Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I'm an atheist and he still disgusts me with his false witness, just like all televangelist hucksters.

View Quote

Quoted:
He's a false witness.
View Quote

What does that mean in a religious context? I know it basically means lying but you both chose that phrase so it makes me wonder exactly what you mean by it.

I’m not religious or a JO supporter. It’s a genuine question.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't care about his money, he's a false teacher. That's why.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't hate him. I watch in open mouthed amazement that someone that odd can have thousands, maybe millions of gullible people sending him money.

If anything, it's player hate. His pimp hand is STRONG.

Also he looks like a cartoon.
View Quote

I worked security for another major televangelist for a few years. He brought in over $250k a day.

I still have the safe codes somewhere
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Helluva smart dude. Meh.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He goes jogging with his dick root out.
View Quote

That's Carl Lentz. Different creepy dude.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Hate? No, I wouldn't say that. He is a false teacher and therefore he's leading people away from Christ. He needs to know the true and living Jesus and not the one he's created in his mind for prosperity's sake.
Then stop preaching and spend the rest of his life explaining and describing his new birth in Jesus and confess that he squandered any qualification to teach and preach. Then we would see a repented, changed heart, the kind of change only Jesus can perform to a man's heart.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yep.  And he went to prison for it if I'm remembering correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was some member here that was a preacher in Florida IIRC.  He said he was friends with JO and posted some photos of them together.  The thread was very creepy.

Was that the same guy who was really, really into supervising and mentoring the young teenage girls?

http://www.sheriff-okaloosa.org/wp-content/pdfs/newsreleases/2014/Nov.%2014%20-%20Church%20Chaplain%20Charged%20with%20Lewd%20and%20Lascivious%20Battery.pdf
Yep.  And he went to prison for it if I'm remembering correctly.

Yup.

https://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20170825/ex-pastor-sentenced-to-30-years-for-sex-offenses-involving-teen

And at least one other member learned his wife had dealings with him.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/The_arfcomer_that_was_arrested_for_child_molestation____Larry_Michael_Thorne/5-1889579/?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Gospel flavored cult of personality is still a cult of personality.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Creepiest motherfucker on Earth. Like he makes the Taran Tactical guy look like Ryan Gosling.

I wish I had his charisma though. Dupes eating out of the palm of his manicured hand. Lambs to the slaughter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Creepiest motherfucker on Earth. Like he makes the Taran Tactical guy look like Ryan Gosling.

I wish I had his charisma though. Dupes eating out of the palm of his manicured hand. Lambs to the slaughter.

Quoted:

Yup. I dated a woman who just went all in for JO. She was a certified slut and he made her feel better about herself. Her self-esteem was 0. JO preys on people like that.

Did she show him the precious?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I never understood him to be a health and wealth prosperity preacher.
Always thought he was pretty decent motivational speaker though.
I don't see how anyone could recognize him as a religious authority.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He's not "bringing people to Jesus," he's bringing them to him. This mindset is a very dangerous one to have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know a lot about him but if he's bringing people to Jesus I can't complain too much.

His reasons for doing it are between him and God.
He's not "bringing people to Jesus," he's bringing them to him. This mindset is a very dangerous one to have.

I know some who listen & watch him.  I've seen several segments of his services, I'll admit I don't remember ever seeing a
full service of his.  

I don't think I've ever heard him "preaching" about "bringing people to Jesus" or salvation.

As mentioned previously, he sounds like a motivational speaker.  He speaks on how you can feel good about yourself, & be positive.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What does that mean in a religious context? I know it basically means lying but you both chose that phrase so it makes me wonder exactly what you mean by it.

I'm not religious or a JO supporter. It's a genuine question.
View Quote
It means he tells a false gospel, i.e. he doesn't speak the true good news of Jesus Christ. There's a lot of valid criticism for him and I am not a fan, but at the same time many of JO's detractors have made it a business of their own to attack the guy, and they live in their own mansions.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He goes jogging with his dick root out.

You sir are correct.  I will have to retract my dick root claims.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Op, for someone that doesn't know a thing about him, you sure have a strong opinion about him.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I know some who listen & watch him.  I've seen several segments of his services, I'll admit I don't remember ever seeing a
full service of his.  

I don't think I've ever heard him "preaching" about "bringing people to Jesus" or salvation.

As mentioned previously, he sounds like a motivational speaker.  He speaks on how you can feel good about yourself, & be positive.
View Quote

I'm going to have to do more research, but if he's a health, wealth, and prosperity guy he's gonna have to fuck off.
I don't mind encouraging people but don't knowingly lie to them and steal from them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#16]
There's no condemnation out of his mouth.  Sin is a problem in this world but you'd never know it from listening to him.  It'll take you straight to hell if you don't repent from it and ask for forgiveness, and that's what I want him, or any other preacher, to use the pulpit for.  Nope, he won't do it.  Too much of a financial risk.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
-snip-
5. How on earth can anyone think he's skimming from his church when he has a perfectly lucrative side business and probably views his church as a loss leader to sell his books and speaking engagements? This is different from Jim and Tammy Baker. They actually did take money directly from the plate.

-snip-

View Quote

There it is. False prophet leading people directly to Hell so he can be a successful business man profiting off of religion.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Joel Osteen to return $4.4M pandemic loan.
https://nypost.com/2021/10/10/joel-osteens-lakewood-church-to-repay-4-4m-in-ppp-loans/

So a few things about Osteen.

1. Returning a loan isn't really doing much since you were supposed to pay it back in the first place. (that's why it's called a loan.) But the media is reading this as some sort of admission of wrongdoing.

2. Small thinkers like to point out separation of church and state but the PPP loans were for organizations who employ people regardless of their mission. He employee 350 people at his church. (I bet some of them aren't even Christians. Just really good at organizing events.) The loans were granted to support employees, not to set up a national religion.

3. He doesn't take a salary from his church for his religious activities. Folks wonder how he can be worth $50, well, he sold 100 million copies of one of his books and he has 13 other best sellers. He gets paid 100-200k per speaking engagement and can easily do three a day because of his private jet. Why on earth shouldn't he be worth that much? And his jet is nice, I'm sure, but there is a good business purpose for it. If it costs 10k a day to fly and he can eek out 3 instead of 2 speaking engagements over flying coach, then it's paid for itself.

4. During the floods they had that goofy notion that he's supposed to turn his church into a hotel. It holds 16,800 spectators. As if it's stocked with bedding, food, and toiletries for people to sleep there. They just have concrete floors and uncomfortable stadium seats. I believe they tried this with the New Orleans Superdome during Katrina with terrible results. Yeah I wouldn't want to do that to my church either. If he had opened his church up to people the media would be all over about how it isn't a shelter and the terrible conditions. He made the right choice.

5. How on earth can anyone think he's skimming from his church when he has a perfectly lucrative side business and probably views his church as a loss leader to sell his books and speaking engagements? This is different from Jim and Tammy Baker. They actually did take money directly from the plate.

6. And there are lots of motivational speakers who refer to God and religion as a base for what they do. Is he just suffering from McDonald's syndrome where he happens to be the biggest target?

No I'm not a follower. Never read his book, never attended his events. I don't even know what he sounds like. Just tired of media BS and think he hasn't gotten a fair deal.

View Quote

He’s just another form of an Amway charlatan…
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#19]
It all depends on your view of Christianity.  If you believe that good Christians will be:
A) Rewarded with lots of wealth, Joel Osteen is your man!
B) Nailed to a cross and murdered, Joel Osteen is NOT your man!
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you are a Bible-believing Christian, you know that Osteen is leading people to Hell.

Ready proof: Osteen published a book called Your Best Life Now. If you believe the Bible, you know that there is someone who wants this to be your best life, and it ain't God.

View Quote

Is it wrong to want people to be successful, to show them to change their negativity? I do believe God wants us to live our best life now. When you're down and out, it's hard to bring anything to the world.

Then again, the metaphysical God as the Universe speaks to me more than anything in the Old Testament.

People really like to hear good news and positive things. That's all he's selling, no different than Norman Vincent Peale, also a minister.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#21]
nvm
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#22]
"Self-help" people are frauds. All of them.

Rich preachers are also frauds. All of them.

Osteen is both.

I personally don't give a shit about the PPP loans or any of the other ragebait stuff.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#23]
That sumbich shore does have him some purdy hair. He talks kinda funny too.

I kinda wonder if he ain’t just a little bit odd, if you get my drift.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#24]
If it was just self-help and motivation - he'd be in the clear.
If it was just a church with Bible quotes and Sunday study - he'd be in the clear.

His self-help and motivation by slapping Jesus on it is false witness and blasphemy, and I'm non-religious.  He literally goes against what is in the Bible.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
People hate him because he's made a fortune from his "evangelism" work.  

His home.  
https://investormint.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/joel-osteen-mansion.png
View Quote

All that money on a house and couldn’t afford to run the power underground?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Is Jesus was here today, he would be a millionaire preacher.  Right?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#27]
There was another thread on him not to long ago:

Joel
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Prosperity theology is not the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  It is the gospel of Joel Osteen.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't dislike him or really know a great deal about him, but he's got the crazy eyes..
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Came for the memes:

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#31]
He's a liar. He tells people lies, because they'll pay well to hear them.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Con man with a Huge Flock of Sheep
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I listen to him on Sirius XM frequently. I didn't grow up going to church, but now consider myself a Christian. Not just because of him, other things have influenced that.

Have any of the bashers actually listened to him?

Just because he doesn't condemn people with fire and brimstone means he's got it all wrong?

His philosophy is that people mostly already know what they're doing wrong, and that's better to forgive, and lead them in the correct direction gently, vs. clubbing them over the head with damnation. He does say we need to repent, frequently actually.

If he leads tens of thousands of people to believe in Christ, will Christ reject them because they chose the wrong guide?

When Jesus walked the earth, the religious leaders complained He was doing it all wrong too.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Joel Osteen to return $4.4M pandemic loan.
https://nypost.com/2021/10/10/joel-osteens-lakewood-church-to-repay-4-4m-in-ppp-loans/

So a few things about Osteen.

1. Returning a loan isn't really doing much since you were supposed to pay it back in the first place. (that's why it's called a loan.) But the media is reading this as some sort of admission of wrongdoing.

2. Small thinkers like to point out separation of church and state but the PPP loans were for organizations who employ people regardless of their mission. He employee 350 people at his church. (I bet some of them aren't even Christians. Just really good at organizing events.) The loans were granted to support employees, not to set up a national religion.

3. He doesn't take a salary from his church for his religious activities. Folks wonder how he can be worth $50, well, he sold 100 million copies of one of his books and he has 13 other best sellers. He gets paid 100-200k per speaking engagement and can easily do three a day because of his private jet. Why on earth shouldn't he be worth that much? And his jet is nice, I'm sure, but there is a good business purpose for it. If it costs 10k a day to fly and he can eek out 3 instead of 2 speaking engagements over flying coach, then it's paid for itself.

4. During the floods they had that goofy notion that he's supposed to turn his church into a hotel. It holds 16,800 spectators. As if it's stocked with bedding, food, and toiletries for people to sleep there. They just have concrete floors and uncomfortable stadium seats. I believe they tried this with the New Orleans Superdome during Katrina with terrible results. Yeah I wouldn't want to do that to my church either. If he had opened his church up to people the media would be all over about how it isn't a shelter and the terrible conditions. He made the right choice.

6. And there are lots of motivational speakers who refer to God and religion as a base for what they do. Is he just suffering from McDonald's syndrome where he happens to be the biggest target?

No I'm not a follower. Never read his book, never attended his events. I don't even know what he sounds like. Just tired of media BS and think he hasn't gotten a fair deal.

View Quote
Besides the usual pile on by people who are anti-anything-with the name Christ in it (just a given here in the states) ... well, osteen does suffer from the very minor malady of leading people right to hell. Minor stuff. Also, word of faith (which isn't biblical and isn't christian) does wonderful stuff, like tell you your kids died because you didn't have enough faith. Teaching people they are little gods and that they have power over creation by use of their words and the like (= word of faith teachings) is not good. It's destructive.

Stuff like this:
False Teachers By Shai Linne

Is true.

They have nothing for people who are having to go *through* suffering.

If you want/need some bones to go with the red meat: https://www.monergism.com/topics/bad-theology/word-faith

https://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?seriesOnly=true&currSection=sermonstopic&sourceid=gracenevada&keyword=The+Prosperity+Gospel&keyworddesc=The+Prosperity+Gospel
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I think most folks hate him out of jealousy! They say it’s not fair he makes millions and they don’t.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I’m a Christian and know nothing about the guy other than what I see in GD.
Not one of the pastors I follow.
Hopefully he’s spreading the Word.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I don’t really have an opinion of him, but this always makes me laugh:

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There was some member here that was a preacher in Florida IIRC.  He said he was friends with JO and posted some photos of them together.  The thread was very creepy.
View Quote

Naked-Gunman.
Several creepy threads.
He gave a female member an AR15 that was engraved...more creepy stuff.

I agree with most of the negative opinions of Osteen.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't hate him,  I just think he's a phony SOB.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#41]
OP. Hello. Sincere questions...

1. You obviously "follow" him right?

2. How much have you donated?

3. What "reasons/issues" encouraged you to follow him?

4. Lastly why did you feel a need to defend him here?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Shepherd is the greatest analogy ever.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I’m a Christian and know nothing about the guy other than what I see in GD.
Not one of the pastors I follow.
Hopefully he’s spreading the Word.
View Quote

he's not.

Word of faith is a different religion all unto itself, it just happens to be a wolf that disguises itself as 'christian.'
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Someone post the video of him saying there are many ways to heaven during an interview.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#45]
It amazes me that Christians tolerate people like him.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
He's a liar. He tells people lies, because they'll pay well to hear them.

View Quote

Black Sabbath - TV Crimes (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It amazes me that Christians tolerate people like him.
View Quote

We don't.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#48]
If you like fluffy feel good religion
He is your man
Chuckling
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice work GD.

First 3 posts nailed  it 100%

Eta:  OP read your Bible and you will understand.  False teacher....
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#50]
His squinty eyes make me think he can't be trusted
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top