Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So they can use antisemitism as an excuse. Soros does it all the time, he’s an athiest.
View Quote

And there it is. Political Armor.

BOOM.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Same with Catholics.  I have "Catholic" friends who are so proud to tell everyone they are Catholic, but they haven't been to church or mass or whatever they call it since they were little kids.

View Quote

Social club....
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You have to go to Israel to actually see people that you would readily identify differently.
View Quote

A lot of them idf chicks look German
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How many races are there now by DNA?
View Quote

Theres really only like 3
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The word Jew refers to a  ethnic group of people. If you read the New Testament you’ll see that it’s always a reference to a group of people and not a religion. A good example is how Paul uses the phrase “ the Jew’s religion”. They aren’t Jews because they practice Judaism, Judaism is called Judaism because the majority of people that practiced it were Jews.

Technically they are Hebrews.
View Quote

Not all Hebrews were Jewish.  Some Hebrews mixed with Greeks and were known as Phocians. There were different "tribes" of Hebrews. The ones that followed king David were Jewish Hebrews.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You are quite incorrect.  They do in fact jive.  There might be some other intermixing going on over 2 millenia, but DNA from the Lavant is in there.
View Quote

Based on what randomly sampling dna from modern people who self identify as being from an area which was conquered many times over?

Do we have dna samples from biblical jews?

Wouldn't biblical jews show more african dna than asian?
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Jew is a race.  DNA proven.
View Quote

Except for converts...
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't tell my MIL, she's a bit nuts and asked the wife if I was going to turn our son Jew lol.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Orthodox Jew here, and the answer is complicated . "Jewish" is de facto both a religion and an ethnicity, and Jewish practice fuses the two aspects even in heterodox streams. This is further complicated by the whole secular Israeli thing, where those guys see being Israeli as the ethnicity, not even necessarily Jewish (albeit if you press them on it, they'll typically tell you that's how they'd go if they went to a religion). A key point here is that once you're Jewish (birth or conversion), you're always Jewish no matter what you're doing.

Perhaps another way to think of it is "temporarily non-practicing Jews". Any Jew can repent and come back to religious observance, so they still have some hold to the title.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NP catholic here

It's the huge amount of guilt they dump on you from the moment you're old enough to speak.
View Quote

My athiest friend who was raised Catholic once jokingly asked me how I enjoyed sex without all the guilt and shame.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is a cultural connection to their family and ancestors.  Sephardic, Ashkenazi, Mizrahi, etc

Most Irish are Catholic, but it's the "Irish" that ties them to a place and a culture.  Same with Italian.

Go to Africa or to parts of the Middle East (or to an Indian Res), and people will identify by Tribe.  Some Tribes host different religious sects.

Some of you guys need to get out more and see the world.  

View Quote

I'm sure it is for some, I have only ever had someone tell me they are Jewish as an attempt to win an argument they were losing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, because we have the Mizrahi Jews who's ancestors never left the Lavant.
View Quote

According to them?

And according to the bible they weren't from the promised land to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Orthodox Jew here, and the answer is complicated . "Jewish" is de facto both a religion and an ethnicity, and Jewish practice fuses the two aspects even in heterodox streams. This is further complicated by the whole secular Israeli thing, where those guys see being Israeli as the ethnicity, not even necessarily Jewish (albeit if you press them on it, they'll typically tell you that's how they'd go if they went to a religion). A key point here is that once you're Jewish (birth or conversion), you're always Jewish no matter what you're doing.

Perhaps another way to think of it is "temporarily non-practicing Jews". Any Jew can repent and come back to religious observance, so they still have some hold to the title.
View Quote
Bullshit - typical orthodox "I am jewisher than you!" shit.  I don't have to come back to anything to be a Jew! When Russian immigrants born to a Jewish father and a non-Jewish mother served in IDF and died protecting the country, holier you, haredim who ruled the political landscape, denied them a chance to be buried in a military cemetery because they were technically "not Jewish".  I was there, and I went AWOL in 1994 together with thousands of other immigrant soldiers, until the decision was overturned.  Because of this shit, Israel is one of the few countries where there is no separation between religion and state, no civil marriage!

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In simplistic terms, a synagogue is a social club and learning center, not a Jewish church. There is no requirement  for a Jew to ever enter a synagogue.

View Quote

I guess I got that impression from all of the synagogues and other community buildings being packed on Jewish holidays, equating that to Christianity's holidays.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What's going on there?

All the whiteys who have abandoned Christianity don't refer to themselves as Christians.

And aren't there a bunch of ethnicities under the Jewish banner?

What gives?
View Quote
... why would you think skin tone and parentage makes you (any religion, let alone christian) ... how is that even a mental category in anyone's head?

---------------------------------

This is the age old "who is a jew" problem.

It cannot be by being the child of a jewish mom, because in that case, sarah wasn't the child of a jewish mom and so there goes the whole shooting match.

It can't be by having abraham as a genetic forebear, or Ishamel and his descendants along that line would have been jewish.

It cannot be that you have to be a descendant of abraham and sarah, because than there would have been no way for anyone not a descendant of them to have been jewish, but yet there were people who were exactly that.

The ONLY way to discern who is a jew from who is not is to see who shares the same faith abraham did.

Citing 1 kings 19:18:
(Romans 11:1-6)
[1] I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
[2] God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel?
[3] “Lord, they have killed Your prophets, they have torn down Your altars, and I alone am left, and they are seeking my life.”
[4] But what is the divine response to him? “I have kept for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.”
[5] In the same way then, there has also come to be at the present time a remnant according to God’s gracious choice.
[6] But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.

It has always been a remnant.

It used to be that that remnant was inside of an external group made up of the physical descendants of sarah and abraham and others who joined their nation.

Not all in that ancient nation were jews. This is not a foreign concept. It can be explained in a current meme:

The "what kind of an american are you?" one.
----------------------

So, people who do not practice a religion can identify themselves that way because of reasons besides the religion - because at one point in the past, there really was a cultural political and ethnic *nation* you could call "jewish" but as with all nations and groups of people - there are different kinds of ways of "being" of that group and claiming their name for yourself.

Some claims are true and valid. Others, correct, but meaning something different. Some flatly false.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Race is a social construct with no basis in science.

It is by its nature a racist concept.
View Quote

The only meaningful use of the word that I know of refers to all of humanity as A race.

Or all of dogs as "a race."

That sort of thing.

When people start trying to apply it inside of those kinds of groupings, all sorts of evil and nonsense comes out, because the distinctions people try to make with it don't mean what they say they do.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jew is a race.  DNA proven.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/this-gif-793.gif

Bless you two, you both need a class in logic and what the word "prove" means.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Based on what randomly sampling dna from modern people who self identify as being from an area which was conquered many times over?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are quite incorrect.  They do in fact jive.  There might be some other intermixing going on over 2 millenia, but DNA from the Lavant is in there.

@Obo2

Here you go, go hog wild:

https://nitter.mint.lgbt/MiroCyo/status/1712258026881921287#m
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The only times any Jew has every revealed to you that they were Jewish, was when they were losing arguments where their Jewish ancestry would help win the argument?

What is this argument that you keep having with secret Jews?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is a cultural connection to their family and ancestors.  Sephardic, Ashkenazi, Mizrahi, etc

Most Irish are Catholic, but it's the "Irish" that ties them to a place and a culture.  Same with Italian.

Go to Africa or to parts of the Middle East (or to an Indian Res), and people will identify by Tribe.  Some Tribes host different religious sects.

Some of you guys need to get out more and see the world.  

I'm sure it is for some, I have only ever had someone tell me they are Jewish as an attempt to win an argument they were losing.

The only times any Jew has every revealed to you that they were Jewish, was when they were losing arguments where their Jewish ancestry would help win the argument?

What is this argument that you keep having with secret Jews?

I said I have only had someone tell me they were Jewish in response to an argument, not that I wasn't already aware of it.

You feign surprise as if people should be coming up to me like "Hi, I'm Bob, I'm Jewish", maybe they do that to you.

I had a "Jewish" roommate in college that would claimed to be a conservative and would only bring it up ever (because he didn't practice, didn't normally care and gave no shits about the heritage) as some sort of foil to justify his liberal tendencies whenever we would have political discussions.

But the last one I can remember is I was talking to a hardcore liberal, aka a fucking communist,  from work a few years ago about recent and ongoing communist genocides during the last century and they first tried to act like that they were unimportant and nonexistent then they brought up that they are Jewish so for some non-sequitur reason they know more about genocide than I do and/or that particular genocide was more evil and I am somehow a holocaust denier because I am talking about more current and larger genocides.  

It was complete nonsensical bullshit, so inane all one could do is end the conversation because they have no capacity for rational thought.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What? I'm not attacking anyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Similar thread about Christianity would have been locked 12 hours ago.

What? I'm not attacking anyone.

Oh agreed and I think these threads are perfectly appropriate for GD (though they all do devolve rather quickly as most GD threads are wont to do) but there’s a marked bias in moderation which consigns anything remotely critical of Christianity to the dustbin.  

My point was only that someone starting a similar thread with similar responses but focused on Christianity would have resulted in a rapid lock - but this one proceeds down the expected and predictable path.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My point was only that someone starting a similar thread with similar responses but focused on Christianity would have resulted in a rapid lock - but this one proceeds down the expected and predictable path.
View Quote
Start a thread saying reformed theology/calvinism is satanism in disguise and everyone that knowingly follows it are satanists.

I bet you it'd go 20 pages before anyone even got moderated.

Some animals are more equal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

That provides a little clarity and sort of backs my insinuation. Despite the stated conclusion of the tweet author.

He gives an explanation of what the numbers mean and the first groups listed as jews fall in to from the same region while samaritans and Christians are more closely related.

It would be interesting to see some american jews who may claim to be from so and so tribe ranked on there. It's been said many of those would actually be descended more so from gypsies (indian nomads) than biblical jews. The closest thing to central European jews who immigrated here that are on that list is italian jews and they are near the bottom of the list.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That provides a little clarity and sort of backs my insinuation. Despite the stated conclusion of the tweet author.

He gives an explanation of what the numbers mean and the first groups listed as jews fall in to from the same region while samaritans and Christians are more closely related.

It would be interesting to see some american jews who may claim to be from so and so tribe ranked on there. It's been said many of those would actually be descended more so from gypsies (indian nomads) than biblical jews. The closest thing to central European jews who immigrated here that are on that list is italian jews and they are near the bottom of the list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's a very long thread and the OP of the thread keeps interacting.

Continue to click to load more and read it all, there's a lot of content of note there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's a very long thread and the OP of the thread keeps interacting.

Continue to click to load more and read it all, there's a lot of content of note there.
View Quote

I read through the main thread initially. He kind of answers some questions further down discussing ashkenazi which i believe is primarily what we have here in the US...

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Jewish is a race not a religion.
One cannot simply become Jewish.

At least this is what the Jews I have been friends with have told me.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#30]
It's a good question. Goes for everything.
For example why America haters call themselves American.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Except for converts...
View Quote

Not your DNA. Religion or faith only.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Tunneling isn't for everyone.

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Jewish is a race not a religion.
One cannot simply become Jewish.

At least this is what the Jews I have been friends with have told me.

View Quote

Wasn't George Santos, Jew, "ish" ?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top