here's a little response to your latest diatribe on Social Security.

BTW, my check drops next Wednesday.  

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/210/197/446.jpg
View Quote

My gosh, is it almost the third Wednesday of the month already?

GD should declare a moratorium on these SS threads. No one's opinion is changing anybody's mind, and SS remains one of the most supported programs in the US. It isn't going anywhere.

Pertinent, and from the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities:  

- Social Security’s nearly universal nature ensures its continued popular and political support. Large majorities of Americans say they oppose cuts to Social Security because they value it for themselves, their families, and millions of others who rely on it.

- Social Security benefits are also modest by international standards. The U.S. ranks just outside the bottom third of developed countries in the percentage of an average worker’s earnings replaced by the public pension system.

- The trustees estimate that, if policymakers took no further action, Social Security’s combined Old-Age and Survivors Insurance (OASI) and Disability Insurance trust funds would be exhausted in 2034. After the trust fund reserves are depleted, even if policymakers took no further action, Social Security could still pay three-fourths of scheduled benefits, relying on Social Security taxes as they are collected. Alarmists who claim that Social Security won’t be around when today’s young workers retire either misunderstand or misrepresent the projections. The long-term gap between Social Security’s projected income and promised benefits is estimated at 1.3 percent of GDP over the next 75 years.

- Without Social Security benefits, about 4 in 10 adults aged 65 and older would have incomes below the poverty line.

Read that last bullet carefully. The numbers show almost no one whining about the SS tax would "privately invest" the funds if it was eliminated. They'd buy a jet ski, or more video games, and end up in that 40% living below the poverty line when they became too old, sick or disabled to work. We have SS because half of our countrymen are fat, stupid and undisciplined...and that's never going to change.

Facts about Social Security
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We wouldn't end deficit spending by eliminating social security.

The assholes would simply something else to spend it on, like more drag shows in elementary schools.
View Quote

Strongly agree.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

end it in its entirety starting with OPs age group with no refund or consideration to what you were forced to pay into it, I’ll still get the SS insurance I PAID for and youre on your own
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

**Year** - **Reported Federal Deficit (in billions)** - **Social Security Outlays (in billions)** - **Hypothetical Deficit (in billions)**

I don’t know OPs age but I bet his willing to accept these terms. Most people advocating to end SS understand those currently or close to retirement will continue to receive payments. I’ve said it in this thread and others but I’m ok paying for the rest of my career if it means my children and grandchildren don’t have to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
SS costs too much, but no one wants to see old people on the street.
and
No one wants to work.

These two problems solve each other. Make it so the minimum wage is 50 cents less for people over 65. Drop SS entirely. The old people can get jobs and keep themselves out of poverty. It's not like service can get any worse.
View Quote

Man you’re so close. Let’s just drop the min wage entirely?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Really can’t understand why this is a hard concept to grasp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid into the system for 50 years. If you think you're going to take something away from me what I paid for, you've got another think coming.

You didn’t pay into anything. You paid taxes. The governs t took your taxes and spent it. There is nothing to give back to you, your money is gone.

Really can’t understand why this is a hard concept to grasp.

Because it is deceptive, misleading and inaccurate?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is car insurance welfare?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

SS is not insurance. There is no contract. The defined “benefits” can be changed unilaterally. There is no voluntary exchange or consideration. SS is simply a wealth transfer from current owners to current retirees. It happened (maybe still) to you when you worked. It’s happening to me now. I’d prefer it not happen to my children and grandchildren.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said unemployment insurance...I think you are getting your own quotes mixed up.  I didn't say Social Security is insurance, and neither did you.

We pay Social Security taxes, and there's a benefit attached.   We pay unemployment insurance, and there's a benefit attached.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do you understand how Unemployment is funded?

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Unemployment Insurance program is funded through unemployment insurance taxes paid by employers and collected by the state and federal government. The taxes are part of the often-discussed payroll taxes all employers pay. Employers pay federal taxes of 6 percent on the first $7,000 in annual income earned by every employee. Employers who pay on time get a tax break at 5.4 percent.

How unemployment is paid for.

Does that sound like welfare to you?

@MK3110
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Poor Keek, he has such a hatred of boomers and anything that’s boomer related in his mind.
Reminds me of someone else and their TDS, never misses a chance to bad mouth them and try to spread hate and discontent.

Cope harder man.
View Quote

Couldn't of said it better .
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Feel free to cut my SS.  Just repay my contributions with interest and deduct what you've already paid.  I'd LOVE to see that happen.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I have always wondered what the breaking point would be for American tax payers. Personally I have always thought it would be the day the gov't tries to seize their retirement savings for redistribution.

A few years ago some bond billionaire said that he could fix the 150 trillion in unfunded mandates instantly by raising the age to receive SS and Medicare to the avg age off life expectancy.  Imagine that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This exactly. Give me a check for all of the money I was forced to pay in if you cancel the program. End welfare, food stamps and section 8 housing to start. Then freeze government hiring for 10 years for every agency except the military. Then start agency layoffs. 10% a year for the next 6 years to start. Start divesting the government of your office space.  Social security disability was made easier to get for people who never worked under Clinton.
View Quote

Let's not forget VA disability abuse .
Just as big of scam as SSDI
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is my auto insurer the State? You do understand the difference between private and public entities correct? The difference between premiums and taxes?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm not being implicit.  What do you call someone who uses a third party to take money out of someone else's wallet against his will, at gunpoint if necessary, and put it into your own wallet?  Is that not thievery?  Does the fact that someone else did that to you previously make it any less thievery?

You may not like it put that way.  It might make you upset or uncomfortable to think about it in those terms.  But that is the reality of SS.  And SS is a welfare program, and anyone receiving it is receiving welfare.  It is fundamentally structured the same as any other welfare program.  All of them entail the forceful redistribution of wealth.
View Quote

Like any other taxes you pay , they are redistribution .... duh
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Means testing is coming. It already exists through WEP and GPO. Interestingly there’s a bill in congress to exclude federal retirees who did not pay into SS from WEP penalties on other outside SS taxed income so as to get them full SS payments. The bill has strong support from congress. Must be good to be one of the kings men lol.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep. Let me invest the money I paid for my retirement.  Give it back with fucking interest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The money you paid in is gone. It was already given away. You can only get it back by it being taken from someone else.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
GD should declare a moratorium on these SS threads. No one's opinion is changing anybody's mind, and SS remains one of the most supported programs in the US. It isn't going anywhere.
View Quote

If it is so highly supported it shouldn't need to be mandatory.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Have you calculated the impact of the lost social security taxes?   Social security looks like it’s a deficit because the tax collected are used to fund interdepartmental loans.  While I wish social security never existed ibut t’s funded and the proceeds “stolen” as previously mentioned.  SS then receives non-negotiable treasuries or as one would say IOUs.  Three trillion of the national debt is money “borrowed” from social security.  Shut it down, stop taking the tax from payroll and another tax will go up to fund the deficit that was filled by social security payroll deductions.  However, it would least be transparent.

If the three trillion bucks were returned or never taken it would be a self-sustaining fund not requiring anymore taxation.  In fact I believe it would be the largest sovereign wealth fund. But I’d be all for getting rid of it and I paid in my entire life and at the max since the mid-90s.  Bush was a dope but he was right when he said put social security in private accounts.  I’d be a huge winner on that deal.
View Quote

Ur right but the boomer haters are to dense or to bitter to care .
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@MK3110
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Unemployment Insurance program is funded through unemployment insurance taxes paid by employers and collected by the state and federal government. The taxes are part of the often-discussed payroll taxes all employers pay. Employers pay federal taxes of 6 percent on the first $7,000 in annual income earned by every employee. Employers who pay on time get a tax break at 5.4 percent.

@MK3110

Yes. Quite literally meets the definition. Not all welfare recipients are hood rats or trailer trash.

The term welfare refers to a range of government programs that provide financial or other aid to individuals or groups who cannot support themselves. Welfare programs are typically funded by taxpayers and allow people to cope with financial stress during rough periods of their lives. In most cases, people who use welfare will receive a biweekly or monthly payment. The goals of welfare vary as it looks to promote the pursuit of work, education, or, in some instances, a better standard of living.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This shit again? You need a new and less annoying hobby.
View Quote

He can't help himself... generational hate is strong with this one .
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nope. They are stealing.

Cut BOTH
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cut EBT instead.
At least SS recipients worked and paid taxes for years.

Nope. They are stealing.

Cut BOTH

Uh, no. Fuck EBT, cut it off after 90 days.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#35]
".... Sorry, but your shitty parents and grandparent ripped you off and you get nothing. But you don't have to pay in anymore."    
Wrong. Place the blame where it belongs.  
Your shitty politicians "running" the country ripped everyone off by manipulating this Ponzi scheme.  If they had left it alone as intended, it probably would have worked out okay.  But these shitbags saw how much money was in the "account" and decided to use it for their own agendas.  
Every f'n politician that voted to change the rules and access that money for other than what it was originally intended for should forfeit all their assets and be returned to the original fund. They can keep their government pension for their "service".  F'n thieves.  
Someone on here years ago had a timeline of all the times SS was tampered with by your politicians.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Another fucking troll
View Quote

These two buddy up on their boomer hate on just about every boomer hate thread .
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Cut out ebt, money given to other countries,  do away with 95 percent of the alphabet agencies and we could right the ship pretty quick
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
How much from the general fund goes into Social Security? That will determine how much your little idea would actually do.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Deficit spending is the lifeblood of progress
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why it won't end.

FDR was brilliant tying it to a special social security tax.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

FWIW I was told the exact same thing in 1974……

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm fully aware that SS will not exist in its current form when I reach that age in 26 years, so I'm planning accordingly. It's a Ponzi scheme for those in my age group and younger.

FWIW I was told the exact same thing in 1974……

And they modified the program in 1983 because of the boomers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

58 been paying in since a teenager, kill it now and empty my account.
As long as I don't see the tax or any replacement tax coming out of my check again, I'm good.
View Quote

You don't have to sign up when tge time comes or better yet you could just hand off ur benifits tou your progeny.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well, that’s certainly the libtard way of looking at it.  Howabout, It’s ALL Fraud.  

They don’t deserve free handouts, and I don’t deserve to be enslaved into paying for it.
View Quote

So how about federal subsidies for agriculture, energy, or transportation? Federal spending on prisons? National parks and museums?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Nope. They are stealing.

Cut BOTH
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cut EBT instead.
At least SS recipients worked and paid taxes for years.

Nope. They are stealing.

Cut BOTH

What the fuck are you smoking?  Social Security is taken from you during your working life, then returned to you when you retire.  How is that "stealing"?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Did you subtract the SS expense and the FICA taxes collected? My guess is that you did not deduct the FICA taxes collected. Up until 2021 the FICA taxes exceeded the SS expense. The estimated SS shortfall in 2023 is $53B.

What triggered your latest attack on SS? This isn’t the first time you have advocated stealing money from seniors.

Source
View Quote

It's not really about SS, it's about resentment.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The day you collect more than you put in, it is Precisely that:  Welfare.  

How long have you been collecting?    Tell the truth.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Cut 1.4 trillion from the defense budget.

Done deal.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Deficit spending is the lifeblood of progress war.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#50]
An easier way to end deficit spending is having congress pass a law requiring that all branches of government only spend as much as they have in the budget with no borrowing, no postponing payments, in other words that government "live within their means" just like the citizens have to do.  

I would also like to have a requirement that a certain percentage of the federal income be used to pay down the national debt.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top