BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the 9mm Parabellum, try the Hornady 115 grain XTP together with 6.7 grains of Power Pistol.  The cartridge overall length is 1.075".

From a 5 inch barrel you will see close to 1300 fps.

This is a maximum load so use this data with discretion.
View Quote

I've found this load to be quite devastating; a hot loaded XTP is a pretty good bet.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]
.356 TSW is just 9mm Major, but with a slightly longer case so it cant be dropped into weak/old 9x19 handguns.

I'd just get a strong 9x19 pistol, some Shell Shock 9x19 cases, and load 9mm +p+/major/.356 TSW loads. Same performance, lower cost.

Shell Shock cases can last ~10x firing of +p+ 124gr @ 1290fps from a G19, and cost less then starline brass.

Shell Shock 9mm Casings +P+ Torture Test

Probably a G34 with a compensator and fully supported barrel would be a good choice, in terms of maximizing velocity and a affordable and durable pistol. Basically this gun, but using the more contemporary MOS optic mount; a threaded G34 barrel should put you at around 6" of barrel length for maximum, 17L velocities.

https://americanhandgunner.com/discover/whats-9-major/

9mm Major from a 4.6" Glock w/ Comp

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Jesus Christ people From OP’s original post and just a bit further down the first page:

Quoted:
I’d be handloading from the start so factory ammo availability and cost are irrelevant, but new or once fired brass being unobtainable would make it a nonstarter. I’d also like to stay with the 9mm sized case head for compatibility with my Dillon 650 reloading bits.
View Quote

Quoted:
Looks like some clarification is in order. Not looking for a hot 9x19 factory ammo or projectile recommendations for self defense, but for advice on an entirely different, bigger/faster, cartridge which still uses .355-.356” projectiles.

I’d like it to use the same 9mm case head, so I can just swap in a barrel and maybe recoil spring on a 9mm 1911 or G17, or at least be able to use the 9mm 1911 or G17 frame with a couple lug and play slide/barrel/recoil spring combo.
View Quote

To summarize:

- NOT a hot loaded 9x19 or 9mm Major
- NOT 357 Sig
- Something the same overall length as 9x19 (meaning no 38 Super, no 9x21, etc) to fit into an unmodified G17 sized frame
- OP specifically stated he will be handloading in his first post

The reading comprehension/conversational relevance on this site is utterly infuriating sometimes
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ people From OP’s original post and just a bit further down the first page:

To summarize:

- NOT 357 Sig
- Something the same overall length as 9x19 (meaning no 38 Super, no 9x21, etc) to fit into an unmodified G17 sized frame

The reading comprehension/conversational relevance on this site is utterly infuriating sometimes
View Quote

Many answers have been given. There is a reason people keep making the same recommendations and (at least some of it) isn't due to a lack of comprehension.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

To summarize:

- NOT 357 Sig

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I’d be handloading from the start so factory ammo availability and cost are irrelevant, but new or once fired brass being unobtainable would make it a nonstarter. I’d also like to stay with the 9mm sized case head for compatibility with my Dillon 650 reloading bits.

Quoted:
Looks like some clarification is in order. Not looking for a hot 9x19 factory ammo or projectile recommendations for self defense, but for advice on an entirely different, bigger/faster, cartridge which still uses .355-.356” projectiles.

I’d like it to use the same 9mm case head, so I can just swap in a barrel and maybe recoil spring on a 9mm 1911 or G17, or at least be able to use the 9mm 1911 or G17 frame with a couple lug and play slide/barrel/recoil spring combo.

To summarize:

- NOT 357 Sig

Re-read what you quoted there...I'll wait.

Re-read it again, just so you can be sure of what you quoted, and then what you said.

Now that you've re-read it:

...so., 38 Super, Super Comp, 9x23, etc. I don't see OAL of 9mm in a single thing you quoted. Case head size, 38 Super's rim is a little wider but on most 9mm breechfaces, it won't matter.

You do know what a case head is....right?
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Many thanks to all who’ve added info, either from personal experience or published elsewhere.

I think the plan is to buy a threaded G34 barrel from SiCo, source an aftermarket RMR cut G34 slide, and a 21lb recoil spring for a P80 frame I have sitting naked.

Will either have the barrel recut for 960Rowland or run 9 Major loads.

Any recommendations for a 1/2x28 threaded comp? Looking at Rainier and Glock Store and there are certainly tons of options, but which are actually effective and which are just something a dude with a CNC banged out because he thought it looked cool?
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

To summarize:

- NOT 357 Sig

View Quote

What part of his posts rule out 9mm major?

Hell most of your “summarizations” arent stated by the op.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Many thanks to all who’ve added info, either from personal experience or published elsewhere.

I think the plan is to buy a threaded G34 barrel from SiCo, source an aftermarket RMR cut G34 slide, and a 21lb recoil spring for a P80 frame I have sitting naked.

Any recommendations for a 1/2x28 threaded comp? Looking at Rainier and Glock Store and there are certainly tons of options, but which are actually effective and which are just something a dude with a CNC banged out because he thought it looked cool?
View Quote

Most of the compensators for Glocks on the market these days are actually designed for off the shelf 9mm ammo with lower pressure, which is why so many of them only have one or two ports. Since you’ll be running ammo with much higher pressure, it’d be worth getting a larger compensator designed to take advantage of all that extra gas. Check out Carver Customs and S&J Customs for larger competition Glock comps, they’re both well designed and have been proven in competition for a long time:

https://www.carvercustom.com/ecommerce/comps-barrels-glock-xdm-s-w-m-p/glock/glock-compensators.cfm

https://stores.sjcguns.com/sjc-major-9mm-11-port-aluminum-compensator/

https://stores.sjcguns.com/sjc-9mm-compensator-5-port-aluminum/

If you do go with a larger comp with more ports, you also shouldn’t need a recoil spring that’s quite as heavy. Something more in the 15-17 pound range would be about right.

Building an effective and reliable compensated gun can be a somewhat intricate balance between ammo power factor, compensator size, and spring weight. May take some trial and error until you settle on the right combination for your preferences
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

To summarize:

- NOT 357 Sig

View Quote

Nothing he said precluded .38 Super or Super Comp
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Arguing/promoting about pistol performance is retarded.

There is unlimited enough data out there to tell you pistols suck for wounding vs rifles.

Yet, GD still argues the benefit of a 9x23 vs 9x19, 10mm etc….

It’s mental retardation.

If Kyle Rittenhouse had a pistol, he’d be dead.

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There is unlimited enough data out there to tell you pistols suck for wounding vs rifles.

It’s mental retardation.

View Quote

When making statements like this, one should take care to differentiate among stopping, killing, and wounding.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When making statements like this, one should take care to differentiate among stopping, killing, and wounding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s mental retardation.

Also keep in mind I said from the start this isn’t for carry or HD. Just gun games and fucking around.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

This setup is designed for 9mm Major, and available for the 34 as well as 17:
https://www.carvercustom.com/ecommerce/sjc-glock-custom-accessories/glock-sjc-major-9mm-compensator-5-port-kkm-combo.cfm

Pair it with a Brownells RMR 34 slide and you're on your way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

To summarize:

- NOT 357 Sig

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To summarize:

- NOT 357 Sig

Basically the only cartridge that meets those requirements (G17 COL, 9mm breachface) is .356TSW, which is a pointless cartridge if he's reloading as its just 9mm Major with proprietary, hard to source brass.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s mental retardation.

All bullets be it rifle/pistol will wound.

Stopping?
Killing?
Wounding?

Shot placement.

1500 vs 1150 fps does not mean shit.

It’s where you need to put it and can it penetrate the vital areas?

Can you fire as fast as possible and put it exactly where you need it?

Ball 9mm will (and has) drop a bear if put in the right spot.

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:38:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It’s mental retardation.

View Quote

And yet a .380acp did work on Franz Ferdinand and his wife. Not arguing your point, it's just something I always think about when this data is brought up. The amount of coincidence involved in that event is mind boggling.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.carvercustom.com/ecommerce/sjc-glock-custom-accessories/glock-sjc-major-9mm-compensator-5-port-kkm-combo.cfm

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered a Brownells RMR 34 slide and SiCo threaded 34 barrel along with the S&J 11 port comp yesterday.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I ordered a Brownells RMR 34 slide and SiCo threaded 34 barrel along with the S&J 11 port comp yesterday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome. Look forward to hearing how the project turns out.

Some more info that may be helpful:

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/making-major-hodgdon-cfe-pistol-powder/137998

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Playing-with-9mm-major/42-484452/

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/9/28/high-pressure-loads-in-shell-shock-nas3-cases

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Got all the parts in from BF purchases.

P80 frame and slide completion kit
Glock LPK and Gen 3 recoil assembly
Brownells G34 RMR cut slide
SilencerCo 9mm threaded barrel
RM06 RMR
SJC 11 port comp

Going to run a couple hundred rounds through it in 9mm then send it off to be cut for 960 Rowland.

Attachment Attached File

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top