Winchester 97 lever action.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sturmgewehr. 1944.

Go back two years further, FG42.
View Quote

Without a doubt and it deserves repeating...even in limited quantities, there were some pretty glowing field reports of both.  The father of the Battle Rife, the FG42:

And the father of Assault Rifles (the real ones):

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
AR15 is over 60yrs old.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
GP35
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Viable by what metric? There are a lot of shitheads running around with all sorts of old weapons killing people overseas.

Viable in what role? An old bolt rifle is fine as a sniper, not as a modern battle rifle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#6]

This
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The thought exercise wasn't well thought out. In the US service, the last time a company is equipped with all but a few soldiers using the same weapon was when the US declared war on Spain.

Since militaries transitioned to fire and maneuver warfare in WWI, weapons are used to conduct a specific task as a primary function. Automatic weapons provide suppression and the base of fire. Rifles for accurate engagements. Personal defense weapons for those engaged primarily in command and control.

If you choose one weapon to do all of those tasks, you end up with what happened when it was tried with the M14. It shot itself apart when used for sustained automatic fire, the leaders found it too heavy to carry and perform their jobs, and the infantrymen wanted their Garands back because the Garands held zero better.

There is a relationship between weapons, ammunition, and tactics. Don't expect to change one part of the equation without an impact on the other parts.

There is no such thing as the perfect weapon for all occasions.

Since this is in reality a M-1 Carbine fanboy thread start, it is a versatile weapon, but in a modern context only viable as a PDW.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that was the OP making the requirement that entire companies would need to be armed with this theoretical weapon in this thought exercise and not that the weapon in question was ever general infantry issue.

The thought exercise wasn't well thought out. In the US service, the last time a company is equipped with all but a few soldiers using the same weapon was when the US declared war on Spain.

Since militaries transitioned to fire and maneuver warfare in WWI, weapons are used to conduct a specific task as a primary function. Automatic weapons provide suppression and the base of fire. Rifles for accurate engagements. Personal defense weapons for those engaged primarily in command and control.

If you choose one weapon to do all of those tasks, you end up with what happened when it was tried with the M14. It shot itself apart when used for sustained automatic fire, the leaders found it too heavy to carry and perform their jobs, and the infantrymen wanted their Garands back because the Garands held zero better.

There is a relationship between weapons, ammunition, and tactics. Don't expect to change one part of the equation without an impact on the other parts.

There is no such thing as the perfect weapon for all occasions.

Since this is in reality a M-1 Carbine fanboy thread start, it is a versatile weapon, but in a modern context only viable as a PDW.

You talk purty.  I like it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Mauser or Springfield
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If god himself came down and picked up arms he would demand an M14. But there are older useful weapons.
View Quote

The Italians did the M14 better with the BM59.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Without a doubt and it deserves repeating...even in limited quantities, there were some pretty glowing field reports of both.  The father of the Battle Rife, the FG42:

https://content.osgnetworks.tv/firearmsnews/content/photos/German-FG42-4-770.JPG

https://i.imgur.com/hFLkW41.jpeg

And the father of Assault Rifles (the real ones):

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.4750d3fb1015de1edea6d0d1e2d0537d?rik=R60YWF%2bgQ1xgag&pid=ImgRaw

https://external-preview.redd.it/w85700geO-qfz-yYHvWc_OBJYOaTjdGDG1HRUOhtLMs.jpg?auto=webp&s=f1ffd517838272eb220368bf62399207d89ee300

ROCK6
View Quote

and 30 dudes with M-16s would over run those cats..

there is a reason FG 42s are not being deployed.   YOU got to do a lot to get past modern arms.  a bunch of dudes with ARs is gonna destroy a bunch of dudes with FG 42s

Its like asking if a spitfire could compete against a F35.. there is no contest

ETA. not that a FG 42 isnt cool as fuck.. but lets be honest
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#11]
BAR platform.

Updates would be composite stock, composite fore grip, optics mount, and magazine size.

Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Italians did the M14 better with the BM59.
View Quote

They did indeed.

And it was still obsolete-on-arrival.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
BAR platform.

Updates would be composite stock, composite fore grip, optics mount, and magazine size.

View Quote

Yep, that would be an awesome weapon.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

no windage adjustment is a set back
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The M1917 is still in limited service today and it’s a fine weapon. I had one converted to 300WM. It’s hardly “tacticool” like modern weapons, but it’s a solid rifle just the same.

no windage adjustment is a set back

I had mine swapped out with a windage-adjustable small aperture target peep sight, but you’re correct - the factory rear sight leaves a lot to be desired in the precision category. It’s still a solid infantry rifle though, if the sights are set accurately.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Pikes
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#16]
If replying to the OP, in which your opponent is equipped with modern firearms, anyone who said a bladed weapon, sharp stick, or any other non-box magazine fed semi auto is fertilizer.

Oldest I’d go is an OG Type 1 Avtomat Kalashnikov.

Milled receiver is heavier, but gets me an extra decade over the AKM and they use the same mags and ammo.

SKS stripper clips suck so I’ll take the heavy Commie Cunt as the least ineffective to drive off the AFT hordes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Horse maybe.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

NUCLEAR Trebuchet.
View Quote
Crew fired, once.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you truly expect it to hold its own on a modern battlefield, then you need a modern assault rifle.

Even bone stock AR/AK's don't really meat the demand.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#20]
rocks slings sharp sticks
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Properly loaded, an old S&W Hand Ejector would do most of what a military sidearm needs to do, that's what, 1896 or so?
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If there's an entire infantry unit equipped with Lewis guns, they could probably fire for days and reload the mags and the enemy would never poke their heads up. They might run into an issue with the MG34-equipped unit suggested above. The Ma Deuce infantry would die of exhaustion before getting close to the MLR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My submission is the Lewis gun. 1914 design, 22lbs (only a few pounds more than a SAW), 47 and 97 round mags, available in .30-06 so you can use AP, and a neat cooling system.  Set them up defensively and you can out range most modern carbines. You will take losses, but I imagine even armored infantry opponents would take heavy losses as well.

I agree that the Lewis gun is excellent, and AS LONG AS you have tons of pre-loaded magazines, it is probably the best "old" light machinegun there is.

The problem is when you run your magazines dry, and you need to reload them - then it can take a lot of time to refill the mags.

If there's an entire infantry unit equipped with Lewis guns, they could probably fire for days and reload the mags and the enemy would never poke their heads up. They might run into an issue with the MG34-equipped unit suggested above. The Ma Deuce infantry would die of exhaustion before getting close to the MLR.

I don't think the OP said anything about infantry.  I was assigned to a Cav unit.  Everyone in my squad had an M2 assigned to them.  (recovery squad, 7 of us)  Overall, the battalion had a lot of M2's for the number of people.  I think our cooks had at least one.  We carried them from the arms room to the motor pool.  I had one of the longer distances to go and it was a bit under 1/2 mile and only the receiver.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top