Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have spent a few hundred on an assortment of junk and ASE's and Canadian maple leafs just to have because you never know. I don't think its a bad idea and doesn't cost much. If I never need them, so be it. If I do, at least I have something.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why buy junk silver coins when you can just get bars and rounds and not have to screw with figuring out silver weight in a bag of junk silver? What makes eagles a good investment compared to generic rounds? In trying to understand why people invest in the different forms of silver.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm trying to understand what you're asking.
Why buy junk silver coins when you can just get bars and rounds and not have to screw with figuring out silver weight in a bag of junk silver? What makes eagles a good investment compared to generic rounds? In trying to understand why people invest in the different forms of silver.  

Eagles are dangerous investment.  Sooner or later, the paper fiat scheme is going to cave in and the gov;t is going  to demand its gold back. to increase its hard currency supply  I know this because this is exactly what happened under FDR during the depression and they're almost certainly going to fall back on the idea when the economy collapses.  The gov't will make gold illegal to own and they'll force you to sell it to them in exchange for the very paper money you didn't want.  The Supreme Court already ruled it to be constitutional back in the 30's. and the MSM will castigate you as an unpatriotic selfish bastard who kicks pregnant dogs for not surrendering your gold and accepting your sacrifice.

The only gold that's safe to keep is the gold that have value over and above simply being gold.  They're not going to confiscate 2000 year old Roman gold coins or those 1911 Indian Heads.  THOSE are the coins safe to buy, because the older they get, the more valuable they become.  Granted, you can keep your mouth shut and keep your Eagles, but you won't be able to trade them in commerce because you won't legally be able to own them to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#3]
No, no. My Eagles came from the mint that way. Instead of a brilliant background they have a brushed look.
The silver eagles pictured are what they call proof coins they have a very shiny finish and are alot more money then the music ones you have.

The silver eagles pictured above are what they call proof coins with a shiney polished finish they are alot more expensive the  the ones you have just for silver value these are for collectors
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No, no. My Eagles came from the mint that way. Instead of a brilliant background they have a brushed look.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the benefit of buying either? In trying to understand the silver game a little better.

This is completely my opinion only, but I would advise buying readily identifiable 1 ounce silver coins such as:

1) American Silver Eagles

These are easily identifiable and the 1 oz. is a convenient size.  It comes in 20-coin tubes if you want larger quantities.  Very clean.  
You are paying a premium for these over their silver content, but I think it is worth it because they are so easily identifiable.  These have zero numismatic value and should
only be bought for their silver content.  These have 99.9% (0.999) silver as do most standard pure silver coins.

http://americansilvereagles.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/American-Silver-Eagle-Proof-Coin.jpg

2) Royal Canadian Mint Silver Maple Leafs

These are easily identifiable and the 1 oz. is a convenient size.  It comes in 20 coin tubes if you want larger quantities.  Very clean.  
You are paying a slight premium for these over their silver content spot price, but I think it is worth it because they are so easily identifiable.  These have zero numismatic value and should only be bought for their silver content.  These are slightly more pure at 99.99% silver (0.9999).

http://www.cashforgoldjewelers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/2013_silver_maple_leaf_bs.jpg

The Perth Mint and the Austrian Mint Silver Philharmonics are also worth mentioning.  I don't trust China so I would personally avoid anything from there.  Buying from a reputable dealer is a must.

Again, this is IMHO only.

What's the difference between those shiny silver eagles and the dull ones that I bought? Same year (08 ) and everything.

Silver does not oxidize with oxygen, but it does react with many sulfur compounds in the air to produce silver sulfide, Ag2S which is black.  

http://blog.goldeneaglecoin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/silver-forks-tarnish-gradient.jpg

http://www.kathryngreeleydesigns.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/tarnished-tea-pot1.jpg

It does not alter the silver content value of your coins and I would not try to clean the tarnish off.  If you keep silver sealed inside plastic or plastic tubes, it does help protect it from tarnishing.  

For collectable coins, you do want to keep them in a sealed container.

The ones in the picture look like proof coins. the ones you have are probably business strikes. Or they could be the burnished coins from the west point mint

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think, if you study history, you will find PM useless for the slide down and the bottoming out of a culture, it may start to have some value when people are clawing their way back up, but by that time you will either be have been relieved of it, or your heirs used to to prop up the crumbling foundation of their mud hut.

View Quote

I'm not sure what you mean by implying that PMs have no value.   Historically they have thousands of years of value and modern fiat currency hasn't erased that.  During the hyper-inflation of post WW I Austria, PMs could and did buy things.  Their paper krone on the other hand lost value.  Austrian Anna Eisenmenger mentioned in her diary how she failed to follow a suggestion to exchange her knore for US dollars, Swiss francs or gold and she would have been much better had she followed that suggestion.  In Zimbabwe, starving Zimbabweans panned or dug for gold with which they bought bread.  Here in America, the Confederates of 1865 could buy more with pre-war gold coins than they could with paper Confederate currency.  Even further back in time during the Revoluton's paper Continental  wasn't as readily accepted as Spanish silver.  

As for the comment "relieved of it", there is a possibility of .gov confiscation.  Then again, under a national emergency, E.O. 13603 allows los federales to confiscate the gas in your truck,your truck, your kid's go cart, your guns and ammo, the sugar in your cupboard, prok chops in your refrigerator and the cotton in your socks or anything they deem necessary for the national defense.  Heck, they could tell you as a civil servant that you're taking orders from Washington now.  However, unlike 1933 when the nation was on a PM standard, the is no gold certificate in circulation (back then the Fed Res issued more gold certificates than they had gold).  Secondly, modern Americans are less trusting and less likely to comply with any EO that confiscates their PMs.  Third, fewer than 1% of all Americans even own the stuff. It's probably not worth the effort since there isn't much gold around (most Americans of their own volition cashed out on their gold at those We Buy Gold stores).  Now, if you mean that PMs could be stolen by burglars, that's why some store it overseas in foreign vaults and out of reach of the government.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The silver eagles pictured are what they call proof coins they have a very shiny finish and are alot more money then the music ones you have.

The silver eagles pictured above are what they call proof coins with a shiney polished finish they are alot more expensive the  the ones you have just for silver value these are for collectors
View Quote

Ah, ok. Thanks. I haven't seen the proof coins anywhere around here.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#8]

The ones in the picture look like proof coins. the ones you have are probably business strikes. Or they could be the burnished coins from the west point mint

I can't remember where I ordered them from. I think I got them with my 32 character sheet of 2 dollar bills back in '08.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]
When my father was looking into it he discovered that a bill was added to the healthcare law requiring that bullion must be reported to the IRS. Junk silver, being considered US currency, does not fall under this requirement.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When my father was looking into it he discovered that a bill was added to the healthcare law requiring that bullion must be reported to the IRS. Junk silver, being considered US currency, does not fall under this requirement.
View Quote

Yeah, not complying with that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A roll of quarters will always be worth at least $10 no matter what the price of sliver does.

Is that thinking silly? Maybe.
View Quote
I bought two rolls of quarters at an online auction that were clearly marked pre 64 in pen on each for face value + the auction fee. At the time a quarter was worth $3.50 or so each.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I bought two rolls of quarters at an online auction that were clearly marked pre 64 in pen on each for face value + the auction fee. At the time a quarter was worth $3.50 or so each.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A roll of quarters will always be worth at least $10 no matter what the price of sliver does.

But, for those people who say that junk silver coins are better for shtf how do you convince them that it's not just a quarter? I think that if few people understand what silver bars are, even fewer are going to understand that a junk silver quarter isn't just a quarter...
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In going to try and clarify. I have a choice of a 10 oz silver content bag of junk quarters, 10 1 oz bars, and 10 1 oz eagles. What is the benefit of each one? What are the drawbacks?
View Quote

Personally I like rounds or Bars.

The problem with eagles is you pay a good premium over spot buying them for the Nuerismic value added but when you need to sell most buyers esp dealers will only offer you spot or spot minus....

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Eagles are dangerous investment.  Sooner or later, the paper fiat scheme is going to cave in and the gov;t is going  to demand its gold back. to increase its hard currency supply  I know this because this is exactly what happened under FDR during the depression and they're almost certainly going to fall back on the idea when the economy collapses.  The gov't will make gold illegal to own and they'll force you to sell it to them in exchange for the very paper money you didn't want.  The Supreme Court already ruled it to be constitutional back in the 30's. and the MSM will castigate you as an unpatriotic selfish bastard who kicks pregnant dogs for not surrendering your gold and accepting your sacrifice.

The only gold that's safe to keep is the gold that have value over and above simply being gold.  They're not going to confiscate 2000 year old Roman gold coins or those 1911 Indian Heads.  THOSE are the coins safe to buy, because the older they get, the more valuable they become.  Granted, you can keep your mouth shut and keep your Eagles, but you won't be able to trade them in commerce because you won't legally be able to own them to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm trying to understand what you're asking.

No.

The reason FDR confiscated the gold then was to have all of it in gov't hands when the changed the dollar's value from $20/oz to $35/oz.  They needed that instant profit to pay off debts, the Treasury was essentially broke at the time.  We're not on the gold standard any more so there's no reason to do this today.  Instead we get unending QE.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
But, for those people who say that junk silver coins are better for shtf how do you convince them that it's not just a quarter? I think that if few people understand what silver bars are, even fewer are going to understand that a junk silver quarter isn't just a quarter...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In modern America your worries are likely founded. After SHTF the answer will be no problems. Silver coins are readily identifiable and the peons will learn that they have value quickly. The people who have the goods you want to trade for will know what they are, I promise. Gold and silver will be the only way to transfer any amount of wealth from one place to another over any distance.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes me want to go out and buy some bullion inorder to fuck with them..........FBHO.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I would buy junk silver because it is very difficult to counterfeit, and represents a known and agreed amount of silver.  Bars and rounds and good, but could be faked. Silver is not as valuable as gold, and probably isn't worth the effort to manipulate bullion weights, but it wouldn't be practical with silver at all.  Junk silver would be an excellent medium for transactions when regular money collapses.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Makes me want to go out and buy some bullion inorder to fuck with them..........FBHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if I remember right it may be the seller that reports it.

I think the guy at Merit was the one that told him.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Some people buy junk silver as a hedge mostly to be used as a barter tool for SHTF. Those people..

If you want to buy silver, but it in bars or rounds from a reputable company.
View Quote

If the .Gov confiscates gold and silver again they will more than likely leave coin collections alone.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:37:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I guess he has to report who bought it and when right? ........fuck them, they want my property they know where I am.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't Merit one of the vendors that discredited themselves and folded?  They couldn't make delivery and were using tomorrow's purchases to pay for yesterday purchaser's coin.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Which junk silver is the best buy? I started buying mercury dimes for no other reason than I like them and want some around. I have silver bars on the way and will probably grab some eagles just to have but not many.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

There's NO requirement to report bullion sales in Obamacare.  

IIRC, there was a requirement to provide a 1099 for sales transactions over ~$600 (bullion, ebay, lawnmowers, whatever...), but that was repealed by Congress.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If the .Gov confiscates gold and silver again they will more than likely leave coin collections alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some people buy junk silver as a hedge mostly to be used as a barter tool for SHTF. Those people..

If you want to buy silver, but it in bars or rounds from a reputable company.

+1

Another reason I like junk silver.  If the gubbment goes after people for collecting coins, they would be going after a lot of kids.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what you mean by implying that PMs have no value.   Historically they have thousands of years of value and modern fiat currency hasn't erased that.  During the hyper-inflation of post WW I Austria, PMs could and did buy things.  Their paper krone on the other hand lost value.  Austrian Anna Eisenmenger mentioned in her diary how she failed to follow a suggestion to exchange her knore for US dollars, Swiss francs or gold and she would have been much better had she followed that suggestion.  In Zimbabwe, starving Zimbabweans panned or dug for gold with which they bought bread.  Here in America, the Confederates of 1865 could buy more with pre-war gold coins than they could with paper Confederate currency.  Even further back in time during the Revoluton's paper Continental  wasn't as readily accepted as Spanish silver.  

As for the comment "relieved of it", there is a possibility of .gov confiscation.  Then again, under a national emergency, E.O. 13603 allows los federales to confiscate the gas in your truck,your truck, your kid's go cart, your guns and ammo, the sugar in your cupboard, prok chops in your refrigerator and the cotton in your socks or anything they deem necessary for the national defense.  Heck, they could tell you as a civil servant that you're taking orders from Washington now.  However, unlike 1933 when the nation was on a PM standard, the is no gold certificate in circulation (back then the Fed Res issued more gold certificates than they had gold).  Secondly, modern Americans are less trusting and less likely to comply with any EO that confiscates their PMs.  Third, fewer than 1% of all Americans even own the stuff. It's probably not worth the effort since there isn't much gold around (most Americans of their own volition cashed out on their gold at those We Buy Gold stores).  Now, if you mean that PMs could be stolen by burglars, that's why some store it overseas in foreign vaults and out of reach of the government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think, if you study history, you will find PM useless for the slide down and the bottoming out of a culture, it may start to have some value when people are clawing their way back up, but by that time you will either be have been relieved of it, or your heirs used to to prop up the crumbling foundation of their mud hut.

All of the history you are quoting comes fomra time when using gold or silver as a monetary unit was common.  Today, unless you find another 50-60 year old white male who happens to collect PM's also, you will find less people willing to take your shiny metal for their commodity item.  Do you think Shaniqua is going beleive you that your gold chain is actually real gold?

We have been so removed from using actual PM's as a monetary unit, I just do not see them be accepted.  YMMV though, if so, have at it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In modern America your worries are likely founded. After SHTF the answer will be no problems. Silver coins are readily identifiable and the peons will learn that they have value quickly. The people who have the goods you want to trade for will know what they are, I promise. Gold and silver will be the only way to transfer any amount of wealth from one place to another over any distance.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe 5 years after a collapse, but there are a whole bunch of days between then and when the dollar has devalued to fill your stomach with something that shiny metals will not be able to buy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Maybe 5 years after a collapse, but there are a whole bunch of days between then and when the dollar has devalued to fill your stomach with something that shiny metals will not be able to buy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is pure speculation on your part and it is pretty narrow minded to think that those of us who buy silver don't also buy food and guns etc...
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I buy them so I can make these:

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#31]

That's pretty damn neat.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top