Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When they started giving vaccines to 6mo babies
View Quote
BAM 97X. The future of rock and roll.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:(I don't know any parent that would want an Autistic kid any more than a parent would want one with Downs Syndrome)
View Quote
@gsc0527
Let me introduce you to the shitbaggery known as qualified public housing, SS/DI, medicare/Medicaid family caregiver payments, etc.

PS, Just to be clear: I have patients who are mentally obliterated on 24/7 life support being kept alive because they are the families income stream. Now compare that to some quack diagnosis of autism.
View Quote
Sadly, for some, a child with a chronic condition is like a Lotto ticket. Sick, sad, world.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We are all on the spectrum.
View Quote
How dare you!
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I would imagine the mommies are the autistic ones.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
iirc, the definition in the DSM changed because autism is manifested "on a spectrum" and isn't binary like "you're infected with rhinovirus" or "you're not infected with rhinovirus"

It's not feel-good, it's a more accurate description of autism, because many people are "autistic" but wholly functional, while others are cripplingly autistic
View Quote
This right here. 1st hand experience with my son.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have you seen some of the shit boomers post here?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where are all the Autistic senior citizens? Where are the middle aged Autists?
Just look at RDak's memes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#7]
When did a huge amount of kids stop being little brats with shitty parents and start being on the spectrum
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As a former mental health professional, ‘autism’ is a massively over diagnosed sham. In my experience, half the kids we worked with that were labeled ‘autistic’ were not at all. Just shit parenting and unchecked bad behavior and other factors coming together to make a ‘syndrome’. The vast overdiagnosis is a disservice to the children who really are born with autism.
View Quote
Bingo. “Why is your kid such a shit head?”

“He’s on the spectrum.” Please feel bad for me because I am a shitty parent.”
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Twelve out of every ten children in America are "on the spectrum."
View Quote
Snort
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Now that every kid is autistic you need something else to make them more snowflake.

Do spectrum-ers(?) get a different car magnet?
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't you know that piss poor parenting can't be the problem?
Kids can't be accountable for themselves at all...

They all have autism, asshale-bergers, ADHD or some other variation, and the solution is either medicate to zombie land or let them run like wild animals..

And for the record, my nephew is Autistic...beyond Rainman.
I take great offense when people use the ADHD/Autism crap excuses for their kids lack of discipline.

I will never hear "Hey uncle Matt," or have a 'normal' conversation with him.
He is 10 now, goes to some of the best schools for autism. Can't speak in complete sentences but absorbs information beyond that of a MAC Book.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
via Imgflip Meme Generator" />
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
... being "on the spectrum"? Aren't they either autistic or not? Is "on the spectrum" just a euphemism to make mommies feel better? I understand there are different degrees of autism, so maybe that's what the "spectrum" is about. There are degrees of the common cold, too, so if your kid has a cold, is he "on the cold spectrum"?

I'm not being rude or insensitive ... I'm just reacting to the double-talk and feel-good language we seem to have to have these days. I never heard the phrase "on the spectrum" until about a year ago, so is it a change in the disorder or just a change in terminology?
View Quote
Bingo.

You have the Rain Man types, and the average engineer types
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fuck, I wish.

My boy is assburgers level on the spectrum.  There ain't any paycheck coming in for THAT.
View Quote
Mine too. We knew it when he was in school, but now just officially had him diagnosed at the age of 22.

People like to be edgy, and make fun of it, but there were times when he could be a nightmare to deal with, and other times
just outright heartbreaking
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When they got rid of the distinctions between "asperger's" and "Autism".

Once they merged the two, they needed a term to describe "just how Autistic your kid is", so they created a Spectrum.  Its like a rainbow, only without all the colors.

And EVERYONE is on it.  If you're totally Neuro-typical, you're still on the SPECTRUM.  You get a spectrum.  YOU get a spectrum,  EVERYONE gets a spectrum.

Schools love that juicy $$$ for all those IEP kids.
View Quote
Back when the DSM had several different diagnoses available, the IDEA primary disability classification that reflected on IEPs was Autism. (i.e. If a kid qualified for special education services based on Aspergers or one of the other lesser known syndromes, the IDEA classification was Autism.) There is sometimes a difference between the medical or psych diagnoses that a person has and the applicable educational label. It's not dissimilar from the plethora or mental illnesses that are serviced under the educational label of Emotional Disturbance. It is also relevant to note that for IEP purposes, a kid with dual diagnoses may have autism but be serviced on the basis of something else. For example, a kid with clinical diagnoses of depression and autism spectrum disorder whose education is more impacted by the depression would likely receive services under the educational label of Emotional Disturbance, not Autism. Under IDEA, the educational plan would still have to meet the student's whole needs (and the educational strategies would likely be informed by the knowledge of both clinical issues).

Sometimes parents and districts might find that certain resources might be easier to get when a student is receiving services under certain educational labels/ primary disability classifications.

Perception of stigma also drives labeling. Consider the hypothetical that I previously suggested, in which a kid has dual clinical diagnoses of depression and autism spectrum disorder. A parent might be very opposed to the educational label of Emotional Disturbance because of perceived stigma. Nobody holds carnivals for depression awareness or puts bumper stickers on their car to express how special they feel having a kid who is diagnoses with depression. Autism is something that is embraced right now and is something that people have an element of awareness for (hence all of the autism awareness events in various communities, ribbons on cars, etc....). They may be more likely to accept services under the Autism label.

In terms of money for special education servicing. It is often substantially more expensive to educate students  with disabilities than the added funding that a district gets for them. That is more and more true when a kid requires any sort of significant assistive technology, 1:1 or other small ratio intensive staffing, special nursing support, special transportation, or out of district placement (or some combination of the above).
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm probably on the spectrum after 14 mixed drinks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Spectrum is the name of my cable provider. They are aptly named.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#19]
When they stopped handing out the belt for bad behavior.

Link Posted: 12/14/2019 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
iirc, the definition in the DSM changed because autism is manifested "on a spectrum" and isn't binary like "you're infected with rhinovirus" or "you're not infected with rhinovirus"

It's not feel-good, it's a more accurate description of autism, because many people are "autistic" but wholly functional, while others are cripplingly autistic
View Quote
So, they are all autistic in some way. In other words binary.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#21]
also,
I don't know if its been mentioned here yet but Public Schools have been pushing the spectrum bullshit to alot of students and their families to gain more federal education money due to the special needs issue.

in Tulsa i think the they try to diagnose every kid with it due to their budget crunch.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#22]
You level up every three years you spend in GD. I'm going for the high score.

Link Posted: 12/14/2019 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m on spectrum and it provides shitty internet service.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

BAM 97X. The future of rock and roll.
View Quote
Eighty-two, eighty-two, eighty-two.

Two hundred, fffffforty six.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Holy shit, antivaxxers actually exist? I thought you all were just a shitty internet meme
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy shit, antivaxxers actually exist? I thought you all were just a shitty internet meme
Oh, no. They’re here. They’re real. And maybe not out in force as much as they used to be, but lurking on the sidelines.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That was last year brother.

Now it's thirteen out of every ten

I have a nephew who is autistic, and my sister is a fucking saint. No idea how she didn't pull her hair out years ago. It's been a hard journey, that's for sure.

These days, I'm wondering how many total kids are "on the spectrum" mainly for that sweet sweet SSI money (I know of two).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Twelve out of every ten children in America are "on the spectrum."
That was last year brother.

Now it's thirteen out of every ten

I have a nephew who is autistic, and my sister is a fucking saint. No idea how she didn't pull her hair out years ago. It's been a hard journey, that's for sure.

These days, I'm wondering how many total kids are "on the spectrum" mainly for that sweet sweet SSI money (I know of two).
The problem is that you still have more traditional people in denial that their kid has issues, while the special snowflake crowd wants their kid to be labeled so they gain intersection points among their peer group.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We are all on the spectrum.
View Quote
Most males actually are.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Oh, no. They’re here. They’re real. And maybe not out in force as much as they used to be, but lurking on the sidelines.
View Quote
Most of them died from the measles.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are you saying vaccines may have different effects on fully developed adults and young, developing children?

View Quote
Apples to peaches.  ASRM asked, "How many vaccines are you willing to take?"  My bolding, I answered him.  He did not ask how many vaccines would I be willing to give my kid.  In that case, the answer is all the recommended ones, just spreading them out, not 6 at a time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
LOL, I was in the Army for 22 years then worked for the CDC for 10.  I filled up three shot records (the yellow books).  No autism and never even turned into a newt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let me ask you, how many vaccines are you willing to take? Watch a regular news channel and watch all the BigPharma ads on vax. You would be a pin cushion if you took all the recommended vaccines.
LOL, I was in the Army for 22 years then worked for the CDC for 10.  I filled up three shot records (the yellow books).  No autism and never even turned into a newt.
That's what you think.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#32]
When I was a kid..........these kids were “retarded”
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Adult day care program?
Mental health?
In home ihss care?
Senior living care?
Special needs group homes?
In the ER waiting room?
Homeless under a bridge?
County lockup or prison?

I doubt you spend much time at any locations that might house a middle aged autistic person. Therefore, you don’t see them. It doesn’t mean they don’t exist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Adult day care program?
Mental health?
In home ihss care?
Senior living care?
Special needs group homes?
In the ER waiting room?
Homeless under a bridge?
County lockup or prison?

I doubt you spend much time at any locations that might house a middle aged autistic person. Therefore, you don’t see them. It doesn’t mean they don’t exist.
This.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#34]
I think there are definite varying degrees of autism.

My mom (66 years old) is definitely on the spectrum - just back when she was a kid they didn't quite know what to do with her. She is ADD as well. She is very good at her job (works for an airline and LOVES fare rules and codes and what they mean and don't mean) but she can't do very emotional conversations. She was NEVER a soccer mom - she taught me a lot of independence even though she is NOT independent - (aka hey mama, will you come to my soccer game? Nah lovetheduns, soccer isn't my interest. It's yours).

I have a former barn mate (I have a horse) who her adopted daughter from China is severely autistic. Pretty much non-verbal - will want to watch the same YouTube video over and over for hours, sometimes messes up her pants at school (she is in the 9th grade).

My mom and this kid are legions apart.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I’ve never seen an anti-vaxxer provide any evidence that comes from a medical doctor.
I’ve never actually looked myself though. It’s always just twists in logic, just like flat earthers. It could sound right if you have zero knowledge on the subject, but to everyone else they look like fucking retards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve never seen an anti-vaxxer provide any evidence that comes from a medical doctor.
I’ve never actually looked myself though. It’s always just twists in logic, just like flat earthers. It could sound right if you have zero knowledge on the subject, but to everyone else they look like fucking retards.
I actually looked in a past thread about flu vaccines.  The anti-vaxxer kept citing some magical source that refuted the entire medical community about the ineffectiveness of flu vaccines.  I kept quoting his own source that refuted his argument but he kept ignoring it.  I just kept imagining a kid wearing tinfoil covering his ears screaming "do the research and think for yourself man".  I eventually stopped trying to argue with stupid.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Im just realizing Ive never seen someone with "autism" who was older than early 20's. They all get locked in a group home when they get kicked off their parents insurance at 27?
View Quote
Just posted about my mom who is 66.

Back then, they just thought you were odd.

My mom doesn't read social cues, she wants to interact but she doesn't read social situations well at all. She doesn't connect well with emotions (I could be telling my mom about something that utterly devastated me and she will all of a sudden ask me if I saw the cat across the street walking to his house). She never liked playing with kids she wanted to just be alone. She has a hard time concentrating on anything except whatever is her interest. She would and still does engage in certain behaviors that are super repetitive (the list making makes me insane). She is great at her job (she works for an airline and is super fascinated by DOT rules, fare codes and rules) she works in reservations with elite passengers and they tend to like her- she is efficient and does not engage in small talk unless they somehow bring up a cat.

I knew of sn older man at church who was similar to her except his obsession was ham radios and audio equipment. Another one was the son of a couple who was a few years younger than my mom. Same type of thing - very polite but folks like him and my mom were just seen as odd and ignored. The last guy I spoke about never progressed past having a job at a movie theater but the audio guy was an audio engineer and my mom somehow fell into her airline job that matched her abilities.

So I am not really sure if it is because more kids are autistic now or if people are just wanting to try snd "fix" the odd and different kids but folks on the spectrum definitely existed before.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
first time I read the symptoms of autism, I panicked, I was like “holy shit, I have 20% of the symptoms, am I autistic?”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides that, go read the traits of autism and tell me you've never met anyone exhibiting at least some of them that wasn't a kid.
first time I read the symptoms of autism, I panicked, I was like “holy shit, I have 20% of the symptoms, am I autistic?”
You are definitely on the Spectrum.    Don’t worry, you can still live a kick ass life.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Having to put people into only two boxes "tarded" and "not-tarded", puts a person on the spectrum of idiocy.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top