Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Price of entry, learning curve, space, time, etc.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 11:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
No excuse here

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure why I would need one. Let alone use it.  Now wood working another story. I blow crazy money on tools.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I think manual machines would suit me better. Since I have no intention of doing production work.
But besides that, I simply don't have the room. I plan on changing that in a few years, after I retire.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only $9k for a cheap knockoff? I think you answered your own question.
View Quote

This!  Quite a buy-in.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:54:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Help me out here.  Where can I find one?

I need a CNC lathe, but don't think I can swing anything but an older used machine, and I don't want to get stuck with a clapped out piece of shit that'll spend more time down than making chips.  Also, I need to be able to run it on normal house power, I don't have 3 phase here.

I've got an old Bridgeport with a homebrew CNC conversion, but it's janky, uncooperative, and I've spent more time building/fixing it than making parts.  Currently rebuilding/rewiring.  In hindsight, buying a working CNC machine would have made more sense.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:04:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
CNC is my job. I can do government work when I need to.

Other than that, I have a 3D printer.

Kinda interested in a laser engraver/cutter, but not sure I can justify it.
View Quote

LOL! In a former life, I did 5 years as a self-taught half-fast machinist in a repair shop. There were a few of us; sheet metal, welder, machinist, that were the "go-to guys" when someone needed a part for their snowmobile, tree stand, etc. Standard "payment" was a quarter for cup of vending machine coffee.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How is it any different? I could take tenth steps all day long, and my rotary is far more accurate.  A cnc is actually better at fussy things because you can quantify the motions precisely.

At least on a quality machine.

Manual machines are great at oddball setups that are faster on the open platform of a bport. And on more or less rough machining one off operations that don't require precision.

You have to get into highly specialized old machine tools like a SIP to rival a quality modern cnc mill for location across the envelop.   Some of the dual column cncs are better.

Manual machines are still very relevant, but it all depends on the job.

There are few tools as versatile as a Bridgeport.
View Quote

I used to use a SIP to make punch and button retainers decades ago.

Looked like this one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not sure why I would need one. Let alone use it.  Now wood working another story. I blow crazy money on tools.
View Quote

CNC routers are a thing, and can crank out some pretty nice stuff that are pretty difficult to produce by other methods... and some stuff that's not too hard by hand, but either tedious or would benefit from the accuracy and repeatability CNC brings to the party.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At my LGS yesterday I was permitted to handle a .45 monocore suppressor and take it apart. The tube threaded off of the core. Is there a measuring device and program where I could place the separate components into, that would feel the parts and write the cad program based directly off of the feel?

Because that would be fuckin' sweet.
View Quote
Nothing achievable by a layperson.  There are simply too many variables, that you'd have no control over.

Even with a perfect 3D model CAM software isn't always capable of spitting out machine code that doesn't require some human intervention because of this.  The exception being where the CAM software was set up specifically to meet the variables controlled by the operation.  That takes a lot of investment.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't need a CNC.  What I need is a friend with a CNC who wouldn't mind doing me a favor every few years or so.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Space and power requirements.  

Plus all of my machining needs are done here at work.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#14]
the same excuse as not owning a front loader and a dump truck...I don't really need them, I just want them. For the imes it would really be used it is easier and frankly smarter to rent or hire out for the use. The same would be for a CNC unless you have access to free or cheap raw materials to create with it. Let us know when it breaks down or needs a software upgrade unless you bought a Mechanical one like an old Bridgeport.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Was Brian H your salesman for that lathe?

Very nice setup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Was Brian H your salesman for that lathe?

Very nice setup.

@jm0502

Thanks.

Not sure if it was Brian. Our Eurotech dealer is Alta Enterprises out of PA.

The B438 sat for almost 6 months in FL while we waited on the power company for a service upgrade. Went from a 50kva transformer on the pole to our own 350kva box on the ground and a new MDP.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Thinking about a 3-d printer so I'm a playah
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I can just make the drawing and upload it to any number of machine shops with a web portal. Why would I want to own a machine I'd rarely use when I can just contract that out??
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Because I’d have to choose between a CNC machine or a Premay sample mg34…?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

what kind of stuff do you do for tolerances like that?
View Quote

Certain aerospace parts. Can't really get any more specific  without doxing myself.

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to take 3 semesters of Machine Operations in college, I hated it. To me a quarter inch is close enough, not this .001 inch shit.
Wait until you are told to hold a .0001 tolerance.

Laughs in +/- .00005

Bongs...
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As soon as I get a subpanel in my garage. I have at least enough space for a 20x40 CNC. Power is the holdup.

Any tips on getting into a used VMC? Brands to avoid? I'd prefer a Haas but they command quite the premium.
View Quote

Brands to avoid include Haas.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Brands to avoid include Haas.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Same reason I don't own a dump truck?  
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Because it'd be like a pig staring at the space shuttle.

Clint Eastwood told me a man had to know his limitations.

Much respect to those that can work metal.  Call me if you need something made out of wood.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you’re doing a lot of custom work, manual machines are the way to go. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have a CNC mill at home, but manual is just more versatile for oddball stuff.
View Quote

I run my CNCs like manual machines all the time for quick modifications and such.  They have handweels, ya know...

Seriously, though, putting a VMC in my garage opened me up to a whole new career path and now I'm a business owner.  SO DON'T DO IT OR YOU WILL QUICKLY BE ONE OF THE POORS AND HAVE NO MORE MONEY FOR GUNS AND RACECARS!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#29]
need, specialization, space, time, and to a lesser extent cost. ive also never bought the stuff or learned the skills to replace a neurosurgeon, for the exact same reasons. if i need one someone else will be better equipped and trained than me. my time is better spent earning the money to deal with what does happen, compared to trying to cover every single situation i can possibly think up by myself.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#30]
The best excuse I can come up with for not owning a CNC is called retirement, I'm looking forward to the day. Been running and programming CNC's/NC's for north of 40 years, owned a shop full of them for over 25 of those, I'm ready to do something different. I'll probably have something in my home shop at some point though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nice work.

What's the material?

Vf-?
View Quote

VF2,3,4,9
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#32]
9 a 50?

I've heard good things about the bigger machines with the 50.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
9 a 50?

I've heard good things about the bigger machines with the 50.
View Quote

Yes, Its been pretty good. Just put a new spindle in it, It is of no fault of Haas. I have never fucked up a program as bad as I did to cause this.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes, Its been pretty good. Just put a new spindle in it, It is of no fault of Haas. I have never fucked up a program as bad as I did to cause this.
View Quote

That sucks.  I've worked a few to death. But I haven't brinelled one (yet, furiously knocking wood)  I have a few ceramic bearing spindles, the pucker factor is higher on those.

The nice thing about Haas is they aren't crazy expensive to change.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Overrated. Especially when one of your guys wrecks it. Literally just came in from realigning the headstock and turret on my old Puma 300LC.

4th time I think
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That sucks.  I've worked a few to death. But I haven't brinelled one (yet, furiously knocking wood)  I have a few ceramic bearing spindles, the pucker factor is higher on those.

The nice thing about Haas is they aren't crazy expensive to change.
View Quote

$15,000 for this spindle.  not as bad as some.
Started life as this
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I don’t have space. We are putting our place on the market so I will eventually have space and get something on the order of a small Mazak Quick-Turn lathe and a small vertical mill. A 5 -axis Mitsui-Seiki jig bore would be sweet as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I suck at using a drill press.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#39]

What the blue f@ck caused it to build up metal on it like that?
Cat 50?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Anything can be a friction stir welder once, eh?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ewww I do that shit all week at work.

No but seriously  if I had somewhere to set one up I would
View Quote

This. I would pick up a mill if I had the space. I’m looking at rectifying that though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#42]
HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF FUCK!

Yeah man, you got all of that one.  Gear box spindle I assume?  You used all the torques. Didn't even bang up the drive keys. I'm impressed.

You walk away from it or something? Looks like it chewed for a minute.

I'm really sorry, anyone that runs them long enough will fuck up and yard sale one eventually.  It's a sick feeling when it happens.

I fat fingered a decimal changing a work offset on a 30 horse box way lathe, smoked the turret into a running 10 inch 3 jaw at rapid.  17k lbs of it literally jumped.   Didn't kill the spindle but knocked the turret out to hell and back.   I learned how to re-align a lathe that week.

15k sucks but okuma spindles start at 30...so it could have been worse.  Knock it out of tram?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#43]
my excuse

I don't need one
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF FUCK!

Yeah man, you got all of that one.  Gear box spindle I assume?  You used all the torques. Didn't even bang up the drive keys. I'm impressed.

You walk away from it or something? Looks like it chewed for a minute.

I'm really sorry, anyone that runs them long enough will fuck up and yard sale one eventually.

I fat fingered a decimal changing a work offset on a 30 horse box way lathe, smoked the turret into a running 10 inch 3 jaw at rapid.  17k lbs of it literally jumped.   Didn't kill the spindle but knocked the turret out to hell and back.   I learned how to re-align a lathe that week.

15k sucks but okuma spindles start at 30...so it could have been worse.  Knock it out of tram?
View Quote

Yeah gearbox spindle, couldnt tell by the load meter what it got up to since it can peg 150% on startup

I was cutting a 15 inch diameter, 10.5 inch thick bolster made from H13, I was finishing the inside profile, 5.35 deep with a 1 inch dijet RME. Ramping .015 just for the hell of it since I was going home for dinner and figured I'd get some easy run time done. Some how I programmed it to go 10.35 deep.

It never overloaded the spindle, finally stopped with a z axis overload. And what I couldn't believe is where it finally stopped, it was not welded to the bolster. The spindle lifted right off it.

It only took .010 to clean the face of the bolster up and opened the profile by .020 couldn't even tell anything happened.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What the blue f@ck caused it to build up metal on it like that?
Cat 50?
View Quote

Cat 50, 2800 rpms, and a whole lot of friction.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Why when I can drive 10 minutes down the road to a shop that has 20 or so  CNC machines,  8 or 10 plasma tables , some laser tables ( I think that's what they are called )  and all kinds of other cool shit I have no idea how any of it works .
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah gearbox spindle, couldnt tell by the load meter what it got up to since it can peg 150% on startup

I was cutting a 15 inch diameter, 10.5 inch thick bolster made from H13, I was finishing the inside profile, 5.35 deep with a 1 inch dijet RME. Ramping .015 just for the hell of it since I was going home for dinner and figured I'd get some easy run time done. Some how I programmed it to go 10.35 deep.

It never overloaded the spindle, finally stopped with a z axis overload. And what I couldn't believe is where it finally stopped, it was not welded to the bolster. The spindle lifted right off it.

It only took .010 to clean the face of the bolster up and opened the profile by .020 couldn't even tell anything happened.
View Quote
Makes sense.  H13.  Good stuff that doesn't mind being hot.  

Yeah it's always some tiny detail, decimal point, one digit, wrong work shift or tool length call out.   Add in 1500 ipm rapids and boom.

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nobody needs a $900 cnc when we can get a dremmel and a harbor freight gasless mig for $300 OTD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9k is like 900 four years ago.

Nobody needs a $900 cnc when we can get a dremmel and a harbor freight gasless mig for $300 OTD

Knowledge of how to to it both ways is priceless.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top