Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The Women's Therapeutic Residential Center (WTRC) is a time building prison with a mission to provide a healthy, safe and secure environment within which gender responsive treatment, educational services, career development and reentry services focus on changing criminal behavior.  The facility is operated at the West Tennessee State Penitentiary, Site 1.  WTRC is a modified women's therapeutic residential community behavioral model program that serves female offenders.  It is a highly structured environment where peer interaction mediated through a variety of group processes is emphasized as the medium for change.

https://tn.gov/correction/article/tdoc-womens-therapeutic-residential-center

Women's Therapeutic Residential Center
480 Green Chapel Road
P.O. Box 1150
Henning, Tennessee 38041-1150
(Lauderdale County)
(731) 738-5044

*Use P.O. Box 1150 for inmate correspondence.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
New Women’s Therapeutic Residential Center aims to help inmates reclaim lives

November 14, 2016  by  Amber Hughes  

LAUDERDALE COUNTY, Tenn. — With more than 21,000 state prisoners across Tennessee and the female population doubling over the last 15 years, the Tennessee Department of Correction is experimenting with new programs.

WBBJ 7 Eyewitness News was the first news crew granted access the new Women’s Therapeutic Residential Center in West Tennessee.

Behind the locked doors and barbed wire of the West Tennessee State Penitentiary in Henning, female offenders are embracing new programs designed to keep them out of trouble.

“90 percent of our offenders will return to the communities in which they come from, so it is our duty to provide them with the necessary tools that they need to be successful,” Warden Trinity Minter said.

The Women’s Therapeutic Residential Center opened in August, focusing on instilling practical skills not available in traditional prisons.

“They have more programs here that’ll be able to get a real job outside of here,” Samantha Lewis, an inmate, said.

“There’s a lot to do,” said Shibhan Skeeter, also an inmate. “It doesn’t even feel like you’re in prison, honestly. It really doesn’t.”

Beyond group substance abuse programs, inmates with a proven record of good behavior can spend time in the kitchen, computer lab, wood shop or hair salon, or even earn their GED.

The women said they have benefited from programs putting an emphasis on rebuilding families and broken relationships.

“You know when you speak to your family and you have interaction with your support system on the outside, it makes your time so much easier as well,” Skeeter said.

Inmates have access to technology with funds from their commissary fund. They can use kiosks for video visitations and even buy tablets for emailing family members.

Proponents said research shows this type of approach to rehabilitating inmates, not just punishing them, has proven results.

“I think it will keep a lot of people from coming back because they are going to be prepared to live the proper way,” Lewis said.

“We’re going to be a model that other states will follow,” Warden Minter said. “We are doing some good things at this facility that is really going to be inspiring to other correctional agencies.”

http://www.wbbjtv.com/2016/11/14/new-womens-therapeutic-residential-center-aims-help-inmates-reclaim-lives/
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check the Yelp reviews.

They’re always right.
View Quote
Only one review

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First to Review

Swung by this nice looking facility on my way to Fort Pillow. I must say, they maintain there yard very well. Nice green grass, no doubt the tears of the prisoners are keeping it well watered. Very nice looking fences, very shiny and very tall for some weird reason. I'm not sure why they insist on putting barbed wire fencing up, who would want to leave this 5 star hotel. Tons of room to expand by the looks of the acreage they have. I would almost visit this place if I wasn't such an outstanding law abiding citizen.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have watched many internet documentaries about what life is like inside womens' prisons. It always looks like a pretty fun time to me, especially for the few male guards.
View Quote
Oh my god
I had to read your post twice. I took it seriously the first time and had the face. Then got the joke
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
There are several of us here that live in the Memphis area. You might be able to get someone to go "visit" her.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Only one review

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First to Review

Swung by this nice looking facility on my way to Fort Pillow. I must say, they maintain there yard very well. Nice green grass, no doubt the tears of the prisoners are keeping it well watered. Very nice looking fences, very shiny and very tall for some weird reason. I'm not sure why they insist on putting barbed wire fencing up, who would want to leave this 5 star hotel. Tons of room to expand by the looks of the acreage they have. I would almost visit this place if I wasn't such an outstanding law abiding citizen.
View Quote
beautiful
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OPs name + thread title

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If it's anything like the women's block in the county facility I worked in, fucking gross
View Quote
Yep, pretty much, a nasty combination of coco-butter, state issued soap, and stinking pussy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yep, pretty much, a nasty combination of coco-butter, state issued soap, and stinking pussy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it's anything like the women's block in the county facility I worked in, fucking gross
Damn. That's pretty detailed. I can almost imagine it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  New Women’s Therapeutic Residential Center aims to help inmates reclaim lives

November 14, 2016  by  Amber Hughes  

http://images.wbbjtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/WTRC-sweeps.png

LAUDERDALE COUNTY, Tenn. — With more than 21,000 state prisoners across Tennessee and the female population doubling over the last 15 years, the Tennessee Department of Correction is experimenting with new programs.

WBBJ 7 Eyewitness News was the first news crew granted access the new Women’s Therapeutic Residential Center in West Tennessee.

Behind the locked doors and barbed wire of the West Tennessee State Penitentiary in Henning, female offenders are embracing new programs designed to keep them out of trouble.

“90 percent of our offenders will return to the communities in which they come from, so it is our duty to provide them with the necessary tools that they need to be successful,” Warden Trinity Minter said.

The Women’s Therapeutic Residential Center opened in August, focusing on instilling practical skills not available in traditional prisons.

“They have more programs here that’ll be able to get a real job outside of here,” Samantha Lewis, an inmate, said.

“There’s a lot to do,” said Shibhan Skeeter, also an inmate. “It doesn’t even feel like you’re in prison, honestly. It really doesn’t.”

Beyond group substance abuse programs, inmates with a proven record of good behavior can spend time in the kitchen, computer lab, wood shop or hair salon, or even earn their GED.

The women said they have benefited from programs putting an emphasis on rebuilding families and broken relationships.

“You know when you speak to your family and you have interaction with your support system on the outside, it makes your time so much easier as well,” Skeeter said.

Inmates have access to technology with funds from their commissary fund. They can use kiosks for video visitations and even buy tablets for emailing family members.

Proponents said research shows this type of approach to rehabilitating inmates, not just punishing them, has proven results.

“I think it will keep a lot of people from coming back because they are going to be prepared to live the proper way,” Lewis said.

“We’re going to be a model that other states will follow,” Warden Minter said. “We are doing some good things at this facility that is really going to be inspiring to other correctional agencies.”

http://www.wbbjtv.com/2016/11/14/new-womens-therapeutic-residential-center-aims-help-inmates-reclaim-lives/
View Quote
I have thought for some time felons should be sentenced to a rather difficult educational achievement.

Burglary = GED

Arson = Bachelor's degree in Swahilli

Murder = Double PhD in undersea sulphur-based molecular biology and pre-Ottoman Turkish
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top