Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: Today 12:43:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drsalee] [#1]
George Carlin: Earth with Plastic

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I can’t believe 4 pages went by before someone posted this gem.
Link Posted: Today 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DDiggler:
Google image search "trash rivers India" and tell us why WE should feel even a bit guilty about any of it.
View Quote

This.

I burn a tire or two on earth day to help balance the global ecosystem.
Link Posted: Today 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
I will continue to throw my used car batteries into the ocean to charge the electric eels.

They crave it
View Quote

OMG

Now that was farging FUNNY!!
Link Posted: Today 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: Today 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
The cake is a lie.
Link Posted: Today 12:47:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HiFlow] [#6]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:
Who remembers when Acid Rain was all the rage
View Quote

Acid rain was real. Weather it was mislabeled overhyped or not is up for debate. There is zero question that the shit coming out of our vehicles tailpipes, accumulating in the clouds to rain back down on us was 100% detrimental to human health, especially pre 80's vehicles. If you dont think this is true go suck a 1970's vehicle tailpipe for a week and report back.

Burning gasoline and diesel fuel creates harmful byproducts like nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, benzene, and formaldehyde. In addition, vehicles emit carbon dioxide, just to get started on the big heavy hitters.

Have we done better with new EFI and Cat systems. Yes. Have we pushed too far with some of the regs as a response to this. Yes.

Link Posted: Today 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Cataly5t:

I've been dubious of the great garbage patch for years so when the above video came out i did an estimate of the amount of fuel used to collect that 45 tons of plastic.  Add in the cost to operate the 2 ships and its likely an absurd amount of money spent.  As others have pointed out, Asia dumps a lot of their trash in the nearest water way (beware of those beaches in thailand that look good in advertisements ) and plastic recycling isn't really a thing yet.  I think maybe the best strategy is to make plastic or some types of plastic products come with a recycling fee.  This will incentivize people and especially the homeless to collect it and then we could store/sequester it until such time the technology exists that enables cost effective recycling.

The one good thing the virtue signalers in the video did IMO is install some screening mechanism on one or more streams/rivers in Asia.  That's a step in the right direction but it begs the question, why don't Asians care about pollution?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cataly5t:
Originally Posted By HiFlow:
Originally Posted By Chisum:
Of course, we were lied to. The real concern is the number of people who sucked it up without doing their homework. It was easy to disprove. Use Google Maps and you find it never showed up on Satelite no matter how close you zoomed in. Any object of any meaningful size would be super easy to spot.

45 TONS of trash in one single deployment of surface skimming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8drUT_cZy8

I've been dubious of the great garbage patch for years so when the above video came out i did an estimate of the amount of fuel used to collect that 45 tons of plastic.  Add in the cost to operate the 2 ships and its likely an absurd amount of money spent.  As others have pointed out, Asia dumps a lot of their trash in the nearest water way (beware of those beaches in thailand that look good in advertisements ) and plastic recycling isn't really a thing yet.  I think maybe the best strategy is to make plastic or some types of plastic products come with a recycling fee.  This will incentivize people and especially the homeless to collect it and then we could store/sequester it until such time the technology exists that enables cost effective recycling.

The one good thing the virtue signalers in the video did IMO is install some screening mechanism on one or more streams/rivers in Asia.  That's a step in the right direction but it begs the question, why don't Asians care about pollution?

The 3rd worlds follows our lead, and while not perfect its good people are starting to wake up and identify sources, getting creative with methods to stop it at the source. I saw a video lst week of people living in some 3rd world country, shanties are basically stilted or floating villages. EVERYTHING was dumped in the watershed they floated above, literal shit soup. The kids were bathing and playing in it, they were fishing in it. they just dont lack the smarts or education to  know or do better and in some cases are barely surviving much less caring about yesterdays trash. Its truly fucked and these are the people we are mass importing here too to top it all off.
Link Posted: Today 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LostX:
I saw it. Read the comments. People are hating on her and saying she’s trying to absolve corporations. Basically being being anti-capitalists.
View Quote

Which is funny because she completely danced around the issue of third world countries habitually dumping truckloads of garbage in the ocean, but called out Coca Cola for being the biggest contributor to plastic waste
Link Posted: Today 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By macpherson:

Which is funny because she completely danced around the issue of third world countries habitually dumping truckloads of garbage in the ocean, but called out Coca Cola for being the biggest contributor to plastic waste
View Quote

The next time you say, "Coca-Cola", just remember that in the one second it took you to say those two words, 200 plastic Coke bottles were dumped in a landfill somewhere in the USA -- 200 every second, 700,000 every hour, 17 million every day, more than 6 billion every year.

Those are staggering numbers for just one brand of poison sugar swill. Coke could switch back to glass but they wont let profits get in the way of that. People would lose their shit if another $1 was added to the cost for a glass container.
Link Posted: Today 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
I've come to terms with the fact that I'm being lied to about absolutely everything. That's why I don't believe anything.
View Quote

Yes sir, everything is a fucking lie or propaganda.
Link Posted: Today 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
The next time you say, "Coca-Cola", just remember that in the one second it took you to say those two words, 200 plastic Coke bottles were dumped in a landfill somewhere in the USA -- 200 every second, 700,000 every hour, 17 million every day, more than 6 billion every year.

Those are staggering numbers for just one brand of poison sugar swill. Coke could switch back to glass but they wont let profits get in the way of that. People would lose their shit if another $1 was added to the cost for a glass container.
View Quote

Would the pollution thing be better if they switched to glass?
Link Posted: Today 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#12]

YOU go back and read the quote tree. He posted that he has never seen it and wanted proof. I grabbed the FIRST 2 videos in a youtube search about plastic trash on beaches. Then he disputed it by saying it wasnt substantial enough to merit any real concern because it wasnt 100% coverage. Im not emotional about it but Im not gonna "pretend" the shits not real. And Im sure AF not gonna let you condescendingly try to thump your chest about it either. Are you saying the 2 videos I posted are bullshit and not an issue? I can walk 100 yards to my local waterfront and easily pick up a trash bag of shit washed up on the banks in 30 minutes or less.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -daddy:

Go back and read the entire quote tree before getting emotional.

YOU go back and read the quote tree. He posted that he has never seen it and wanted proof. I grabbed the FIRST 2 videos in a youtube search about plastic trash on beaches. Then he disputed it by saying it wasnt substantial enough to merit any real concern because it wasnt 100% coverage. Im not emotional about it but Im not gonna "pretend" the shits not real. And Im sure AF not gonna let you condescendingly try to thump your chest about it either. Are you saying the 2 videos I posted are bullshit and not an issue? I can walk 100 yards to my local waterfront and easily pick up a trash bag of shit washed up on the banks in 30 minutes or less.

Because reading is difficult for you. Here is the quote in question

“I’ve been to uninhabited islands where the beaches are more plastic trash than sand and several feet deep.”

You posted a couple of videos. Neither showed beaches with more plastic than sand let alone FEET of plastic. Nice try. Stop being ridiculous.
Link Posted: Today 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#13]
She's kinda hot!  Would litter with her.
Link Posted: Today 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Joe731:

View Quote

Im old enough to remember getting 5-10 cents for every bottle we scrounged up as kids to bike to the local recycling plant. It would absolutely cut down on plastic polution, but there are others that will argue that recycling is not very "energy efficient, and resource sustainable for glass production". Im already seeing docos about sand becoming a real concern because we are consuming it in such quantities its not sustainable. Some sands like desert sand cannot be used in concrete mixes.
Link Posted: Today 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TX_Road_Warrior:

FPNI again
View All Quotes
I've come to terms with the fact that I'm being lied to about absolutely everything. That's why I don't believe anything.

FPNI again

Yep!
Link Posted: Today 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#16]

“I’ve been to uninhabited islands where the beaches are more plastic trash than sand and several feet deep.”

You posted a couple of videos. Neither showed beaches with more plastic than sand let alone FEET of plastic. Nice try. Stop being ridiculous.
View All Quotes

Im sorry I failed to post videos with FEET deep plastic. Next time ill google harder -daddy to please you. The fact you are trivializing beaches obviously littered with plastic trash and now dogging out another member is the very definition of being ridiculous and straight up trolling.
Link Posted: Today 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Nehi:

This looks fake AF. Scam
View Quote
Yup.

"45 tons"*

*4 tons of plastic, 40 tons of water, 1 ton of shellfish that really want to be put back in the water.

Let's see the shredded dry weight with the biomass removed.
Link Posted: Today 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Im sorry I failed to post videos with FEET deep plastic. Next time ill google harder -daddy to please you. The fact you are trivializing beaches obviously littered with plastic trash and now dogging out another member is the very definition of being ridiculous and straight up trolling.
View All Quotes

Literally nobody is doing that. People are calling out hyperbolic bullshit. Let’s try this again.

Stop being silly.
Link Posted: Today 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PCUT:

Single use plastic is kinda a waste and does littler the ocean.

Goto any non-US beach or northern Mediterranean beach and you will see the shit everywhere.

Seen and recoverd  plastic bags and bottles off reefs myself.

Is it doing harm? I dont know but its trash that doesn't belong in those locations.

View Quote
Don't blame the things, blame the people.
Link Posted: Today 1:31:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HiFlow] [#20]

Literally nobody is doing that. People are calling out hyperbolic bullshit. Let’s try this again.

Stop being silly.
View All Quotes

Stop being silly.

The only one that looks ignorant and silly is you.

[youtube]shorts/ptaPtq5F6JA[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ptaPtq5F6JA
Link Posted: Today 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
All the easy to extract hydro carbons will be gone before long (in geologic time).

Future human-like lizard hybrids will need those landfills to fulfill their hydrocarbon lubricant needs.
Link Posted: Today 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I think the term I hear now is "post-truth era" or "post-truth society".

Everything is marketed and spun to make money. Very little work is actually done.
Link Posted: Today 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Well, fewer units would be sold because of the aforementioned $1 surcharge, so the 200 bottles/second stat would be reduced at least.
Link Posted: Today 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: Today 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Im old enough to remember getting 5-10 cents for every bottle we scrounged up as kids to bike to the local recycling plant. It would absolutely cut down on plastic polution, but there are others that will argue that recycling is not very "energy efficient, and resource sustainable for glass production". Im already seeing docos about sand becoming a real concern because we are consuming it in such quantities its not sustainable. Some sands like desert sand cannot be used in concrete mixes.
View All Quotes

And replace it with glass pollution.

"These plastic bottles everywhere are bad, I wish they were glass bottles instead" - Statements by the utterly deranged
Link Posted: Today 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

This

Link Posted: Today 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
All the easy to extract hydro carbons will be gone before long (in geologic time).

Future human-like lizard hybrids will need those landfills to fulfill their hydrocarbon lubricant needs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:

The irony in that statement is that its probably true, lol.
Link Posted: Today 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By cedjunior:
What they don't tell you is that those sea turtles with straws up their noses got them there because they're addicted to coke.
View Quote

The funny thing about that is, apparently, sea turtles are junkies.
They eat jellyfish, and the stinger poison in them gets the turtles high.
Sea turtles have been shown to actively prefer eating jellyfish over more nutritious prey that they also eat.

Scientists posit this is because they like a nice two jelly buzz in the morning…

‘Crush’ in Finding Nemo seems not to be a caricature.
Link Posted: Today 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MedmanKS:

The funny thing about that is, apparently, sea turtles are junkies.
They eat jellyfish, and the stinger poison in them gets the turtles high.
Sea turtles have been shown to actively prefer eating jellyfish over more nutritious prey that they also eat.

Scientists posit this is because they like a nice two jelly buzz in the morning…

‘Crush’ in Finding Nemo seems not to be a caricature.
View Quote

Maybe that is just another bs "study".  How can you measure if a turtle is high, and how many turtles did they study?  And I question whether they actually prefer jellyfish, it may just be due to the fact that jellyfish are one of the few critters in the water slower than they are.  Same could be said for the ocean sunfish, the mola mola which eats jellyfish.  Every critter on this planet is looking for an easy meal.

<- guy who sees turtles in the water and on the beach almost every day.  Never seen one that appeared to be tripping balls though
Link Posted: Today 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Link Posted: Today 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Didn't have time to watch video, but there is a metric fuck ton of plastic floating around the ocean. At work in AK we often spend time on remote beaches that haven't seen a person in years and there is all kinds of Asian plastics, bottles amd such all over. Plus all the fishing gear, car parts, aluminum cans, totes, storage jugs, and Yeti coolers.
Link Posted: Today 3:55:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#32]
Link Posted: Today 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Volksgewehr:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEEXGVrWQAAAXyF?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Once again utter bullshit. China's coastal population and coastlines are massively larger than the Philippines.  With at minimum equal disregard for their trash. And Indians are far worse for population than even the Chinese.  Everyone has an agenda and nothing can be believed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 12:11:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -daddy] [#34]

View All Quotes

Stop being silly.

Holy fuck you cannot be this fucking obtuse. I bolded the key text for you.

You post some dipshit video from a populated island in the Dominican fucking Republic.....Reading isn't this fucking hard.

You've posted 3 videos and NONE of them them show an "“I’ve been to uninhabited islands where the beaches are more plastic trash than sand and several feet deep.”

Again, hyperbolic bullshit.

Will it be a ganges river video next?
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 3:37:42 AM EDT
[#35]

FPNI again
View All Quotes

FPNI again

Some don't think 1st post be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 4:31:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Well done report. Worth the watch.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top