BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M-14 ties with every bullpup.

Slight edge to the M-14 being better because at least from everything I've red it was reliable and didn't have to go through a lot of revisions to work well, unlike a lot of bullpups.
View Quote
Yeah that AUG is pretty shitty.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The M 16

View Quote
In its XM16E1 form (no chrome chamber), combined with the out-of-spec ammo (wrong type of powder), and the "It never needs cleaning" BS being fed to the troops, it certainly deserves consideration for this thread. Seeing photos of soldiers & Marines with cleaning rods taped to the handguards (to pop out stuck casings) is hardly confidence-inspiring. I'd much rather have had an M14 during those years (1965-67).
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
WW1 Canadian Ross 303 was pretty bad, had a bolt that could be assembled incorrectly and would fire unlocked
View Quote
In the rifles defense.... They solved all the issues and also it was made to shoot Canuck made ammo which was built to higher specs than the war time Brit ammo.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The M14 was a fine weapon.
View Quote
For the 1940's
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#5]
The INSAS, and it's not even close. The L85 gets an honorable mention, but it is an AR-15 compared to that piece of shit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I thought the magazines were shit in all calibers, what with the cutout in the side so you could see how many rounds remained plus pack it full of mud in the trenches.

Did they not all have that "feature"?
View Quote
The magazines are the weak link of any automatic weapon. Let me ask you this, have you ever seen a Lewis Gun drum? How often do you hear someone talk about
the entirely exposed side of the Lewis drum being an issue in the same manner as the Chauchat?

The cut outs on the side of the Chauchat magazine served to help load the magazine. If you have ever actually loaded or fired a Chauchat you know you have to
pull the spring down as you insert the cartridges. It was common practice to download the mags from 20 to 18 rounds. They insert easily and as long as the feed lips
are not deformed feed fine. Were the mags perfect? No, but the gun was much more important than most realize. The French would have been in dire straights
without it, and it gave them a much more mobile automatic weapon than any other country had. The main problem the Chauchat had was when fired too long on
full automatic. But it was not a LMG it was an automatic rifle.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
AK-47   Should be in the trash can.
View Quote
Something like 1 out of every 5 guns in the entire world is some type of AK.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Something like 1 out of every 5 guns in the entire world is some type of AK.
View Quote
Geez you'd think the Russians would pump those numbers up.......those are rookie numbers!
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For the U.S., this unfortunately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
M14
For the U.S., this unfortunately.
Are you forgetting the Krag Jorgensen?  Single load rounds into a side mounted magazine when the rest of the world had already adopted stripper clips, and only one locking lug which limited the power of the ammo.

Even it's inventors were surprised we adopted it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And yet all these years later they are still seeing some use.
View Quote
I feel that's because our government hasn't given us anything better.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#11]
M1941 Johnson, at least that is what my Uncle told me. He carried one as a ParaMarine during WWII. He ditched his as soon as he could steal a M-1 from the Army.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not a rifle But  the M9  is the biggest POS I was ever issued .................Medic   go turn in your 1911  for a really cool  paper puncher ,,,,,,,,,  
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#13]
M4
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#14]
For US Troops it’s the 30/40 Krag not only does it have the shortest service life for US issued rifles it was obsolete before it ever went into service.

Personal opinions aside historical facts are hard to ignore.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Chau-chat automatic rifle.
View Quote
This is true if counting special purpose firearms however it was not a “general issue” combat rifle
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
M14
Yup, it's problem was it was a battle rifle put into service when everyone was looking at intermediate cartridge stamped steel or lightweight material assault rifles that could be fired F/A with reasonable control and allowed the soldier to carry more ammo.

While it did have development issues, mostly due to the fact that it was complicated to machine and some machines that had made Garand parts didn't work out quite as intended when M14 designed parts were made, it was more reliable weapon then the Garand and was self regulating so ammunition pressures didn't cause breakages like the Garand could.

If it had come out 20 years earlier, it would have been hailed as the greatest battle rifle in the world. The other part.........if it had been made in a smaller caliber, it would have been far more useful for more then semi auto fire. It still has some of the best iron sights out there on a military rifle.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
M14
Accurate, robust, and reliable.

Quality clones are too expensive for many though, hence the criticism.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Chauchat

ETA:  1873 Springfield
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For US Troops it’s the 30/40 Krag not only does it have the shortest service life for US issued rifles it was obsolete before it ever went into service.

Personal opinions aside historical facts are hard to ignore.
View Quote
Good point. Both the rifle and cartridge were outdated at its time of adoption and showed the typical backwards thinking
of US Army ordnance who were typically behind the times with stupid ideas. US troops are lucky they were not stuck with
it in the trenches in 1917.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are you forgetting the Krag Jorgensen?  Single load rounds into a side mounted magazine when the rest of the world had already adopted stripper clips, and only one locking lug which limited the power of the ammo.

View Quote
At the time of the adoption of the Krag. Stripper Clips were not common place. The Lee Metford of the era was not Stripper Clip loaded. Also the Krag was a mature design prior to the Mauser Charger Feed System coming out. We adopted the Krag in 1892. Spain adopted the Mauser in 1893.

Also the Krag is not single load. It is dump load. Meaning you can dump a handful of rounds into the magazine.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I am amused by the hate for the M14 because “7.62 in full auto LOL,” yet nobody mentions the G3 or FAL in the same breath.

I would nominate the original M16 before the A1 mods.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This is true if counting special purpose firearms however it was not a “general issue” combat rifle
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Chauchat saw more heavy combat and was fielded far longer than most here realize. Chauchat gunners
also were awarded a surprising number of decorations for deeds performed on the battlefield. It was issued
in a variety of calibers. It was the American issued .30-'06 guns which incorrectly cut chambers which gave
them a bad reputation. In 1915 they were actually a decent gun ahead of their time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#23]
INSAS is  an ungodly terrible rifle
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am amused by the hate for the M14 because “7.62 in full auto LOL,” yet nobody mentions the G3 or FAL in the same breath.

I would nominate the original M16 before the A1 mods.
View Quote
I would say the G3 is easily the worst when compared to the FAL and M14
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not a rifle But  the M9  is the biggest POS I was ever issued .................Medic   go turn in your 1911  for a really cool  paper puncher ,,,,,,,,,  
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Good point. Both the rifle and cartridge were outdated at its time of adoption and showed the typical backwards thinking
of US Army ordnance who were typically behind the times with stupid ideas. US troops are lucky they were not stuck with
it in the trenches in 1917.
View Quote
I don't think so.....

The Krag was comparable to other rifles of the era. Lee Metford, Lebel Model 1886, Model 1889/1891 Mauser, Kropatschek Model 1886, Gewehr 1888, etc...

The .30-40 Krag was a very capable load of the period and had no problem putting people down. But at the time period, firearms were advancing at a hugely rapid pace. The entire world adopted modern smokeless repeaters in the 1880s and 1890s and by the first decade of the 1900s they were all outdated and outclassed.

But that was because the huge advances occurring with ammunition, powders, and manufacturing.

Germany replaced the Gew 1888 with the Gew 1898. The UK replaced the Lee Metford with Lee-Enfields and later the SMLE. France was in the process of replacing the Lebel with the Berthier.

The US Army at the time was not an expeditionary force in the modern sense of the word. It was a Frontier Army meant to fight the natives and keep the bandits away. Our entire mindset was around the Cowboy and Wild West. Not the trenches and forests of Europe.

The Krag served well in the Span-Am, Boxer Rebellion, and Philippine Insurrection.

The M1903 in my opinion was fine except for the damn target sights. That design was on the Krag and later ditched. The M1902 sights are far superior than the M1901 sights and the same sights that went to the M1903.

Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Chauchat saw more heavy combat and was fielded far longer than most here realize. Chauchat gunners
also were awarded a surprising number of decorations for deeds performed on the battlefield. It was issued
in a variety of calibers. It was the American issued .30-'06 guns which incorrectly cut chambers which gave
them a bad reputation. In 1915 they were actually a decent gun ahead of their time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is true if counting special purpose firearms however it was not a "general issue" combat rifle
Chauchats were used in WWII and chambered in 8mm Mauser my the Yugos. Served well with them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That rifle has a lot of WTF going on with it.  I've seen it a number of times when I've been in India.  It looks like the designers copied a lot of random parts of a lot of rifles and made something that didn't look to do anything any better than any of the rifles they copied.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MSBvE372A3I/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
It's the weight of a G3, but 3 inches shorter, in 5.56, and unreliable.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#29]
AMD-65

I'm a big fan of AKs but the AMD-65 is a piece of shit. I own two of them and they ran great, the 2-3 times I've fired them in 10 years of ownership, but the actual military version is junk. There's no cheek weld at all and the unmodified gas system doesn't work well with the short barrel and one or two mag dumps in full auto is enough to burn your fingers on the metal handguard.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Rifles are debatable with some (dis) honorable mentions already mentioned, but I think we can all agree that the worst service pistol issued to any army in the history of earth will all agree that the Type 94 Nambu is the pistol deserving of that dubious honor.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For the 1940's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the 1940's
I've read the M14 is what the M1 should have been.

I carried a MK14 Mod0 for a while.  I wasn't really impressed.  Based on training I'd done in my civilian job, I figured it would be better than an M4 against cars, and we were often on foot away from our vehicle-mounted belt-feds.

The M-14 was definitely not the worst.  It was better than the SA-80, for sure.  I fired it a few times.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For those saying M14.........your only half right, the rifle itself is not garbage............far from it. It may be the best semi-auto rifle ever built.................using 1930's technology and mindset.

However, it WAS obsolete before it ever was issued. And the fiasco that was the testing and procurement process for it was perhaps one of the biggest cluster fucks in US small arms history.

The M14 should have been adopted in late WW2, when the then War Dept. had already recognized the Garand needed some "improvements" to keep pace with how rapidly military technology was progressing throughout the war.

Why they basically ignored the STG44 concept post war for another decade or more, especially given the combat exp. gained in WW2 is/was border line criminal.

BTW....I own an M1A and love it. But I am not such a homer, I can't see the forest for the trees.
View Quote
the Garand was originally supposed to have a removable box magazine.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've read the M14 is what the M1 should have been.

I carried a MK14 Mod0 for a while.  I wasn't really impressed.  Based on training I'd done in my civilian job, I figured it would be better than an M4 against cars, and we were often on foot away from our vehicle-mounted belt-feds.

The M-14 was definitely not the worst.  It was better than the SA-80, for sure.  I fired it a few times.
View Quote
I don't think was the worst either.  It was pretty accurate and reliable, just a few decades behind the times.  I like my Fulton armory rifle, but its a ways down the list of rifles I would grab if I needed one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Ian Hogg (RIP) warned that revisionists would claim the Chauchat was actually one of the greatest guns ever.

The M9 seems to be loved by people who use them in a civilian environment, where the round counts aren't high, the mags are made by Beretta, and there's no sand.  A Glock or a Makarov make more sense in terms of how easy they are to detail strip.  The Makarov actually has the same mechanism as the M9 in terms of the decocker/safety except the design is so simple you can grab a fully assembled gun and within 10 seconds have in your hand the safety, the firing pin, and the extractor.

I think the Krag was thrown under the bus to mask the awful tactics used at the Battle of San Juan Hill.  "We didn't get shot up because we were dumb, it was because their bolt action rifle was so much better than our bolt action rifle."  Yeah right.

A soldier in Vietnam was asked to provide feedback on the M14.  He said he wanted a less "buxom" rifle.  What he really meant was "bucksome."
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Rifles are debatable with some (dis) honorable mentions already mentioned, but I think we can all agree that the worst service pistol issued to any army in the history of earth will all agree that the Type 94 Nambu is the pistol deserving of that dubious honor.
View Quote
In Tales of the Gun, "Japanese Guns of World War II," one of the historians takes a 94 to the range.  He introduces it as "a freakish weapon with an exposed sear."  Haha.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For those saying M14.........your only half right, the rifle itself is not garbage............far from it. It may be the best semi-auto rifle ever built.................using 1930's technology and mindset.

However, it WAS obsolete before it ever was issued. And the fiasco that was the testing and procurement process for it was perhaps one of the biggest cluster fucks in US small arms history.

The M14 should have been adopted in late WW2, when the then War Dept. had already recognized the Garand needed some "improvements" to keep pace with how rapidly military technology was progressing throughout the war.

Why they basically ignored the STG44 concept post war for another decade or more, especially given the combat exp. gained in WW2 is/was border line criminal.

BTW....I own an M1A and love it. But I am not such a homer, I can't see the forest for the trees.
View Quote
This.  M-14 is a good weapon.  It just wasn't a good weapon for Viet Nam.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#37]
G41 for Wehrmacht were pretty terrible.

Late war Arisaka were ridiculously rough.

Terrible battle sight on the M1903 made it suck.

L85A1 takes the cake. Cool concept, horrible execution.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#38]
French MAS 1936.....
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Chauchat

View Quote
The trapdoor wasn't all that great but it wasn't all that bad either. A study of the Little Bighorn battlefield found that only 2% of the recovered trapdoors had stuck casings. The early M16's were much worse for stuck casings in Vietnam.

The trapdoor decision wasn't all that bad when you consider the real threats to the US were wars with foreign countries. At the time, those countries also mainly used single shot rifles. The Native Americans didn't pose that big of a threat to the country in comparison.

With that being said, trapdoor was a very poor choice for the Indian wars. Repeaters would've been the much better choice, but I personally feel that Custer still would've lost due to the huge number of natives and the inactions of Reno and Benteen.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Reising submachine gun
Italian Carcano
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. Anyone who says M14 knows fuck all about American martial firearms.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
WW1 Canadian Ross 303 was pretty bad, had a bolt that could be assembled incorrectly and would fire unlocked
View Quote
I just found out my great-grandfather was wounded at Passchendaele Ridge, which prompted me to read up on the battle and watch a couple of documentaries on YT.

One of the documentaries had some footage that made me laugh. During a lull in the fighting a group of Canadian soldiers were making their way through the mud and one of them just throws his rifle away. He tossed it into the mud and kept walking.

Other footage showed them struggling to cycle the bolt between shots, but I suspect the mud had a lot to do with that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
French MAS 1936.....
View Quote
One of the better design combat bolt action rifles. The sights are fantastic on it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yup, it's problem was it was a battle rifle put into service when everyone was looking at intermediate cartridge stamped steel or lightweight material assault rifles that could be fired F/A with reasonable control and allowed the soldier to carry more ammo.

While it did have development issues, mostly due to the fact that it was complicated to machine and some machines that had made Garand parts didn't work out quite as intended when M14 designed parts were made, it was more reliable weapon then the Garand and was self regulating so ammunition pressures didn't cause breakages like the Garand could.

If it had come out 20 years earlier, it would have been hailed as the greatest battle rifle in the world. The other part.........if it had been made in a smaller caliber, it would have been far more useful for more then semi auto fire. It still has some of the best iron sights out there on a military rifle.
View Quote
This, I carried one and still like it.  When they were issued to folks in A Stan they had no training in it including no idea how to sight it in or even read wind.  Unfortunately that was also how the M 16 was issued.  Both are well designed and effective rifles.  We were issued the m 14 in Berlin and put the entire 6th Infantry emergency training at Rose range.  The new folks coming in from Infantry School had fired it and were familiar with it.  The sights were the same as the M-1 so there was no problem with adjusting to them.  If given my druthers I would carry my SOCOM 16 with the Sadlak mount for a red dot on this baby.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Chauchat

View Quote
Yeah, the trap door system is pretty dumb for combat
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Actually, the vast majority of Type 94s were private purchases, as I understand it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
M-14 ties with every bullpup.

Slight edge to the M-14 being better because at least from everything I've red it was reliable and didn't have to go through a lot of revisions to work well, unlike a lot of bullpups.
All bullpups are shitty, it's why countries that use bullpup service rifles often issue M4's to their special forces and special police.
Notice how bullpups rose during the relatively peaceful era of the cold war. Yet as soon as the rifles were put to the test in the GWOT, many of the short comings were exposed.

You might over it, but the observable evidence is that people who shoot people for a living don't use them if they don't have to, because they're not good at getting the job done.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
For the 1940's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the 1940's
Not even then, Pre ww1 it was known that .30 caliber rounds and such were excessively large and wasteful since most round fired hit dirt, and that lighter, smaller rounds were better. Even the Garand in the 30's wasn't designed as a .30 cal gun.

The M-14 would have been a fine weapon for the 1910's and 20's.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Actually, the vast majority of Type 94s were private purchases, as I understand it.
View Quote
Japanese Officers were required to purchase their kit, as I understand it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I don't think so.....

The Krag was comparable to other rifles of the era. Lee Metford, Lebel Model 1886, Model 1889/1891 Mauser, Kropatschek Model 1886, Gewehr 1888, etc...

The .30-40 Krag was a very capable load of the period and had no problem putting people down. But at the time period, firearms were advancing at a hugely rapid pace. The entire world adopted modern smokeless repeaters in the 1880s and 1890s and by the first decade of the 1900s they were all outdated and outclassed.

But that was because the huge advances occurring with ammunition, powders, and manufacturing.

Germany replaced the Gew 1888 with the Gew 1898. The UK replaced the Lee Metford with Lee-Enfields and later the SMLE. France was in the process of replacing the Lebel with the Berthier.

The US Army at the time was not an expeditionary force in the modern sense of the word. It was a Frontier Army meant to fight the natives and keep the bandits away. Our entire mindset was around the Cowboy and Wild West. Not the trenches and forests of Europe.

The Krag served well in the Span-Am, Boxer Rebellion, and Philippine Insurrection.

The M1903 in my opinion was fine except for the damn target sights. That design was on the Krag and later ditched. The M1902 sights are far superior than the M1901 sights and the same sights that went to the M1903.

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/kca/Photos/riflesights.JPG
View Quote
Do not agree
The US Army Model 1892 "Krag" rifle featured an outdated feed mechanism at the time of its adoption.
En bloc clips had been in use since the mid 1880s and Mauser introduced his stripper clip in 1891.

of the Triple Entente
The Russian Mosin 1891 featured rapid reloading by 5-shot clips
The French M1890 Berthier featured an en bloc 3-shot clip and later a 5-shot clip, although it was never intended as a replacement for the M1886 R93 Lebel as you suggest.
The British M1888 Lee-Metford was upgraded to be rapidly reloaded with 5-shot chargers before being replaced in 1895 by the Lee Enfield

Of the Central Powers
Germany at this time period had their M1888 8mm rifle which could be quickly reloaded using a 5-shot en bloc clip
Austria had the M1888 rifle and M1890 carbine which both fed from en bloc clips
The Italians had their 6.5mm M1891 which featured 6-shot en bloc clips.

So, of all these rifles adopted at this same period in time only the US Army's pick lacked a way to rapidly reload it. NO other country in this time period fielded a rifle which could not
be reloaded rapidly by either stripper clip or en bloc. The two chief complaints by troops fielding them in combat? Slow to reload and poor exterior ballistics. Yes, the .30 US Gov cartridge
was effective, but you had to be able to hit them with it.

The .30 US Gov cartridge was never improved to any real degree. When it was replaced by the .30-'06 M1906 load, this load proved to have issues of its own such as over 1,000 yards less useful range when fired from MGs then the 8mm Lebel, which was the standard issue to US troops in World War I. The M1906 load was subsequently replaced after the war.

The Krag was an improvement over the M1873 rifle, yes. But the writing was clearly on the wall starting in the 1880s that loading by individual rounds was passe. All the rifles adopted at the same time as the M1892 Krag featured modern methods for rapid reloading. US troops paid the price when facing M1893 Mauser rifles.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top