Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't a member here make a video of himself nuking a hornets nest last summer?
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Step 1: put the nest in a box

Step 2: put a lid on the box

Step 3: put the box on a Lib’s front porch

Step 4: ring doorbell and open the box
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a length of 1/2 inch EMT conduit. Poke a paper towel about 8 to 10 inches down conduit. Fill with Sevin dust. Using a portable air tank and a blow nozzle, insert conduit into nest and blow Sevin into nest. Retreat and come back next day to a dead nest.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've gone on the offensive against bees my whole life and still do. I've never lost. BFH, pffffft. If I want them gone I go in hot at night. shot a few with scatter guns in the wild.
View Quote

You kill bees?  Seriously?  

ETA:  Of course Killer Bees must die.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Only yellow-jackets.

The other bees and hornets and I have an agreement. They don't fuck with me, I don't fuck with them.

The yellow-jackets started it two years ago attacking me while I was just standing in the drive. If I provoke the bugs I get it but just standing within site of their next gathered me a sting. I went through half a dozen hornet spray cans across that summer. I'd leave the dead bugs out for the lives ones to see as a warning. The hard part is finding the next and then just keeping after them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I hit it with some #7 high brass then come back at night and gas the bastards. Or fire if it's safe to do so.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Got stung through a bee suit taking care of a nest years ago (pest control tech) nailed me in the forearm standing on a 6 foot A-frame. I thought some neighborhood kids nailed me with a pellet rifle at first. Fell/came down ladder quickly twisting my ankle all the while the customer was watching from a safe distance.  "They get yah?" He says. "Yup" I reply. "Thought the suit protected yah?" He says. "Not always." I replied while massaging my arm.

Collected myself, returned to truck to fill up the puffer to max capacity with Tempo dust. Returned to nest, and while ripping it open I was dusting EVERYTHING in my path to the heart of the nest where the Queen bitch hides. Found her, dusted her ass and then smashed her in my gloved hands until only tiny pieces of her remained. FOAD bitch.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Look, I get it.  Getting stung hurts.

But it's funny how, in a forum full of guys who value using available weapons in the defense of self and home, there's so much "Kill 'em all!" talk.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Step 1: put the nest in a box

Step 2: put a lid on the box

Step 3: put the box on a Lib’s front porch

Step 3.5- Kick the box

Step 4: ring doorbell and open the box
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been stung many times by yellow jackets.
I was stung by ground hornets. Those bastards hurt.
I was also swarmed by africanized honey bees-killer bees. They pulled 32 stingers out and I had several bites where the stinger fell out so maybe 40 stings in all.
The ground hornets hurt the most. It’s like getting poked with a soldering iron.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#13]
After the magnolia in my front yard dropped its leaves last fall, I found three hornet nests in it. Most of the hornets were dead but I hosed them down with foaming wasp spray anyways. The tree is right outside my front door.

Size 10 foot for scale. They are still in the bins out back. I need to break up at least the two smaller nests to try as wadding my my muzzleloading smoothbores.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I shot a huge nest in a tree above me with a shotgun when I was about 16.  Bad move.

I kill them with foaming spray for a small nest, a stream stray for larger ones.  Fuck those things, each sting feels like getting hit with a .22.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#15]

A great movie
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've gone on the offensive against bees my whole life and still do. I've never lost. BFH, pffffft. If I want them gone I go in hot at night. shot a few with scatter guns in the wild.

A lot of "under educated" people make zero distinction between anything that flies and has a stinger.  It's easier for them to just call them all "bees" and be done with it.  I'm sure some of those would even joyfully wipe out a honey bees hive just as eagerly as they would a hornet's nest in the barbecue pit.  You know the thing about average intelligence and all...
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I turn around and go the other way.
View Quote

With a purpose.

Exit, stage left!
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#18]
We had a nest of those in a bush in front of our house.   Didn't know it was in there until I tried trimming the bush and clouds of what I thought were flies would come out.   Finally I got my glasses and got a good look just as one did the lock on and kill thing and started chasing me.

Emptied an entire can of wasp/hornet spray onto the nest to no apparent effect.  This stuff was like an off switch for wasps - they dropped dead instantly.  The bald faced hornets acted like they were going through a car wash.

Apparently it did eventually kill them because the next day the nest was empty but I never saw a single dead hornet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We had a nest of those in a bush in front of our house.   Didn't know it was in there until I tried trimming the bush and clouds of what I thought were flies would come out.   Finally I got my glasses and got a good look just as one did the lock on and kill thing and started chasing me.

Emptied an entire can of wasp/hornet spray onto the nest to no apparent effect.  This stuff was like an off switch for wasps - they dropped dead instantly.  The bald faced hornets acted like they were going through a car wash.

Apparently it did eventually kill them because the next day the nest was empty but I never saw a single dead hornet.
View Quote

Once again, read the instructions on the can.  They do not say "spray onto the nest".  It will say "spray directly into the nest's OPENING".  The door where they go in and out.  That way they receive direct immediate contact with what is essentially VX gas to insects.  There is zero way for it NOT to work.  IF USED ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS.  Reading is in reality NOT just for faggots.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I have run afoul of an in ground yellow jacket nest when I ran over it with my gas powered weed whacker.  They let me know in no uncertain terms they didn't want me around.  I got stung a bunch of times as I ran yelling like a 6 year old girl would.  I wanted to kill them with something that wouldn't poison my dogs, or the local wildlife.  Dish soap was the magic.

I went back after dark, put a piece of screen door type screen over the opening and cut a small "X" in the screen.  Then I dumped about half a bottle of Dawn type liquid dish soap into the opening where I cut the "X".  Then put my hose over the opening and turned the hose on trickle and let it run all night. In the morning there were only a couple of very puny stragglers that would come out as I stomped the ground around the nest. Apparently any contact with the dish soap prevents them from "breathing" through their body and they die almost immediately. By noon I couldn't even get any puny stragglers to come out.

The next interaction was with a nest of yellow wasps in my plum tree that was about the size of a basketball.  I waited until dark and took my hose with a very high power nozzle that was like a pressure washer, and two cans of wasp killer out to attack it.  First I blasted it with the wasp killer, then blasted it with the water nozzle to break it open, then hosed the living crap out of it with the wasp killer.  I kept rotating my attack until the core of the nest with all the larva fell onto the ground, and I hosed it down with wasp killer.  I went inside as the remaining few tried to figure out if there was anything to attack.

In the morning I went out to see if there was anything alive, and there were no living wasps.  The core of the nest with all the larva was on the ground and was only about 6 inches across...apparently, most of the nest was fluff and paper...but no living wasps and no larva moving.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I called my neighbor who keeps bees, figuring he has the get-up. He came over to verify they were bald faced because I guess they may attack his bees. He said yup and sprayed them with wasp killer I had. Didn’t even go don his outfit. I’m like, I coulda done that.
View Quote

Next time ask your wife to handle it
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top