Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You guys screaming about the cultural and regional appropriateness of door knocking etiquette, realize this is a moot point, right? The outer door was locked.

According to his statement, he opened the inner door and observed someone pulling on the outer door (how forcefully we can only guess). This happened likely way past any hour he would expect someone to come calling. Whether or not the kid was planning to knock is beside the point.

I'm not saying he did everything right. But appearance doctrine should cover him in this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That’s rich coming from the party that continues to fan the flames to keep racial division a hot topic. Starting with Barry O. the media and Democratic party has done nothing but create messes just like this by one sided reporting and pushing their agenda. Shit wasn’t like this for a long time, they have enabled and encouraged it and are the real guilty bastards.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Good for the kid. He deserves it.

I don’t feel much sympathy for the home owner. Not only has he made gun owners and America look bad, but his actions are what fuel support for gun control.
View Quote

I don’t think so. Even if this old guy was 100% in the right, the reaction from these idiots would be identical to what it is right now. We’ve seen it plenty of times. They don’t give a shit about facts, all they care about is the emotional argument. Even “middle of the road” people will go right along with it because they don’t want to be seen as racist for asking questions.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Opening a storm door to knock on the main door of the house after no response to a pressed doorbell is an everyday, normal, and legal occurrence.
View Quote
Not in my experience. I certainly wouldn't do it, and if someone opened my door, my alarm bells are going off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
According to his statement, he opened the inner door and observed someone pulling on the outer door (how forcefully we can only guess). This happened likely way past any hour he would expect someone to come calling. Whether or not the kid was planning to knock is beside the point.

I'm not saying he did everything right. But appearance doctrine should cover him in this.
View Quote
If the kid thought he was someplace he was supposed to be, I can see him doing that.
And, I can see the homeowner thinking he was trying to force entry.
Sad and all... but a crime?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Screen doors are usually so flimsy that if you knock on them people inside won’t hear it. Some storm doors may be more substantial.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the jury believes that the shooter was afraid for his life - which will hinge on believing the shooter's statement that the stranger was tugging on the outer door handle - there is a chance he'll be found innocent. If that happens, multiple cities are going to see some nasty rioting.

Trying to open the glass door(not forcefully, mind you) doesn't make it an attempted burglary. He rang the door bell, then, like any normal person, probably tried the glass door to knock on the main door.

This is a sad situation all around.

I wouldn't say that's normal here in KS.   Ring the doorbell if there is one.   Unless the house belongs to a friend or family member I wouldn't open the screen door to knock on the door.   I'd knock on it before I start screwing w/ a stranger's door in the middle of the night.

Screen doors are usually so flimsy that if you knock on them people inside won’t hear it. Some storm doors may be more substantial.

Yup. Not uncommon in my AO, to open the screen door to knock on the closed front door (and before I added the bolded NO SOLICITING sign, for annoyances to be holding the screen door open with their bodies, knocking on my front door, trying to push whatever crap they're pushing).

Also not uncommon (depending on the house, and front door) to not be able to hear if the doorbell is actually ringing/working.

If possible, having both a Ring type video doorbell, AND a 2nd security camera covering the door, is a really good measure.

The Ring doorbell allows you to converse with someone, without needing to open the door.

Makes it convenient to tell someone, "You're at the wrong house. No such person(s) here. Now, please leave the premises". Also eliminates idiots shooting you because they can't read/doublecheck a goddamned address, and you answered the door, armed.

The secondary camera (which should be placed out of easy reach) allows you to view the door, in the event some asshat covers/blocks the Ring camera. I keep mine visible, behind a security film protected window, with a hedge making it inconvenient to get to. If both cameras are covered; in Minecraft, maybe covering the door with M20 APIT, might be in order.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Two quotes just on the KC local news (TV)

1:  From KC Mayor Quinton Lucas:

“This boy was shot because he was existing while Black,” Lucas said.
View Quote

2: From Gwen Grant, head of the KC Urban League

I don't see any evidence that this man has shot anyone other than a black person for ringing his doorbell, so clearly, that is a hate motivated crime.
View Quote

It seems like they're really trying to amp up the masses in the hopes of some Floyd-style riots

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You guys screaming about the cultural and regional appropriateness of door knocking etiquette, realize this is a moot point, right? The outer door was locked.

View Quote

appearance doctrine would only cover the homeowner if the homeowners actions are believed to be "reasonable".

What GD deems reasonable isnt exactly what 99% of the rest of the country finds reasonable. (fabricated statistic, sample size of one)
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

appearance doctrine would only cover the homeowner if the homeowners actions are believed to be "reasonable".

What GD deems reasonable isnt exactly what 99% of the rest of the country finds reasonable. (fabricated statistic, sample size of one)
View Quote

I never said he wasn't going to be crucified for this, I said Missouri law SHOULD cover him in this.

The appearance doctrine, especially when combined with the attempted unlawful entry stipulation, stated in the law.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
85 year old white man in Northern KC (I believe in Liberty, MO) shot a black teen to came to his door.  The kids mother said she sent her son to pick up his twin brother and went to the incorrect address. The old man had sign posted 'No Solicitors' and he allegedly shot the kid for knocking or ringing the door bell.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The good gal with a gun that stopped a pervert in my daughter's shop in north KC last week won't be reported.

The arresting officer told her it was okay to shoot the pervert.  That was probably bad advice as it was still excess force.

View Quote

Sounds like a good shoot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yup. Not uncommon in my AO, to open the screen door to knock on the closed front door (and before I added the bolded NO SOLICITING sign, for annoyances to be holding the screen door open with their bodies, knocking on my front door, trying to push whatever crap they're pushing).

Also not uncommon (depending on the house, and front door) to not be able to hear if the doorbell is actually ringing/working.

If possible, having both a Ring type video doorbell, AND a 2nd security camera covering the door, is a really good measure.

The Ring doorbell allows you to converse with someone, without needing to open the door.

Makes it convenient to tell someone, "You're at the wrong house. No such person(s) here. Now, please leave the premises". Also eliminates idiots shooting you because they can't read/doublecheck a goddamned address, and you answered the door, armed.

The secondary camera (which should be placed out of easy reach) allows you to view the door, in the event some asshat covers/blocks the Ring camera. I keep mine visible, behind a security film protected window, with a hedge making it inconvenient to get to. If both cameras are covered; in Minecraft, maybe covering the door with M20 APIT, might be in order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the jury believes that the shooter was afraid for his life - which will hinge on believing the shooter's statement that the stranger was tugging on the outer door handle - there is a chance he'll be found innocent. If that happens, multiple cities are going to see some nasty rioting.

Trying to open the glass door(not forcefully, mind you) doesn't make it an attempted burglary. He rang the door bell, then, like any normal person, probably tried the glass door to knock on the main door.

This is a sad situation all around.

I wouldn't say that's normal here in KS.   Ring the doorbell if there is one.   Unless the house belongs to a friend or family member I wouldn't open the screen door to knock on the door.   I'd knock on it before I start screwing w/ a stranger's door in the middle of the night.

Helps to have them working.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This happened a few blocks from my house. By all accounts, the kid is a good kid. He goes to the same high school as my oldest son. It’s a very good school, probably one of the more affluent in the area. There was a big “rally” down the street. Hundreds of people showed up. The social media posts stated they were protesting because they were tired of all these “white men shooting black kids”.
View Quote

Katanji Brown-Jackson's niece lives in the area.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Common here in NC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I grew up in a house with a screen door, in a neighborhood of houses with screen doors. Opening it to knock wasn't common at all.
I never did it, and to the best of my recollection, no one knocking at our door ever did it. Perhaps it's a regional thing?

Common here in NC
Common in the part of NC I grew up in as well. Knocking on someone's glass was seen as disrespectful.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Two quotes just on the KC local news (TV)

1:  From KC Mayor Quinton Lucas:

2: From Gwen Grant, head of the KC Urban League

It seems like they're really trying to amp up the masses in the hopes of some Floyd-style riots

View Quote

Lucas and the entire black apparatus in KCMO is corrupt and absolute filth.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
85 year old white man in Northern KC (I believe in Liberty, MO) shot a black teen to came to his door.  The kids mother said she sent her son to pick up his twin brother and went to the incorrect address. The old man had sign posted 'No Solicitors' and he allegedly shot the kid for knocking or ringing the door bell.
View Quote

Was not in Liberty.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Why even answer the door at night in the first place?
If you ring my door bell at night and I don't recognize
you on the camera I am not opening the door. If you
don't eventually leave, I'm calling the police. The only
time I am shooting anyone is if they attempt to enter
my house after breaking down the door or a window.

Quoted:

Lots of people here think it’s smart to answer the door after dark with a gun in hand. Holster are expensive or something. I’m amazed more delivery drivers are not murdered
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I have family that's close to friends of the kid's.  I'll say that based on the information I have on both the kid and the circumstances here I find it very difficult to believe the kid was out to force his way into random old people's homes.  He goes to a pretty upscale school, he's active in band (you know serious thug shit).  He's friends with some of the administration's kids and he's described to us as a high achieving student.  Can't claim to know that with certainty, but not sure the people involved would lie about it.  So I'm sorry, but I don't think this is going to pan out as a he was trying to force the door open screaming in hoodese to "gives me my brother".  

The man opened the inner door and fired at him through the screen door, then walked outside and tried to give him an anchor shot (ETA: this is disputed but he was shot twice, one grazed the forehead the other in the arm).  This sucks and I think unfortunately the reasons are going to be not so far off the narrative.  I think this guy is going to be convicted and bring the race hustlers running to capitalize.  That and a kid that seems like an overall good kid nearly took a head shot to boot by being blasted through the door.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lucas and the entire black apparatus in KCMO is corrupt and absolute filth.
View Quote

Yes they are.  And they have now been handed a golden goose.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes they are.  And they have now been handed a golden goose.
View Quote

Ah yes, the KC Blacktivist. Sharp dressers, every one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't have details. But is the boy a hero now?https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562719/IMG_5680_jpeg-2787765.JPG
View Quote
Ringing the doorbell is the lefts new "jogging". Obviously, there's more to the story. Still think they'll find the guy guilty though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ringing the doorbell is the lefts new "jogging". Obviously, there's more to the story. Still think they'll find the guy guilty though.
View Quote

what makes it obvious there is more to the story?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:20:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Is it riot season already?

You fuckers are WAY early. It just snowed the other day, and I don't even have my Juneteenth decorations up yet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:32:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Crazy reading the probable cause report. The shooter/homeowner used an antique S&W top-break revolver chambered in .32 S&W.

I have one myself. .32 S&W is an anemic powder puff of a round from the black powder era.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:05:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The allegations the kid was trying to open the screen door and startled the old man is what's more to the story. That doesn't make it right, but it's far from just ringing the doorbell. If this guy is 84, how many previous cases did this occur when someone just rang his doorbell? 100's by now?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:12:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The allegations the kid was trying to open the screen door and startled the old man is what's more to the story. That doesn't make it right, but it's far from just ringing the doorbell. If this guy is 84, how many previous cases did this occur when someone just rang his doorbell? 100's by now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is normal to open a screen door to knock on the front door.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:19:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s normal here. Especially if you know the people who live there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:23:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly. Which isn't just ringing the doorbell. I'm not saying the kid did anything wrong, just the narrative that is being placed to fuel the story. Conveniently leaving out the fact the homeowner apparently opens the inner door right when the kid was yanking on the outer door, causing an apparent misperception or misjudgment.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:34:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

It doesn't matter if it's normal or not, to open a screen door and knock.

How did it look to the old man? Did it look like the kid was pulling on the door to knock, or did it look like he was pulling on the door to break in?

You get stirred out of bed, tired, at a late hour for an old man, open the door to see someone pulling on the screen door. Can you tell what their intentions are? Remember if you choose the knocking scenario, and you're wrong, you're probably a dead man, because time isn't on your side.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:42:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How did it look to the old man? Did it look like the kid was pulling on the door to knock, or did it look like he was pulling on the door to break in?

You get stirred out of bed, tired, at a late hour for an old man, open the door to see someone pulling on the screen door. Can you tell what their intentions are? Remember if you choose the knocking scenario, and you're wrong, you're probably a dead man, because time isn't on your side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you would still likely to able to wait for them to try and break in the door before you shoot. Especially if you have a good door. I feel bad for both sides here, as it doesn't sound like the old man had ill intent he was scared and I understand why but it sounds like probably a bad shoot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:07:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well you would still likely to able to wait for them to try and break in the door before you shoot. Especially if you have a good door. I feel bad for both sides here, as it doesn't sound like the old man had ill intent he was scared and I understand why but it sounds like probably a bad shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see police shoot people or escalate force to levels that could result in grave harm fairly regularly because of “furtive movement” towards what could be a weapon.

I don’t know what happened. I’m not saying that a “furtive movement” was made.

I’m saying that if you think a person is trying to kill you it’s a bad idea to consider a pane of door glass a protective barrier between a victim and an attacker.

It’s not. Pretty much any handgun round will easily penetrate glass.

All the kid had to do was have a hand in his pocket digging for his phone to call his parents or brother while trying to get inside the house. Or what looked like trying to get in.

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:11:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some of us can choose the knocking scenario and not end up a dead man, cause some us arent stupid enough to answer the door for someone we dont know in the middle of the night. If its suspicious enough to arm yourself, its suspicious enough to keep the door closed and say "who is it?".

I dont get why the "dont open the door" option is such a foreign concept.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:15:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're thinking too hard on this. All I said was it is normal where I'm at for randos to open the screen door to knock on the main door.

If the kid thought he was at the right place and tried knocking on the door to announce he's there to pick up his brother. How is he bad or at fault?

As for the old man, if he fucked up thinking the kid was attempting to break in and he is able to clearly explain that he had a legitimate fear for his life since he's an 80+ year old dude and thoughthe was going to be the victimof a burglary. It sucks too because he now has to deal with the end result of his actions.

This literally could be a case of both sides were simply at the wrong place at the wrong time and neither party was bad. Life just made shit happen and sometimes, people get wrapped up in the shit.

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:15:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Some of us can choose the knocking scenario and not end up a dead man, cause some us arent stupid enough to answer the door for someone we dont know in the middle of the night. If its suspicious enough to arm yourself, its suspicious enough to keep the door closed and say "who is it?".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carrying a firearm in your home and answering the door are not unreasonable acts. No more unreasonable than opening a screen door to knock.

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:16:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peep holes and Ring cameras exist for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:17:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Carrying a firearm in your home and answering the door are not unreasonable acts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carrying a firearm in your home and answering the door are not unreasonable acts.

Correct, they're not.

This sounds like a case of two people simply got fucked over by the random shit lottery that is the universe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:20:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Correct, they're not.

This sounds like a case of two people simply got fucked over by the random shit lottery that is the universe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, they're not.

Yup. Shit lottery.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Peep holes and Ring cameras exist for a reason.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#41]
The statement from the old man, contradicts 90% of the narrative. There was no anchor shot, or don't come back here again.

No words exchanged

He immediately called 911 and expressed concerns for the victim.

https://twitter.com/MattFlenerKMBC/status/1648094746055778305?t=GR_VN5uwuJRyZsiYUzP2ag&s=19

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 6:12:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The statement from the old man, contradicts 90% of the narrative. There was no anchor shot, or don't come back here again.

No words exchanged

He immediately called 911 and expressed concerns for the victim.

https://twitter.com/MattFlenerKMBC/status/1648094746055778305?t=GR_VN5uwuJRyZsiYUzP2ag&s=19

View Quote

I was waiting for "more". If that's it...well. Bad shoot. A normal country populated with a healthy body politik should be able to file this under "shit happens", punish the wrong doer, aid the victim and move on. Instead we all need to tie it into the threads of our own narratives in order to push a culture war ever onward.

I'll caveat and say I can expect the right to accept the truth of the matter more readily than the left.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don’t have details. But is the boy a hero now?https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562719/IMG_5680_jpeg-2787765.JPG
View Quote

Pandering to the highest level
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Don’t have details. But is the boy a hero now?https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562719/IMG_5680_jpeg-2787765.JPG
View Quote

Pandering to the highest level
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#45]
A few years back, my wife and I were watching TV in our room and had the lights out in the front of the house. I was heading down the hallway toward the kitchen when I heard a knock on the front door. By the time I reached the living room I heard the storm door open and the front doorknob rattle.

I went over, flipped on the light and opened the front door. By that time the storm door had closed again. As I opened the door I saw a black "teen" (definitely NOT indigenous to my neighborhood) carrying one of those blue totes full of overpriced junk food scurrying away across the lawn. I opened the storm door and yelled after him "You looking for something?" He mumbled something back and kept walking away.

We reported it to the cops and called several of our neighbors to let them know. No comment on whether or not I may have had a handgun on me at the time.

I have no doubt that the sweet little child thought that nobody was home and was hoping to make a quick score. The kid in K.C. may have been innocent, but they all aren't.

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not to everyone it isn't. I don't think it is. People didn't do it where I grew up. I didn't do it. And, I wouldn't do it now.
Someone walks up to my house at 10 o'clock at night, and tries opening my door, that is cause for concern... and I'm not an 80 year-old man.
I'm not saying the kid did anything wrong, but if he was trying to open the door, I can see how it could be interpreted by the old man as "trying to get in".
Could have been a perfectly honest mistake, but the bottom line is, the old man belonged there, the kid didn't.

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Correct, they're not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, they're not.

Pretty much what it sounds like.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Correct, they're not.

View Quote

I have family that lives up there. Your 'random shit lottery' fits their description.  It's after dark, a random person is shaking a door or doors, old man believes its a break in and he pops off a couple rounds.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well you would still likely to able to wait for them to try and break in the door before you shoot. Especially if you have a good door.
View Quote

What's a good door?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Here's the elephant so to speak. The old man was 85. I know some 85 year olds that still have it. Most 85 year olds do not. unrighteous shoot. This guy will likely die first before a sentence is handed down.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top