Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably due to a bunch of 3G patent lawsuits recently. My prepaid phone is still on 2G lol.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just got a text from Boost Mobile saying that my phone will stop working in the coming weeks due to 3G being phased out.
View Quote

I didn't read the whole thread but...

Imagine you own a company that builds components for 3G devices.  The first year, 2001, you build 1 million components and do that for the next 6 or 7 years until 4G comes out because almost everyone wants faster service.

Now your orders drop to a couple hundred components for 3G and everyone wants you to build more 4G components so eventually you stop making 3G stuff.  The phone company can no longer get 3G parts so they keep it running for as long as they can.

Unfortunately you are a little drop in a sea of 4 and 5G users and the phone company can no longer support you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing to worry about unless you have a heart pump. I wonder what else will get hosed. Old G
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Get with the times!
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My phone has a manual transmission, crank windows and no air conditioning.
View Quote

Do you step on it to get your high-beams?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Could easily keep the equipment going.  3G spectral efficiency sucks due to being fixed to data or voice.  You cannot dynamically allocate bandwidth based on the user's need like you can with 4 and 5G.  Better to upgrade and make better use of the finite resource (spectrum).

You cant sell a surveillance network to the totalitarian government without squeezing the most out of spectrum.  How is every electronic device supposed to send in all that data its recording.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#7]
remember CDMA and what was the other one.. GSM?  the old bag phone and motorola startac days
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#8]
OP still uses an USR 28k modem
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They need the bandwidth used by 3g.

I thought it was common knowledge that carries were phasing out 3g in a week or so. If you have a Subaru with their safety plan, like OnStar, they were replacing the 3g modem with a 4g modem at no cost to you as part of their service. I thought that was pretty good support. Did other car makers do that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought I heard on the radio it had to do with interference with 5g.  Not sure I believe.

They need the bandwidth used by 3g.

I thought it was common knowledge that carries were phasing out 3g in a week or so. If you have a Subaru with their safety plan, like OnStar, they were replacing the 3g modem with a 4g modem at no cost to you as part of their service. I thought that was pretty good support. Did other car makers do that?
OP, do you even spectrum reallocation bro?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Two words for you:

CARRIER

PIGEON
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Intercepting / "hacking" old cell phones is considerably easier from a hardware point of view.

That's why I stick to land lines. Those have never been hacked, ever!

Two words for you:

CARRIER

PIGEON

I have two more words for you: BIRDS AREN'T REAL
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You see, when a mommy cell tower and a daddy cell tower get together....

Basically it's old tech. It's not worth it to maintain the infrastructure when there's something markedly better. It will also free up bandwidth to use with better technologies.
View Quote
the LTE coverage got better out here in the sticks (15 miles from town) but Im sure there are other places where the only thing that worked is 3G. It's going to be exciting to see people complain next hunting season how their expensive cellural game cams no longer work lol.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ADT did mine for free and when I told them I'd think about it they lowered my quarterly bill by 1/3.
View Quote

They have jacked up my bill to $57mo, I'm about to get a new system from an independent local place and monitoring is only $15mo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They also phased out 1G and 2G.
View Quote
My old security system used a 2G connection. It stopped working one day.
The tech was amused to upgrayyed to 3G.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#14]
ATT sent me a free iPhone XR to replace my old iPhone 4.  No contract, no additional expense, and it was unsolicited.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#15]
THOSE BASTARDS! I just had the vacuum tubes replaced in my phone!
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#16]
It has been on the way out for ten years or more. Now what are they going to throttle you to? Simple, they will do what they promised not to.
I can't say if this is "The" shutdown, as it has been pushed back several times already.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#17]
From OP:

Well, I just looked at my phone manual. It's a 4G phone. I'm currently connected using 4G LTE. Should my phone keep working after they kill 3G? Don't care about speed because I don't use my phone for internet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do you still have a fucking flip phone?
View Quote
Well, one of the elders in the extended familiy does indeed have a flip phone - not big on teaching an alzheimers patient how to use another device.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#19]
The world of mobile handset technology is a strange and mysterious place.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
From OP:

Well, I just looked at my phone manual. It's a 4G phone. I'm currently connected using 4G LTE. Should my phone keep working after they kill 3G? Don't care about speed because I don't use my phone for internet.
View Quote

Sure will.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
remember CDMA and what was the other one.. GSM?  the old bag phone and motorola startac days
View Quote

CDMA and GSM, which was TDMA

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Intercepting / "hacking" old cell phones is considerably easier from a hardware point of view.

That's why I stick to land lines. Those have never been hacked, ever!

Two words for you:

CARRIER

PIGEON

5 WORDS

CHECK MAYE
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just got a text from Boost Mobile saying that my phone will stop working in the coming weeks due to 3G being phased out.
View Quote
This has been planned for a long time now.

By end of year 3g will be all turned off.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
From OP:

View Quote

Maybe.

Some older phones used 4G LTE for data but 3G for voice. These phones will also go offline for calling, if they don’t support VoLTE (Voice over 4G LTE). Lots of older stuff doesn’t.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sure will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From OP:

Sure will.

Good. Not sure why they sent that text. And the ONLY reason I have a smartphone is for texting. For phone calls, my flip phone was superior. Also, smaller, lighter, better battery life, less delicate... The smartphone camera is nice though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

even if you are still rocking a flip phone it's not hard to bug it and get your location
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So many youngsters willing to carry a tracking device with a microphone.

Makes no sense. Oh yeah... gotta watch my tik tok vids.

even if you are still rocking a flip phone it's not hard to bug it and get your location

Well, yes, but you can pull the battery out if you want, and if it's a true dumb phone, it won't have the intertial sensor, the multiple high quality cameras, the near field communications (short range wireless coms that are not bluetooth), altitude, and other sensors built in, and it likely won't have the hardware to run the software that's built to snitch so you can have adverts sent to you. You can still be gotten by the mandated 911 gps and tower triangulation, but all that extra data is not being sent. Such as apple knowing your walking gait, which is an identifiable trait.

No good reason to play along and make life easy for all the madison avenue peeping toms (who in turn are peeped on by the government).
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes but I have never seen an official date

Just always "soon"

Im in telematics and theres a bunch of 3G modems out there. Yayyyy
View Quote

Ooh hadn't thought of that. I have some 3G hobby modems that will be toast too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
From OP:

View Quote

If it has 4g that will work on your carrier's 4g freqencies, it should. Customer service should know.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
From OP:

View Quote

Check on you phone carrier website. They will have a list of phones that they will support. Not all of the 4g phones use 4g for voice, some of them just used it for data.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They also phased out 1G and 2G.
View Quote

Was the original OG?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is some irony, my sprint/t-mobile Samsung S10+ stopped getting data the other day. I would have to restart the phone, update the PRL, and it would work for 15 minutes, go into roaming, then no data at all.

T-mobile just shutoff the Sprint towers in my AO....

T-mobile will also be killing 3G March 31st.

I had to go get a new SIM today.

Also ordered a new Samsung S22Ultra as a replacement. They gave me a $900 credit on my S10+.....

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#32]
For those who don't care to go with the herd:  https://dumbphones.pory.app/

Dumb/feature phone finder.

Even has a feature for 4g voice over lte (4gvolte) capable phones.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They've been running 3G at the minimum required by the FCC for about 4 years around here.
View Quote

I'm going to miss 3G. There's a lot of the country that isn't covered by 4G and I imagine 5G is going to be even worse. My camp I can't get a useful 4G signal but can use 3G.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I heard beta max is on its way out
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They have jacked up my bill to $57mo, I'm about to get a new system from an independent local place and monitoring is only $15mo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ADT did mine for free and when I told them I'd think about it they lowered my quarterly bill by 1/3.

Yea, my ex security company charged me $300 to change a $2 part. Took about 45 seconds. Then wanted to put me back under contract for three more years. All explained after the tech left, who was there to pair a smoke detector.
They are my EX security company now, and they just didn't care about losing a customer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm going to miss 3G. There's a lot of the country that isn't covered by 4G and I imagine 5G is going to be even worse. My camp I can't get a useful 4G signal but can use 3G.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They've been running 3G at the minimum required by the FCC for about 4 years around here.

Good.

Keep shrinking that coverage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So many youngsters willing to carry a tracking device with a microphone.

Makes no sense. Oh yeah... gotta watch my tik tok vids.
View Quote

I have a smart phone and don’t use tik tok. Literallly every old person I know has a similar phone.

Guess what, you are being spied on either way.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OP still has a rotary house phone too
View Quote
Those things count as weapons.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Nanobots can't function on 3G
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Was the original OG?
View Quote

ZeroG
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
the LTE coverage got better out here in the sticks (15 miles from town) but Im sure there are other places where the only thing that worked is 3G. It's going to be exciting to see people complain next hunting season how their expensive cellural game cams no longer work lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You see, when a mommy cell tower and a daddy cell tower get together....

Basically it's old tech. It's not worth it to maintain the infrastructure when there's something markedly better. It will also free up bandwidth to use with better technologies.

4G does not work at all near me at my camp. I often see vehicles sitting on the tops of hills with people talking on their cellphones because that's the only way they can get a signal.

This is a case of city people being unable to imagine a world where you aren't right next to a bunch of cell towers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Making way for new technology.. they announced this was coming forever ago
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Also 3g doesn't penetrate tin foil like 5g can.
View Quote
Holy shit!!!! Where can we find 5g graded foil?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Any idea how long 4g will last?
View Quote

No idea, but I’m still building new 4G cell sites.

I’m fairly new to wireless so still learning the ins and outs (coming up on 1 year) but we usually build them with 5G on the same pole. Down in Rio Grande Valley we’re still building a lot of standalone 4G sites, though.

I’ve also been noticing 3G has already been turned off at a lot of tower sites. The old 3G cabinets are still there but they’re powered down.

ETA: I prefer just building 5G sites because the radios are a lot lighter. 4G radios are a PIA.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you also mad Microsoft quit releasing updates for your Windows XP computer?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Kind of like my old Nokia 3310. It just gets phased out.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Maybe.

Some older phones used 4G LTE for data but 3G for voice. These phones will also go offline for calling, if they don't support VoLTE (Voice over 4G LTE). Lots of older stuff doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From OP:

Maybe.

Some older phones used 4G LTE for data but 3G for voice. These phones will also go offline for calling, if they don't support VoLTE (Voice over 4G LTE). Lots of older stuff doesn't.
Many non-carrier branded unlocked phones are international models with 4G LTE for everything but 3G for voice (which is "Enhanced LTE" for ATT). I'm not sure about other carriers, but ATT has told me they will cut off "unsupported models" (they have a list of serial numbers) regardless of customer input. Which sucks since my $800 (7 years ago) phone works just fine and I don't care if I can't call people. The free phone they sent me is a piece of junk. I'll be calling ATT and yelling at them on Monday. I was planning on buying a new phone soon anyway but I won't be able to do it before the end of the month.

I'd been getting texts for months telling me my phone was going to be unsupported, but I assumed they were more spam trying to get me to click on the hyperlink in the texts. I get text spam like crazy.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#49]
You city boys think you’re hot stuff with your fancy 5g signal, you ain’t nothing but two-bit dandy’s.

Us simple country folk gonna be rockin the ol 4g for a long time yet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I’m fairly new to wireless so still learning the ins and outs (coming up on 1 year) but we usually build them with 5G on the same pole. Down in Rio Grande Valley we’re still building a lot of standalone 4G sites, though.

I’ve also been noticing 3G has already been turned off at a lot of tower sites. The old 3G cabinets are still there but they’re powered down.

ETA: I prefer just building 5G sites because the radios are a lot lighter. 4G radios are a PIA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any idea how long 4g will last?

*laughs in 300 watt pager transmitters and 7 ft tall ge mastr cabinets*
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top