Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:13:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Another “buy a 1200” here. My first and current bike, ‘04 Sporty custom. The custom has a bigger tank than the peanut tank on 883. It has decent power. I’m a bit over a buck fiddy. 5’9” it fits me good. I’m an older guy, I don’t need a crotch rocket. I liked the mid controls but I had a bum knee when I first got it. It would start hurting me after awhile. So I put forward controls on and it helped the knee out. I had the knee fixed but kept the forwards on it. You should be able to find a 1200 for about the same money.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't ride a Harley if Jesus himself handed me the keys. Over priced, under powered, obsolete, mechanically inferior piece of shit.  Fight me!
View Quote

I was taught to be nice to retards. Why would I want to fight you? You have the right to be wrong, and I have the right to not give a flying fuck what your retarded opinion is.

Op,

Get the 1200. I’ve had both. The 1200 is the way to go and you won’t regret it. You will likely regret the 883 and want more power. The 883 does fine and gets in and out of traffic fine though.

FYI. The Harley chick bike was called a Buell
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:29:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why did you get rid of the M109R ?
I know a guy that has one that really loves it, his only gripe is the top speed, get's there real quick but tops out at 110.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would go with a nice Japanese bike in the 1100-1900cc range.

Something like this.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300897/2022-rebel-1100-gallery-02-750x750_jpg-2555151.JPG

This was my last bike. Sold it last year.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300897/IMG_20180215_183107_734_jpg-2555153.JPG

I know a guy that has one that really loves it, his only gripe is the top speed, get's there real quick but tops out at 110.

No complaints at all about the 109, I just don't currently have a lot of time too ride. I was just sick of looking at it sitting in my garage.

It was fast at fuck. Don't think that I tried to take it past 100 though. lol
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No complaints at all about the 109, I just don't currently have a lot of time too ride. I was just sick of looking at it sitting in my garage.

It was fast at fuck. Don't think that I tried to take it past 100 though. lol
View Quote

Hear you there. I have a Roadliner S and the M109 will take it in a 1/4, but not by much. Roadliner will outshine it on the top end though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I have owned 2 sportsters, first was a 2001 883, had pipes, cam and air cleaner kit. Stone reliable, never leaked a drop of oil and great build quality. Was pretty nice, always felt like I wanted a bit more power (my previous bikes were Jap 4s and Ducati's, got too old for the cramped riding positions).

I purchased a 1200cc Sportster 48 in 2021, did pipes and air cleaner kit, noticable more power and especially torque. I never feel the need for more power on this one, great suspension (for the limited travel), handling and excellent brakes. This bike is the most fun to ride bike I have ever owned, and I have owned many over the past 45 years.

I also own a 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100, great bike but not nearly as fun to ride as a Sportster.

Not my bike, but mine is just like it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm humble enough to know that i'm not the best rider yet. I don't think lack of power would bug me. Major concern is weight. I think this is 500lbs dry
View Quote

High center of gravity... you will want to get rid of it within a year
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Owned all kinds of bikes since 2002 and have owned both 883 and 1200 sporties in the mix.  Got away from bikes a couple of years and then in 2012 I bought this 2009 883 dirt cheap, $3750 from an old guy who developed heart issues and was ordered to sell it by his doctor and his wife.  

I have rode the wheels off this thing and have done 3 long trips on it the longest from where I live in Ohio to New Mexico.  

After my last long trip to visit my sister in New York 900 miles round trip I realize my 56 year old body can’t do this anymore.  Looking for a dual sport that sits up higher and straighter like the VStroms I owned in the past.

It is primitive but I love it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Went straight into a 2010 Dyna, Twin Cam 96in (1584cc) this year before I got my permit and took a MSF course.
A non-manlet size specimen like me was not going on a little Sportster.

View Quote
I think this is a key aspect a lot of folks ignore when talking smack about the Sporty.
The 883 is always a bit low on power, but if you are 180 or less it's actually pretty good in the HD lineup. A 1200 has a very good power to weight ratio (tq not hp really, if you want top speed get a sport bike) but only if you aren't 400lbs. It's not hard to get a decent bit of extra power out of the 883 and 1200 with a stage 1. The heavier you are the more your weight is messing up the ratio. Plus, you do look stupid and uncomfortable on the smaller models. I was writing a program to help people shop and compare bikes and it was amazing how so many of the numbers didn't match common beliefs. Heavy guys aren't gonna like a more modest power bike even if it is lighter. Light guys don't always enjoy trying to muscle 800lb bikes in the parking lot. I know that personally I can't stand any of the bigger HD's other than cruising down the road. The minute you want me to deal with a parking lot, weird driveway... No thanks, it's not fun anymore. I think I'd be good with a basic soft tail modded up, but not one they throw a bunch of extra gear at and make it weigh a ton.

Let's face it, if you want performance and top speed, HD is not the brand or even style. A HOT HD is a slow and ungainly sport bike with great torque. Personally I love the power band because I am not big on going super fast, but that rush from strong accel from a stop is a lot of fun. So is pulling hard out of a corner without having to rev it out a bunch. My fun zone is 0-60, not 80-140.

I'm currently shopping for a 1200 but would even do an 883 for the right one and just upgrade the engine later. 6k for that is decent, particularly if it's actually as clean as it looks. Dealers around here would be charging 2022 MSRP for that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have owned 2 sportsters, first was a 2001 883, had pipes, cam and air cleaner kit. Stone reliable, never leaked a drop of oil and great build quality. Was pretty nice, always felt like I wanted a bit more power (my previous bikes were Jap 4s and Ducati's, got too old for the cramped riding positions).

I purchased a 1200cc Sportster 48 in 2021, did pipes and air cleaner kit, noticable more power and especially torque. I never feel the need for more power on this one, great suspension (for the limited travel), handling and excellent brakes. This bike is the most fun to ride bike I have ever owned, and I have owned many over the past 45 years.

I also own a 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100, great bike but not nearly as fun to ride as a Sportster.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/2022-harley-davidson-forty-eight-review-sportster-cruiser-motorcycle-8.jpg
Not my bike, but mine is just like it.
View Quote

That is a gorgeous motorcycle!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You will almost certainly regret not getting the 1200.  Not because the 883 sucks, but because you'll always wish you got the 1200. Seriously.

Love Sportsters!
View Quote
This, though I can say between our 883 low and our 1200 the power difference is minimal, it really only shows once you try to top 100 MPH and while they will do it in a straight line and feel fine.  Once you start pushing it in the corners, it quickly becomes apparent why its a cruiser.
They are not bad bikes, but I will likely trade mine in for something else as my second bike is a V65 magna, which is a whole other animal in comparison to a sporty, but still fills the cruiser role for me.

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No.  Everyone thinks they have to start with a sportster or they get one because they are cheap that's why there are always a million for sale. Get a dyna or whatever their first real bike is now, I think they stopped selling the dynas.
View Quote
They did, and at least around here lately the dynas are only about a grand more than the average used sporty.  Now one of the advantages of the sportster is that A LOT of guys that ride buy one for the wife who rides it for 1000 to 1500 miles.  Then they decide the liked just riding on the back of the husbands bike.  We paid 5K each for an 08 1200, and a 09 883 both low miles, one was 1200, the other was just shy of 1500.  That was 3? years ago, been beating on them ever since.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have never ridden a Harley. I've heard the 883s are pokey and you should at least get the 1200.

I think back in the day the 883 was pretty fast compared to the competition
View Quote
the difference is surprisingly little

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A 883 Sportster would be a good first street bike for someone that started on dirtbikes/dual sports.  

I do not understand the hate sportsters get.  I have Sportsters and Big Twins in my stable, different bikes for different rides.
View Quote
This, not everyone wants to ride a Barcalounger, but then again, I am not going touring on a damn sporty either!
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I would suggest an older softail slim.  Lower seat height, more power when you need it, and not so narrow/top heavy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think this is a key aspect a lot of folks ignore when talking smack about the Sporty.
The 883 is always a bit low on power, but if you are 180 or less it's actually pretty good in the HD lineup. A 1200 has a very good power to weight ratio (tq not hp really, if you want top speed get a sport bike) but only if you aren't 400lbs. It's not hard to get a decent bit of extra power out of the 883 and 1200 with a stage 1. The heavier you are the more your weight is messing up the ratio. Plus, you do look stupid and uncomfortable on the smaller models. I was writing a program to help people shop and compare bikes and it was amazing how so many of the numbers didn't match common beliefs. Heavy guys aren't gonna like a more modest power bike even if it is lighter. Light guys don't always enjoy trying to muscle 800lb bikes in the parking lot. I know that personally I can't stand any of the bigger HD's other than cruising down the road. The minute you want me to deal with a parking lot, weird driveway... No thanks, it's not fun anymore. I think I'd be good with a basic soft tail modded up, but not one they throw a bunch of extra gear at and make it weigh a ton.

Let's face it, if you want performance and top speed, HD is not the brand or even style. A HOT HD is a slow and ungainly sport bike with great torque. Personally I love the power band because I am not big on going super fast, but that rush from strong accel from a stop is a lot of fun. So is pulling hard out of a corner without having to rev it out a bunch. My fun zone is 0-60, not 80-140.

I'm currently shopping for a 1200 but would even do an 883 for the right one and just upgrade the engine later. 6k for that is decent, particularly if it's actually as clean as it looks. Dealers around here would be charging 2022 MSRP for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went straight into a 2010 Dyna, Twin Cam 96in (1584cc) this year before I got my permit and took a MSF course.
A non-manlet size specimen like me was not going on a little Sportster.

Yup. I’m 5’6” and about 170 lbs. Sportsters are just fine for me.

I’ve ridden my brothers 2001 Wide Glide. Tons of fun on the road but a bit cumbersome in parking lots etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Shop around, I bought my 2010 FXDWG with under 12k for $7500 this spring. Private party sale.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Didn’t get to it this year but I have the parts to put 10” handlebars on it.

Future plans are 95” kit and cams. Probably would make more sense to buy a newer bike but I really don’t know how many more years I’ll ride.

I tend to run out of motor against some of the people I ride with. But it’s still impressive, I can get air under the front tire when I power shift 1-2!

BTW what year is yours?
View Quote

Mine is an 05 with ~5000 miles on it…
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wouldn't ride a Harley if Jesus himself handed me the keys. Over priced, under powered, obsolete, mechanically inferior piece of shit.  Fight me!
View Quote

I’ve been hearing that more often as I’m thinking of buying one but I will probably buy me another jap bike. Last bike I had was a zx12r I’m liking the 2022 zx14r.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#19]
getting in on page three without reading everybody's recommendation.  When my wife took and passed the MSC  class, she went straight into a Sportster 1200.  She rode that for 25000 miles before her accident.  My youngest son went from the class to a Triumph Speedmaster without any hesitation.  Within a year of riding that he was taking my Yamaha Eluder on road trips.

If you've already ridden, I'd go straight to the V twin cruiser you eventually want to be in.  I'd advise to just skip all the middle steps.  You'll pick it up in a heartbeat.  Don't waste the money on the middle steps.  Just practice by yourself in a parking lot with the Cruiser/Tourer you want to end up in.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I always heard the sportsters had a really small tank that needed to be replaced
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I always heard the sportsters had a really small tank that needed to be replaced
My 2002 tank is 3.3gl.  I start looking for gas at 130 miles on the ODO.

Quoted:
You Sportster guys; How tall are you?  I'm 6'1", and wondering about going the Sportster route.  (I had a CX500 for awhile and fit on it nicely...)

I'm 5'10" and it fits me nicely. The suspension would be better with another 100# on it, though.

Quoted:
do you like cleaning up oil?

I do my own work so mine doesn't leak.  No RTV either.
Never been stranded, either. Tractor simple reliability.

Quoted:
Quoted:
A 883 Sportster would be a good first street bike for someone that started on dirtbikes/dual sports.  
I do not understand the hate sportsters get.  I have Sportsters and Big Twins in my stable, different bikes for different rides.
This, not everyone wants to ride a Barcalounger, but then again, I am not going touring on a damn sporty either!

Lots of truth in these two quotes.

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thats not true at all.  I own several bikes including big touring machines and I actually prefer to ride my Sportsters(yes I have multiple).
View Quote

I’ve owned a Dyna, Road King, Street Glide, etc…. Most fun?  Sportster Forty-Eight.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#22]
More fun to ride than a dressed out Hog.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#23]
While there is nothing wrong with the 883, there are so many better options for that price.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
While there is nothing wrong with the 883, there are so many better different options for that price.
View Quote
Different rides, different experiences. All depends on what you are looking for.
To go with my Sportster, I just bought a 2014 Bonneville.
Same class of bike, two different riding experiences.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Different rides, different experiences. All depends on what you are looking for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While there is nothing wrong with the 883, there are so many better different options for that price.

I understand what you are saying but at the same time I agree with what he said. Outside of reputation or wanting an American bike there isn't much that a Harley is better at that I'm aware of. You can like them for what they are but better specifically implies measured comparisons.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was taught to be nice to retards. Why would I want to fight you? You have the right to be wrong, and I have the right to not give a flying fuck what your retarded opinion is.

Op,

Get the 1200. I’ve had both. The 1200 is the way to go and you won’t regret it. You will likely regret the 883 and want more power. The 883 does fine and gets in and out of traffic fine though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Op,

The Buell lineup was pretty cool aside from the blast. I think they could have grown it into something awesome but they had no desire to do so.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would go with a nice Japanese bike in the 1100-1900cc range.

Something like this.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300897/2022-rebel-1100-gallery-02-750x750_jpg-2555151.JPG

This was my last bike. Sold it last year.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300897/IMG_20180215_183107_734_jpg-2555153.JPG

I never rode a M109 but if they were anything like my VTX I'm not sure you want to go a lot faster. Cruisers in general don't handle well at high speeds even with a lot of work done. I remember once I was flat out and it felt like I was floating which was very unnerving.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#28]
He dropped to $5,500
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#29]
He would consider $5,500 cash

I can still be intimidated by alot of power at this stage of my skill level so I wouldnt be too upset with low power for while.

I figure I cant lose money at this price as I seen 5-15 year 883's almost all above this. So it appears there is a bottom to the market.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I can still be intimidated by alot of power at this stage of my skill level so I wouldnt be too upset with low power for while.

I figure I cant lose money at this price as I seen 5-15 year 883's almost all above this. So it appears there is a bottom to the market.
View Quote

Sounds like you had your mind made up before starting this thread.

Have fun with your new ride
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I was looking at these on Marketplace.

Is it a requirement to take pictures like a douchebag? Low angle shots, stupid sideways bullshit. Almost all of the photos
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#32]
You won’t be hurt at that price. So if you decide you want a 1200 or something else later you’ll be fine. As long as you don’t road rash it.
But I don’t think a 1200 would be to much for you if you’ve been riding already. Though I like my Sporty custom, I do like the look of that bike with the peanut tank better. They ooze a 50’s cool kinda vibe.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha true story. Roll with it OP. Even if you ride it for a year and lose $2k that's less than $100 bucks a month.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#34]
find an EagleRider rental near you and rent one for a weekend.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You will almost certainly regret not getting the 1200.  Not because the 883 sucks, but because you’ll always wish you got the 1200. Seriously.

Love Sportsters!  
View Quote

The advantage of an 883 is that OP can register and insure it as an under 1 liter bike, then upgrade to a 1200 or 1250 (depending on which kit he buys) and enjoy 1200 power with 883 cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#36]
My 06 1200 is fun. But it was my first Harley and I found out quick how much maintenance these bikes need. I love riding but not sure if I’m in love with this bike or not. Going to try something different next year and see if something else fits my style better
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The advantage of an 883 is that OP can register and insure it as an under 1 liter bike, then upgrade to a 1200 or 1250 (depending on which kit he buys) and enjoy 1200 power with 883 cheap insurance.
View Quote

I can't imagine much difference on insurance.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Been riding all my life but my first harley was a 1200 sportster. Bought one becaise I wanted a cruiser. Added some tall bars and exhaust, gave it the look and feel.

Wound up trading up to the dyna. Reason being is the sportster is a little bit light for a cruiser. Great as a quick little vtwin but if you want the heavier/bigger cruiser feel, you'll need to go dyna or softail.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Nope.

OP needs that HD man-boy scooter called, … the “Sportster.”

Deemed officially safe for metrosexuals by the State of California.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm 5'10" and it fits me nicely. The suspension would be better with another 100# on it, though.

View Quote

same, though mine with forward controls is more comfortable for me than the wifes mid control one.  Though with the mid controls hers seems more responsive on turn in etc.  Mine is the low, super low, whatever, you could not get a finger in-between the rear fender and the tire.  I saw a guy selling the stock rear shocks off of a dyna that he had lowered.  That made it a whole different bike.  Where I once winced and stood up on the pegs at every rr track or bump, now I just ride right over it like its not there. @Hellbent_4
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Too much money for an 883. Find a 1200. Other than that buy what you want and enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

same, though mine with forward controls is more comfortable for me than the wifes mid control one.  Though with the mid controls hers seems more responsive on turn in etc.  Mine is the low, super low, whatever, you could not get a finger in-between the rear fender and the tire.  I saw a guy selling the stock rear shocks off of a dyna that he had lowered.  That made it a whole different bike.  Where I once winced and stood up on the pegs at every rr track or bump, now I just ride right over it like its not there. @Hellbent_4
View Quote
@speedbuggy16v

Mine started out as a Hugger (really REALLY stupid name )
Rode like a brick. Wound up swapping forks and shocks with a guy with an 02 Custom.
He wanted to come down and I wanted to go up.
Much better ride but still stiff for us under 200 pounders.
Mine has mid controls and highway pegs. I usually ride with my feet on the rears and use the forwards for in town.
The back of my left boot has a hole from shifting with my heel.

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Maybe I just missed it but it also depends on what kind of riding you want it for. For around town or short trips it would be a good ride, but longer rides you'd probably be better with a softail or dyna. I know people take the sportsters for long rides, but it'll beat you around more than a bigger bike. Especially if you ever plan on having a passenger.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
@speedbuggy16v

Mine started out as a Hugger (really REALLY stupid name )
Rode like a brick. Wound up swapping forks and shocks with a guy with an 02 Custom.
He wanted to come down and I wanted to go up.
Much better ride but still stiff for us under 200 pounders.
Mine has mid controls and highway pegs. I usually ride with my feet on the rears and use the forwards for in town.
The back of my left boot has a hole from shifting with my heel.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#45]

No, it's not a good beginners bike. You will not enjoy riding that motorcycle. It is as close to being a rigid frame bike
as possible. The pegs are too far apart and too high up to give even a short arse like me a comfy ride.

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 2:20:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same. They are pure cosplay. Garbage.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top