BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As gun manufacturing advances, and becomes more automated, the variations between individual examples of a given make and model are decreasing.

Take 50 Sigs 320s made yesterday and a box of ammo. Fire one round from each gun. No one can match each fired bullet to the gun it was fired from.
View Quote

No kidding!  Where did you learn that?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As gun manufacturing advances, and becomes more automated, the variations between individual examples of a given make and model are decreasing.

Take 50 Sigs 320s made yesterday and a box of ammo. Fire one round from each gun. No one can match each fired bullet to the gun it was fired from.

I dated the head of one of the largest crime labs in California.

Rough timeline from memory:

1990s: crime labs realize modern handguns are near impossible to differentiate between guns of same make and model.

2000s: FBI discontinues ballistics matching testimony.

2022: scientific study determines it’s essentially “junk science”

2023: Courts start ruling the evidence/testimony inadmissible
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Last couple years.

https://reason.com/2023/06/22/maryland-supreme-court-limits-testimony-on-bullet-matching-evidence/

Anyone that says they can take 20 fired 147Gn HST bullets fired from 20 different department issued Glocks and match the bullets to a particular gun is a liar
View Quote
I've always wondered about that.

Would have to do a test with multiple guns and bullets and make them prove they can actually match with a respectable degree of accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
So which was the negligence?

1. Shooting the UPS driver on purpose because "we want to and we can."

2. Shooting the UPS driver on purpose because they mistook him for a robber.

3. Shooting the UPS driver by accident while trying to shoot the robber who was shooting at them.

4. Shooting back AT ALL because there was a hostage and other people / motorists around.

What could/should they have done differently? It's important to figure that out, if we want to ensure this doesn't happen again. When this incident is made into a police training film, what is the PROPER response to a truck load of armed robbers firing at police/indiscriminately at passing motorists? We know from Uvalde is ISN'T "just stand behind cover and wait for the bad guy to give up." So what SHOULD they have done?

It's easy to say "they should be in prison!" As of the time I started this post, I haven't seen anybody say, "if I had been there, I would have..... "
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't a driver about 50yards down the road catch a round too?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Would have to do a test with multiple guns and bullets and make them prove they can actually match with a respectable degree of accuracy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last couple years.

https://reason.com/2023/06/22/maryland-supreme-court-limits-testimony-on-bullet-matching-evidence/

Anyone that says they can take 20 fired 147Gn HST bullets fired from 20 different department issued Glocks and match the bullets to a particular gun is a liar

They hedge their bets with answers like inconclusive and probable match too
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

3. Shooting the UPS driver by accident while trying to shoot the robber who was shooting at them.

4. Shooting back AT ALL because there was a hostage and other people / motorists around.

What could/should they have done differently? It's important to figure that out, if we want to ensure this doesn't happen again. When this incident is made into a police training film, what is the PROPER response to a truck load of armed robbers firing at police/indiscriminately at passing motorists? We know from Uvalde is ISN'T "just stand behind cover and wait for the bad guy to give up." So what SHOULD they have done?

It's easy to say "they should be in prison!" As of the time I started this post, I haven't seen anybody say, "if I had been there, I would have..... "
View Quote

Don't fire a single shot while the hostage is present unless you are nearly guaranteed to hit the hostage taker. The hostage didn't sign up for that risk.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Since the UPS driver had an "Edgar" haircut, will the defense attorney bring that up?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't fire a single shot while the hostage is present unless you are nearly guaranteed to hit the hostage taker. The hostage didn't sign up for that risk.
View Quote

I thought in hostage situations, it was SOP to shoot the hostage first.  Then the bad guy has no leverage.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.  Unless a cop is in the military reserves or National Guard, cops are civilians too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
20 officers there, 4 charged? Are they the only ones who fired their guns? Is the prosecution using debunked ballistics matching to try to say they know which guns fired the fatal bullets?

Probably, their guns matched ballistics with the two dead civilianscitizens.

Fixed it for you.  Unless a cop is in the military reserves or National Guard, cops are civilians too.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I dated the head of one of the largest crime labs in California.

Rough timeline from memory:

1990s: crime labs realize modern handguns are near impossible to differentiate between guns of same make and model.

2000s: FBI discontinues ballistics matching testimony.

2022: scientific study determines it’s essentially “junk science”

2023: Courts start ruling the evidence/testimony inadmissible
View Quote

It is tool marking. You know that right?

Polygonal barrels are different. I am 100% in agreement SOLELY because their markings are inconsistent and not deep enough. When looking at actual rifling, the marks are very easy to identify. 2 brand new rifled guns will mark the rounds differently.

But let's look at the info you are spewing-
1990s... ya, know. Improvements in microscopes has INCREASE likelihood of identifying unique markings
2000s... FBI stopped providing a specific type and you are wrong on it being ballistic comparison. What they stopped was a content based analysis of ammunition. You knew that right? What metals that are in the rounds and comparing them to what the suspect had.
2022- What scientific study? It is tool marking. The closer the sample from the scene to the testing of the item, the more likely there will not be additional wear to ruin the chance for a match. It is really easy to see the markings and I am sure you can even see the similarities with your own eyes.
2023- Where is it inadmissible? Our state and federal cases use it frequently without an issue and I would love to read the case law you know about.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:07:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not defending what the officers did. Firstly, because they were Dade county officers and the shootout happened in Broward. But in this state, if a bystander gets hit by a round, it's normally the perp who is charged with the crime. That would be the armed robbers.

Secondly, I think there's a little Helsinki going on here. The driver's fist day on the job, filling in for someone else. He exited the vehicle with something in his hand, and the officers who shot him were taking fire at the same time. I believe it was the scanner gun, that is used to scan packages.

Lastly, FWIW, they couldn't see the other person who was shot. There was a big brown truck in the way, and they were under fire.

Yeah, the whole deal sucks, but the robbers chose the time and place for it to go down that way. Everyone thinks the shootout from HEAT is the bees knees, and innocent people getting caught in the crossfire is a fact of life. In Dade county, no one would even raise an eyebrow to this. It's pretty much the way it is
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not defending what the officers did. Firstly, because they were Dade county officers and the shootout happened in Broward. But in this state, if a bystander gets hit by a round, it's normally the perp who is charged with the crime. That would be the armed robbers.

Secondly, I think there's a little Helsinki going on here. The driver's fist day on the job, filling in for someone else. He exited the vehicle with something in his hand, and the officers who shot him were taking fire at the same time. I believe it was the scanner gun, that is used to scan packages.

Lastly, FWIW, they couldn't see the other person who was shot. There was a big brown truck in the way, and they were under fire.

Yeah, the whole deal sucks, but the robbers chose the time and place for it to go down that way. Everyone thinks the shootout from HEAT is the bees knees, and innocent people getting caught in the crossfire is a fact of life. In Dade county, no one would even raise an eyebrow to this. It's pretty much the way it is
View Quote

It’s a diad and nothing like a gun. Think of a slightly larger cellphone.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#15]
will be interesting to see where this goes -- trying to convict specific officers of specific results / cause of death

i agree the police response was egregious -- apparently over 150 rds fired.  'know your target and what is beyond'

but i also think getting convictions is going to be difficult -- but i'm no lawyer
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The circular firing squad and killing the hostage are a case of sometimes you get handed a shit sandwich with a side of shit and a free shit appetizer. In those situations you do the best you can and it probably isn't going to be good enough.

What I find completely damning is the part where they took cover behind random innocents. Anyone remember the comic illustrating the difference between US trooos and goatfuckers? The one where the goatfucker is hiding behind a woman and child while the soldier is in front of a woman and child protecting them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

will be interesting to see where this goes -- trying to convict specific officers of specific results / cause of death

i agree the police response was egregious -- apparently over 150 rds fired.  'know your target and what is beyond'

but i also think getting convictions is going to be difficult -- but i'm no lawyer
View Quote

Of course it’s going to be difficult.  “Good cops” will show up and testify for the defense saying that this is in line with what reasonable officers will do.  Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone here says that because 20 cops were involved it must be reasonable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#18]
The driver, Frank Ordonez, had already been shot at least once when he tried to flee the van.  His chest was on the pavement, arms at his side, feet still in the vehicle.  He was continuously shot.  I am trying to find the uncensorted video, but it appears everything has been taken down or blurred.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm not defending what the officers did. Firstly, because they were Dade county officers and the shootout happened in Broward?But in this state, if a bystander gets hit by a round, it's normally the perp who is charged with the crime. That would be the armed robbers.

View Quote

What’s your take on this?  The initial robbery/shooting at the jewelry store was in Coral Gables (Dade).  The UPS car jacking occurred in Dade.  They fled north on 75 into Broward.  Fresh pursuit is both legal and common in Florida.  Jurisdiction lines don’t necessarily apply in an incident like this.  However, I find it curious that the counties are two different judicial circuits.  Broward, where the shooting occurred only charged Dade officers.  Miramar and Pembroke Pines officers, both Broward agencies, were also involved.  Were they able to eliminate any of the rounds from those officers?  There might be some politics at play with where blame is being cast.  FDLE gave Broward the results of the investigation several years ago and they are just now acting, sparing their own officers from charges.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It’s crazy that they ever could. Why would 500 Glock 17 barrels rifled tomorrow be noticeably different in the rifling?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh wow! I had no idea. I thought each gun's bbl was unique because even when using the same rifling reamer there will be unique, individual artifacts from the process.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0379073818306893?via%3Dihub

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/04/08/miami-glock-barrels/

https://www.policechiefmagazine.org/the-miami-barrel/

Thank you. I had no idea that polygonal was difficult to identify.

damn. That's crazy how tight the manufacturing tolerances have gotten then. Never in my life would I think tha twe couldn't trace a round to a bbl.

It’s crazy that they ever could. Why would 500 Glock 17 barrels rifled tomorrow be noticeably different in the rifling?

Wear on the tooling?
Roy
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wear on the tooling?
Roy
View Quote

if you are having noticeable tool wear to that degree across only 500 barrels it is time to either fire your machine operators or sue the tool manufacturer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

if you are having noticeable tool wear to that degree across only 500 barrels it is time to either fire your machine operators or sue the tool manufacturer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wear on the tooling?
Roy

Is tool wear steady/constant or accelerated/progressive?  Serious question.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The circular firing squad and killing the hostage are a case of sometimes you get handed a shit sandwich with a side of shit and a free shit appetizer. In those situations you do the best you can and it probably isn't going to be good enough.

What I find completely damning is the part where they took cover behind random innocents. Anyone remember the comic illustrating the difference between US trooos and goatfuckers? The one where the goatfucker is hiding behind a woman and child while the soldier is in front of a woman and child protecting them.
View Quote

Every damn time there is a shooting cops take cover behind occupied vehicles..
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Last couple years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
20 officers there, 4 charged? Are they the only ones who fired their guns? Is the prosecution using debunked ballistics matching to try to say they know which guns fired the fatal bullets?

Probably, their guns matched ballistics with the two dead civilians.

Except thats junk science

Pardon my ignorance, but when was that determined?

Last couple years.

That's rumored to be the reason for the Glock Marksman barrel to have some conventional rifling.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#25]
That sub-human monster got off after killing Daniel Shaver. This isn't quite as bad as that case so I suspect none of these four will see a day in the can.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That sub-human monster got off after killing Daniel Shaver. This isn't quite as bad as that case so I suspect none of these four will see a day in the can.
View Quote
And that murderer got to ''retire'' with a medical pension of $2500 a month.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Screen names of indicated cops??
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly, due to demographics, politics, and generational trends, the average cop on the street in 2024 appears to be a coward.

There are too many incidences of officers acting out of obvious fear, panic, and blatant disregard these days.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Screen names of indicated cops??
View Quote

??????
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Brailsford shot Shaver once IIRC.
Frank Ordonez got lit the fuck up, fell down with his arms outstretched in continuing surrender, and got lit the fuck up some more, and some more for good measure. I'm not sure it's less bad than Shaver. It's less prosecutable than the Shaver murder, because we don't have a video proving who shot Ordonez and because it happened during a legitimate gunfight.

Quoted:
And that murderer got to ''retire'' with a medical pension of $2500 a month.

Brailsford only got $30k/yr? I assumed it was worse/more than that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I think it's fair for the murderers to get out of prison when the victims come back to life.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sadly, due to demographics, politics, and generational trends, the average cop on the street in 2024 appears to be a coward is unionized armed-unskilled labor

View Quote

FIFY - The puzzling thing is the number of out of State LEO's who uncork their tampons to defend their pride flag like it's something the founders would have endorsed.

Imagine if someone like FreefallRet or 18B50 started T-Bagging posters for not understanding how hard MAJ Hassan's job was because he was a Soldier and they aren't.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats easy.  .    .

Ever see those big magnets on the end of a crane in scrap yards?
Just attach one of those to a cargo sized helicopter.
It flys over and attaches to the roof of any perps car and plucks it right up in the air out of traffic and flys it to the closest police impound yard.

Easy peasy.

Our politicians really  need to think outside the box.

Geeeese .
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

RIP fellow Tool fan.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did anyone tell the robbers/kidnappers not to shot at the cops? Do you think they would have left the hostage go unharmed?

We live in the Lone Ranger universe. Good guys shot the guns out of bad guys hands without hurting them. The bad guys shoot hundreds or even thousands of rounds at cops and never hit them. I don’t like the loss of innocent life. Based on the fact they were taking fire, I support the police. The prosecution is nothing but anti police persecution.

Somebody said any court judgements should come out of the police pension fund. How would that work? There is a contract selling out how pensions are paid. You can’t reduce their pensions without violating the contract. Illinois has a constitutional requirement to pay public pensions even if they cannot pay for basic services. If you were able to defund the pensions, who would take the job?

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The prosecution is nothing but anti police persecution.
View Quote

A year after the Parkland school shooting?

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What’s your take on this?  The initial robbery/shooting at the jewelry store was in Coral Gables (Dade).  The UPS car jacking occurred in Dade.  They fled north on 75 into Broward.  Fresh pursuit is both legal and common in Florida.  Jurisdiction lines don’t necessarily apply in an incident like this.  However, I find it curious that the counties are two different judicial circuits.  Broward, where the shooting occurred only charged Dade officers.  Miramar and Pembroke Pines officers, both Broward agencies, were also involved.  Were they able to eliminate any of the rounds from those officers?  There might be some politics at play with where blame is being cast.  FDLE gave Broward the results of the investigation several years ago and they are just now acting, sparing their own officers from charges.
View Quote

Sounds about right. Broward had their Sheriff removed after Parkland. The guy they put in his place had wn undisclosed murder case from when he was a juvenile, and he is still Sheriff.

Course, everything is just hunky dorey. IDK if any of the other agencies actually fired their weapons. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wear on the tooling?

Roy
View Quote

The problem is the same Mandrel can last for 10K barrels (or more) with little to no perceptable wear - especially with the soft curves of polygonal rifling. There is no cutting involved with a CHF barrel and the product turned out by those Austrian machines is crazy consistent.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Did anyone tell the robbers/kidnappers not to shot at the cops? Do you think they would have left the hostage go unharmed?

We live in the Lone Ranger universe. Good guys shot the guns out of bad guys hands without hurting them. The bad guys shoot hundreds or even thousands of rounds at cops and never hit them. I don't like the loss of innocent life. Based on the fact they were taking fire, I support the police. The prosecution is nothing but anti police persecution.

Somebody said any court judgements should come out of the police pension fund. How would that work? There is a contract selling out how pensions are paid. You can't reduce their pensions without violating the contract. Illinois has a constitutional requirement to pay public pensions even if they cannot pay for basic services. If you were able to defund the pensions, who would take the job?

View Quote
That job comes with risks.  You take the job, you accept the risk.  You don't get to hid behind innocent people and mag dump on a hostage.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top