Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/25/2017 8:30:43 PM EDT
OK, so i have saved my silver coins and melted them down.

Silver is very hard on the rifling, maybe i use a smooth bore shotgun like Kolchak.

Maybe i use a patched round ball in a muzzle loader.

My question is;  If the ball passes all the way through and EXITS, does it still kill the werewolf?
Or does it have to stay inside his/her body for full effect?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Only if they are shot through the urethra. Otherwise the bullet has to stay lodged in the werewolf.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it must stay inside the werewolf.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know, but I always wondered if wooden AK ammo would work on Vampires.     They're meant to be used with a muzzle blank adapter device, so perhaps without one the wood would hold together and work.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Underworld movies seem to indicate that it needs to stay in the wolf to be effective, but maybe a pass through creates a wound that won't heal like a lead bullet would. That's up for debate.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
MHI ammo works great. The MCB has better stuff, but the manufacturer won't sell to anyone else.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dupe
View Quote
You fucker!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You fucker!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dupe
You fucker!

Where do I get my dupe police badge?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Silver is very hard on the rifling, maybe i use a smooth bore shotgun like Kolchak.

My question is;  If the ball passes all the way through and EXITS, does it still kill the werewolf?
View Quote

I didn't know Kolchak had an encounter with a werewolf?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The shot needs to be a fatal hit and the silver must stay in to keep the beast from regenerating. Fire also works wonders on lycanthropes. Decapitate the corpse to be safe.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#13]
The simplest method would be to load a stack of dimes in a 12 gauge shell.

Close range, it might work.  A dime would most likely not penetrate a werewolf.

The next easiest method would be to silver plate conventional bullets with a very thin layer of silver.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kolchak could slay the night stalkers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I didn't know Kolchak had an encounter with a werewolf?
View Quote
Yup, on the cruise ship.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#16]
The werewolf legends all say that silver will kill a werewolf. The problem with this is that when these legends were written the metal mercury was thought of as a kind of silver. It was called quicksilver. Mercury can form an ally with silver but it is completely unrelated to silver. Mercury is a relatively poor conductor of heat but is a good conductor of electricity and it can also be used in silvering mirrors. Alchemists often thought of mercury as the first matter from which all metals were formed. It turns out that there could be a mistake in the translation that silver will kill werewolves. It is very possible that the actual metal used to defeat the were-beast was actually mercury. Better carry silver and mercury bullets just to be safe!
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#17]
You kids...

You know them shotgunz that all the "pro's from Dover" love to hate...?

Just get a few bags of these and load your own 12ga ammo...

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Only if they are shot through the urethra. Otherwise the bullet has to stay lodged in the prostate.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You kids...

You know them shotgunz that all the "pro's from Dover" love to hate...?

Just get a few bags of these and load your own 12ga ammo...

http://www.images-apmex.com/images/Catalog%20Images/Products/44273_Obv.jpg?v=20130101120000&width=900&height=900
View Quote

Looks like their shot tower wasn't high enough.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's a sash like the hall monitor. You can buy your own tiara.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#21]
So what's the current Texas rates for werewolf hunts?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Can you also kill a werewolf by cutting his head off?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I prefer swords when battling werewolves
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can you also kill a werewolf by cutting his head off?
View Quote
I don't know the canon on that.

But remember that Lon Cheney, Jr killed the wolf that attacked him with a silver handled walking stick.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Unless you have a really bad werewolf problem in your AO, you're probably not going to shoot enough silver bullets to do much barrel damage.
If you're still concerned, however, you'd probably want to use a barrel with polygonal rifling, and/or size your silver bullets right at groove diameter, instead of 2-3 thousandths over like you would with lead. A Christian cross carved, stamped, or molded into the nose of the bullet is recommended.

Far more important than those technical issues, you need to find a Catholic priest to bless the bullets, preferably with a little sprinkling of holy water. Dunno if an Anglican or Episcopalian priest would suffice, but I doubt it. Best to stick to the tried-and-true. That will probably necessitate a trip to Cajun country. There are still some bayou priests who know that evil things from the other world prowl the bayous (bayoux?) and won't see the request as odd; your common-or-garden big city priest will sneer at the "superstition" and accuse you of sacrilege.

Finally, you must take into account the geographic origin of said werewolves. If your priest doesn't have any advice on technique, you're left with using historical precedent. The accepted techniques for permanently destroying werewolves, vampires, and other demonic were-beasts have varied from region to region, often times overlapping between not only regions, but between the creatures.
Since "overkill" is impossible, a combination of silver bullet, wooden stake, silver cross placed in the mouth, decapitation, fire, and burial face-down at an unmarked crossroads with a wooden cross on their back should cover most of the Western Hemisphere were-beasts.

Sure, it's a lot of work, but these are not things a wise man does by half-measures.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#26]
"Have you ever seen what a dollar and eighty will do to a fourty dollar steer?"
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aw shucks.  Wanted the whole ensemble at once.  Gonna have to save for a while.  Price of hot pockets has gone up.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So what's the current Texas rates for werewolf hunts?
View Quote
Probably like hog hunts, outrageous.  "Hey, we have this werewolf problem and we would like you to come take care of it and also pay us a buttload of cash, sound good?"
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Aw shucks.  Wanted the whole ensemble at once.  Gonna have to save for a while.  Price of hot pockets has gone up.
View Quote
Jeminy Crickets!  Give me youR size and i will make you a tiara out of leftover .45 brass and spent CCI primers.  

PIGBAT has got all religion into it.  This is NOT a vampire, it's a damn werewolf!
No religion, only angry teeth and biting, and stuff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#30]

She's on my team.

I'll have my Prussian saber
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Had a coupon at Cabelas!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Jeminy Crickets!  Give me youR size and i will make you a tiara out of leftover .45 brass and spent CCI primers.  

PIGBAT has got all religion into it.  This is NOT a vampire, it's a damn werewolf!
No religion, only angry teeth and biting, and stuff.
View Quote
Ummm...yes religion.
I'm not interested in what Hollywood and modern-day fiction writers portray, I'm talking about real werewolves. According to all the texts written waaaay back when they were taken extremely seriously, since the very nature of demonic beasts is Satanic, religion (specifically Christianity) is inherent in the killing / destruction of were-beasts and vampires. They are both demonic, and, like it or not, ya'll need some Jesus if you're gonna go up against them.

Now, if your werewolf is some millennial-age, sparkly, atheistic Hollyweird bullshit creation who's trying to convince some bimbo to choose bestiality instead of necrophilia, then by all means kill it however the movies and books would have you do it.
Just don't come crying to me when you run up on an old-school, Dark Ages Eastern-Europe style werewolf from the pit of Hell.

As to the issue of mercury in a different post above, there is merit to the concept. I vaguely recall a discussion on the cast boolit list a few years ago prompted by a passing reference in one of Samuel Baker's books talking about making mercury-lead alloy bullets for his his 2-bore heavy rifle (yes, he used a 2-bore: each bullet weighed a half-pound). Since mercury vaporizes quite dangerously when heated, it's not clear whether Baker was allowing liquid mercury to alloy with the lead at room temp, or what. A mercury-silver alloy would certainly be possible, but I'm not clear on either the practicality nor safety of that idea.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#33]
My question is:  Does it have to be a silver bullet?  Could it be a silver arrowhead?  What if you made a silver head for a boar or jaguar hunting spear?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My question is:  Does it have to be a silver bullet?  Could it be a silver arrowhead?  What if you made a silver head for a boar or jaguar hunting spear?
View Quote
Were-beasts have been described since well before firearms were in common (or even uncommon) use, so you're good.
Pretty ballsy, but you probably get voted as king if you survive the encounter.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#35]
The silver must come from a cross, blessed by a priest.

The cross must be melted down by the one who casts the bullets.

Only then will they kill the beast.

To answer OPs question, any damage done by the silver will not heal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I cast a 50 caliber wad cutter... but that was more to consolidate a lot of little pieces into one slug.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Any damage done by the silver is permanent.  Even an alloy bullet - the damage the silver bits do will remain.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
MHI ammo works great. The MCB has better stuff, but the manufacturer won't sell to anyone else.
View Quote
You know, I was thinking about this yesterday. They use a silver sintered polymer I thought, how does that work? Going off the frangible rounds we use at work that just turn to power when we hit anything. Wouldn't that be like shooting somebody with #8 shot, sandblasts the surface and hurts like Hell but doesn't actually dig in there and do any damage.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#39]
You guys will think I'm nuts or entertain the idea.. or both.

Look back at fairy tales legends and lore through the centuries.

You have tales of "don't go to the castle, keep your children away...  witch in the woods who eats children...

Giants, the Nephiliam, sex with human women, genetic lines and engineering..

Biblically speaking, and I know in Indian lore this stuff was believed and I think a reality. too many coincidences in the stories...

Well... we know that in cultist circles and satanism/baal worship ect... even today people do bad things to children, the nobility of old Europe was doing that stuff.
blood drinking vampires? apparently after torture the blood is loaded with adrenaline, = a high,  people torture and kill.  and... eat.

This stuff still goes on today.  

My point is there is a bit of truth behind these "stories."

What is the source of the werewolf and silver belief? we know silver has been used to purify water for ages.  

could have there been a disease, a mania?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You know, I was thinking about this yesterday. They use a silver sintered polymer I thought, how does that work? Going off the frangible rounds we use at work that just turn to power when we hit anything. Wouldn't that be like shooting somebody with #8 shot, sandblasts the surface and hurts like Hell but doesn't actually dig in there and do any damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beats me. I asked Franks, but he just answered, "Classified."
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I dont remember anything about polymer, just that they were sintered metal, I figured probably with some lead. My guess is Correlia just picked an elaborate and expensive way to make them since they're government issue.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Live Bullet vs Silver Nitrate - Grows SILVER Crystals before your eyes!

will a silver plating work I'm a cheap bastard
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Why not silver buckshot in a steel rated barrel/choke?
Or go with silver bullet in sabots?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is such an asshole!

But don't tell him I said that....
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Why not silver buckshot in a steel rated barrel/choke?
Or go with silver bullet in sabots?
View Quote
the sabots would work very well I used to have 50 cal Remington rolling block pistols & would use .50 muzzle loading sabots loaded with 45 cal slugs to shoot them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Couldn't you just shove some silver or wood or whatever into a HP round, seems like it would work for this
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You have tales of "don't go to the castle, keep your children away...  witch in the woods who eats children...

Biblically speaking, and I know in Indian lore this stuff was believed and I think a reality. too many coincidences in the stories...

Well... we know that in cultist circles and satanism/baal worship ect... even today people do bad things to children, the nobility of old Europe was doing that stuff.
blood drinking vampires? apparently after torture the blood is loaded with adrenaline, = a high,  people torture and kill.  and... eat.

What is the source of the werewolf and silver belief? we know silver has been used to purify water for ages.  

View Quote
Absolutely there was a disease. It still exists: Congenital erythropoetic porphyria. Very simplified, it's a genetic defect in the production of the hemoglobin molecule. The badly-formed molecules are porphyrins, which cause skin lesions, photosensitivity, increased hair growth, and reddened teeth, as well as defects in cartilage and bone formation.
So, you get this somewhat deformed person who has lots of hair all over their body, only goes out at night, has oozing sores, and (apparently) bloody teeth.
Add in a few people killed by wolves at night (they were still a big problem back then) with a healthy dose of superstition, a pinch of judgement of God, and the guy with porphyria gets labeled as a werewolf.
Every culture has its regionally-appropriate were-beast, based on whatever local critter is the feared man-killer. Pacific islanders have were-sharks, for example: wolves are rather thin on the ground in those parts. There are were-snakes, were-jaguars, were-crocodiles, etc., etc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Couldn't you just shove some silver or wood or whatever into a HP round, seems like it would work for this
View Quote
That would be my plan.  Fill a nice deep HP with silver and maybe apply some kind of sealer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:29:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Absolutely there was a disease. It still exists: Congenital erythropoetic porphyria. Very simplified, it's a genetic defect in the production of the hemoglobin molecule. The badly-formed molecules are porphyrins, which cause skin lesions, photosensitivity, increased hair growth, and reddened teeth, as well as defects in cartilage and bone formation.
So, you get this somewhat deformed person who has lots of hair all over their body, only goes out at night, has oozing sores, and (apparently) bloody teeth.
Add in a few people killed by wolves at night (they were still a big problem back then) with a healthy dose of superstition, a pinch of judgement of God, and the guy with porphyria gets labeled as a werewolf.
Every culture has its regionally-appropriate were-beast, based on whatever local critter is the feared man-killer. Pacific islanders have were-sharks, for example: wolves are rather thin on the ground in those parts. There are were-snakes, were-jaguars, were-crocodiles, etc., etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, Learn something new everyday.  That makes sense, this I found interesting. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/born-to-the-purple-the-st/

Interestingly, the heme pigment is robust enough to survive digestion, and is absorbed from the intestine (even though the protein parts of hemoglobin are broken down). This means that, in principle, it is possible to relieve the symptoms of porphyria by drinking blood--another possible link with the vampire stories.
I wonder where the silver link is... or was that what they happened to have on hand to stabby stabby, or knew it killed bad stuff? (diseases in water)
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Now, if your werewolf is some millennial-age, sparkly, atheistic Hollyweird bullshit creation who's trying to convince some bimbo to choose bestiality instead of necrophilia, then by all means kill it however the movies and books would have you do it.
Just don't come crying to me when you run up on an old-school, Dark Ages Eastern-Europe style werewolf from the pit of Hell.
View Quote
I fukkin' love this site...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top