Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mini 14
Worked for Bermuda
I'm glad someone got the reference.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Think you gotta go AK. Too many cheap parts and ammo floating around the world to not take advantage of, and I imagine a sovereign nation can get in on a lot of deals.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Since it's a small island, and all the troops would be doing is shooting dissidents, AK all the way.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
that's some first-class third-world thinking right there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I call Vlad Putin & tell him I want to be a Commie—he gives crates & crates of AK-74s with the good steel core ammo.

That’s only if Uncle Sam won’t give me M16A2s & M4A1s, MRAPs & US gear gratis so I don’t call Uncle Vlad.

It’s historically worked since WWII.

At least I didn’t steal the idea to declare war on the USA, which is the plot of the 1959 Peter Sellers movie, “The Mouse that Roared....”
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
GAU-19 slaved to REMBASS via FDC software

@whiskersthecat
View Quote
Just got finished reading about it

Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thread title was :  "You are the dictator of a small island nation"

Why the frack would the US care about a dictator of a small, island nation? The US has it's own island state and territories to worry about a small island that would be of no strategic relevance to the US and it's national security interests.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I call Vlad Putin & tell him I want to be a Commie—he gives crates & crates of AK-74s with the good steel core ammo.

That’s only if Uncle Sam won’t give me M16A2s & M4A1s, MRAPs & US gear gratis so I don’t call Uncle Vlad.

Why the frack would the US care about a dictator of a small, island nation? The US has it's own island state and territories to worry about a small island that would be of no strategic relevance to the US and it's national security interests.
OP didn’t say it wasn’t a strategic island. Plan B, Uncle Vlad sends Stephen Seagal with cases of AK74s, RPGs & no coins spent.  We start a direct to video or cable TV series with Stephen Seagal being the Minister of Island Defense & make money!!!

So there! Neener-neener.

And we get Stephen Seagal out of the USA, which makes thousands of grateful ‘Mercans send us money to thank us from removing Seagal. More profit.

Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#7]
As dictator, I will be the only one professional enough to own firearms
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#8]
M-4s and M-16s either A1 or A2 is fine.  Whatever foreign aid I could get.

Off the shelf bolt action hunting rifles and scopes would be fine for snipers.

M1911s for sidearms.  Just because.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#9]
INSAS
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
MK18
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is in the interests of the dominant powers not to have uncontrolled territory. Even if you aren't much use as an ally it is in their interest to make sure there is a functioning security force so the island isn't used by terrorists, pirates, or drug cartels. Easily worth a bunch of old M-16A2's and M-9's and a visit from some Special Forces advisors. Especially if you are a relatively benevolent dictator that they can work with.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#12]
No need for a real military for a small island nation.  Gendarmes and a trained civilian militia will make invading us an unattractive option.

I would see about importing some of those Filipino gunsmiths from Danao, set them up in a workshop with some decent metal working machines and the best steel I could afford and issue local made 1911's, shotguns, and submachine guns to my gendarmes.  I would offer subsidized weapons to the population with training offered in the high schools (refresher training for adult on nights and weekends) to give us a decent militia in case of invasion.  Any surplus or production over runs get sold to century arms for importation to the USA.  Profits from that will go to buy higher end weapons for the presidential guard.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

At least I didn’t steal the idea to declare war on the USA, which is the plot of the 1959 Peter Sellers movie, “The Mouse that Roared....”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He got the idea from the Colombian president after WW2 who noticed Colombia had nothing but debt after contributing to the Allied cause while Japan and Germany were getting totally rebuilt.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I become a banking safe haven for corrupt politicians. Suddenly, I can afford better weapons...
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Phased plasma rifles in the 40 watt range.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#16]
So you have a small island, you say.

Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#17]
FX-9

With FMJ ammo,

most of the steel components are hard nitride or nickel plated to reduce problems with salt water spray.

It's inexpensive, more accurate than the average shooter, reliable, and powerful enough to repel pirates, it's not like you will be shooting Polar Bear. Plus it's not overly heavy or loud.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Beretta CX4 carbines in 9mm.
View Quote
You could probably get ak's cheaper
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd give them broomsticks.  Hopefully, that'd convince enough of them to quit and get a capitally productive job to help reduce future pension costs.

And put the savings towards graphite, zirconia, boron, and build some networking contacts in west Africa.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:32:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Whatever is cheapest. They're going to be used against petty criminals at best. I'd consider AKs, G-36s, ARs. Whatever you can get for cheap.

If I were worried about a foreign invasion, I'd invest in anti ship missile batteries and SAMs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:35:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Everyone gets a Mosin, and not a “nice” one either.

We invest the savings in whiskey and whores.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Implement feudal system.
Sell titles, require the 'nobility' equip and train sufficient numbers of troops based on holding size in event of invasion.
Move to Monaco once I get sufficient funds from sales of titles and exploiting the natural resources.
Watch ensuing civil war to become King on YouTube.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:53:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yea Cuba, wtf!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 1:01:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No guns.  I don't want to be assassinated.  
View Quote
This! Why am I arming the peasants with anything but shovels? Toil the fields serfs!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Whatever the US/France/UK/China gives me in foreign aid. I'm not spending my own money on something as useless as small arms.
View Quote
Pretty much this.

The actual defense budget would be spent on SAMs and anti ship missiles.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 1:16:23 AM EDT
[#26]
ETA: Zombies double tapped my post.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 1:20:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I were in the Caribbean I'd float the idea of leasing a harbor and enough land to build an airstrip to the Chinese. That should be enough to scare the U.S. into giving me some fun bucks and bang sticks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 1:20:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Everyone gets a Mosin, and not a “nice” one either.

We invest the savings in whiskey and whores.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 1:22:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yep. your only real resourse is being an unsinkable aircraft carrier.
Hope you're in a strategic location.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Offshore banking.

I'd set myself up as a tax shelter and money laundromat for all the worlds slime balls. Good money to be made in that. I'd do what the Swiss used to.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 1:22:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Unnecessary.  Small arms are the responsibility of the militia.  I'll provide the Bofors covering the beaches.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 2:56:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Steyr AUG
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 2:59:33 AM EDT
[#32]
If Jagged Alliance 2 taught me anything something like an AK which requires low maintenance, and uses common (opposed to something like the AR57 or something) ammo.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:15:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Every country is another vote in UN and popular press. That's how you buy support.
Either they support the USA, or they support China. Depends on who drops the coin.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/12/21/here-7-nations-sided-u-s-and-israel-u-n-vote-over-jerusalem/974098001/
1. Guatemala
2. Honduras
3. Marshall Islands
4. Micronesia
5. Nauru
6. Palau
7. Togo
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:20:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No need for a real military for a small island nation.  Gendarmes and a trained civilian militia will make invading us an unattractive option.

I would see about importing some of those Filipino gunsmiths from Danao, set them up in a workshop with some decent metal working machines and the best steel I could afford and issue local made 1911's, shotguns, and submachine guns to my gendarmes.  I would offer subsidized weapons to the population with training offered in the high schools (refresher training for adult on nights and weekends) to give us a decent militia in case of invasion.  Any surplus or production over runs get sold to century arms for importation to the USA.  Profits from that will go to buy higher end weapons for the presidential guard.
View Quote
I’ll quite happily train people how to shoot and do stuff right up until the check bounced. Then I’d get with the people I trained and take over the island. So, about a month?

My national myth would be how I selflessly volunteered against a fiscally irresponsible government with crazy priorities and returned government to the people.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:40:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you heard of Taiwan?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:40:50 AM EDT
[#36]
FAL
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:41:12 AM EDT
[#37]
M4s in 6.5 Grendel.

Build factory to produce ammo in house. Sell to US customers to pay for all of it, boom done. Next question.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:42:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You did read the part about limited resources
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
KAC SR15
You did read the part about limited resources
Have you heard of the IMF/ World Bank. He just borrowed all he needed for “pineapple aid”.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:46:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
San Cristobal Carbine.
http://www.hungariae.com/img/Cristo2.jpg
Manufactured by Armeria San Cristbal, Dominican Republic, 1950-61Quantity: 200,000 combined with the Modelo 1
Caliber: .30 M1 Carbine, rimless
View Quote
Winner!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:47:16 AM EDT
[#40]
depends on whose offering free stuff
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:00:31 AM EDT
[#41]
I'll make friends with the United States, rely on them for security, and shunt the money into slush funds and personal accounts
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:27:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not so fast...stage too many foreign troops and the island might tip over and capsize!

Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:49:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Rifles that are broken..........that way we have to rifle butt their brains out.

Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:50:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Infantry rifle for the, at most, battalion of infantry on my tiny island nation? AK’s, like Romanian or Bulgarian, parts, and a fuckton of Wolf.

I’d probably shell out for some decent instructors to come train my infantrymen to something better than third world standards. Some Toyota pickups for technicals, budget comms, some old Soviet tanks, some cheap ADA and coastal arty, some light fixed and rotary wing for patrol, etc. Not a lot, because that shit ain’t cheap, unless I leased out my territorial waters for oil and gas exploration...

A small volunteer force for all the heavy lifting, and make every adult citizen of Greentobluania the militia.

After establishing my nation, a system of representative government, and some kind of economy, I’d abdicate my position of power and cede authority to the people.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#45]
What year does this take place?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Surplus G3s can be had for free.

Spend the remaining funds on a few BUK launchers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I become a banking safe haven for corrupt politicians. Suddenly, I can afford better weapons...
View Quote
That would be my plan. Have offshore accounts for anyone who could afford one.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Like Cuba?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#49]
I don't have to answer you. You think that we are Micky Mice?! I am the ruler of nation!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Grand Fenwick forever.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top