Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:54:27 AM EDT
[#1]
PAGE 4 is MINE
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

On the XPrize launches they used a rocket with a "feathering" rear section.  Rutan's design there was genius.  A lift vehicle that could reenter the atmosphere sans any special heat shielding like on the early capsules and shuttles.   My guess here is this rig will eventually be used as a people shuttle. Leave Musk to lift tonnage.
View Quote
Yeah, people lifting is what I was thinking of. The flight profile of this platform lets you match orbit with something else (like a space station) almost immediately. I think when Space X has sent supplies to the ISS there can be a 2+ day span where they are matching orbits: https://www.wired.com/2017/02/watch-spacex-try-launch-nasas-science-space/
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not sure whether to laugh or be depressed at the attitudes in here. 
View Quote
Get both.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#4]
How long before that thing is scattered all over the desert,  The NTSB is performing an investigation, and shareholders are wanting to know what the fuck the CEO has been doing with his company's money?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The flame from the rocket in the middle might be tough on that spar. 
View Quote
I'm pretty sure they will drop the rocket before the engine fires, just like air-to-air missiles and when they dropped the X-15 from a B-52. That should not be a consideration.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope that main spar is up to the task.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
that does not look structurally sound...
View Quote
How will that not separate in the middle during turbulence?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I see the arfcom everybody is an expert on everything they see posted crew has arrived.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. I would have connected the horizontal stabilizers together to make it stronger. I hope they have a good reason for not doing so. 
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This. I would have connected the horizontal stabilizers together to make it stronger. I hope they have a good reason for not doing so. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Airflow around the variously sized/shaped payloads would be a bitch to model for every new payload.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There was no genius in that design, if you tried it at actual orbital velocities it would burn up in seconds.  It works when you are at suborbital altitude and a tiny fraction of orbital velocity.

The same genius mechanism killed a test pilot and damn near killed another on SS2, when it unlocked at speed.
View Quote
That accident was primarily pilot error, not a flaw inherent in the design.  Had the pilot unlocked the tail within the parameters, the accident would not have happened.  The only thing Scaled could have done was to inhibit tail unlocking outside defined parameters.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Scaled has a reputation for being the best specialized aircraft design firm on the planet.  They absolutely know what they're doing.

White Knight 2 has been flying for years with no issues.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You doubters make me ill.

You think Paul Allen doesn't know how to properly simulate an aircraft design? How to test it for structural integrity under aerodynamic forces?

View Quote
Who is Paul Allen? Woody Allen's little brother?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pretty much what I was just thinking.  The center of that wing better be a whole lot stronger than it looks...or that thing is going to fall apart if it ever gets rough up there.
View Quote
It does look like they used extra duct tape there
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.  Sign me up.  I've met Rutan, he's the John Moses Browning of aviation.
View Quote
I did no to know Rutan was the designer. Scratch my last 
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Scaled has a reputation for being the best specialized aircraft design firm on the planet.  They absolutely know what they're doing.

White Knight 2 has been flying for years with no issues.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/Virgin_Galactic_Scaled_Composites_348_White_Knight_2_Ryabtsev.jpg
View Quote
Took 4 pages for someone to post that.  Sure a lot of know it alls in this thread.  I bet they also give good gun store advice too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Who is Paul Allen? Woody Allen's little brother?
View Quote
One of the founders of Microsoft.  He owns some sports teams, too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I wish it well and I love the concept of being able to launch a rocket while in the air and already having fwd velocity...
Cool stuff...fire that bitch up and test drive it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wish it well and I love the concept of being able to launch a rocket while in the air and already having fwd velocity...
Cool stuff...fire that bitch up and test drive it.
View Quote
Orbital Science Corp has been wheezing the idea along for decades, but it's never proven to be particularly clever.  This just doubles down on a poor business model.  It's not the measly velocity that matters, it's the significant altitude and percent of atmosphere that doesn't have to be penetrated.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Must have two booze carts?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
... mildly surprised those horizontals weren't designed as a single empennage
View Quote
New word of the day (for me).
Empennage: an arrangement of stabilizing surfaces at the tail of an aircraft
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Must be a bitch of an Aircraft to land.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Took 4 pages for someone to post that.  Sure a lot of know it alls in this thread.  I bet they also give good gun store advice too.
View Quote

I mentioned it on page 1.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

New word of the day (for me).
Empennage: an arrangement of stabilizing surfaces at the tail of an aircraft
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you did. And it still didn't dissuade all the self professed aerodynamicists from doubting the expertise of Scaled Composites.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah looks like it would need a boom between the tails to help support it and keep the two halves square with each other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah looks like it would need a boom between the tails to help support it and keep the two halves square with each other.
It's fine. If it breaks apart it becomes two airplanes and each one continues on perfectly. I think they can even separate and rejoin in midair. How cool is that?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Totally different design.  Entire plane with flimsy wings designed to keep a SINGLE Centered cockpit in the air.
Now add 2 cockpits, and 3 heavyass rockets, and NO center support and see how far you get.
Let us know how your flight went with those unsupported tailfins kicking like a kid learning to dogpaddle with a bag of tire weights strapped to its belly , ok?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like this piece of junk?
http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/usa/scaled_globalflyer.jpg

Only THREE non-stop flights around the globe? Psssh....
Totally different design.  Entire plane with flimsy wings designed to keep a SINGLE Centered cockpit in the air.
Now add 2 cockpits, and 3 heavyass rockets, and NO center support and see how far you get.
Let us know how your flight went with those unsupported tailfins kicking like a kid learning to dogpaddle with a bag of tire weights strapped to its belly , ok?
Okay:
Granted the scale of the StratoLaunch is extreme, but it's still a concept that Rutan has proven with airworthy examples again and again over the last 30 years.  The StratoLaunch may indeed fail for reasons innumerable, but not simply because a bunch of laymen in GD think the empennage look flimsy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's fine. If it breaks apart it becomes two airplanes and each one continues on perfectly. I think they can even separate and rejoin in midair. How cool is that?
View Quote
It is "you have watched too much StarTrek" kind of cool.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Think of the Vulcan machine gun that could fit in the middle
View Quote
load that sucker with 4 to 8 mother of all bombs and then when it drops the bombs it does so in a synchronized manner so that each bomb precisely follows the path of the one before for the grandady of all bunker penetraters.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
load that sucker with 4 to 8 mother of all bombs and then when it drops the bombs it does so in a synchronized manner so that each bomb precisely follows the path of the one before for the grandady of all bunker penetraters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Think of the Vulcan machine gun that could fit in the middle
We have a bomb for that, it's called the MOP.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not an aeronautical engineer but that shit don't look right to me.

ETA: Why is it that the cockpit/nose sections of those planes look familiar?
Almost like they were scabbed off another airframe or something.
View Quote
Using existing windshields would reduce costs. Heated windshields are extremely expensive and one off models even more so. 
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Using existing windshields would reduce costs. Heated windshields are extremely expensive and one off models even more so. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not an aeronautical engineer but that shit don't look right to me.

ETA: Why is it that the cockpit/nose sections of those planes look familiar?
Almost like they were scabbed off another airframe or something.
Yup.  Look at the DC-10 and C-17s cockpit windows, if you want to see an example of ugly re-use.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I see the arfcom everybody is an expert on everything they see posted crew has arrived.
View Quote
This

All the geniuses in here surpass fucking Burt Rutan and the Scaled Composites team lol
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That plane has fantastic thigh gap.

Also, how many 2,000 pound bombs could it carry?
View Quote
Why carry a bunch of 2,000lb bombs when you can load a single weapon with 550,000lbs of AFX-757 for a half-kiloton yield?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Spruce Goose 2.0
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Pretty much what I was just thinking.  The center of that wing better be a whole lot stronger than it looks...or that thing is going to fall apart if it ever gets rough up there.
View Quote
I'd imagine at some point someone did the math. 
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It wouldn't be.

If anything the airframe would be reinforced.

Still, I'm looking for the why
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you bet it breaks apart on flight?  That looks flimsy as hell
It wouldn't be.

If anything the airframe would be reinforced.

Still, I'm looking for the why
We get that it is reinforced.

My point is that it would be better suited for actual flight if it had Ujoints on that center section.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#39]
The sheer amount of stupid in this thread is mind bottling.

Yes you basement dwellers are smarter than the engineers that designed every inch of this plane.

Aircraft engineering hasn't progressed one iota since Howard Hughs.

This thing will sheer apart mid flight

what a bunch of derp
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The sheer amount of stupid in this thread is mind bottling.

Yes you basement dwellers are smarter than the engineers that designed every inch of this plane.

Aircraft engineering hasn't progressed one iota since Howard Hughs.

This thing will sheer apart mid flight

what a bunch of derp
View Quote
Not sure you wrote what you meant to wrote.  I'm just sayin'.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
What could go wrong.... Oh wait.....
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This
All the geniuses in here surpass fucking Burt Rutan and the Scaled Composites team lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This
No shit!  No one here has the slightest concept how far we've come in materials science.  Or how many millions of hours of flight data from civilian and military aircraft has been analyzed. Or how good our flight modeling systems have become.
The Stratolaunch will fly because aviation science is just too far advanced in the 21st century for a new airframe not to fly.  It could outmoded by the new launch systems for the rockets was originally designed to serve, it could be too expensive to fly due to size and maintenance costs.  But the Stratolaunch will will fly, operate in the envelope it was designed for, and return safely to earth.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Interesting and all but Chairborne's avatar is all I need!  Go Phantom!
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Meh...

The Germans did it first...  Presenting the Heinkel HE-111Z

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You doubters make me ill.

You think Paul Allen doesn't know how to properly simulate an aircraft design? How to test it for structural integrity under aerodynamic forces?

View Quote
Please tell me you're being sarcastic.     Please?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That's a Scaled Composites craft, there's literally no other aerospace company I would trust more as an engineer to have figured out the problems in such a design. I know it looks different but so did the Concorde.

The main benefits of this kind of platform is that (a) you can build the rocket nozzles much more efficiently since they don't have to function near full atmospheric pressure and (b) your launch windows are enormous and it is much easier to rendezvous quickly with a variety of satellites in existing orbits.

Interesting precedent that I didn't know about until just now - in the 1970's the USAF launched a freaking Minuteman out of the back of a C-5!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b8LLcdBaQc
View Quote
I thought a bunch of people died on Concorde's and they stopped flying them...
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I thought a bunch of people died on Concorde's and they stopped flying them...
View Quote
As I recall, one had a tire shred itself on takeoff and damage the plane enough to cause a crash shortly after takeoff.  The decision was then made to retire them, but that was a decision that had been coming for some time, due to an aging fleet and not really being a money maker.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#48]
I like it, but strongly believe it should be connected toward the tails, too for stability.

It's a monstrous fucking thing to be only connected by a front wing.  Seems dangerous.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

As I recall, one had a tire shred itself on takeoff and damage the plane enough to cause a crash shortly after takeoff.  The decision was then made to retire them, but that was a decision that had been coming for some time, due to an aging fleet and not really being a money maker.
View Quote
The Concorde stopped flying because it was a money loser after the World Bank and International Monetary Fund banned their employees from booking Concorde flights.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#50]
lol at that plane, looks ready to break. If you think that's safe, go research American Airlines 587
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top