Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe a group of American troops during the workup to the 2nd Gulf War, and how they fought?  Definitely do some Falluja episodes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The battle for Castle Itter.  US and German forces team up to fight the SS.  This is the perfect movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0UwLhziocc
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Castle_Itter
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That was a good one too.....if you haven't listened to the 3 with John Stryker Meyer....they're worth the listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNyo7DZ0QBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CnmUAneAxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xjwJHzwRTo
View Quote

Those will be next on the list!  My dad was in country from 66-68, with the 5th SFG....he never talked much about what he did, so hearing these guys talk about their experiences is quite fascinating to me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:06:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Maybe a group of American troops during the workup to the 2nd Gulf War, and how they fought?  Definitely do some Falluja episodes.
View Quote

You mean Generation Kill?  
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:10:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
84 Charlie MOPIC was a B movie about LRRP.
View Quote

Yeah, but it was mostly for Susan. On the west coast. Waiting.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not familar with that one.  I recall there being a number of movies about the Iraq war but they all looked to be Hollywoood anti-military bullshit to me, and I didn't watch them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not familar with that one.  I recall there being a number of movies about the Iraq war but they all looked to be Hollywoood anti-military bullshit to me, and I didn't watch them.
View Quote

Generation Kill is a fantastic HBO miniseries.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Korea.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Battle of Hu?

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good call. It's pretty shocking that there hasn't even been a Gates of Fire feature film made.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gates of Fire

It would take at least 10hrs to tell it as Pressfield wrote it, but would be epic.

His book The Profession would make for an amazing series as well.

Good call. It's pretty shocking that there hasn't even been a Gates of Fire feature film made.

Isn’t that what 300 was based on?

J/k
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#11]
The night time air war over Europe between the Luftwaffe and RAF Bomber Command.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention it, can't believe it took 3 pages
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freaking hilarious too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Non stalingrad german or Russian BOB style.
Maybe of a tank crew?
Or mix it up like they did the Pacific.

Anything about korea.

Either way it's a cgi fest im sure.

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Still waiting for the Mighty Eighth
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Red Storm Rising
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The battle for Castle Itter.  US and German forces team up to fight the SS.  This is the perfect movie
View Quote

There was even one or two SS personnel who fought alongside the Allies to defend the castle, if I remember my reading of the book correctly.  The German who initiated the defense plan was an artillery Major.  

I read years ago that "this was gonna be made into a movie" but so far nothing.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Battle of 73 easting
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#19]
German side of the story, like Generation War. Which was an excellent 3 part series btw
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd like to see a good series made about all the courageous warriors from Arfcom who rose up in arms against government tyranny. Oh wait...
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Korea
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose.

It's about the U.S. Army Corps of Discovery, led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#24]
The Forgotten War. Those men died in sub-zero temperatures killing Communists.

Although obviously Hanks and Spielberg would need either private funding or funding from non-liberal sources.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a cool story
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Something about Vietnam.  As a Vietnam vet I'd like to see more true and accurate movies or series about Vietname.

That is all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Or the Last Stand of Fox Company

Need some love for the Korean War
View Quote

One of my favorite books.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Another vote on Vietnam

I don't feel like Vietnam vets have ever been given a fair shake on the screen. Everything is politicized towards the anti war movement.

Ken Burn's documentary was ok but good God I don't need to hear every fucking episode about what was going on back in the US with hippies protesting the war and the civil rights movement, while completely missing the irony that the anti war movement was what got Americans killed in Vietnam by preventing us from doing what needed to be done to win. Bill Whittles Cold War podcast is the only documentary series I've heard that has the balls to say it.

It seems like every Vietnam documentary covers the same damn topics that anyone with a rudimentary knowledge on it already knows. How about what the guys on the ground were actually doing?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'd like to see a good series made about all the courageous warriors from Arfcom who rose up in arms against government tyranny. Oh wait...
View Quote

LOL.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Black Sheep and Jolly Rogers squadrons
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose.

It's about the U.S. Army Corps of Discovery, led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark.
View Quote

I agree, this should be done but a good Vietnam series like BOB would be great too, I think that it could be done.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
PT boats
View Quote

This- absolutely volumes of ballsy shit those guys did.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lets just reinvent history to the point where the real thing will be remembered by no one.
View Quote

I think that was the joke.

Nice topic, though.  I'm thinking something in India or Burma.  Merrill's Marauders?
Burma road? That area went back and forth a few times IIRC.

There's a lot of action in Indonesia that history has left behind.

There is a book called, "Fires on the Plain" about the Japanese army (or what's left of it) in the Philippines. After their supply lines have collapsed and most of the  infantry was abandoned. It really got ugly for them.  Even (rumored) cannibalism.

Not that i have any love for the IJA, specially after all the death and destruction they caused (and suffered), but it might make an interesting story.
Sort of along the lines of "Letters from Iwo Jima".

Edited: HOLY SHIT! already made a movie about it in 1959. Now i gotta' go find that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Forgotten War. Those men died in sub-zero temperatures killing Communists.

Although obviously Hanks and Spielberg would need either private funding or funding from non-liberal sources.
View Quote

I would wonder if those two would even want to be involved in a project like that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

For what it's worth, The War Below has a couple chapters on the Battle of Leyte Gulf, so we could have a "get both" moment using that book.  

I don't know how you would turn a very finite event like the Battle off Samar into a miniseries.
View Quote

However, you might be able to do it if covering the entire Battle of Leyte Gulf.  However, I'm not sure that it could be done well.  Would probably end up seeming cartoonish with all of the CGI.  Using good quality models of sufficient size, plus real sets and scenes filmed on existing museum ships that are close enough to WWII configuration, and maybe even the occasional vessel purpose-made for the movie (like what was done with The Sand Pebbles), augmented by CGI, would look so much better, but would also be difficult and very expensive, I'd imagine.

A little easier to do this way, and definitely well-suited to a Band of Brothers sort of approach, would be to do a mini-series on the SMS Emden.  Absolutely awesome story.  Because it's not about Americans, I wonder what the market would be for it, though.  Probably too low.  But I'd love to see something like that someday.

Another good one would be about the defense of Manila Bay against the Japanese, or, if the issues with big naval productions could be overcome, one about the death of the Asiatic Fleet, including the U.S.S. Houston.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Another great topic, although it might take two seasons to cover it, would be Dien Bien Phu, done with the realism, on-location shooting, and practical effects of Schoendoerffer's movies about the war.  There's so much to cover including the destruction of the Tsai battalions in the jungles (which apparently inspired one of Schoendoerffer's movies, La 317eme Section, which is the best war movie made, IMO).
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top