BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In that specific event the cop ran instead of drawing his gun. Let's think about if he did draw his gun and tried stopping the thread by shooting. Would he have been better off with a 9mm / 40 cal with hollow points, or a 22lr revolver? I'm taking the 9mm / 40cal any day of the week. I simply don't think 22lr has enough energy to stop a determined attacker. I mentioned that video more so to show that sometimes you need to end a threat very quickly in a short manner.
View Quote

What if the cop had a shotgun instead? Does that mean op needs to carry the shotgun since it is more effective? What if op only wants to carry .22 and if he does not have one he won’t carry and is unarmed? I am not saying 22 is the best option at all. Reliability is the downside, not effectiveness. I wouldn’t carry anything less than 9mm after watching that video. But I promise you that cop would have loved to be holding a 22 in his hand instead of turning to run away in retrospect
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Why?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#3]
…. I know a guy who carries a Ruger  SR 22 as his primary.
(Any DA-SA is safer for appendix carry, thumb over hammer holstering. )
“It may be little but it hurts”
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I've carried a Walther PP in .22lr many times since I acquired it about 40 years ago.  There are only 8 rounds in the magazine.

The other carry .22 is my Umarex built Beretta 92 and that one has a 15 shot magazine.

Find some ammunition that you have full faith in, that works perfectly in your carry piece.  For me, that has been the Remington Golden HP cartridge.

CCI Stingers were carried at times, but I've had some duds with that since the Pandemic.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Beretta 21a maximum concealment in a semi auto.
View Quote

This is the answer.  Mine has been completely dependable with quality ammunition.  I wonder if all the talk about unreliable .22 ammunition is a holdover from another day.  
The Beretta has about zero recoil, so you can empty it into a target very quickly.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock 44
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
LCP-II .22lr
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would a 50bmg be a good cartridge for hunting squirrels in a populated area? I think there are valid reasons for questioning the premise of a 22lr in a revolver for concealed carry.
View Quote

Great job using one heck of a stupid and clearly incomparable example.

22 rimfire was originally designed as a self defense cartridge. Is it the best? Not for most people. Is it the best for some people? Yes. If that’s all they can handle. No instance of 50BMG would fit that kind of a comparison.  If the OP wants to carry a 22, then so be it. Could be preferable because of a phisical limitation or maybe even cost so he can practice, or it’s for someone else he knows. Either way. It’s what he asked about and nothing unsafe or dangerous about it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP watch the cop knife video and tell me you would feel comfortable with a 22lr in that situation.
View Quote

I’d be more comfortable with a .22 in my hand than a .40 in a retention holster in that scenario. Fortunately my life does not require confronting mentally Ill people for pay.

The smallest caliber I carry is .380 and that’s only when belt carry is impossible due to clothing. But if someone wants to carry a .22 that’s proven itself reliable, at least they are carrying.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Beretta 21A, it's a bit picky but seems to do well with CCI mini-mag. For a defensive role I'd go with a revolver.  Rhett Neumayer has a pretty good video on the subject.

22lr for defense. Revolvers are a must. LCR and LCRx
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think probably a revolver. .22lr ain't so good.

someone sells a "self defense .22lr" round
View Quote

Federal Punch and CCI uppercut.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I own a Beretta 21.  Pocket carry is offset by its thickness, over 1” so if you are decided on .22LR, be sure to check it with respect to your carry plan.

I second some flavor revolver.  I’ve had a few CCI MiniMag fail in decades of shooting, but if I were to chose a rimfire for CCW, I wouldn’t want to play that aspect.

Control what you can, because…well, there’s isn’t a great deal in life that cares about an individual’s idea of “control.”

Maybe I missed it? Why did you decide on .22LR?  A 4” .38 Spl with target wadcutters will have ease of recoil, sights & have potential to be a better option, if needed.  Or, some of the .380s, like a CZ83.

When a gun is needed for defense—it’s a pretty dynamic field & everything you can do to optimize effectiveness like training, aimed fire at the target & caliber help your odds….at least until that fickle biotch “Lady Luck” decides to weigh in.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#13]
My 43c is almost identical to my 442 and I love shooting that little thing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#14]
NAA mini revolver, my sister carries one on her keychain, lol.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#15]
S&W 2213. Threaded barrel which sits below the slide allowing suppression while using factory sights.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Get too many duds IME
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I once had a Taurus PT 22 that I upgraded to a Barretta Bobcat and put thousands of rounds through each. Do not carry a 22LR for self defense, but if you must, a 22 revolver. A kit gun works for this purpose.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If I were going to press a .22LR in to concealed carry service it would be one of my Taurus TX-22's.  They've proven 100% reliable, with 16 round magazines that can be bumped up to 21 rounds with Wingman +5 extensions.

View Quote

This. Not typical Taurus. Mine runs perfect. I would choose over the 322 or Glock
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#19]
S&W revolver
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
S&W 2213

Or for the real baller, a chopped down American-180.
View Quote

Ooooo-Mama-san….American-180 FTW!!!

Never fired one—I’ve lusted for one since its introduction when NYC libs screamed about DOC wanting “machine guns.”

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why?
View Quote

Because freedom.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think probably a revolver. .22lr ain't so good.

someone sells a "self defense .22lr" round

Federal punch
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#23]
While I previously stated that I would carry my M18 if forced to carry a .22LR for defense, their is a drawback to carrying a rimfire revolver.  The rimfires take a little bit more pumpkin to set them off than a center fire.  Consequently, the trigger will be a little bit heavier.  Not an insurmountable problem, but it exists.  Of today's offerings, a revolver chambered for .32, firing .32 S&W long wadcutters might be the best low recoil choice, but not the most economical choice for practice.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Beretta 87 Cheetah

https://i.imgur.com/A8qciiS.jpg
View Quote

Grail gun
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Federal punch has been completely reliable in my Glock 44. I have not tested it in anything else yet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In that specific event the cop ran instead of drawing his gun. Let's think about if he did draw his gun and tried stopping the thread by shooting. Would he have been better off with a 9mm / 40 cal with hollow points, or a 22lr revolver? I'm taking the 9mm / 40cal any day of the week. I simply don't think 22lr has enough energy to stop a determined attacker. I mentioned that video more so to show that sometimes you need to end a threat very quickly in a short manner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because that full size duty pistol worked so well for the cop?

in that scenario, a real good argument can be made for a 22lr revolver of the choices given.

they were in contact fast, very fast.  Clean draw and you're in muzzle contact.

might get 0 rounds out of a 9mm or 40 vs 8 out of a LCR or 43c
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't, but if I did it would be something like this.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Smith & Wesson model 43c
View Quote

This.  .22 LR can be unreliable.  With an 8 shot wheel gun if you have a dud round, just keep pulling the trigger.  The 43c weighs nothing, and fits nicely into a pocket.  I load mine with Federal Punch for penetration.  

But I don't carry it often.  It's fits a specialty role.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#29]
American 180 or LCP 22??????????
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I have arthritis in my fingers bad now and the only caliber I can shot now is 22lr. The Ruger LCP 2 in 22lr is a good option. Easy to rack and the trigger pull ain't terrible.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Smith & Wesson model 43c
View Quote

My vote as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#32]
The TX22 compact is the most reliable rimfire -istol on the market today
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'd get a DA revolver.  If you get a dud cartridge just pull the trigger again.

Any semiautomatic that gets a dud will need to be cleared.
View Quote

I have an older Taurus PT22. It is double action and sets off virtually everything, including rounds my other guns won’t fire.

22 isn’t ideal but I love that little gun. I can’t imagine how many thousands of rounds I have through that thing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Owned a number of the small 22s over the years.  None of them are reliable enough for carry purposes.  In fairness that’s more of an ammo issue than the guns themselves.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#35]
In an era where we can buy numerous pocket-sized 9mm, why would you choose a .22LR?  Troll thread?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
With absolutely tiny guns like the LCPII in .380 - I cant imagine why anyone would want to carry .22LR

You can carry an LCP in a wallet holster or around the neck in a kydex lanyard holster.
View Quote

You aren’t that imaginative then.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In an era where we can buy numerous pocket-sized 9mm, why would you choose a .22LR?  Troll thread?
View Quote

Some people are just not up to the flash, blast and recoil of a compact 9mm.  Maybe they can handle a .22LR though. With a .22LR, they can practice a lot, which is good.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I can’t understand why no one has made a sub-compact 5.7 yet.

It seems like it would fill this niche perfectly. More powerful than .22LR, more reliable because center fire, and more reliable because it isn’t a rimmed case. It’s also low recoil, and would still have decent capacity.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I am a tried and true S&W guy.
I really love my S&W 617 10 shot with 4" barrel but it has a better than typical S&W rimfire trigger and with the 4" barrel it is a bit long for pocket carry.

Rimfire needs a heavy wack to reliably set it off. While Centerfire S&W revolvers will still be reliable with light spring kits the Rimfire S&W revolvers usually get unreliable if you mess with the springs.

I just found a used/like new Ruger LCR-X in 22 magnum .  This is the polymer frame gun with soft rubber grip , 3"barrel and a exposed hammer . The factory trigger in mine and any LCRs that I have tried is quite good , really very much like a good S&W centerfire trigger. Now 22mag is kind of silly expensive compared to 22lr but for carry and range practice that isn't a huge deal.

This gun fits in my normal front pocket of my wrangler cargo pants.

There will be lots of folks warning you off of rimfire for self defense but I understand there can be reasons. 22mag looses lots of its power in a pistol but it's way better than a sharp stick.

The 22mag lcr is a 6 shot gun ,not sure how many the 22lr holds. My feeling is any one who carries a revolver for defence should teach himself to shoot double action so it doesn't really matter if you get/find a LCR(double action only) or the LCR-X (standard single/double with hammer).

The LCR Rugers are a great value , my used/like new was a little over $500 includeing sales tax , not chump change but in my neck of the woods there is no S&W guns near that price.

if you wind up with a 22lr there is supposed to be a new ammo line called "Punch"  that is blowing away everything else out there. Think its a Federal product
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Whatever .22 pistol I chose for CC, I would take it to the range and do 200 rounds of rapid fire with Federal Punch or whatever SD round I was going to carry. For me, bulk ammo is never an option for semi auto .22s.   If I got through that with no malfunctions, I would deem it okay, although marginal for SD.  That might be a good choice for someone who is "totally not into" guns or shooting but needs a SD weapon.  I know someone like that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#42]
None.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#43]
When everyone starts carrying, everywhere, then I’ll worry about caliber.

If you carry a LCPII  everywhere you are doing better than the guys who leave their gun at home or in their car when going to work, the bar, the gym, the bank, the post office or a “safe area”.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I carry a lcp .22 every day.
View Quote
The Ruger LCP II is a great 22LR pistol.
I can hit a 1 foot plate at 25 yards with that little fucker. Runs great with Remington golden bullets for practice time.
The safety is smallish and not easy to manipulate.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#45]
For those thinking I’m a troll, you’re wrong.  

I rotate my carry guns around my land between a Glock 44 and a S&W model 64.  In the 64 I carry the first two rounds of rat shot.  I carry mainly for snakes and other critters that need delt with.  I finally found some federal punch ammo for the Glock 44.  

Half the time I forget to switch to my Glock 19 when I head to town so the punch ammo is nice.  

I’m looking to get my wife a gun to see if she’ll actually carry it.  She’s recoil sensitive.  

The Glock 44 is too big for her to conceal.   I’m thinking a small quality 22 would suit her fine.  

Just looking for suggestions, not trying to stir stuff up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The 22mag lcr is a 6 shot gun ,not sure how many the 22lr holds. My feeling is any one who carries a revolver for defence should teach himself to shoot double action so it doesn't really matter if you get/find a LCR(double action only) or the LCR-X (standard single/double with hammer).

View Quote
I do find it interesting that the Taurus 942 is 8 shots for both .22LR and .22WMR for the same size gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Love all the people here questioning it. It’s not necessarily for the op. He asked for a specific caliber as a carry gun. Don’t care about the reason.

Op,  my Ruger MK2 has always been reliable and loaded with Stingers it would just be limiting you to 10rd.

The Sig P322 with stingers is another option with 20 in the gun and 25 in the spare mag. Mine was finicky at first but after a few hundred rounds is great. I alcohol stripped the mags to get them dry as I could then dry graphite lube them. I have carried mine with stingers before. Not an ideal gun but damn if it’s fairly small with a huge capacity. Just not the most power.

My beretta 21A has always been great and no issues. However capacity is a joke. I’d suggest a 9shot j frame sized revolver as an additional option.

Or step into the Magnum range. The PMR 30 or the smith J frame in 22Mag would be additional options.
View Quote

I just want to add that I love Berettas, I own 18, the missus has half a dozen herself.  Buuuut.......when I was in major narcotics at NOPD I was in charge of the narc. armory.  We had some sweet MP5s, 14 inch Benellis, and 9 Beretta 21As, with the Berettas supposed to be used by UCs.  Out of the 9, I got 3 to function mostly reliably, and I advised against anyone carrying one, suggesting that violating the regs and toting a personal .38 or .357 was a far better idea, or if none was owned I'd loan out a 2.5 inch S&W 19 with duct tape around the grip for a UC session.  I had 4 people over the years insist on following the regs and qualifying with a Beretta 21......and exactly zero managed to get through the 60 round P.O.S.T. course without failures.  None of the guys ended up carrying one after trying one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#48]
LCP II 22
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
For those thinking I’m a troll, you’re wrong.  

I rotate my carry guns around my land between a Glock 44 and a S&W model 64.  In the 64 I carry the first two rounds of rat shot.  I carry mainly for snakes and other critters that need delt with.  I finally found some federal punch ammo for the Glock 44.  

Half the time I forget to switch to my Glock 19 when I head to town so the punch ammo is nice.  

I’m looking to get my wife a gun to see if she’ll actually carry it.  She’s recoil sensitive.  

The Glock 44 is too big for her to conceal.   I’m thinking a small quality 22 would suit her fine.  

Just looking for suggestions, not trying to stir stuff up.
View Quote

Just saw this.

If she takes to carrying a .22 regularly (and I stand by the revolver suggestion,) and gets used to it, I really suggest moving her to a .32acp instead.  My wife has a Beretta 81 as her bedside gun (she is also quite recoil averse with early arthritis,) and a Beretta model 90 Roma as a carry gun (the 81 is a bit big in the grip for CC.)  Finding a 90, and mags for it, is not easy, but would be worth a hunt if she takes to carrying at all.  Another, also hard to find, option is a Sig 230 in .32.  I have one that she shoots well, but she simply prefers her Beretta, even though they are both about the same dimensions.  (Her main issue, beyond just liking Berettas, is that my .32 230 is a Japanese contract over run, so it has both a safety and a seperate decocker, while the Beretta 90 just has a regular slide safety that also acts as a decocker.)
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Sig P365 with Federal HST 147 gr
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top