[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Either trolling or retarded.

View Quote
Get both
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I drive the left lane until I need to pass someone moving slower than me.  Speed isn't the issue.  The issue is not holding up traffic.

Once I've passed them I get back in the right land and continue the trip.

I try to stay away from left lane campers.  Most of the time they seem oblivious to the rules of the road and many will absolutely refuse to get out of your way when you come up on the back of their vehicle.  Asleep at the wheel or discourteous?  I don't know.  I just don't want to find out.  Unaware people are dangerous.  Discourteous people are something I try to stay away from.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

passing lane means if you're not passing GTFO. people need to get beatings for being total idiots again, the world would be a much better place.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The passing lane means get the fuck out the way. If you're being passed on the right, you're wrong.
View Quote

Not always.  Sometimes you’re in a center lane and some impatient lead foot deems the passing lane isn’t moving fast enough for him but the right lane has 87ft of clearance.  

Karma is sweet then if he then gets boxed in the slow lane….but then these are the guys that force a frantic lane change and cause pile ups.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Try driving either the speed limit or 5 over IN THE RIGHT LANE. Very relaxing trip…get passed a lot, have to pass a slow poke occasionally, but not very often. Listen to some good tunes…enjoy the drive…life is good!

Constantly getting out of the right lane, and joining the “always in a rush” mix, is a royal pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are in the left lane and a vehicle is behind you, you are an idiot.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here in northern MN, people have to go in the right lane to pass you
View Quote

State has too many gay drivers.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I do, so no, not nobody else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems like it implies that I go 65 in a 65 zone in the right lane but if I get close to a 60 person I pull to the left lane and pass, then get back in the right lane.

I don't do this and nobody else does.

That's exactly what I do, so no, not nobody else.

I stay in the right lane as well, except to pass.  I make many, many passes in the left lane and get back over.  

In the rare occurrence that I am actively passing when another vehicle approaches from behind at a faster speed, I increase my speed accordingly until I can get back to the right lane.  If that takes 95+ mph, I'm fine with it.  

This was coverd repeatedly in my South Carolina high-school driver's education class, in the state drivers test preparation booklet, and my dad harped on this point as well.  I did the same to my son and his buddies also.

I have been to two defensive driving schools in Alabama and one in Arizona, where in each course, the concept of the left lane being for passing was covered.  Both Alabama courses were given by State troopers and both taught that left lane camping is passive aggressive and/or careless behavior and generally caused more unsafe conditions than speeding.  

It is also ticketable in Alabama.  In my area, the police will occasionally announce a crackdown on ticketing for left lane campers in the local news.  

If you don't want to speed then don't speed, if you want to keep others from speeding, then you should consider a future in law enforcement but please contemplate your law enforcement career from the right lane!

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

What if there’s also a vehicle in front of you?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So you're saying treat the left lane like a cheap hooker?
View Quote

How do you roll up a traffic lane in cheap carpet?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You are assuming the car ahead stops immediately. If it takes ~8 ft to stop from 60mph to 0, it has hit a concrete wall, which means you weren't looking beyond 1 car in front of you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your math doesn't make sense

Googling will tell you the recommended safe following distance is 3sec. This is BS. At 60mph you cover 88fps and the average reaction time is 1.5sec. So, you've already eaten up half your following distance. This leaves 1.5sec and ~132ft to stop. The average stopping distance, of a "regular sized" vehicle is >140ft. You're going to make contact...

So, lets just bump it to a 4sec following distance. (not saying this is better)
If you're going to pass a vehicle, w/ a 4sec distance, at a delta of 7.3fps, at 60mph, you'll need to cover: the following distance (4*88), the length of your car (~15ft), the length of their car (~15ft), and another safe following distance (4*88). That's 206ft. At 7.3fps, it'll take >28sec to travel that distance.

You are assuming the car ahead stops immediately. If it takes ~8 ft to stop from 60mph to 0, it has hit a concrete wall, which means you weren't looking beyond 1 car in front of you.

I'm not accounting for any time for you to get from a "safe following distance" to the bumper of the car you are passing because I know you're 3ft off his bumper already.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I hate to say it, but California does one thing right by installing turn-outs on two lane roads to give slower folks a place to wait.   I've even seen a trooper use one to let fast people go by.

Colorado has plenty of places along US24 and US50 where those would be useful for the slow-pokes with campers, but alas there are >10 mile stretches without a legal place to pass.  When legal, there are 87 cars backed up
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get both.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good luck explaining that logic to a Texas DPS officer.
View Quote

I've never been pulled over in Texas for less than 11 over.
I've never been pulled over when running a V1.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If we're talking highway/interstate-type multi-lane roads then it ain't a/the passing lane, its the fast lane.

Single-lane roads/highways that have occassional passing lanes have passing lanes...

...says so on the signs

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c0/5c/d8/c05cd8867a5daf550b62d95c12f908a1.jpg
View Quote

You're WRONG... says so right on the signs.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

What if you are passing someone who is in the right lane?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Why Did Old Cars Not Have Passenger Side Mirrors?

https://thenewswheel.com/why-did-old-cars-not-have-passenger-side-mirrors/

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The passing lane means get the fuck out the way. If you're being passed on the right, you're wrong.
View Quote

If you are being passed on the right - you BOTH are wrong.

But yeah, don't camp in the left lane. Move it or lose it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Through Detoit on I94, the speed limit is 55mph. The slow lane does 80mph on clear traffic times.

View Quote
Yeah baby!

Like getting on 696, you have to get up to 80mph on the entrance ramp to have a chance at merging onto the highway.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.

In many states, "keep right except to pass" is law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

In many states, "keep right except to pass" is law.

In Mn it's called the left lane, not the passing lane.

Several years ago, a state rep from outstate tried to get the keep right law passed. The reps from the Twin Cities metro opposed it because their constituents were too dumb to understand the law. So the best he could get through were signs reminding people to stay right.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I hate to say it, but California does one thing right by installing turn-outs on two lane roads to give slower folks a place to wait.   I've even seen a trooper use one to let fast people go by.

Colorado has plenty of places along US24 and US50 where those would be useful for the slow-pokes with campers, but alas there are >10 mile stretches without a legal place to pass.  When legal, there are 87 cars backed up
View Quote
Yellowstone has numerous turnouts and signs that tell slower traffic to use them.  Idiots going 25 in a 45 zone will cruise right by the turnouts.  And exactly why are they driving 25 on the boring, nothing but scrubby pine right up to the road, no scenery,  and no wildlife loooooong slogs between the pretty stuff?  FFS.  Nothing like leaving something fun and seeing the next stop on your planned loop is 60 miles or more away.  45 is tolerable for 60 miles in Yellowstone but 25 sucks your soul right out.

I think the highways are full of meat popsicles created by an evil genius solely to piss me off.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#23]
The cabin people are just the same effing Morons that hold up Twin Cites traffic Mon -> Fri.    

To me, it doesn't matter how fast you are driving, if I approach, it shouldn't be a surprise, and you should get out of the way.   Anytime there is room in a lane to your right, you should be there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Seems like it implies that I go 65 in a 65 zone in the right lane but if I get close to a 60 person I pull to the left lane and pass, then get back in the right lane.

I don't do this and nobody else does. I just go 78 in the left lane all the time. If someone is going 85 I might get out of their way but they can polish pass me if I don't notice them coming.

But the passing lane is for doing illegal shit right? Nobody actually passes going less than the speed limit, right? So I never got this holier than thou mentality that the left lane is for passing as though nobody speeds in that lane. That shit's for lawbreaking.

When i drive on I35 on a Sunday afternoon everyone is coming back from the cabin. Right lane is usually 78, left is 83. Bumper to bumper and don't f'ing slow down or you'll cause an accident. No room for this passing stuff, both lanes are packed with lawlessness. And the state troopers know not to mess with cabin people trying to get back to the cities. Just keep it floored until you hit the northern metro burbs.
View Quote

"rules" are a suggestion. I suggest you gtfo of the the "passing lane" & ride the middle. Right lane is for slow traffic, far left for passing/faster traffic.
"Assholes don't yield, or merge" Beat it nerd

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm not accounting for any time for you to get from a "safe following distance" to the bumper of the car you are passing because I know you're 3ft off his bumper already.
View Quote

Puh-lease. You can't hypermilage draft at 3 ft.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Do you not realize that the vehicle in front of you will take the same time and distance to come to a stop? Unless they have some new technology which will allow them to come to an instantaneous and complete stop, you will be ok.
View Quote

87% of the time that works 100% of the time
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do you not realize that the vehicle in front of you will take the same time and distance to come to a stop? Unless they have some new technology which will allow them to come to an instantaneous and complete stop, you will be ok.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your math doesn't make sense

Googling will tell you the recommended safe following distance is 3sec. This is BS. At 60mph you cover 88fps and the average reaction time is 1.5sec. So, you've already eaten up half your following distance. This leaves 1.5sec and ~132ft to stop. The average stopping distance, of a "regular sized" vehicle is >140ft. You're going to make contact...

So, lets just bump it to a 4sec following distance. (not saying this is better)
If you're going to pass a vehicle, w/ a 4sec distance, at a delta of 7.3fps, at 60mph, you'll need to cover: the following distance (4*88), the length of your car (~15ft), the length of their car (~15ft), and another safe following distance (4*88). That's 206ft. At 7.3fps, it'll take >28sec to travel that distance.

unless they collide with a car , deer, cow, boulder on the road. Then their rapid deceleration and disassembly may happen before you can react and safely stop, making you part of the multi-vehicle pile up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Still a "suggestion" Do you do everything you are told to do?

sheeple
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In Mn it's called the left lane, not the passing lane.

Several years ago, a state rep from outstate tried to get the keep right law passed. The reps from the Twin Cities metro opposed it because their constituents were too dumb to understand the law. So the best he could get through were signs reminding people to stay right.
View Quote

"You betcha"

"The land of 10,000 left lane camping assholes"

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Straightforward sign.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yellowstone has numerous turnouts and signs that tell slower traffic to use them.  Idiots going 25 in a 45 zone will cruise right by the turnouts.  And exactly why are they driving 25 on the boring, nothing but scrubby pine right up to the road, no scenery,  and no wildlife loooooong slogs between the pretty stuff?  FFS.  Nothing like leaving something fun and seeing the next stop on your planned loop is 60 miles or more away.  45 is tolerable for 60 miles in Yellowstone but 25 sucks your soul right out.

I think the highways are full of meat popsicles created by an evil genius solely to piss me off.  
View Quote

Doesn’t matter, the entrances to Yellowstone are all closed, the roads are flooded, and the bridges collapsed so pullouts will do no good.      
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  OP is simply trying to justify him riding the passing lane.  Clearly if there are people piled up behind you then you need to GTF out of the way by moving to the right.  People who justify to themselves that they belong in the left lane bc the occasionally do pass someone need a swift and enthusiastic kick in the nuts.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 3:07:35 AM EDT
[#34]
GTFO of it after passing - not a difficult concept.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 3:12:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you not read reaction time and braking distance?

Your reaction time starts when you realise the vehicle in front of you brakes, not when they realise they need to brake.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top