BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Who watches Anime? (Page 453 of 764)
Page / 764
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I'm not really sure which was worse. The end of the TV series made me hate Anno, the end of the movie made me hate Shinji, and I already hated everyone else involved besides Kaji Ryoji. The series is bad. The writing is bad. The characters are all fucked up. I hate it all.

Based on what I've seen about the Rebuild series, I might watch it. It might actually be good. Maybe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

I'm not really sure which was worse. The end of the TV series made me hate Anno, the end of the movie made me hate Shinji, and I already hated everyone else involved besides Kaji Ryoji. The series is bad. The writing is bad. The characters are all fucked up. I hate it all.

Based on what I've seen about the Rebuild series, I might watch it. It might actually be good. Maybe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Meh. I watched the original series a few years ago to check the box. Too much other stuff to watch that might be decent than to drop more time down that well IMO.

The idea of the series/world is great, but the whole execution just seems like a mishmash.  I really don’t understand the love some have for it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#3]
What is your favorite "reality check" moment in anime?

Mine would be Shalltear Bloodfallen vs. Brain Unglaus.

In a matter of minutes Brain goes from cocky AF and 100% confident he'll easily win to.... running away crying and mentally destroyed.  The icing on the cake is Shalltear's quote of "sorry about that, I measure strength in meters, so I can't discern differences of a millimeter or two."

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The funniest though would probably be Gobta vs Gabiru.

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:

In a matter of minutes Brain goes from cocky AF and 100% confident he'll easily win to.... running away crying and mentally destroyed.  The icing on the cake is Shalltear's quote of "sorry about that, I measure strength in meters, so I can't discern differences of a millimeter or two."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqUBu_Dq7J8

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-11-2015/fbTcS8.gif

View Quote

That one made me lol

I never thought about my favorite in that genre. Probably one of the instances in Naruto.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dog-meat:

Fuckers. That combo was the reason I bought vrv.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
HIDIVE Leaves VRV Streaming Service Bundle on September 30

We all knew this was going to happen.

Fuckers. That combo was the reason I bought vrv.
Me too. Sonsabitches! Guess I'll go back to Crunchyroll only.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:09:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mort] [#7]

View Quote
When Ains murders 70k soldiers to summon the conjoined black goat tentacle monsters that he uses to trample the rest of the enemy army.  Then Ains makes the knights of his "allies" applaud his good works.  The "allies" lose their shit shortly thereafter and flee.

Actually that episode also had Enry's goblin army apear and destroy the prince's army and then Louis Regina shows up with an assassin squad of red caps to murder the survivors.  Lupis Regina is my favorite sadist.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Mrs Nagatoro popped up on Crunchyroll. Just not my thing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:
Mrs Nagatoro popped up on Crunchyroll. Just not my thing.
View Quote

You mean you’re not a masochist who fantasizes about a cute anime girl treating you like shit but want to see a non-hentai version of it?
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 1:44:03 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

For me it’s a moment from One Piece (and I don’t care that nobody cares)

Enel is character who ate a pretty damn OP Devil fruit that essentially makes him personified lightning nobody can touch him and he can shock anyone  to death that opposes him, he sets himself up as a literal god on a Sky island and being so powerful that he isn’t actually tough at all because he never had to be …….. until a conveniently Rubber boy symbolically comes up to Heaven to kick a tyrannical gods ass

His face when he realized he was going to get his ass beat

Link Posted: 9/11/2021 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:

You obviously didn't finish it
View Quote

Why does reading this give me an ominous feeling
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DprvdDgnrt:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:

You obviously didn't finish it

I posit the theory that studios can always get money for another attempt to fix Eva.  I find the franchise mostly broken. But there is a rabbid fan base that wants to convert everyone to their religion of showering underage girls and hero worship of captain daddy issues who keeps refusing to get in the fucking robot. These fans are more focused on the ideal of the show than the actual content in my opinion.

A lot of old franchises seem to be getting funding for reboots but the choices seem random and annoying to me.  Maybe the annoying part is they don't pick something I liked. XD

Another franchise that seems to get money for spinoffs and remakes is Gundam, but they never resolve anything or advance the plot. They just seem to rehash the same themes repeatedly and leave them hanging. These are almost not worth watching because they only get 1 or 2 seasons or an ova, then the next project is a different spinoff or reboot.

Too bad no one ever wants to throw money at fixing / finishing another old franchise like the americanised Robotech. Robotech was better than most versions of macros but watching it as an adult, the Rick-Lisa-minmei love triangle story got annoying real quick.

Then there are cursed intellectual properties like battletech that are so mired in legal fights over the rights that no one can get a nickel to make a gif, but lawyers seem to make millions fighting over who owns what.  Too bad cause I'd love to see someone like Whedon make shows about the staples of the battletech novels like the Grey death legion fighting comstar or the Wolf's Dragoons fighting a grudge match against the Kurita Combine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Food Wars! The Fourth Plate - Opening (HD)
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mort:
Then there are cursed intellectual properties like battletech that are so mired in legal fights over the rights that no one can get a nickel to make a gif, but lawyers seem to make millions fighting over who owns what.  Too bad cause I'd love to see someone like Whedon make shows about the staples of the battletech novels like the Grey death legion fighting comstar or the Wolf's Dragoons fighting a grudge match against the Kurita Combine.
View Quote

I've been a battletech nerd for over 25 years. If Whedon got ahold of battletech IP I would smash every electronic device I own with a hammer just to avoid ever seeing the results.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#15]

You mean you’re not a masochist who fantasizes about a cute anime girl treating you like shit but want to see a non-hentai version of it?
View Quote

It just was pointless. I made it through two episodes. It's the guy whining, her talking in a taunting tone and then a bunch of apologizing
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#16]

I've been a battletech nerd for over 25 years. If Whedon got ahold of battletech IP I would smash every electronic device I own with a hammer just to avoid ever seeing the results.
View All Quotes

No worries for you then.  I suspect battletech / MechWarrior is one of the most contested IP out there.  

I would love to see a scene similar to the original Aliens where some badass infantry like the colonial Marines are defending an stronghold, kicking ass and forgetting names, when an enemy light mech lance shows up and completely destroys the base and everything in it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 1:32:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#17]

It just was pointless. I made it through two episodes. It's the guy whining, her talking in a taunting tone and then a bunch of apologizing
View All Quotes

Way back when the anime had been announced, I posted something about it being a story where if they closely followed the source material, most viewers would give up after the first episode or two, because she seems like pure evil during the first two or three chapters of the manga.

There were 10 or 12 chapters of the manga translated when I started reading it, and if I hadn't been able to binge through those chapters, I probably would have dropped it after the second or third chapter.  (ETA: Probably would have dropped it after the first chapter, if I hadn't already read some discussion about it.)  The early chapters were just too abusive to put it on the list of manga to wait for the next chapter to come out.  But things start changing after those first few chapters.

Both of them have problems, and unlike a certain student at a hero academy, the whiny guy in this story gradually quits whining.  The problems with her personality improve in stages, but you don't really get any substantial clues about what's at the root of her problems, until the story is past the point of the last episode of the anime.  If it gets another season, it'll probably end up being something where you say the first season is more about fixing the problems with his personality, and the second season (or maybe the second half of the second season?) is more about fixing the problems with her personality.

A clue to the psychology of what's going on:
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#18]
No worries for you then.  I suspect battletech / MechWarrior is one of the most contested IP out there.  

I would love to see a scene similar to the original Aliens where some badass infantry like the colonial Marines are defending an stronghold, kicking ass and forgetting names, when an enemy light mech lance shows up and completely destroys the base and everything in it.
View Quote

It's probably the single most contested set of IP out there.

I just know that with the way the world is going, the fastest track for all that shit to get settled once and for all would be for Netflix or Amazon (or Funimation, or whomstever) to spend whatever it takes to settle it for no other reason than to woke that shit up Dr. Who style.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#19]

It's probably the single most contested set of IP out there.

I just know that with the way the world is going, the fastest track for all that shit to get settled once and for all would be for Netflix or Amazon (or Funimation, or whomstever) to spend whatever it takes to settle it for no other reason than to woke that shit up Dr. Who style.
View Quote

I enjoyed Matt Smiths run but haven’t gone past that would you say it isn’t worth getting back into for anything after him?
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I posit the theory that studios can always get money for another attempt to fix Eva.  I find the franchise mostly broken. But there is a rabbid fan base that wants to convert everyone to their religion of showering underage girls and hero worship of captain daddy issues who keeps refusing to get in the fucking robot. These fans are more focused on the ideal of the show than the actual content in my opinion.

A lot of old franchises seem to be getting funding for reboots but the choices seem random and annoying to me.  Maybe the annoying part is they don't pick something I liked. XD

Another franchise that seems to get money for spinoffs and remakes is Gundam, but they never resolve anything or advance the plot. They just seem to rehash the same themes repeatedly and leave them hanging. These are almost not worth watching because they only get 1 or 2 seasons or an ova, then the next project is a different spinoff or reboot.

Too bad no one ever wants to throw money at fixing / finishing another old franchise like the americanised Robotech. Robotech was better than most versions of macros but watching it as an adult, the Rick-Lisa-minmei love triangle story got annoying real quick.

View Quote

Never seen most of those but Franx definitely reminded me of Eva a lot (obviously lol) especially since I had watched Eva almost right before it came out

Never seen a single episode of Gundam
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#22]

I enjoyed Matt Smiths run but haven’t gone past that would you say it isn’t worth getting back into for anything after him?
View Quote

Peter Capaldi was a great doctor, but he had to carry the show. The writing was absolute crap. It was like watching a master chef trying to do the best he can with ingredients straight from the dumpster behind a Macdonalds.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Peter Capaldi was a great doctor, but he had to carry the show. The writing was absolute crap. It was like watching a master chef trying to do the best he can with ingredients straight from the dumpster behind a Macdonalds.
View All Quotes

That's a good way of putting it, lol.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

I enjoyed Matt Smiths run but haven't gone past that would you say it isn't worth getting back into for anything after him?

Yeah Capaldi was a surprisingly good actor. I think mostly I'd only seen him previously as an extra on other brit shows, I think he was even an extra on dr who.  

He'd make a great villainous imperial officer in starwars.  ;-)
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Noted thanks buddy …. I think I’ll just leave DR who off where I left it maybe rewatch some one day
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Seiran:
I did lust for Clara. Capaldi was great, too.
View Quote

Clara looks exceptional ….. besides Donna every sidekick was pretty hot
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 3:13:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Clara looks exceptional .. besides Donna every sidekick was pretty hot
View Quote
The companions exist mostly as a narrative device so the doctor has someone to explain everything to.  The companions have been traditionally kind of dim /earnest as an exposition tool  or the companions are eye candy to draw in more viewers.  There are exceptions but there is a trend.

The very basis of the show is that the Dr is the smartest guy in the room and will solve any problem.  The writers job is to trick the audience in to thinking this time the Dr might not win.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:55:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#29]
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:03:16 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Don't know about favorite but I enjoyed this
You Hit Kobayashi... | Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 7:54:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RCaerbannog240] [#31]
The funniest though would probably be Gobta vs Gabiru.

https://c.tenor.com/XTpIYUfU2RIAAAAd/gobta-that-time-i-got-reincarnated-as-a-slime.gif
View Quote
To be fair, Gobta would've had to eat Shion's cooking if he'd have lost. That's a hell of a motivator.

View Quote
There's a new Gundam series?

But yeah... the source material is sometimes played out and sometimes the plots seem like they've been written by emo high school kids. The Origin and Thunderbolt series were pretty good though.

Never seen most of those but Franx definitely reminded me of Eva a lot (obviously lol) especially since I had watched Eva almost right before it came out

Never seen a single episode of Gundam
View Quote
There are some gems. 8th MS team, The Origin, Thunderbolt, and 0083 Stardust Memories are pretty good.

0083 had a bad ass intro song. Honestly, the 90's and early 00's were an amazing time for music in anime.

Shit I'm rambling.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#32]
@unforgiventoo

Noticed your avatar
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
@unforgiventoo

Noticed your avatar
View Quote

@LittlePony

Thanks, but it was just something I pilfered off the internet. Being this far behind the times, I haven't developed an appreciation for anime.

Maybe after another ten years or so.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't get it.

I finished Outlaw Star, and I don't get the attraction. People claim it's better than Cowboy Bebop, and I can't see how.

Animation quality/style is more crude.

Plot development is maybe even.

Character development is weaker.

And don't even get me started on soundtrack comparison.
Suzuka is kinda best girl.

Since finishing Outlaw Star, I have watched the first season of How Not to Summon a Demon Lord. It's not what I expected, in a good way.

Starting season two now, and enjoying it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 2:09:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mort] [#35]
Isn't outlaw star old enough to be nostalgic for ye olde anime fans? I think it came out around the same time as Bebop, late 90s-ish.

Gah now I've got Aisha clan clan's horrible broken voice stuck in my head.

Eta I can't believe someone went through the trouble of making this video.  WHICH IS YOUR FAVORITE AISHA CLAN CLAN VOICE?

Anime Voice Comparison- Aisha Clan-Clan (Outlaw Star)

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 2:44:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Ha, nostalgic for me is Speed Racer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#38]
I tried watching Gundam Wing again not too long ago. I couldn't do it. The dialogue in that anime is atrocious. I'm glad I watched it when I was a kid and enjoyed it then because attempting to watch it as an adult was cringey.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 5:30:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By RCaerbannog240:
To be fair, Gobta would've had to eat Shion's cooking if he'd have lost. That's a hell of a motivator.

There's a new Gundam series?

But yeah... the source material is sometimes played out and sometimes the plots seem like they've been written by emo high school kids. The Origin and Thunderbolt series were pretty good though.

There are some gems. 8th MS team, The Origin, Thunderbolt, and 0083 Stardust Memories are pretty good.

0083 had a bad ass intro song. Honestly, the 90's and early 00's were an amazing time for music in anime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP0U3irjIow

Shit I'm rambling.
View Quote

Word thanks for the list and yeah it was

I guess I’ve just never been to attracted to the Mecha genre I do need to seee more

Anyone here see Bokurano? I’ve been meaning to
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:19:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Cartoons
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:29:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RCaerbannog240] [#41]
Originally Posted By SC4eyes:
I don't get it.

I finished Outlaw Star, and I don't get the attraction. People claim it's better than Cowboy Bebop, and I can't see how.

Animation quality/style is more crude.

Plot development is maybe even.

Character development is weaker.

And don't even get me started on soundtrack comparison.
Suzuka is kinda best girl.

Since finishing Outlaw Star, I have watched the first season of How Not to Summon a Demon Lord. It's not what I expected, in a good way.

Starting season two now, and enjoying it.
View Quote
For it's time Outlaw Star was pretty revolutionary, especially when it hit the shores of the US. It was also released earlier a couple months earlier than Cowboy Bebop. Both are good series.

That said, Bebop did have Yoko Kanno doing the score for the show. That woman is/was prolific in the anime music community. She's like the Steven Spielberg of anime music. Anything that has a score composed by her is typically pretty friggin good. Her scores from Wolfs Rain and Ghost in the Shell series are amazing.

Haven't heard about her work in a while though.

Word thanks for the list and yeah it was

I guess I’ve just never been to attracted to the Mecha genre I do need to seee more

Anyone here see Bokurano? I’ve been meaning to
View Quote
Yep, and thanks for mentioning Bokurano. Never hurts to find out about mecha anime, I'll add it to the queue.

Originally Posted By TallLankey:
Cartoons
View Quote
This is Spacenoid territory Feddie scum, take your blasphemy elsewhere.

Freedom for Spacenoids! Sieg Zeon!

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TallLankey:
Cartoons
View Quote

TheYRe nOt cArToOnsss!!!!!  REEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I guess old news, but I just found out Shield Hero has been pushed back to spring 2022.
And now it's a collaboration with some Korean outfit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:47:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#44]
Originally Posted By JVD:
I guess old news, but I just found out Shield Hero has been pushed back to spring 2022.
View Quote

Aye. Was posted here a few times already.
If season 2 is anything like season one, it will be worth waiting for.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#45]
For it's time Outlaw Star was pretty revolutionary, especially when it hit the shores of the US. It was also released earlier a couple months earlier than Cowboy Bebop. Both are good series.

That said, Bebop did have Yoko Kanno doing the score for the show. That woman is/was prolific in the anime music community. She's like the Steven Spielberg of anime music. Anything that has a score composed by her is typically pretty friggin good. Her scores from Wolfs Rain and Ghost in the Shell series are amazing.

Haven't heard about her work in a while though.
Yep, and thanks for mentioning Bokurano. Never hurts to find out about mecha anime, I'll add it to the queue.

This is Spacenoid territory Feddie scum, take your blasphemy elsewhere.

Freedom for Spacenoids! Sieg Zeon!

View Quote

Avoid that Anime at all costs. Read the Manga instead.
The director of that anime completely hated the source material.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:20:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RCaerbannog240] [#46]

View Quote
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out the manga first. When you say the director hated the source material, does the story take an odd turn like The Promised Neverland Season 2? Cause I read the manga for Neverland, loved it, and was then disappointed by the second anime season.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:25:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DragoMuseveni] [#47]
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out the manga first. When you say the director hated the source material, does the story take an odd turn like the Promised Neverland Season 2? Cause I read the anime for it, loved it, and was then disappointed by the second season.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out the manga first. When you say the director hated the source material, does the story take an odd turn like the Promised Neverland Season 2? Cause I read the anime for it, loved it, and was then disappointed by the second season.
He changed the plot because he hated it and wanted to save characters.

Imagine if D&D changed The Red Wedding(Game of Thrones) so no one died.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:21:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#48]
[     ]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:23:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#49]
[     ]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:29:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RCaerbannog240] [#50]
He changed the plot because he hated it and wanted to save characters.

Imagine if D&D changed The Red Wedding(Game of Thrones) so no one died.
View Quote
Well that sounds lame. Guess I'm reading the manga.
Originally Posted By Darkstar117:

It's like Eva, but without all the happy parts.
View Quote
Eva has happy parts?

Jk

I need to watch Evangalion, only saw the first 2-3 episodes, a youtube deep dive explanation, and the film they recently released. Never got into it, and at the time none of the other films had come out. I hear tang is the drink of choice when watching the series though.  
Page / 764
Who watches Anime? (Page 453 of 764)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top