Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

No, it's the headquarters for air mobility command.
View Quote
You are near a great big base with a metric load of staff officers which typically starts at major hence your clientele.  And you have the US Transportation Command, the Army's Surface Deployment and Distribution Command as well...  Tons and tons of staff weenies...
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

WO too Vietnam saw some SP5 flying as well IIRC
View Quote
No SP5 flew in vietnam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H._Holmes

"In 1946 he was one of only 55 remaining enlisted pilots in the Army. When the US Air Force was created as a separate entity in 1947 he was one of only two remaining enlisted pilots. Master Sergeant Tom Rafferty was the other one until he died in a plane crash in 1949. Holmes continued to fly until he retired in May, 1957
"
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wrong.

They'll throw captain/major at a doctor as an incentive for them to enter the military.

And the commissioning training is like two or three weeks.

My brother just came in, being an emergency medicine doctor they gave him major.

And I didn't even mention the huge bonuses they give doctors too.
View Quote
Wrong.  

The rank is commiserate to the time in training and practice.  

New M.D.'s start out as O-3 because they come with a doctorate and 4 more years of education (at least) than other officers who have just an undergraduate.

A fellowship trained and board certified MD can command a higher rank starting based on their time of education and experience.  A board certified ER doctor comes with 7-8 years more education than a kid with a bachelors, hence Major/LCDR.

If you look at typical time in grade for promotion: O-2 at 2 years, 0-3 and 4 years, O-4 at 8-10 years, you'll see that it actually matches up rather nicely with the M.D. scale.

The "huge bonuses" aren't that "huge" and vary year to year on what they need at the time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't help but think the people in this thread who seem passionately irate about pilots being officers couldn't hack it in college/OTS and/or enlisted thinking they were going to be handed the keys to an F22 as soon as they finished basic. 

Here's the truth about higher education, it doesn't automatically make you smarter, but it does a pretty good preliminary sweep of weeding out people who lack motivation and intelligence. Taxpayers seem to prefer those with certain easily verifiable credentials to fly their multi-million dollar machines and drop the bombs. Sorry, life's not fair.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can't be much worse than 2LTs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would you give a Marine Lance Corporal an aircraft?
Nuggets (USMC 2LT and Navy Ensigns) aren't pilots yet. They are still in flight training.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]
My uncle went to Canada before the U.S. entered the war. He flew Beaufighters in England

Attachment Attached File

After Pearl Harbor most if not all US citizens were transferred to US units. He was sent to the 8th Air Force and flew B-24's.

Here he is in USAAF uniform, the left photo shows his wings he earned with the RAF/ RCAF.

Attachment Attached File

Edit to add; with the RAF he was a Sergeant Pilot.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My uncle went to Canada before the U.S. entered the war. He flew Beaufighters in England

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175733/IMG-6440-268146.JPG

After Pearl Harbor most if not all US citizens were transferred to US units. He was sent to the 8th Air Force and flew B-24's.

Here he is in USAAF uniform, the left photo shows his wings he earned with the RAF/ RCAF.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175733/IMG-6439-268159.JPG
View Quote
I love seeing photos like that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They trust them to take them apart and put it back together again... and they also trust them to be the crew chief on some birds (IE they're in charge, the pilot is just a driver).
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
wasn't that as a non duty observer?
(JS was my childhood hero)
View Quote
I don't think generals fly warbirds.  Once you get stars you fly a desk.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see a lot of majors and even colonels. What's the reason for this? What's the highest rank the Usaaf or usaf sends into combat?
View Quote

The USAF sends pilots into combat? When did that start?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I get that, but it seems like a lot of them are over LT and in the major/col range
View Quote
That's mostly because while they're LT's, they're mostly training and building up time in their current rank. If they are squared away rank happens, inevitably.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Junior enlisted butthurt thread.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
You mean like make airplane noises while feeding them or a real airplane to a LC

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Direct commission vs ROTC.  Mrs 18B30 is a direct commission O-4 like your brother.  BOLC is 4 weeks at FT. Sam.  Bonus is 25K per year for reservist/NG with some specialties getting a higher bonus.  Thank you brother for his willingness to lose 60K per year,  most MD's would never make that sacrifice.
View Quote
By the time you figure in civilian malpractice insurance and office overhead and the .mil bonuses for a doctor you'd be shocked at the tiny difference in pay.  Doctor my RN wife worked with was a surgeon that did his residency as a Navy Officer and his eight year commitment also in the Navy he was 15 years in or so and made a career of it.  He lamented that he now as a civilian Doctor he had to buy his own ink pens.  He claimed that with no student loans and no malpractice insurance he was paid better than a civilian classmate.  Once his bonuses kicked in after his commitment was satisfied he was making as much from the bonus as he was in pay.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I was on a USMC C12 flight recently with a Major as pilot and a Colonel as co-pilot.

The return flight was a US Army C12 with a couple of Warrant Officers flying.

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#17]
One of my good friends I graduated high school with flew cool stuff.   Graduated in the top 10 of our class.   Played football and baseball with the guy.    Went to the Air Force Academy.   Went on to fly the C-5, F117, and TR1.   Retired as a full bird Colonel.

Hell of nice guy and obviously pretty bright.   I think his plans were to stay in a bit longer, as he wanted a star, but sitting at a red light, some asshole slammed into the back of his car, messing up his back.  He lost his flying status over that.  

Need to catch up with him, and see how he's enjoying retirement.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

only dumbasses that know nothing say this. They think its somekind of skull and bones cladestine cult that controls the AF

actually nobody gives a fuck, and most people don't know if your a academy/ocs/rotc unless they ask/or you tell them.
View Quote
I had one retired LtCol wbo got his commission from ROTC or OTS call our parachutist badge our "frat badge".

for example:

she is most likely a USAFA grad.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They trust them to take them apart and put it back together again... and they also trust them to be the crew chief on some birds (IE they're in charge, the pilot is just a driver).
View Quote
They play an important role, but they are not in charge of the aircraft.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They play an important role, but they are not in charge of the aircraft.
View Quote
No kidding.  I'm not in charge of the jet once the dash one preflight starts.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My dad was a Major General when we invaded Grenada.  He was on a combat mission. First general officer on the island, too.
View Quote
Sounds like hard footsteps to follow.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#22]
And yet many of them will hit Maj, LtCol, and even Col without having commanded any more people than a small Boy Scout troop in retirement.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Zoomie pilots I've BS'd with are Majors
Luke AFB, F-16 guys

Young guys, or at least compared to what I see in the mirror
View Quote
When field grade officers start to look young, you are getting old.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
But an E-6 can run an M109 with a crew of 6.
View Quote
An E7 can run an LCAC with a crew of 5 with the capability to carry 75 tons of equipment.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#25]
She's fucking hawt!  
She smart too!

Colonel Themely received her commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 1995 where she was a Distinguished Graduate.  
Following pilot training at Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma, she transitioned to the F-15C.
She was a Chief of Staff of the Air Force Fellow, with duties on the Joint Staff as Chief of the Analysis Branch in J8, Program and Budget Analysis Division (PBAD), Pentagon, Washington, D.C.  

Colonel Themely is a Command Pilot with over 3,200 total hours in the F-15C/D, T-38A/C, and T-6A, including 1,400 instructor hours and 169 combat hours.

EDUCATION:
1995 - Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
2001 - Squadron Officer School
2002 - Master of Science, Aviation Management, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL
2007 - Master of Science, Strategic Intelligence, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington D.C.
2015 - Master of Science, National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
2015 - National and International Security Studies, Harvard Kennedy School, Boston, MA
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#26]
With a few rare exceptions Naval Aviators start out as Ensigns. So there would probably be more of them than senior officers. As you go up in rank people fall away. Some leave for civilian aviation careers after they fulfill their obligation. Some don't make their promotions and separate. Some can't pass their flight physicals anymore. Some retire as soon as they are eligible. I have to believe that there are a lot more LtJGs flying than Captains.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#27]
going into the danger zone = faster promotion
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:32:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We actually winced when the O-6 wanted to fly. It's because at those levels, they spend much more time doing admin than actually flying and skills deteriorate if you don't keep them up.
View Quote
NavyDoc is correct
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:35:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Those dudes are the furthest thing from pilots.  The RQ-4 doesn't have a single aircraft control.  Might as well call the satellite operators "pilots" too.
View Quote
Only on page 1, but are we talking about letting enlisted dudes fly Reapers now?  I have all the answers you seek...
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:37:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Only on page 1, but are we talking about letting enlisted dudes fly Reapers now?  I have all the answers you seek...
View Quote

Not that I've ever seen, other than misplaced speculation a year or more ago.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fuck no.

It's because it's their flying club... er Air Force...

You can't be a commander without being a zipper suited sun god.

It's pretty fucking stupid considering the shithouse leaders a large majority of aircrew are, but like I said, it's their Air Force.
View Quote
Awwww, so cute
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:41:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ain't that the truth
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not that I've ever seen, other than misplaced speculation a year or more ago.
View Quote
I fly Reapers everyday. 99.9% of the sensor operators see the movement to allow them to start flying in the pilot seat exactly for what it is: the AF looking for a quick way to unfuck their epic personnel mismanagement. They say, "pay me the same for more responsibility? Fuck no. Gimme that sweet contacting job doing the same shit for 4x the cash. Adios AF."
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:48:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I fly Reapers everyday. 99.9% of the sensor operators see the movement to allow them to start flying in the pilot seat exactly for what it is: the AF looking for a quick way to unfuck their epic personnel mismanagement. They say, "pay me the same for more responsibility? Fuck no. Gimme that sweet contacting job doing the same shit for 4x the cash. Adios AF."
View Quote

Well it lets the academy grads get back to what they signed up for, working on their ATP in the good ol boys flying club.  RPAs have never been a popular assignment, but you know that better than I do.  I know there are guys that chose that route intentionally, just like there are in the rotary wing and airlift communities, but by and large pilots want to fly, and that sweet southwest job doesn't give a damn about RPA hours.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:03:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Those dudes are the furthest thing from pilots.  The RQ-4 doesn't have a single aircraft control.  Might as well call the satellite operators "pilots" too.
View Quote
Why not. Army satellite controllers get wings.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We give our space pilots flight suits and "spings" too. They want to feel like they fly something.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:09:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What? Rank of pilots in the Navy is O-1 to O-10.

CWO fly in other services,
View Quote
It may also be for job security.  It's how they justify having so many officers, especially in the air force.

Like with drones - usaf claims they need officers to pilot drones.  IIRC the Navy uses E5+ for the same thing.

And for steering the ship on the open ocean?  Hell that's usually an E3 or below.  Had an officer (also usaf IIRC) who was a bit flabbergasted when he was visiting my first ship and saw that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sometimes you wait for them to give you an aircraft...

...other times, you just take it.

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-tale-of-when-a-marine-mechanic-stole-an-a-4-skyhawk-1745015819

Gotta love Lance Corporals....lulz.
View Quote

I was at MCAS(H) Tustin- just down the road from MCAS El Toro- when that asshole pulled that stunt. Fun times on the flight lines after that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It may also be for job security.  It's how they justify having so many officers, especially in the air force.

Like with drones - usaf claims they need officers to pilot drones.  IIRC the Navy uses E5+ for the same thing.

And for steering the ship on the open ocean?  Hell that's usually an E3 or below.  Had an officer (also usaf IIRC) who was a bit flabbergasted when he was visiting my first ship and saw that.
View Quote
Job security? Ever AF pilot I know can't wait to get out of the service.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No that was not me I got out in 1976.  They did however make me sign a document promising not to take off in the aircraft before they would give me my license.
View Quote
I think that joyride guy was a marine
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Lance corpral HAS been promoted twice..
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Could care less about stars but the CO/XO parking is so nice.
View Quote
Puma socks.  The best.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
A guy who was a junior ski patroller for us when he was in high school has been O-5 for a couple of years.

I AM old.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Chief Boatswain’s Mate P.J. “Pappy” Byrne received the Legion of Merit in 1955 after amassing more than 22,600 hours in the air with more than 140 types of planes. He retired three years later to conclude a 40-year career.
View Quote
In 1955, the Navy held the most enlisted pilots at around 300, followed by 255 for the Marines.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
WW2 had enlisted US pilots too and those planes were very expensive in the 1940's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because they're trusted with expensive and powerful shit thousands of feet off the ground?
WW2 had enlisted US pilots too and those planes were very expensive in the 1940's.

Despite discrimination from some officers, 2,576 enlisted men are known to have graduated as sergeant pilots under this program. Ultimately they flew virtually all types of AAF aircraft.
Half of the first graduating class of flying sergeants went overseas with the P-38-equipped 82nd Fighter Group. Members of this class shot down 130 enemy aircraft, and nine became aces. In all, former sergeant pilots destroyed 249.5 enemy aircraft and 18 became aces flying fighters. William J. Sloan was the leading ace of the 12th Air Force with 12 victories. Four WWII enlisted pilots became general officers (seven pre-WWII enlisted pilots also became generals).
Chuck Yeager was an enlisted pilot in WWII. Got his star before retirement.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

She's fucking hawt!  
She smart too!

Colonel Themely received her commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 1995 where she was a Distinguished Graduate.  
Following pilot training at Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma, she transitioned to the F-15C.
She was a Chief of Staff of the Air Force Fellow, with duties on the Joint Staff as Chief of the Analysis Branch in J8, Program and Budget Analysis Division (PBAD), Pentagon, Washington, D.C.  

Colonel Themely is a Command Pilot with over 3,200 total hours in the F-15C/D, T-38A/C, and T-6A, including 1,400 instructor hours and 169 combat hours.

EDUCATION:
1995 - Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
2001 - Squadron Officer School
2002 - Master of Science, Aviation Management, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL
2007 - Master of Science, Strategic Intelligence, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington D.C.
2015 - Master of Science, National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
2015 - National and International Security Studies, Harvard Kennedy School, Boston, MA
View Quote
I had a feeling one of you leg humpers would zoom in on her nametag.

And she just took over the 80 TFW at Sheppard...which is where ENJPT is at (aka "Euro-Nato").

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/news/local/2017/05/25/themely-takes-command-80th-flying-training-wing/102144674/

I was always under the impression that a "wing king" and a promotion to one star went hand in hand.  ???

which reminds me...who has been eye searingly absent from this thread?

bullf16

that's who.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#47]
have drones been opened up to enlisted pilots yet?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
have drones been opened up to enlisted pilots yet?
View Quote
In the Army they have been.  The AF had its first RQ-4 "pilots" graduate recently.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#49]
From what I have heard and seen, is that most of the older pilots are more invested and want their 20+ retirement.

A lot of the young guys are bouncing to go fly drones for contractors or going to the airlines.

We had a guy leave here 20+ retired LTC and pulled a $300K job flying for FEDEX.

Right now, pilots and crew chiefs are leaving the AF in droves, Obama Co and his holdovers have gutted the AF with their PC bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I think that joyride guy was a marine
View Quote
Did he get it back on the ground in usable condition, or did he pile it in?

I don't remember the incident.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top