Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Resorts and busy foreign tourist areas don't count.

I'm talking about deep into everyday Mexico.
View Quote

Yes. I'm not a scared bitch and I'm not an "ugly American".
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife and her best friend are going to Mexico City next week for the monarch butterfly migration. I’m hoping the two of us can go later in the year.

View Quote

Piedra Herrada?

Oh, and: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Has-your-wife-vacationed-without-you-/5-2705603/
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mexico is big. Depends entirely on where you refer to. Baja California is probably safe today.

I drove into the Valle de Guadalupe in October. I spent no time getting the fuck out of Tijuana though. Had lunch in Puerto Nuevo, then made the inroads into the Valle.

Had a good week there. Returned to the US via Tecate.
I did have a stash of 20s on me to bribe cops if I was pulled over, but it never happened. Had a shitty rental that looked like it belonged there.
View Quote

I was going to post about this.  We haven't done a big trip in awhile and were thinking of going to Cabo in March or June.  My wife lived in Del Rio as a teenager and went to Mexico all the time.  I told her it's likely a lot different than the 90s.  I have friends who go every year to Cancun but they just stay at the resort.  I don't want to do that, I like to get out and explore.

That said, in Cabo do visitors just camp out at the resort or do they go up and down the coast between San Lucas and San Jose, hitting the beaches, restaurants, stores, etc.?  If one does go out does it need to be with organized tours?  Do you get a rental car or just take cabs or what?  Someone please explain if it's pretty safe to go around to do stuff or not.

Our other idea is Singapore.  If I book it right, the cost to Singapore isn't too much more.  Airfare is a bit more, and we'd have to use more days due to the distance of travel, but it's doable.  I have zero qualms about the safety in Singapore, everything is in English, but it's kinda cloudy, rainy and blah compared to that Baja peninsula.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No fucking way.
View Quote

This..  No.Fucking.Way
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I live in Mexico and travel all around it.  It's safer here than West Memphis or Detroit
View Quote

I wouldn't go to West Memphis or Detroit either.....
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm literally leaving for Tulum next week.
View Quote
Lucky!
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Hellls no.

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buy kidnapping insurance...
View Quote

You will need it. There is only a one in ten thousand chance that those who kidnap you are horny Hispanic females MILFs who demand that you put out like in the documentaries.  

It is more like spending a few days tied up in a closet while your family wires them money
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Last time I was there it was cleaner and less shitty south of the border than it was north of the border. Used to be the opposite. Some border towns on the US side that were once halfway decent are now dangerous shitholes.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]
No desire to
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Where are you looking?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm considering retiring there.

Where are you looking?
I watch this YT channel.

https://www.youtube.com/@MexicoRelocationGuide

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#15]
My family and I go to Mexico 2-3 times a year (not tourist traps) it's not different than going to questionable areas of the U.S.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
In the late 60's my wife and I rode a chicken bus from Mexico City to Acapulco and back a few days later.  

Another time we rode a chicken bus from Merida to Playa de Carmen.

Chicken bus is an interesting way to travel.

A year or two ago our daughter and son in law flew from TJ to the vacation in Tulum.  She got sick, Mexicans wanted to operate.  Back in SD, doctors told her they see this a lot.

Why risk getting poisoned and then being the victim of an unnecessary operation scam?

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When you say Mexico, do you mean Egypt?
View Quote

Doors closed in Israel
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Hard pass
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I spent a week in Quer taro about a year ago and had a great time, didn't ever feel unsafe or afraid. Quer taro is considered one of the safest cities in Mexico but it is still Mexico so watch your ass and dont be stupid.

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Why not? It's empty.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#21]
The risk/reward ratio is too high for most things and places.  There are a few exceptions.  A few.

Speaking of Memphis, it is so sad to see what the ghetto people are doing to formerly nice buildings and neighborhoods.

The Democrat Party owes huge reparations to America for the damage it is purposely doing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As long as it's at least two hours south of the U.S. border, I'd feel safer in most parts of Mexico than many diverse neighborhoods in U.S. cities.  Granted, if it's far enough south in Mexico I'm going to need a few saltwater fly rods and some sunscreen as I might stay a while.
View Quote

This right here!
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

I know really? What shitholes do you live in, that you have to be armed to the teeth, just to go to the store or everyday life?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife and her best friend are going to Mexico City next week for the monarch butterfly migration. I’m hoping the two of us can go later in the year.

Piedra Herrada?

Oh, and: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Has-your-wife-vacationed-without-you-/5-2705603/

I honestly don’t know. We watched a documentary on the migration and it was way more interesting than I thought it would be. Monarchs are fascinating little critters.

We have a deal. If one of us has the opportunity to do something cool that the other isn’t into, we encourage each other to go. She’s been on flyfishing trips by herself and I’ve been on solo backpacking trips. Life’s short. Have adventures.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Wherever Pati's Mexican Table is filmed looks pretty safe.  She's a kinda hot "Mexican" milf with a nice rack that the producers try to hide.  Giada ain't afraid to show and they're both probably Catholic so what gives, Pati?

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been down there three times in the past year. I went alone and rented a car and drove all over the Yucatan Peninsula visiting Mayan ruins. Stayed in Valladolid, Merida and various small towns. Never had a problem at all. Not one single issue with anyone. It was quite the opposite, people were overall much friendlier than people here. I was in Mexico City twice and stayed in the historic district and surrounding areas of Roma and Condesa. Again, zero problems at all. My experience has been completely different than what I keep hearing from people that have never been down there. For sure there are areas I wouldn't travel to but the same can be said for the small rural town I live in. I took my family to Washington D.C. last March and the experience with people sucked compared to Mexico. I'm headed back to Mexico later this year but after hearing about my trips, I have friends that want to go now.

ETA: I speak enough Spanish to get by and find that people appreciate an attempt at speaking their native language much more than the asshole tourist that demands everyone speak English. Respect is a big thing in Mexican culture in general and if you go down there and act like you know what you're doing and just be courteous and respectful, it goes a long way.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
...Again, zero problems at all. My experience has been completely different than what I keep hearing from people that have never been down there. ...
View Quote

Funny how that works.

These threads, like so many others, follow predictable patterns.

But, the police chief of a major Quintana Roo city and global tourist destination being somehow a serial rapist of foreigners per the story from the former roommate of the wife of friend of a neighbor? That was a new one for me.

Also never seen someone post about going to see the butterflies, so that was nice.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:49:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've been down there three times in the past year. I went alone and rented a car and drove all over the Yucatan Peninsula visiting Mayan ruins. Stayed in Valladolid, Merida and various small towns. Never had a problem at all. Not one single issue with anyone. It was quite the opposite, people were overall much friendlier than people here. I was in Mexico City twice and stayed in the historic district and surrounding areas of Roma and Condesa. Again, zero problems at all. My experience has been completely different than what I keep hearing from people that have never been down there. For sure there are areas I wouldn't travel to but the same can be said for the small rural town I live in. I took my family to Washington D.C. last March and the experience with people sucked compared to Mexico. I'm headed back to Mexico later this year but after hearing about my trips, I have friends that want to go now.

ETA: I speak enough Spanish to get by and find that people appreciate an attempt at speaking their native language much more than the asshole tourist that demands everyone speak English. Respect is a big thing in Mexican culture in general and if you go down there and act like you know what you're doing and just be courteous and respectful, it goes a long way.
View Quote

It's fine until it's not.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:52:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Fuck no, my wife's family is pretty well off in Nayarit and even she'd rather live much poorly here instead.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bring a chrome 38 Super with you to blend in.
View Quote
Fify
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I wouldn't go to West Memphis or Detroit either.....
View Quote
Yeah you have a good point.  I live in TJ and have never once felt threatened.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:58:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I spent a couple of years in "real Mexico".

It's very safe, right up until it isn't.  Crimes of all sorts are much higher there than here.   Being an American makes you simultaneously less likely to be a target of some crimes, and more likely to be a target of others.

I had enough close calls, and saw enough dead bodies, or people who had just been stabbed 87 times, or drunks looking for a fight, or talked to people who had been harassed and stolen from by the police, or I just missed a gang machete fight, or happened to get into a taxi with a driver that was drunk, got in a wreck, then got in a chase through the streets, etc. that while you'll probably be alright... it's absolutely not 100%.  And, as everywhere, it really depends on where you are, but even in the "good" areas, it's not 100%.

Mexico is a wonderful, beautiful land full of kind, generous, friendly people.  But it's also a failed state where there's little to nothing stopping the criminals, apart from even bigger criminals.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:09:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Montezuma's revenge can kill you just as fast as a cartel member can.

Or at least you will wish you were dead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never had any problems in Baja,  I'm a lean tall blonde gringo who can speak really bad Spanish.
Montezuma's revenge can kill you just as fast as a cartel member can.

Or at least you will wish you were dead.

I've never had tender tummy,  I love me some street tacos.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:15:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mexico is big. Depends entirely on where you refer to. Baja California is probably safe today.

I drove into the Valle de Guadalupe in October. I spent no time getting the fuck out of Tijuana though. Had lunch in Puerto Nuevo, then made the inroads into the Valle.

Had a good week there. Returned to the US via Tecate.
I did have a stash of 20s on me to bribe cops if I was pulled over, but it never happened. Had a shitty rental that looked like it belonged there.
View Quote

I drive to the Valle a few times a month. Did you go to Deckmans or Finca?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:21:13 AM EDT
[#35]
My son’s fiancé’s family is in Juarez.
They’re going down in a couple weeks.

I’m fairly confident in their safety. Traveling with other family, Mexican. They do this a lot.

My company has a lot of manufacturing in Mexico and I’ve dealt with them extensively. I can affirm that there’s a solid, educated, middle class there.
So I think location and association are important.

Kind of like most US cities.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:28:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Since i turned 18, every time that i have travelled to Mexico has (had) been for work and i was armed every time.  Mexico is a failed state and I wouldn’t go unless 1 was armed and i had several friends with me who were both armed and grainiest to the same level that i am.
View Quote

Hahahahahahah.

I drive from SD to Ensenada a few times a month and a few times a year I drive from Durango to Mazatlan and Culiacán.  Your post is over the top- sounding like your only experience in Mexico is watching sicario movies.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Nope why leave my country for a 3rd world shithole?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:33:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I live in Mexico and travel all around it.  It's safer here than West Memphis or Detroit
View Quote

Is that supposed to be a high bar or something?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:35:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nope why leave my country for a 3rd world shithole?
View Quote

Because in some places of the 3rd world shithole is better than the US. And yes I have property in AZ.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:55:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Lots of people keep saying they "felt" safe there. "Feeling" safe and being safe are two different things, you know. Mexico has a murder rate 4 times as high as the US, and if you get in trouble there the police are not going to help you.

I don't share GD's fear of travel, but Mexico is not my pick. There are much better and safer places in the world to travel.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:57:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I spent a couple of years in "real Mexico".

It's very safe, right up until it isn't.  Crimes of all sorts are much higher there than here.   Being an American makes you simultaneously less likely to be a target of some crimes, and more likely to be a target of others.

I had enough close calls, and saw enough dead bodies, or people who had just been stabbed 87 times, or drunks looking for a fight, or talked to people who had been harassed and stolen from by the police, or I just missed a gang machete fight, or happened to get into a taxi with a driver that was drunk, got in a wreck, then got in a chase through the streets, etc. that while you'll probably be alright... it's absolutely not 100%.  And, as everywhere, it really depends on where you are, but even in the "good" areas, it's not 100%.

Mexico is a wonderful, beautiful land full of kind, generous, friendly people.  But it's also a failed state where there's little to nothing stopping the criminals, apart from even bigger criminals.
View Quote

I nominate this as best post in the thread.

Anyone wanna second it?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:59:42 AM EDT
[#42]

But, no.  Mexico is relatively safe, thought going much further than I have, I wouldn't want to be driving my current truck as I would prefer to try blending in more
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:10:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes, we went to Queretaro, Mexico city, San Miguel, Bernal, all in Central Mexico in November 2022 and had a blast.  We have family down there and its a safe area (not all of Mexico is, obviously).

Hope to go back in the next couple of years.
View Quote

I've been all over that Part of Mexico, and would have little hesitation returning, especially to San Miguel de Allende and Queretaro.  My friends there will absolutely tell you it isn't as safe as it was 5 or 6 years ago, but that it is still pretty safe for Mexico.  There are a few other areas of Mexico that I'd feel pretty safe in, but not many and not totally safe.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:24:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Baja California is nice. May get property there and fish while the world burns

Would stay out of Mexico proper except for one of those expat towns where everyone speaks English and the cops brutalize criminals in an effort to keep it safe. And even those places you shouldn't be running around past 11pm
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:28:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:30:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No fucking way.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:32:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Only if you’re Mormon.

And yes I’m serious.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:51:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This thread reminds me of skittish Europeans, hemming and hawing over whether they should visit the US, on account of all the gun violence and school shootings, and such.

I mean - the news is pretty accurate, afterall. Right?
View Quote

There are definitely places in the US that the Europeans would be wise to avoid.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:54:30 AM EDT
[#49]
That's the stupidest question I've heard today...

...FUCK no.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:02:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top