Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

With the tribalism a lasting governing structure that encompasses a former colony rarely works. I can think of several though, Kenya, Botswana, Namibia and Zambia.

Mozambique and Tanzania might make it.

Usually, a governing structure lasts one dictator’s life.m span.

ETA: The idea of preventative maintenance and it’s benefits, or even just preparing for tomorrow is largely foreign to indigenous Africans. No joke.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of maintained infrastructure due to the failure of the colonial governments to create a governing structure that was sustainable upon independence?

With the tribalism a lasting governing structure that encompasses a former colony rarely works. I can think of several though, Kenya, Botswana, Namibia and Zambia.

ETA: The idea of preventative maintenance and it’s benefits, or even just preparing for tomorrow is largely foreign to indigenous Africans. No joke.

Yes, let's ignore everything except tribalism.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:38:22 AM EDT
[#2]
We are building Facilities in Kenya, Senegal, and South Africa in Life Sciences.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nyerere may have been able to dramatically reduce tribalism in TZ compared to other African countries but Tanzania is still a shithole.

Bottom line:  You could swap the populations of S Korea with Tanzania, with the Africans inheriting a world class infrastructure, and the Koreans inheriting shit.  In 20 years, SK will be a shithole and the Koreans will have built a thriving country in Tanzania.

Look at S Africa now.  That is with nearly 30 years of development and advancement in mining, petro, other industries by mostly the whites.  The gov has instituted all kinds of programs to forcibly transition that ownership over 30 years to blacks and they still can't make it sustainable.  And those are the peaceful transitions.  There have been many times where successful communities and industries set up by whites, Indians, Chinese, etc... have been outright stolen and the owners killed our chased out of the country by the millions (Zimbabwe, Uganda, SA, etc...) and the after effects here were a very rapid collapse of industry and society.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:46:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The problem with Africa, is that it’s full of ________.
View Quote

Bell Curve?
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#5]
You can’t make Africa productive for the same reason you can’t make Jackson, Mississippi or Flint, Michigan productive. It’ll never happen. Ever. And the best thing that anyone that wants peaceful life can do is stay as far away as possible
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 1:22:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So the Draka are actually the Han Chinese and not a bunch of displaced American southerners and English?
That's fucked up.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Havent read them , but similar theme in Conquistador
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The problem with Africa, is that it's full of ________.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

The Time When Zambia Tried To Go To Mars

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 1:34:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Millions will probably die, but the land is too valuable to poison it. The chinese are already moving there as well and planting roots, it's the perfect solution to their overpopulation problem.
View Quote
oh I had some totally non-coc, but completely accurate and true responses...typed, laughed, retyped, laughed harder, aaannndd...

redacted  
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 1:39:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Look at South Africa now.
There's your answer
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 2:04:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When oil prices crater as EVs take over the market the next few years, Africa is going to become an Ecological disaster. China will strip mine it, leave the craters, export toxic waste there, etc.

The local population will not be able to survive. It will be chaos.

I predict hundreds of millions of deaths there.
View Quote

Quoted:

Millions will probably die, but the land is too valuable to poison it. The chinese are already moving there as well and planting roots, it's the perfect solution to their overpopulation problem.
View Quote

I
Lol EV taking over, as for Africa, who cares?
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 2:12:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If we don’t export freedom there. China will by it up and build communism.
View Quote

Ah...I got some bad news for you anon.

It already has, has since the mid 60s. @Rye-Straight

These people do not want freedom, they do not even have a word for it, how about we focus on ourselves and protecting our rights, how many comments have you posted on 80% comment section?
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 2:15:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So the Draka are actually the Han Chinese and not a bunch of displaced American southerners and English?
That's fucked up.
View Quote

Explain.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 2:17:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Bell Curve?
View Quote

Genetic do as they do.

...Smfh.

Quoted:
Look at South Africa now.
There's your answer
View Quote

But muh racisms!
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 2:38:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why do we set up factories in Thailand, Mexico, India,  China, Malaysia, Tibet, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, etc….   But nothing in Africa.

I cannot think of a single thing I own that says made in Africa.  

Surely there is something that can be made there.  

View Quote

Realistically, because Latin America. Its comparable in resources and population, but with a generally higher skilled workforce and higher levels of development, and they speak Spanish, which plenty of people in the US know. And its of course much closer to America then Africa.

Let China and Europe fuck around with Africa, we've got this bad boy in our backyard.

Gold, silver, iron, copper, bauxite (aluminum ore), tin, lead, and nickel—all these minerals are abundant in Latin America. In addition, mines throughout the region produce precious gems, titanium, and tungsten. In fact, South America is among the world's leaders in the mining of raw materials.

The US should be working to industrialize Latin America more, both to reduce dependency on China/Asia, and also as a 'wall of jobs' to reduce illegal immigration.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 2:50:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Had a friend that was a humanitarian relief pilot in central Africa. Some of his stories were.

-Farmer bitching about how it hasn’t rained in a few weeks. So his crops will die due to lack of water. And that his plane needed to bring in more food. My friend asked him why didn’t he use the Nile river next to his farm to irrigate his farm. Said the dude genuinely didn’t think of it.

-The relief services would hand out goat, chicken and cow starter herds to get the locals away from bush meat and able to turn a profit. The Africans would get the herd and the entire village would have a BBQ. Then it’s when white man bring next herd.

-Last straw for him was when he had to fly a government official to a rebel base so they could find out why a cease fire was violated. Said government official got in a screaming match with the rebel commander. He became very aware of he’s the only white dude in a few hundred miles and he is from the government that everyone there hates. So he goes out and starts up the airplane. Government official jumps in the airplane screaming why is it on. So once the official was in he just takes off, flys back to the capital and says fuck this shit I’m leaving.

People like that are incapable of functioning in anything more than a Stone Age society.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 2:58:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 3:04:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe....and i know this is a crazy idea....but just perhaps we should be setting up the means of production here, within the confines of our own borders. The main reason our supply chain is failing right now is because we are fully dependent on shipments of crucial supplies from across oceans. We need a government that stops creating barriers to commerce. Ill take a policy of isolationism over one of globalism every time.
View Quote

Have you been drinking?  C'mon man, get your shit together!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 3:09:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is freedom?
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 3:10:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lack of maintained infrastructure due to the failure of the colonial governments to create a governing structure that was sustainable upon independence?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 3:16:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Should be interesting to see if the saying "Africa always wins" holds true.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 3:20:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Christianity is exploding in Africa.  Really cool to see.
View Quote

This might actually get them somewhere. ^^^^
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 3:26:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I read a good article by an American in Africa who said the US perceives Africa as a giant shit hole not bothering with. The Chinese view Africa as "some parts we can make a buck in" and with super populated and competitive China it's worth the risk to strike out and gamble in trying to make money in Africa
View Quote

China is willing to subjugate, enslave and then discard any indigenous population in their conquest. They only care about the resources they can pull out of the ground.

We nation build, waste money and coddle the locals. This means it's more profitable to China than us. We'd just wind up like the Belgians, or with Afghanistan 2.0.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 3:26:52 AM EDT
[#23]
isn't Wakanda in Africa and that's the most advanced country in the world
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 3:58:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nyerere may have been able to dramatically reduce tribalism in TZ compared to other African countries but Tanzania is still a shithole.

Bottom line:  You could swap the populations of S Korea with Tanzania, with the Africans inheriting a world class infrastructure, and the Koreans inheriting shit.  In 20 years, SK will be a shithole and the Koreans will have built a thriving country in Tanzania.

Look at S Africa now.  That is with nearly 30 years of development and advancement in mining, petro, other industries by mostly the whites.  The gov has instituted all kinds of programs to forcibly transition that ownership over 30 years to blacks and they still can't make it sustainable.  And those are the peaceful transitions.  There have been many times where successful communities and industries set up by whites, Indians, Chinese, etc... have been outright stolen and the owners killed our chased out of the country by the millions (Zimbabwe, Uganda, SA, etc...) and the after effects here were a very rapid collapse of industry and society.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Successful populations do success, failed populations do failure. Its why all those sad excuses for failed countries, often bringing up shit that happened 50-100 years ago, ring so hollow. In about 20-30 years the Israelis managed to build a country in a desert that could go to war with something like 15 other countries, contrast that with South Africa, which has gone from top 10 GDP country to a shithole that doesn't have reliable power... and from a few lib articles I've seen on the subject, its the few white people left that are to blame, and their legacy.

A micro example of that I saw not too long back, a bunch of NYC libs gave million dollar apartments to a bunch of homeless bums. The bums did their thing, completely trashed the places, much to the shock of the people stupid enough to give them the apartments. They actually thought that somehow the apartments would be some magical place that would make them act not like homeless bums.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 3:59:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We all know the reason, but if we say it we get banned.
View Quote

http://stonetoss.com/comic/wagging-the-dog/

"Purely economic factors"
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 4:01:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

China is willing to subjugate, enslave and then discard any indigenous population in their conquest. They only care about the resources they can pull out of the ground.

We nation build, waste money and coddle the locals. This means it's more profitable to China than us. We'd just wind up like the Belgians, or with Afghanistan 2.0.
View Quote

China most likely sees all of Africa as a Chinese colony to be populated by excess Chinese...and eventually, only Chinese.  They have absolutely zero qualms against genociding the native population down to the last baby.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 4:31:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
China most likely sees all of Africa as a Chinese colony to be populated by excess Chinese...and eventually, only Chinese.  They have absolutely zero qualms against genociding the native population down to the last baby.
View Quote

Well... they're clearly gonna need some non-Chinese females.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 4:40:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well... they're clearly gonna need some non-Chinese females.
View Quote

I could speculate how they'd handle that in the worst case, but it may be too atrocious to put into writing.

That said, it may not be as much of a problem for them as we make it out to be.  Here's a Chinese population pyramid...they have some excess males, but they still have easily enough females to sustain some colonies:
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 4:48:29 AM EDT
[#29]
The same snide remarks you guys in this thread are making towards Africa as a continent or people of African descent, people were making 100 years ago about the Chinese...And look where they are now...
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 4:57:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes, let's pour more money into a never ending pit. Never ending. South Africa is a country with the bomb that was once a modern country going places. When it was run by...non Africans. What happened? I rest my case. Lot of business in South Africa is owned by blacks, because whites can't own. Run by Africans? Hmm not so much for many of them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#31]
When I was in DRC, our terp told us that the Belgians had come in to their town and built all the hard structures, set up infrastructure, built a hydroelectric dam, and made jobs for the people.

The terp told me that the people pushed the Belgians out because "our people wanted to be lazy, they did not want to work 9 to 5." It's sad because some of them were extremely hard working. But I guess most of them were just okay with living in grass huts, shitting on the side of the road while on their trip to carry bundles of sticks and grass, and washing in the local brown water river.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a clip of a Chinese guy in Africa and he sees what they did to the railroads the colonists built there and interviews one of them
and he said not only did you guys not maintain this wonderful rail systems you had, you  destroyed them.
he said you guys behave like animals here., no wonder that this place is still in shambles.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why do we set up factories in Thailand, Mexico, India,  China, Malaysia, Tibet, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, etc….   But nothing in Africa.

I cannot think of a single thing I own that says made in Africa.  

Surely there is something that can be made there.  

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Then China wouldn't be a super power
The powers above have said no manufacturing in Africa let them stay in poverty so China can rule.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Maybe....and i know this is a crazy idea....but just perhaps we should be setting up the means of production here, within the confines of our own borders. The main reason our supply chain is failing right now is because we are fully dependent on shipments of crucial supplies from across oceans. We need a government that stops creating barriers to commerce. Ill take a policy of isolationism over one of globalism every time.
View Quote
Our supply chain is failing because it was shut down for a year.  We can't get tankers, trucks or drivers to move material domestically because of the insane spike in demand.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The same snide remarks you guys in this thread are making towards Africa as a continent or people of African descent, people were making 100 years ago about the Chinese...And look where they are now...
View Quote

For much of recorded human history, China/Asia has had the among the most if not the most advanced civilizations, never has that been the case for sub-Saharan Africa
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#37]
China already beat us to it.

US.  Let us help you train your military so we can be friends

China.  We will build a free hospital for your children so we can mine your gold
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sparky's new account?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spent time in Africa.  Some folks are genuinely smart and good human beings, but...
people there are very tribal.  Think concentric circles of loyalty:
immediate family first, village/tribe next, region, nation last.
Altruism there is a foreign concept.
I have (ex) family there, and I wish them no ill will.

Sparky's new account?

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The problem with Africa, is that it’s full of ________.
View Quote

Exactly!
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:04:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Umm... it's been tried over and over with horrible results.  Peace corps workers can't even get them to maintain a well pump because after a year it either breaks due to lack of maintenance or it gets stripped for parts, and you want them to take industrial technology and run with it?
View Quote

Don’t forget the inter-village bickering and warlords. Too often if a clean water source is established, a neighboring village will poison it as part of all but forgotten feud or some armed militia will “protect” it and distribute the water…”for a price, Ugarte, for a price”.

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fuck Africa. Let those fuckers fend for themselves, except the oppressed South Africans. Let them come here.
View Quote

See ^
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#42]

TPNI

But don’t worry, China will bring Africa to heel. They have no trouble doing what will have to be done.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Enjoy $30 undershirts.

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Enjoy $30 undershirts.

View Quote

I'd rather live within our means indefinitely than live beyond our means temporarily at the expense of self-sufficiency, only to live far beneath our means the moment we lose reserve currency status.  No nation can maintain a primary export of fiat money with an overextended military empire forever.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This might actually get them somewhere. ^^^^
View Quote

Eventually, after maybe another 100 years. It takes time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Successful populations do success, failed populations do failure. Its why all those sad excuses for failed countries, often bringing up shit that happened 50-100 years ago, ring so hollow. In about 20-30 years the Israelis managed to build a country in a desert that could go to war with something like 15 other countries, contrast that with South Africa, which has gone from top 10 GDP country to a shithole that doesn't have reliable power... and from a few lib articles I've seen on the subject, its the few white people left that are to blame, and their legacy.

A micro example of that I saw not too long back, a bunch of NYC libs gave million dollar apartments to a bunch of homeless bums. The bums did their thing, completely trashed the places, much to the shock of the people stupid enough to give them the apartments. They actually thought that somehow the apartments would be some magical place that would make them act not like homeless bums.
View Quote

Just read Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance. His point about white trash Appalachia as someone raised within it: Policy has some effect, but by and large the problems are cultural, and government can't fix the cultural problems.  

African tribal culture needs to change to make Africa economically advanced. As some have pointed out, the rise of Christianity in sub-Saharan Africa may eventually bring the necessary cultural change, but it depends on what type of Christianity.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'd rather live within our means indefinitely than live beyond our means temporarily at the expense of self-sufficiency, only to live far beneath our means the moment we lose reserve currency status.  No nation can maintain a primary export of fiat money with an overextended military empire forever.
View Quote

If "living within our means" means poverty and misallocation of resources, it's not a good solution.

There's a good reason your T-shirts aren't made here.  Our textbooks refer to working in the textile industry as virtual human rights abuse.  We moved our textile manufacturing into central america and the carib because those jobs are seen as an onramp to a better life in those places.

Do you want to get a masters degree to win a job making i-phones?  Part of the chinese economic miracle is very smart and well educated people doing dull and repetitive work.  The reason the most valuable thing a chinese national can have is a foreign passport is that it's a hellscape of toil and theft.

We do have currency problems, and we do have political problems with the way we apply military resources.  Leaving the whole world to China eventually puts us on their menu.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Enjoy $30 undershirts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy $30 undershirts.

Made in USA is not actually that expensive; the cheapest pack of hangers at wallmart (10x for $2) were made in USA. Reportedly a 3M N95 mask made in US is $0.36, vs $0.30 for a 3M made in China.

The Bic lighter - one of the cheapest and most reliable consumer products on earth - is made in USA/France.

Undershirts are $12 for made in USA. And thats with the US's much diminished supply of textile mills. An increase in production would lower prices a good deal, as would future improvements in factory automation.

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#49]
We built schools in Afghanistan.
The kids had never seen glass windows, and threw rocks at them because it was fun to break them.
So we replaced the windows.
So they threw more rocks.
So we replaced the windows.
So they threw more rocks..

We built schools in Haiti.
The locals tore them down for firewood for cooking.

Some cultures aren't sufficiently mature for industrialization.

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Made in USA is not actually that expensive; the cheapest pack of hangers at wallmart (10x for $2) were made in USA. Reportedly a 3M N95 mask made in US is $0.36, vs $0.30 for a 3M made in China.

The Bic lighter - one of the cheapest and most reliable consumer products on earth - is made in USA/France.

Undershirts are $12 for made in USA. And thats with the US's much diminished supply of textile mills. An increase in production would lower prices a good deal, as would future improvements in factory automation.

https://i.ibb.co/Bq0S7P2/Screen-Shot-2021-07-15-at-4-31-20-AM.png

View Quote

It's not necessarily cheaper to make things in foreign countries. I believe China bribes US CEOs to move manufacturing there (convince me I'm wrong).  The ability to have the PLA put a bullet in the head of any worker who threatens to strike is a nice bonus.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top