Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Well, it failed long before you got to an obscure pizza like this. It has St Louis but not New Haven???
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

@macman37 do you have the details of this recipe? It's been a paywall.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Solid post!

If you don’t have access to a Buddy’s for Detroit style pie, Jet’s is a decent chain alternative. Their cheese blend is slightly different and the sauce is more distributed than Buddy’s, but it’ll do.

Here’s a recipe for a good homemade alternative. They sent the guy to Buddy’s to learn how. We made it at home, it’s an excellent reproduction.

Whoops! I nabbed the link but didn’t notice it was paywalled - sorry about that!

Here’s the video from the show which I believe you can use to make the pie.

How to Make Crispy, Chewy Detroit-Style Pizza
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Actual Chicago style is #1. Deep dish is OK every now and then, but I don't get it anymore.

For me, the crust is important sure, but good pizza is distinguished by the sauce. You can have awesome toppings, but if the sauce sucks, the pizza will only be mediocre at best.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Detroit
View Quote
fpni
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#5]
You all making me have pizza tonight.

How to make me eat pizza....

Mention pizza
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Brooklyn in Brooklyn is indescribably good.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Imo's, naturally.

(It's okay while it's hot.)

Don't ask if you don't want to know the pizza made with a 50-50 mix of mozzarella and provelone cheese in St. Louis.

View Quote

It's been about 20 years since I had that but I really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Poll fail.  No Brier Hill style pie.  Youngstown pie is best pie.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/474231/CA0BCBB9-6D22-406B-91D8-98011B74D483-2741500.jpg

View Quote
I thought that was this....

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#9]
If done right I prefer Chicago casserole pizza.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Pizza is for pedos.

No, I kid. My absolute favorite pizza is smoked Gouda and breakfast bacon at The Pie in Salt Lake City. But, failing that, I quite like a Cowboy from Papa Murphys.

Back in my college days, I liked a Pepperoni and black olive from a place called Five Buck Pizza because it was good and cheap. How long has it been since you got a delivery pizza for five bucks with tax and tip?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#11]
l'll eat any style as long as it has a shit metric ton of Italian sausage on it.  Throw in some black olives and mushrooms and I'll be your bitch for the day.

kwg
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Shakey’s!
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46582/Screenshot_20210222-192210_Maps-1837222.jpg

I don't know what kind this is... Is it thin crust bar pizza? It's the kind I like.
View Quote

That looks like a chicago bar pizza.  I think someone sprinkled fresh cut toppings on top.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shakey’s!
View Quote

In Japan last year we stumbled across a Shakeys that was at least in appearance modeled after the old ones, lots of wood paneling etc, but no player piano.

The pizza was, of course, quite peculiar.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Rosatis sucks, Aurelio's Pizza FTW!
View Quote

Rosatis is the shittiest of the chicago area chains.  

The person I quoted said Rosatis was good where he lived.   Chicagoland's shittiest chain franchise is considered good pizza elsewhere.  That is how bad pizza is outside of NY and Chicago.  

Most NY style pizza is lunch pizza.  Slice and a coke 5 minute meal.  Really good for what it is.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:47:05 AM EDT
[#16]

That actually looks really good. I personally would not choose the same toppings but that looks solid. Scratch the last part, I don't see any green peppers.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The person I quoted said Rosatis was good where he lived.   Chicagoland's shittiest chain franchise is considered good pizza elsewhere.  That is how bad pizza is outside of NY and Chicago.  

Most NY style pizza is lunch pizza.  Slice and a coke 5 minute meal.  Really good for what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rosatis sucks, Aurelio's Pizza FTW!

I sometimes wonder how Rosati's locations stay in business. They seem to focus in new (like, growth since the 1960s) suburban residential areas 15+ minute drives from established local pizza places.

I suppose the franchise expansion could help introduce the reality that Chicago pizza isn't all "deep dish," but  people still don't get it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:52:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Detroit = cheesy bread
Chicago= yuck, some kind of cheese casserole
New York = meh, ate at three different places in NYC, whatever

In Kansas City there is a place called Rosatis that is awesome.

Frankly, I enjoyed Casey's pizza far more than any NY style or Chicago I have eaten.  Detroit holds no appeal whatsoever.
View Quote

If you think thin crust Rosatis is good, I really don't know what to tell you. Their thick / Chicago style is good but their thin is shit. I mostly get thin crust, but sometimes go with Lou Malnati's.

The only truly bad pizza I have had was "Oval" in Columbus back in the 80's.  I think they are out of business now. Worse that what they served in the school cafeteria.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:55:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What the fuck is this talk of crispy crust?
View Quote

If you are talking about good thin crust...

In the Dayton area were I lived for a few years, https://www.cassanos.com/ was pretty good. Lots of salt, but good.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 1:55:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dear OP,
St. Louis has Provel.  You have no say in anything pizza related.  That slimy skunk jizz should not even be a food item.  Your credibility is zero.
Sincerely,
All the rest of the people on the planet.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 2:29:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Brooklyn. Plain cheese.  Two slice. No drink. Folded over eaten on the go.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 3:13:18 AM EDT
[#22]
No one around here does a good Brooklyn style pizza so I learned how to do it myself.

It's a bit tricky since the ideal oven temp is 650*F and most residential ovens only go to 550*F but it can still be done. Luckily this guy figured it out.

The real secret to NY-Style pizza (It's not NYC water)

I've made pizzas using his crust recipe a half dozen times or so now and it's really good. Still playing with sauce recipes and cheese types but so far getting consistently good results. Now I just need a bigger peel and oven steel so I can make 16" pizzas.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 5:08:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4827/giordanos-1-acaebfca5056a36_acaec185-505-2739576.JPG

Its not even close boys....
View Quote
That ain't pizza.  It's a tomato casserole.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Whoops! I nabbed the link but didn’t notice it was paywalled - sorry about that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijHutbC2JnE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Solid post!

If you don’t have access to a Buddy’s for Detroit style pie, Jet’s is a decent chain alternative. Their cheese blend is slightly different and the sauce is more distributed than Buddy’s, but it’ll do.

Here’s a recipe for a good homemade alternative. They sent the guy to Buddy’s to learn how. We made it at home, it’s an excellent reproduction.

All that work to make a cheese pizza! Crust, cheese and just a bit of sauce. I have a granddaughter that likes them like that but I don't. Need Italian sausage, olives, peppers, etc.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I’m craving a fuckin Margherita pizza right now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

All that work to make a cheese pizza! Crust, cheese and just a bit of sauce. I have a granddaughter that likes them like that but I don't. Need Italian sausage, olives, peppers, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Solid post!

*shrug* If you want it, it’s worth it. Since you don’t… well, it’s not.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
pizza is as much about execution as it is about type.
View Quote

This. I give zero fucks what style it is. If it's good, it's good, and if it sucks, it sucks.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top