Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Is that yours? 

No school books. No soccer boots. No fucking past due bills????
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It was called parchment, kid.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Because the 70's were cool!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
OP I wish I had some photographs of the house I grew up in (mid to late 80's).  It must have gotten a complete remodel during the height of the avocado green phase:  The carpet on the main level was shag avocado, and all the appliances in the kitchen were avocado.  This included a fridge, a (broken) dishwasher, a Jen-Air indoor Hibachi grille, and all the countertops.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You forgot to put out your fondue set.
View Quote
We still use our electic one. Great for dinner with a few friends, put in a little peanut oil and lay out bits of beef, chicken, and/or shrimp.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Does it have appliances?

Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#8]
We bought our house in 1998. Built 1973. Blue siding, white trim and yellow elongated brick.

In the garage were some of the aluminium siding leftovers. Avocado green.

The kitchen appliances were harvest gold. Countertops avocado. The floor, linoleum harvest gold and avocado.

When we replaced the medicine cabinet in one bathroom, we found the original paint was avocado....the toilet, bathtub and sink...harvest gold.

The other bathroom is solid avocado. Window treatments all harvest gold.

It could have been worse. A friend walked into a house with silver reflective foil...all over the ceilings.

Ps. Shag carpets avocado, shit brown and off white...now really off white.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Avocado was gawdawful ugly, my Aunt was into that. But to be honest, I'd take harvest gold or coppertone over black or white appliances any day. White shows way too much dirt and black is too frigging dark. 
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Another artifact of the '70s -- vinyl tops.
View Quote
Yea, no, fail.  
Vinyl tops were around long before the 70's.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#11]
This is remarkably similar to my Uncle's place, back in the day:

That sunken area and having your hi-fi built into the wall was a thing there for a bit. 

A lot of this stuff lasted well into the 80's, before people finally remodeled. 
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#12]
The guy that bought my aunts house back in the early 00's removed all of the avocado appliances and the dark pine wood cabinets and the avocado tiles before he demolished the house.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#13]
We had Avacado green appliances, and a 1973 Ford Mustang in Avacado green. 
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Avocado green? You're whining about that? You've obviously never been to Puerto Rico, Cuba, or Miami? The pastel colors of avocado green, pink, sky blue, and yellows will really piss you off or give you a conniption fit, the way you're whining about the green!    Me, I could care less. It's actually nice to see some color diversity sometimes. Doesn't bother me.

Miami
https://s.iha.com/00113011376/Miami-beach-Colorful-houses-in-miami-beach-art-deco-district.jpeg

Bahamas
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6e/a1/53/6ea153a04946a36c08a2f4ac497b2de6.jpg

San Juan, Puerto Rico
https://23796-presscdn-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/DSC00097.jpg

Havana, Cuba
https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/cuba_havana_colonial-cars-buildings.jpg
View Quote
Those pastels are very popular in coastal "primitive" cultures; they keep the evil boojun spirits away.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#15]
To go with the orange carpet and mustard color walls, also dark walnut stained wood.  The Frank Sinatra generation; we must keep the lights down low and sleezy while booze'n.  Mediterranean look. Goes well with downer drugs and alcohol.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So we are looking at a home to possibly purchase and one of the first ones we looked at had 1 owner and dates back to the 70s 

It needs work but the first thing my attention gets drawn to was the carpet....avocado green? Was that a thing in the 70s?
View Quote
No it was not  a thing. It was a mandate by the government  if your house didn't have Avocado  colored carpets then it meant you're a commie. My parents went with the fridge and exterior  of the house in avocado.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Starfishes and seashells all over the place?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Copper tone was the best.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#20]
lol 
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I stayed in a hotel back in the late 90's that had curtains that looked just like that, long yellow shag carpet, dark wood paneling.......

plus roaches
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Because the entire world was B&W until NASA invented color for the space program and it took a while to calibrate colors and for people to adjust?
View Quote
Came to post the very same thing.  Back then the world was black and white.  If you don't believe me, just look at some old pictures or movies.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Don't forget harvest gold and wood paneling and shag carpet and pink bathroom fixtures.
View Quote
Hehe, that takes me back.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
OMG.... that kinda looks like the carpet we use to have!

My partner bought me an electric one for Christmas last year, because I talked about how much I loved having meat fondue as a kid.

But now you got me thinking of the kitchen aid mixer Mom had in the early 70s.  It was a weird shade - not as bright yellow as harvest gold, but not quite so green as avocado.  Still runs great though!
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#26]
We had an avocado green fridge into the late 90's. That thing would not die. 
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#27]
The 70s were kind of drab as far as interiors went.  Good thing was that women stayed in the kitchen back then.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.ambito.co/ab/2017/04/70's_80's_interior_design-1024x790.jpg

That sunken area and having your hi-fi built into the wall was a thing there for a bit. 

View Quote
I think that's pretty badass IMO.  My idea of a mancave.

Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#29]
My parent House was built in 69,avocado matching appliances and same avaco rugs.
It is actually because the 70 were better than the 90’s and after!
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
It was called a conversation pit, and they were far out man.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We had an avocado green fridge into the late 90's. That thing would not die. 
View Quote
I was born in the early seventies.  The avocado Westinghouse we had was still working when mom passed away in January.  Unbelievable.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
When did this stop? I think thats an awesome idea.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I didn't know carpet could last that long.
Is it shag?
You could find all kinds of things in there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#34]
 Hey look, quesadillas!
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#35]
My house was built in 1974, I bought it in 1991. It still had the original shag carpeting, an avocado sort of color with brown and gold flecks in it. The pile had very definite trails worn into it along the high traffic areas. The living room had dark paneling and the dining room had a mural in the same colors as the carpet. Fortunately I had a vision of what it could be, not what it was.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#36]
NJ, about 72 on, everything in the house was avocado, the shed, the house, the kitchen, including appliances, dishwasher, refrigerator, etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Second load!  Stop it!
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Makes you wonder if what we currently consider to be the apex of architectural design will be considered outdated and ugly one day. 

https://i.imgur.com/CAu7c5A.jpg
View Quote
Some shit is timeless.  60's contemporary(Frank Lloyd Wright) is timeless.   I'd rock all of that stuff to this day
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Don't forget harvest gold and wood paneling and shag carpet and pink bathroom fixtures.
View Quote
lol. I just bought and remodeled a home built in 1970, single owner.  I think the shag carpet was original, and I basically wore hazmat gear to pull it out.  Ugly wood paneling all came down, and we had harvest gold appliances throughout.  Even the formica countertops were a swirling burnt orange and harvest gold, haha.  They were tough and heavy and hard to rip out, I'll give them that.  The only thing we missed from your description is the pink in the bathrooms.

I love the character of the home and the neighborhood, and I really love the mature shade trees.  But holy damn their interior decorating back in the 70s was pretty bad.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Bought a house in the early 80s.  Orange shag carpet throughout except for the green shag in one bathroom.  Shag in a bathroom?? WTF!?!

Oh, and orange woven woods and orange indoor-outdoor carpet in the kitchen.  Spill something?  I disappeared.

Don't forget grass cloth wall paper, console stereos, and ceilings textured with pieces of vermiculite.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Because drugs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why was avocado green a color choice for houses in the 70s?

Because drugs
I literally spewed the iced tea I was drinking.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I lived thru the late 60’s and 70’s... The house we live in now was a fairly high end custom built in 1975 / 1976.

Master Bathroom - Avacado Green tub & cultured marble surround
Attachment Attached File

Hall bathroom- Harvest Gold tub and cultured marble surround I replaced the matching one piece low-boy toilet because it ran constantly and the water bill was getting to expensive.
Attachment Attached File

3rd Bathroom - Aegean Blue tub & cultured marble surround. I replaced the matching one piece low-boy toilet because it ran constantly and the water bill was getting to expensive.
Attachment Attached File

The house had an intercom system with a fold out 8 track player. I removed it and patched the humongous hole when I stripped the wallpaper and painted walls in the kitchen.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#47]
It can't be a '70s thred unless you had these things hanging on your wall:

Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

when drunks walked back from the bar in the kitchen and toppled over the top of teh couch because they forgot that "there's a pit there, man..."
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Some shit is timeless.  60's contemporary(Frank Lloyd Wright) is timeless.   I'd rock all of that stuff to this day
View Quote
Me too!

My friends mom died a few weeks ago. Nice house in Charleston, looks like 70's decor, except for the bathrooms which look like late 50's pink tile.

If I got it I wouldn't change a thing. One of my coworkers remodels every few years or so, replacing perfectly good, newish appliances with whatever the latest style is because of superficial design. And we wonder why they don't make things that last.

I don't replace shit until it breaks. My gas cookstove works great. Oven stays at exactly the temp you set it at. Yeah, it's brown. I have no shits to give.

Except for the wallpaper. The worst was the grass cloth den. I still have 4 bedrooms to do. I've gotten used to it. 
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Our house had green bathroom fixtures, we tore it all out the tub would have been too much work.   Had one of those bathroom refinishing companies come in and epoxy the tub white, it's held up awesome and looks great after 15 years.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top