Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw van hagar for the 5150 tour.  It was loud as hell and clear as a bell.  Good show.  Probably about 1986.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Howard Jones.  Wife drug me there.  Guy was great and super clean sound

Peter Wolfe from J Geils. Free show. Guy put it all out there and blew the roof off

Joan Jett 8 years ago.  A lot heavier than expected.

Howard Jones was the biggest surprise though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw The Who about 20 years ago. They deliver anyway but what really impressed me was the drummer, Ringo Stars boy Zak Starkey, that guy beat the fuck out of those drums for two hours solid. It was mesmerizing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Danny Thomas

Most probably don't know who he is and no I'm not a boomer. I was in Atlantic City some years back and the boss had bought everyone tickets to his show.
I grew up seeing acts like The Who, Clash, Aerosmith etc.

I thought it was going to be a snooze fest. Danny basically opened up with a monologue of jokes and then sang some songs. I was mistaken, they guy was a class act.
View Quote

Danny Thomas is a native Toledoan. He is highly regarded here. It’s a shame the park by the river named after him ended up ghetto as hell

Kid Rock started in Detroit but he used to play a small club in east Toledo called Frankie’s. He regularly blew everyone away and the buzz in town after his shows was crazy. No one was surprised he did well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band.  I got tickets given to me through work, and I was blown away by the show.  Tons of energy, and dang, they sounded as good as their albums!
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Chevelle they sounded like their album live.
Shinedown another awesome performance.
View Quote

Saw Chevelle when they were a middle act for Breaking Benjamin. I've always liked Chevelle, but they absolutely stole the show that night. Very good live.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Pinkert & Bowden.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw Jason Aldene at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. I’m just getting back into country music and knew of a few of his songs.

It wasn’t necessarily Aldene that I was impressed with, but his band. Absolute pros and entertainers at every instrument. It was more like a rock concert than anything else.

2 very talented lead guitarists, a steel guitar player with a Mohawk that would have picked the thing up if he could have, and a drummer who clearly loved what he did. Bass guitarist wasn’t featured as much, but just as tight and involved.

I’m looking for another opportunity to go see them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Wynonna Judd. Forced by my wife. Low expectations. Fantastic show. Incredible performer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rush
Power Windows tour
View Quote

Rush

every tour,
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Alan Jackson a few months ago.

He has a debilitating condition, had a very hard time walking (had an assistant a lot of the time), had a brace on stage for him to lean against…and still put on a helluva concert.
View Quote

Saw him at the good luck rodeo in DFW before he hit.  Knew he was going to make it big.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
the Black Keys - phenomenal performance that sounded exactly like the recorded tracks, except bigger and more intense if that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Blackberry Smoke is outstanding live.

Also, lead singer Charlie Starr and Benji Shanks occasionally perform acoustic shows together during the winter months and those shows are excellent as well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Tool
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Odd how a lot of the answers are similar to answers in the negative thread. VH 5150 tour made me hate Van Halen
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Rev. Horton Heat.

10 band show and they stole it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Lindsey Stirling

Her music suffers just a little bit; but that's now you know she's doing it live while she's swinging upside down on a hula-hoop suspended in midair.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Slayer shirts are a bit of an IQ indicator.

There's a strong contingency of nerds in the metal community, and I think there always has been.  The high school quarterback is never wearing a metal shirt.  Any of the kids that were into metal for any amount of substance didn't like Slayer.

I've seen Slayer  they're terrible.  Their albums are almost as bad.  Their fans are troglodytes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLfvDG3B79s
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really like seeing WASP in 1987.  But then that's probably because their warmup band, Slayer, sucked so much it made them look good.

Slayer shirts are a bit of an IQ indicator.

There's a strong contingency of nerds in the metal community, and I think there always has been.  The high school quarterback is never wearing a metal shirt.  Any of the kids that were into metal for any amount of substance didn't like Slayer.

I've seen Slayer  they're terrible.  Their albums are almost as bad.  Their fans are troglodytes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLfvDG3B79s

?? get fucked.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Of Monsters ans Men. I was kinda meh on the band but took my daughters to see them. They were better live than on the radio, awesome show.

I'll give the runner up spot to Guns and Roses. Wife dragged me to their reunion tour, I had zero interest but played the supportive husband. I gotta say they rocked, especially for a bunch of guys pushing 60. Sounded awesome, even the vocals, and played for 2+ hours. Axel was a little chubby, but he was still hitting those high notes.
View Quote

We’re going to see GnR later this year.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#22]
A couple

Devo believe it or not. I got dragged there, and they were amazing. Can't remember who the guitarist was, but he soloed, walked to the front of the stage, and took a couple short steps out onto hands held up, fell backwards onto the stage. Shit fell off the guitar, and he continued soloing. Was amazing.

I remember seeing Queensryche opening for someone (Bon Jovi maybe), way before they hit it big. I remember my wife and I saying how well the lead singer could sing.

Elvis Costello. Total professional every single time.

Scorpions. Same thing, almost note for note from the albums, lots of energy, and totally professional every time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
More seriously, we saw Tony Bennett live.

I always respected him.

He put on a phenomenal show!  I was blown away.

View Quote

My grandfathers cousin. Never met him, but enjoy his music.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always respected him.

That is too cool.

Older women were behaving like teenagers seeing him. His band was perfect. He is a true showman.

Everybody there left the show happy. Some women were crying.

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Elton John, Coldplay, & Aaron Lewis put on fantastic shoes that made me appreciate them in a new way
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That is too cool.

Older women were behaving like teenagers seeing him. His band was perfect. He is a true showman.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always respected him.

That is too cool.

We wanted to see him, but he's got dementia and I think he's pretty much done.  (my grandfather had Alzheimers)

It's funny, my grandfather had the exact same nose as him lol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We wanted to see him, but he's got dementia and I think he's pretty much done.  (my grandfather had Alzheimers)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always respected him.

That is too cool.

I am glad that I had the opportunity to see him.

It was one of the best shows I have attended.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Weird Al - The Strings Attached Tour 2019
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Moody Blues.

Yes.

Charlie Daniels.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Pink Floyd.

Alice Cooper.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Foreigner probably about 8 years ago in Fort Pierce Florida at the Sunrise Theater, small venue, amazing sound and amazing energy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Tool

i saw them early on and they definitely got on my radar.  incredibly unique sound.

specifically this show 1993 in hawaii

TOOL Big Mele 1993 Kualoa Ranch Hawaii Layne Staley
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tool

i saw them early on and they definitely got on my radar.  incredibly unique sound.

specifically this show 1993 in hawaii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=186iaAqDPtM
View Quote

Finally got to see tool last year. Maybe 11 rows back. I wish Maynard didn’t keep quite so withdrawn but that show is the new standard.

Roger waters aside the trump hysterics is up there in that list with Metallica too. I didn’t get to see my favorite bands in their prime but they still wowed me.

(Nickel creek is up in the top 5 with Dillinger Escape Plan on their farewell tour. Those dudes lost their minds for an hour and a half and never skipped a beat)
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I was given a pair of tickets to see Zebra at Seattle's Paramount Theatre, local radio stationed billed it as a rising star show, w/a special local guest.  The show started with the local band, some guys from Bellevue calling themselves Queensryche......was not expecting that, Zebra was great.....but you could see which band was going to go far.  that was Queensryches debut gig.

John Mellencamp.....one of my sisters had he tickets and her friend had backed out, so I went.....He put on one of the best shows I've ever seen, played for nearly 3 hours, and when the lights went on and folks were leaving, Mellencamp just sat on the edge of the stage talking with people in the audience.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Ex wife ( at the time current wife ) got free tickets to see Anne Murray that included free dinner in a VIP box at the Fox Theater in Detroit. It was actually very good , she’d had a lot of hits over the years and didn’t take herself seriously and told jokes about her grandson remarking on how OLD her fans were. It was like an evening with an old friend even though I’d never have considered myself a fan.
 She seemed like a very nice lady.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Marc Anthony, the man can damn sing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Saw Chevelle when they were a middle act for Breaking Benjamin. I've always liked Chevelle, but they absolutely stole the show that night. Very good live.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chevelle they sounded like their album live.
Shinedown another awesome performance.

Chevelle and Breaking Benjamin are two of my favorite bands ever. GD they are awesome live for a low budget concert.

BB was the most fan-appreciative band I've ever seen. I listen to both of then on a daily basis and have since high school.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Chevelle and Breaking Benjamin are two of my favorite bands ever. GD they are awesome live for a low budget concert.

BB was the most fan-appreciative band I've ever seen. I listen to both of then on a daily basis and have since high school.
View Quote

I need to see them both live. I was into much heavier stuff in my youth but damn are Chevelle and BB good freaking bands.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Pretenders, Paramount Theatre, Portland Or, 10/22/1981.

I was a Pretenders fan, but I had no expectation that they would put on such a rockin' live show.

Seeing Chrissie Hind play rock guitar made me understand a bit how groupie girls could get so turned on by band musicians.

Being in the spotlight making a lot of noise makes you prettier.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#39]
You will all think I'm nuts but Mac Davis.  They same guy who was in the movie North Dallas Forty.  I had to be begged to go and provided a free ticket but it was one of the best concerts have ever seen.  He was a one man show, told jokes and sang songs.  He even sang songs that had jokes in them. I was totally impressed.  

Bonnie Raitt was also excellent, saw her at a riverside bar.

As far as a group goes, Bachman Turner Overdrive was the best.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#40]
At this moment in time “I Prevail”

As they are rocking it right now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Billy Joel.  Dude is seriously talented.

Most concerts I've seen either disappointed or met expectations.  Very few have exceeded.  His was one of those.
View Quote

My wife and daughter got me tickets before my last deployment in 2018.

Couldn't agree more.  Awesome musician.  Band kicked ass, Billy still has chops, and the crowd energy was fantastic.

Only wish we'd been picked from the nosebleed seats to sit front row!
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#42]
The main show in the past was Guns n Roses

When appetite came out I hated it.

Then I saw them open for Whitesnake (88?)

They and Slash blew me away.

I have been a huge fan ever since
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Weird Al.
Was at Milwaukee Summerfest with the teenage kids, looking for something to keep them entertained.
Came upon him on a stage.

The entire family loved it.
They still talk about seeing him years later.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:21:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Robert Randolph and the Family Band

They opened for Eric Clapton and stole the show

Also… Pantera
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#45]
JAMEY JOHNSON. amazing live show!
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Zac Brown Band
Styx
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Any of them that didn’t make political comments during their show, I fucking hate activists.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Tom Petty. Played for a long time. Did all his best/our favorite songs and sounded really good doing it. We got to see him the same year he passed.
View Quote

I hate to say it, but out of a 25 year span of seeing live music Tom Petty was the worst show I saw. Maybe he was just wasted on oxycontin.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Joan Osborne with The Dead. I know every deadhead considers this heresy, but she knocked it out of the park at Red Rocks and I followed her to the Gorge for more.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In response to the “whose live show disappointed you” thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Whose-Live-Show-Was-So-Disappointing-Your-Interest-Was-Never-the-Same-Again-/5-2642925/

I want to know whose live show made you like or respect the artist or band more?  

The answer for me is Michael Bublé

I never had much of a strong opinion of the dude one way or another, thought the stuff I heard on the radio was alright, but not amazing.

I then one day was randomly offered tickets to go see him live and figured “eh, why not”.

That dude put on a GREAT concert. His touring band was talented and sounded great, Bublè is very good singer, and hearing the performance live you know it’s all him. There is no studio magic. He also is great with crowd  work and keeping folks engaged.  Not to mention lots of attractive ladies at the show.

I was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed the show and after that actually dug into his musical catalog a bit and enjoy his music more.

Ended up actually buying tickets to see him a couple years later.

View Quote

Any "real artist" will be amazing live.

Studio clowns will suck.

Seen several of both.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top