Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Saving Private Ryan the beach scene.
View Quote
Was going to say this. I've cranked it up on mine to close to near realistic levels. A few things fell off of shelves
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Master and Commander
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:15:00 AM EDT
[#6]
One of the Batman movies....I think it was a Christian Bale one.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 1:36:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Oblivion

Starship troopers

Aliens

Predator

T3

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 2:38:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Besides the sub workout, there's a lot of other nuanced sound in that scene that tests the entire system, such as the shower of glass. A superb system will make it sound like it's raining down all around with pin sharp sound.

That's also why I suggested the train crash scene from Super 8. It's a full range work out for your system, and the nuance of when the train slams on its brakes, only the best of calibration will pull out that sound correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have a setup that can do THX Reference at your listening positioning and subs that can go down to single digit Hz at high SPLs, Tom Cruise War Of The Worlds.

The scene where the alien pod first emerges from the ground shakes my house

Besides the sub workout, there's a lot of other nuanced sound in that scene that tests the entire system, such as the shower of glass. A superb system will make it sound like it's raining down all around with pin sharp sound.

That's also why I suggested the train crash scene from Super 8. It's a full range work out for your system, and the nuance of when the train slams on its brakes, only the best of calibration will pull out that sound correctly.

Yep.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 2:44:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Heat. Specifically, the big shootout in the city.
View Quote

No question.
You can hear the gunshots echoing off the buildings

"Rather than dubbing in the gunshots during the bank robbery shoot-out, Michael Mann had microphones carefully placed around the set so that the audio could be captured live. This added to the impact of the scene, because it sounded like no other gunfight shown on-screen."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113277/trivia?item=tr2697448
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:02:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One of the Batman movies....I think it was a Christian Bale one.
View Quote

Ugh. I personally can't stand Christopher Nolan movies, when it comes to the audio. That moron overuses clipping in the sound effects like JJ Abrams overused lens flare in Super 8, and the Star Trek remake with Christopher Pike.

It sounds like absolute crap at THX Reference levels on a capable setup. That clipping you hear isn't your audio chain hitting its limits. It's audio clipping recorded in the soundtrack.

There are TONS of movies with dynamic clean sound effects that are louder, but I'm positive Nolan must be half deaf because he seems to LIKE pushing the audio mixer/sound designer to push the gains to the point of producing audio clipping in the recording chain. Interstellar has tons of audible clipping too.

I can understand some sound designers/directors pushing clipping as an occasional audio effect for certain things, eg. In Tron: Legacy, when they used audio clipping as an effect for the sound of the thrusters on the flying craft when Sam first enters the grid, and some clipping with the jet battle at the end, but the rest of the soundtrack is loud and dynamic, but clean, unlike the soundtracks in Nolan movies where anytime things get loud, you can hear the harsh sound of clipping.

Nolan must think clipping sounds 'gritty' or something equally stupid (because he's deaf), much like some directors who got so carried away with shaky cam, that a closeup of 2 people in quiet conversation in a boardroom, and it looked like they had Michael J Fox as the cameraman, with shit shaking all over the place.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#11]
The moon exploding at the beginning of Star Trek Undiscovered Country is impressive, used it to tune my system back in the day.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:15:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Master and Commander.

Kharn
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:19:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Strange Days
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:20:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Heat. Specifically, the big shootout in the city.
View Quote
Absolutely!
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Private Ryan
Top Gun - (both)
Tron Legacy
The current 4K edition of Star Wars (77), they remastered the sound .... again, and it is pretty good.

movies that sound great, but due to the 'tards at Disney, you have to bring the volume up extra high to get to "normal" levels.
The Black Hole
Rogue One
While the actual stories mostly suck, the sound and visual is awesome on Disney Wars. But, again, low levels, you have to crank them up to enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Master and Commander.

Kharn
View Quote

There it is. The cannon battle can trigger pant shitting w the right system.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yup, that scene sold my last house for me. As soon as they heard the arrows falling all around they were hooked.
View Quote

The arrows are a huge part of it, especially if you have at least a 5.1 system. But the more the better as that in particular is one of the best known examples of spatial sound. But that scene in particular also has everything else - orchestral music, dialogue, slow motion, combat, rear/front transitions, you name it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#18]
For me, interstellar, Oblivion, Aliens or mad max, fury road
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#19]
This turned all the way up:

If your system does not blow by the end, it may be an alright system.
This is what I use to test any new sound system.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Imax movie "Hubble" about the space shuttle mission to repair the Hubble telescope.  The launch scene is fantastic. I've killed one sub with that scene.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Saving Private Ryan the beach scene.
View Quote
Ive used this a lot as a master.

The Fifth Element (all of it), battle scene from Fury, I have a couple others too that escape.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Did OP get home with the BluRay yet?

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Baby Shark
View Quote

Do do doodoo do do doo doodoo
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Did OP get home with the BluRay yet?

Kharn
View Quote

Man, I’m not brave enough to set foot into a store between Thanksgiving and New Year’s.  

I will get a copy very soon, though.  Way too many endorsements for this one to not do that.  

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Opening scenes:

Heat

Saving Private Ryan

Dark Knight
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Master and Commander

Cannon fire ripping the decks
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#27]
@Kharn

O.K.

I watched some of the scenes on youtube and I may have to venture out into the real world so I can watch this tonight.  

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Master and Commander

Cannon fire ripping the decks
View Quote

Yep, that’s the scene I just watched.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Nobody said Star Wars are yet?
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#30]
The sound design in Backdraft blew me away. The audio made the fire a character in the film.

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Inception

Blade Runner 2049

Interstellar

Fury

The Matrix trilogy

Forrest Gump

Apollo 13

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I thought Act of Valor had amazing sound.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok "From CHESS"

This one will knock pictures off the wall.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Surprisingly,

Con-Air
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Dukes of Hazzard
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#36]
No Thin Red Line in the first few posts?  Disappoint.

J.J. Abrams Star Trek

Act of Valor

The convoy scene from dia de soldado or the opening scene with border patrol?

Master and Commander/Saving Private Ryan obviously.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Gladiator, Private Ryan, Tron, Avatar, and several more I can't remember now were favorites in the audio video business for demo purposes.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Days of Thunder isy personal favorite for this task, Apocalypse Now also works well.

If you are working on tuning bass, Tron Legacy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Shoot out downtown from the movie HEAT

Blackhawk Down

Last of the Mohicans

Days of Thunder
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Days of thunder. Pretty much going to give you a great test.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Blackhawk Down.
View Quote

This right here was my initial thought. There's some great audio in that movie.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@Kharn

O.K.

I watched some of the scenes on youtube and I may have to venture out into the real world so I can watch this tonight.  

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Alright, I’m about to watch it!

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#44]
over at avsforum, the tank tap scene from finding Nemo was the gold standard for testing your sub.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
over at avsforum, the tank tap scene from finding Nemo was the gold standard for testing your sub.
View Quote

There have been numerous 'standards' on avsforums for testing subs (the cannons in Master and Commander are definitely on the list). There's also a difference between ported vs sealed setups.

Some ported subs can put out a lot of SPLs above 25-30Hz, but they all roll off hard below certain frequncies, depending on port tuning and cabinet volume.

One of the hardest scenes for any infrasonic system to reproduce, is the airplane crash in War Of The Worlds. For whatever reason, Randy Thom included high SPL effects in the 1-3Hz range (something which very few setups on the planet can reproduce at Reference levels. Even the studio he mixed it at couldn't do it).

My setup doesn't even have a prayer of doing anything that low (mine does 9Hz at decent SPLs with extension to 7Hz, but that's about it. Maybe one of these days, if I ever build a completely sound/vibration isolated HT with a Thigpen Rotary).
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I thought Act of Valor had amazing sound.
View Quote

Agreed. The boat extraction scene sounds great.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Andddd?

Can you hear anything beyond EEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee?

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:26:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Andddd?

Kharn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Andddd?

Kharn

As the movie started below deck, I could hear the creaking of the ship all around.  Above deck, I could hear waves of the sea, creaking sounds, wind, voices along with general movement all around, too.  This is exactly what I was looking for - to be immersed into the scene as if I were there.  Is there really a better setting to bring all of this to the viewer?  Everest was good but howling wind is howling wind.  The Revenant is good for the outdoor scenes with battles, rain, and of course the scene with the bear but not as consistent and detailed as M&C is.  

My only critique is the battle scenes with some of the explosions overemphasized in the rear channels, at least more than I thought it should be.  Even the closing credit music is layered surround sound, which I really enjoyed, too.

Thanks, Kharn!  Your recommendation, as well as your accompanying chorus of supporters, were spot on.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Some movies I’m sad to not see listed (or maybe posted but I just missed them) -

13 Hours
Any Mission Impossible movie
The Revenant ( this one fooled my cat with a bird chirp in the left rear channel, lol)
One of the Sicario movies
Other Michael Mann movies other than Heat & LOTM
Denzel Washington needs at least one of his movies listed, dammit.
No horror movies, lol

I’m not really a super heroes movie fan (other than The Watchmen & Winter Soldier) I didn’t really miss any of those.  I do understand why the Dark Knight ones were mentioned, though.

Anyone have Led Zeppelin Celebration Day?  How does it sound?

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#50]
This always has done it since the 90's... If it rings your head and shakes your bones. Your surround and sub are perfect.....

Or a little GnR Paradise City. Has highs and the bass.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top