BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish there was a proper English chippy around.
View Quote

There was a chain of fish n' chips stores called "Arthur Treacher's". Probably not at all English but I thought they were OK.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to love eating at Arthur Treacher's in the 70's and 80's.

In the late 80's early 90's, the quality started going down and the price went up, probably due to the fact that cheap, quality cod fish was no longer readiliy available. That and changing tastes of consumers probably lead to the downfall of the fast seafood places.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Health craze? Everything was deep fried except the beverages.
View Quote

This actually is much of it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I love Captain D's but since doing the gym thing a year ago I stay away from a bunch of fried shit.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Greasy fried and to taste decent it has to be unhealthy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Our local LJS now has all you can eat on Sundays. I like it but haven’t eaten there in several years. The salt is so much that it leaves me bloated for days.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Ivar's, you savages.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ivar's, you savages.
View Quote

I miss Ivar's

It'll be the first meal I get next time I'm in Washington
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ivar's, you savages.
View Quote

LOL Ivar's  is great but it's almost closer to Sutton's, Danial's or Leo Burdocks to get some proper

If we're talking limited regionals, OK in Ft Myers is decent , so's Devenneys, Bubbys in Miami's a single shop but worth stopping. I miss Randy's

There's Old Bag of Nails in the Midwest  - system about the size of Ivar's but more pubbish - great traditional fish and chips tho

Salt and Battery NY and Perth Dukes in Chicago's both good if you end up there.

People mentioned Culvers - not bad but always came off pretty greasy to me when I've had it, like the cooker isn't hot enough

Far as LJ's....
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#11]
-price of product. In the 80s, fish was nowhere near as expensive as it is now, then, by the 90s, the price started climbing rapidly. Look how much a burger chain meal is now, a fish chain meal would be even more.

-change in eating habits. Most of the fish chains were mostly fried, which is not as popular and seen as unhealthy. Sure, people will eat it now and then/on vacation; it is just not a thing most people will eat often.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Decent Cod is more expensive than it used to be.

We have a CaptainD's just down the road, they seem to be surviving almost entirely on retirees. It is surprisingly cheap to eat there, I've eaten worse.

Cooke's of Dublin is good, more of an authentic Irish fish and chips place.

There's a family business, one-off restaurant not far from here that serves local wild striper and catfish in season.

Ivar's isn't bad.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There was a chain of fish n' chips stores called "Arthur Treacher's". Probably not at all English but I thought they were OK.
View Quote

There is apparently one left.  This one, the penultimate, was in the town I just moved away from.  Just closed last year.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2021/06/arthur-treachers-fish-and-chips-in-garfield-heights-has-closed.html

ETA: From the article, "The closing leaves the Arthur Treacher’s at 1833 State Road in Cuyahoga Falls [OH] as the nostalgic brand’s last remaining brick-and-mortar restaurant in the country serving the original menu."
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i am extremely picky when it comes to fish. Fresh caught by myself/family or sushi, has to be super fresh or i don't like it.

I have decided it is likely the omega 3 fatty acids in it. They break down very quickly and I think the taste of rancid omega 3s turns me off.

View Quote

You are gonna hate to know this, but most sushi is frozen.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Now I want some LJS hushpuppies.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You are gonna hate to know this, but most sushi is frozen.
View Quote

Even in Japan.  The stuff is frozen right on the boat as it's caught.

Tokyo Fish Market:

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#17]
As has already been pointed out, it's likely due to cost.

Supply is down relative to demand, especially foreign demand. Soft shell clams have been surpassing all time high prices every summer for a few years, mostly due to Japanese and Chinese demand.

Then there’s bait, rigging, gear, diesel, etc. which all cost more. Obviously that gets passed onto the consumer.  

As if all that wasn’t enough, asinine quotas have been either established or slashed to practically nothing in many fisheries, further reducing supply. For example, there are less than a handful of menhaden boats operating in Maine, where there used to be dozens. They regulatory agencies established quotas to a point where they can’t turn a profit.

Mostly arbitrary State and Federal regulations based on feels and junk science has made everything more expensive in my AO. It really pisses me of the more I think about it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#18]
We have a few Captain D's locally.  I look at the prices whenever a coupon sheet shows up in the mail--it gets more expensive with each new set of coupons.

I like Culvers as a general thing, but their fish sammich has shrunk in size and gotten more expensive, go figure.  I was pleasantly surprised when I first tried their fish dinner, the filets were of decent size, not just fried batter.  They served a roll instead of hushpuppies, though.  I guess hushpuppies aren't a thing in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#19]
nasty greasy deep fried just went out of style
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I like Captain D's well enough, but once every couple of years is plenty.  

The nearest one never seems crowded but never seems empty.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dang. I remember going to Skippers in the mid-80s. We would smash their AYCE lunch. Putting chunks of fish into cups of chowder and scooping them out using the fries. It was pretty good. No issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the topic of Skippers I used to love the place back in the early 90s AMAZING (for fast food). There was a Skippers that opened up a few years ago, and I went there. While I was there I got to meet and talk to the guy that owned the place. I asked him what ever happened and are we going to start seeing more Skippers open back up, and how was the franchise process. I have a friend that's looking into different franchises.

He told me that back in the mid to late 90s Skippers got bought in a leveraged buy our by a investment group, that then went bankrupt. The brand name was then bought by one of the investment bankers that was involved. He said that, if you want to open a Skippers this guys wants a giant cut based off of projected numbers from the books of what sales where back in the 90s rolled forward with population growth. To the point that you just can't do it, in any area that had one in the area. So you have to open little ones in gas stations or in out of the way locations that the banker doesn't have numbers for and then it's a case by case negotiation for how much he's going to get, for you to be able to use the name. It's basically a trade mark that's held hostage and the price to buy it is to high. On top of that, all your are getting is the name, you then have to go out on your own and have everyone custom made to fit the Skippers theme and menu so you stay true to the brand, but you have to sorce it and that's not a easy thing for just a few places to do, what few of them are left work together to get there stuff made. But that really cuts into the bottom line.

So in short, I think they are history. Due to investment shenanigans.

Dang. I remember going to Skippers in the mid-80s. We would smash their AYCE lunch. Putting chunks of fish into cups of chowder and scooping them out using the fries. It was pretty good. No issues.

ibuyre2, thanks for the explanation.

The malt vinegar for the fries was a nice touch, their chowder was great.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top