User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, wait for the Mazda CX-50 coming in the Spring
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorento or Tucson, especially the new electric ones. Fully loaded at a low price, great warranty,
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

It's one of those things I never thought about until I started commuting for work. My Impreza is low enough it's impossible to see around cars to pass. I ride motorcycles and my other car is a lifted Excursion so I'm used to being able to see
Quoted:

Maybe if they stretched it. And gave it a manual transmission.

TC
View Quote

If they stretched it you'd have an Outback. No bueno on the manual anymore though.
Quoted:

They say everything. I think it starts in 22 model year.
View Quote

Nice. I love AWD.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the Mazda CX-5.

Awesome little car.  They drive great, look decent, are economical, reliable, have great interiors, and Mazda still puts 6-speed automatics in their vehicles (no CVT's).  They are far better than anything the competition offers.  

Go test drive a Subaru, Honda, Toyota, and Mazda back to back.

You will notice a big difference with the Mazda.  Not saying the others make bad cars, but IMHO Mazda makes a better vehicle currently, and they are still priced very reasonably on the used market.

And before someone says anything about Ford/Mazda: That partnership ended in 2015.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Subaru Outback is what you seek, OP.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another vote for the Mazda CX-5.

Awesome little car.  They drive great, look decent, are economical, reliable, have great interiors, and Mazda still puts 6-speed automatics in their vehicles (no CVT's).  They are far better than anything the competition offers.  

Go test drive a Subaru, Honda, Toyota, and Mazda back to back.

You will notice a big difference with the Mazda.  Not saying the others make bad cars, but IMHO Mazda makes a better vehicle currently, and they are still priced very reasonably on the used market.

And before someone says anything about Ford/Mazda: That partnership ended in 2015.
View Quote

This is obviously someone who has driven them. As did I two years ago.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My hybrid highlander has done great work on all the snow and ice around northern VA the last week or so.

It’s 13 years old, has a quarter million miles on it, routine maintenance and I’d expect it to go another quarter million with zero problems if I weren’t about to trade up to a 4Runner.

The AWD is literally idiot proof, it just works, no buttons or any reason to think about it at all. Just drive.
View Quote

I couldn’t get my wife’s AWD Highlander out of the driveway earlier this week during the snow.  It couldn’t decide which tires to spin.  The old Expedition with regular 4x4 did fine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This topic came up at work where people were talking about foresters vs outbacks and a bunch of automotive niches I know nothing about.

Say you already have a massive petrol or Diesel engine 3/4 ton 4x4, a Rubicon, a trail rated V8 Grand Cherokee, G-wagon, X5, Land Cruiser, manual transmission FJ, 4Runner, whatever-
This is not a discussion for kick ass GD vehicles.  It’s also not the discussion for how you have kept your 1994 4Runner going for 500K miles doing all your own work.

What AWD car/CUV with great price to value ration, great mpg, great size/storage for price, great resale, can handle adverse road conditions, light off road stuff do people get?

The kind of thing you would get if your favorite daughter was going off to college in Maine or you son was starting his first job in Colorado sort of thing.  Or to recommended to someone starting out on a budget that must get to work in bad weather?  That they would not be embarrassed in.  That is available new or fairly new.

View Quote

Rav4 is probably your best bet.  They have an adventure trim that apparently has some high tech stuff that increases the off road / bad weather performance.  I don't own one or know anyone who does.  Might be worth a look.  

Of course, good luck buying in today's market with price and availability.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I couldn’t get my wife’s AWD Highlander out of the driveway earlier this week during the snow.  It couldn’t decide which tires to spin.  The old Expedition with regular 4x4 did fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My hybrid highlander has done great work on all the snow and ice around northern VA the last week or so.

It’s 13 years old, has a quarter million miles on it, routine maintenance and I’d expect it to go another quarter million with zero problems if I weren’t about to trade up to a 4Runner.

The AWD is literally idiot proof, it just works, no buttons or any reason to think about it at all. Just drive.

That is odd. I drove mine all over the area. It performed flawlessly.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's 13 years old, has a quarter million miles on it, routine maintenance and I'd expect it to go another quarter million with zero problems if I weren't about to trade up to a 4Runner.

I couldn't get my wife's AWD Highlander out of the driveway earlier this week during the snow.  It couldn't decide which tires to spin.  The old Expedition with regular 4x4 did fine.

Not sure if they are still using the same system as the 2019's, but they didn't do very well in CQ's AWD torture testing.

Toyota Highlander AWD | Diagonal test GONE BAD! | Review part 3/4

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I paid $1000 for this

Attachment Attached File

I'm not gonna not shitpost a vehicross pic in an AWD thread
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I paid $1000 for this

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/423847/20220103_122512_jpg-2233758.JPG

View Quote
Lets have an "L" shaped drag race...

I can jerk the wheel and mash the gas pedal at speed. Can you?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Subaru Outback is what you seek, OP.
View Quote

I’m not the one in the market.

If I was, I don’t think it’s tall enough for the kind of stuff I do, like to put in the back, etc.

My desired / best combo would be something like the 5.7L Hemi trail rated Full TIME AWD QUADRA-TRAC with 4LO drivetrain in the Grand Cherokee, but in a vehicle like the Wrangler Unlimited, but from Toyota.

Or a new X-Terra shaped like the old one, based on the new Frontier platform and drivetrain, but with a rea door/rear mounted spare.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I paid $1000 for this

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/423847/20220103_122512_jpg-2233758.JPG

I CAN, but I may end up looking like your avatar
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#15]
The wife wanted awd but didn't want a cross over thingy. So I bought her a new Kia K5 GT Line AWD. It has a snow setting which is awesome for her too.

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is a 2009 Hybrid, it’s got a V6 and two electric motors so it may be different in operation than that. Whatever it is, it works great for me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#17]
For AWD vehicles there is Subaru and then there is everything else. Very pleased with our Outback 2.5i. With snow tires it’s unstoppable, hauls people comfortably, gets reasonable mileage, and is cheap to maintain. Subaru is still tops if you need the best AWD performance. If you don’t there are some other good options that are not full time AWD like Mazda.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Toyota is now offering the Camry (sedan) in AWD for 26k and change.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

What’s old is new.

There were some all-track Corollas and Camrys in the late 80s, early 90s- and in certain regions were still pretty sought after in the used market for years after.  I think it was the same system on the first RAV4s.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What’s old is new.

There were some all-track Corollas and Camrys in the late 80s, early 90s- and in certain regions were still pretty sought after in the used market for years after.  I think it was the same system on the first RAV4s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s old is new.

There were quite a few in Alaska. Subaru always seemed to have the edge. The new Corolla Cross is pretty interesting and starts at $23,500 for the base AWD. On paper it's really close to the Rav so I'd like to really check them out side by side.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There were quite a few in Alaska. Subaru always seemed to have the edge. The new Corolla Cross is pretty interesting and starts at $23,500 for the base AWD. On paper it's really close to the Rav so I'd like to really check them out side by side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s old is new.

Oh yeah, in that timeframe I saw way more Subarus as well.  It’s like those GL wagons bred like rabbits.

It was like Toyota didn’t make near as many as the market wanted, and only did it for a few years.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#22]
New Ford Maverick
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, in that timeframe I saw way more Subarus as well.  It’s like those GL wagons bred like rabbits.

It was like Toyota didn’t make near as many as the market wanted, and only did it for a few years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s old is new.

It was a weird market space especially then. We also had an Eagle dealer in town so there were lots of those running around. The old Loyale and GL wagons were absolute tanks but had shit corrosion protection. Saw many more sidelined due to rust vs mechanical issues.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I’m not the one in the market.

If I was, I don’t think it’s tall enough for the kind of stuff I do, like to put in the back, etc.

My desired / best combo would be something like the 5.7L Hemi trail rated Full TIME AWD QUADRA-TRAC with 4LO drivetrain in the Grand Cherokee, but in a vehicle like the Wrangler Unlimited, but from Toyota.

Or a new X-Terra shaped like the old one, based on the new Frontier platform and drivetrain, but with a rea door/rear mounted spare.
View Quote

Brother in law is 6'4, he routinely uses my sister's outback when he has to drive more than 10 miles. His Daily drive is either a lexus Fsport(5 liter v8 ..., or a 91 land cruiser) . His improved MPG and such using her rig makes it worth it. they both love it for camping trips(car campiong) and my nephew likes it too(he is 18 months old so his vote only counts half).

Ive gota forester with a 2 inch lift, 29 inch AT tires, and hang out with the tamer jeep club locally. Though my MPG did drop with those tires when i city drive, adn the lift did drop my highway a full mile per gallon to 25.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Half the replies in here will be Jeep the other half will be Tacoma’s with a snorkel… anything less you may die
View Quote

Wrong. GD 4Runner's all the things.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Being an outlier, I vote something KIA or Hyundai.

You can get a pretty darn well equipped AWD thing for under $35k with a 10 year warranty.

We went palisade, its a bit outside the budget of $35k, but we walked away from the dealership for $36649 for ours brand new.

The AWD has been awesome. Comfortable and gets almost 30 mpg on the highway. The smaller vehicles will get better for sure.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#27]
We have a 4runner, X5 and Range Rover Sport.

They each fill a role.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#28]
What's the point of a awd sedan in GA?  I get by just fine in the snow belt in a fwd commuter. The cost, complexity, and fuel costs aren't worth the slight benefit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Ford Bronco. The big one.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Bentley Bentayga  with v8 not 12 cyl?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#31]
@ramairthree

Are you looking for a vehicle with a spare tire? It seems like the norm these days is just a patch kit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@ramairthree

Are you looking for a vehicle with a spare tire? It seems like the norm these days is just a patch kit.
View Quote

I’m not in the market for one.

It’s a niche I knew nothing about.

I am knowledgable about some other niches so I often get dragged into conservations as a “car guy.”  ( I have over a dozen, drivable, insured and registered vehicles from 1968 to 2019- 6 of which are AWD or old school 4WD)

When it comes to a frame on an SUV- I feel interior spares in the cargo area,  like on a Jeep Cherokee XJ- just kill you on interior storage.  
Under cargo area storage, like on a Grand Cherokee WK/WK2- also kill potential storage area, and suck to get at when you have to take out your cargo to get to it.
Under body spares, like on a truck or 4Runner, kill potential gas tank size, and can suck to get to in snow, ice, mud, - sometimes you can’t even get to-
And that a read door mounted spare is ideal on a true SUV.
We are too into the convenience of hatch backs for soccer moms, wannabes parallel parked at the vegan coffee shop, etc. and a lot of SUVs compromise this.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They used to be the ugly duckling of the segment, but they grew up well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just bought a Rav4 2022 it should be in this weekend I hope

I really like the wife's '19 RAV4.

https://nextcloud.fstech.ltd/s/W9qyNbNj9WaonBB/preview

QFT
The early 2000s Highlander, RAV, and Honda CRV appeared to be 95% owned by 60+ year old women.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 12:06:55 AM EDT
[#34]
I’d probably buy a new Camry or RAV4 awd.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#35]
RAV4. We live in the mountains up north. With snow tires they are mountain goats. Wife got one and it was so good I got another (hybrid) for commuting, as the truck was killing me in gas with FJB prices. They drive great and have been ridiculously reliable. My local dealer is not marking them up but you do have to wait a couple months after you order one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I can't believe no one suggested Audi yet.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

QFT
The early 2000s Highlander, RAV, and Honda CRV appeared to be 95% owned by 60+ year old women.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just bought a Rav4 2022 it should be in this weekend I hope

I really like the wife's '19 RAV4.

https://nextcloud.fstech.ltd/s/W9qyNbNj9WaonBB/preview

QFT

I rember when the RAV4  came out.
I had a 4Runner at the time.
Every automaker had a frame on SUV at the time.
AWD cars seemed to be just not catching on in most regions.  You had had the eagle, there were Subarus, there were temporarily some other AWD cars, there were some sport oriented AWDs, but in general it seemed people wanted the higher ride height and visibility of an SUV, the increased storage, etc.
When CUVs like the RAV4 we’re new, they were essentially mimicking the looks of SUVs.
Trying to find the sweet spot of the benefits of a SUV and the benefits of cheaper, lighter, better mpgs of a car while looking like the massively popular SUVs.

Now we are in an era of massive CUV popularity.
With SUV styles mimicking CUVs and destroying many of the benefits of having a SUV.

Combined with aerodynamics for mpg mandates, you end up with a bunch of the same looking vehicles.

If you look at the dotted lines, which just quicky outline classic SUV shapes, you see what a massive amount of interior storage is lost.  Wranglers did not go this route and have massive sales numbers.  The new Bronco and Bronco Sport are a true SUV and unibody SUV/CUV return to classic body shape.

Anyways, I got sidetracked.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I can't believe no one suggested Audi yet.
View Quote

It’s a great vehicle, but

With a price of 50K and greater than 50% 5 year depreciation - hard to make a best bang for the buck case against some.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What's the point of a awd sedan in GA?  I get by just fine in the snow belt in a fwd commuter. The cost, complexity, and fuel costs aren't worth the slight benefit.
View Quote

A lot of places not known for prolonged snowy winters are horrendously prepared for bad road conditions.

You get water, ice, and snow sporadic conditions and some people have to absolutely be at work no matter the conditions.

Then some basic trails, driveways that have low spots, little streams, get muddy- that don’t need a serious 4WD to get to but places easy to get stuck with RWD or FWD.

Plus a few drives to Quebec, NH, etc.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'd be checking out the Crosstrek.
View Quote

I really like mine for it is.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Bronco sport badlands
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top