Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The slick finish ones are in stock right now. Finally got an order in.

If you are using Brave as a browser and having trouble processing your order, turn the shields off. The blocker was interfering with PSA’s secure checkout system.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How far back do the PSA mags hold the cartridge compared to OEM mags? The reliability issues that many experienced with Shield Arms mags is largely attributed to the fact that they hold the rounds much further back in the gun. Just wondering how these compare.
View Quote

Anybody?  I thought this was a review thread….
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#3]
@Gimmelibertee I don’t really understand what you are asking.

With mag inserted to the gun?
Side by side comparison?

I don’t have calipers so here is a pic of them with a 124 grain HST in them.

Top to bottom:
OEM
PSA slick
PSA regular
Shield gen 2
Shield gen 3

Not sure if this helps or not.

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
@Gimmelibertee I don’t really understand what you are asking.

With mag inserted to the gun?
Side by side comparison?

I don’t have calipers so here is a pic of them with a 124 grain HST in them.

Top to bottom:
OEM
PSA slick
PSA regular
Shield gen 2
Shield gen 3

Not sure if this helps or not.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125824/IMG_0343-2878059.jpg
View Quote

A picture in the gun, slide locked back is what he is asking for. We compared Shield mags in another thread before. I dont have PSA mags to take photos of
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#5]
OEM
PSA
Shield gen 2
Shield gen 3

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A picture in the gun, slide locked back is what he is asking for. We compared Shield mags in another thread before. I dont have PSA mags to take photos of
View Quote

I have a 43x, 48, and OEM, shield, and PSA mags.  I know i have some of the very first shield mags released from the preorder, and then 2 more batches of them from fall and winter 2020.  No clue what all generations those are.  My guns dont have any trouble with any of the OEM or shield mags.  I haven't made it to the range to try out the PSA ones.

Putting a round in one of each brand mags and inserting them into the stripped frames, i can't tell much difference with the naked eye.  Depending on how I hold the camera, it can make it look like any of the different guns is holding the round a little different than the others.  Its hard to take a picture of both guns at once and get a decent angle on both of them for a fair comparison.  

With my eyeball alone, i think all 3 mags are holding the round about the same spot fore and aft.  I had to pull out the calipers to measure to be able to tell the difference.  With all the mags, there is room to move the top of the mag forwards and backwards while it is inserted into the gun with a live round.  And wherever I move it to, it'll stay put.  Furthermore, the ejector pushing on the round forces it to sit a little counterclockwise when view from above.  That makes it a little more complicated to measure how far forward and backward the round is sitting, since the number will change depending on where along the back edge of the round you measure it.  So there's a range of locations the round can be in for each mag.  Out of the 3 mags, the OEM mag is the one that allows the round to sit furthest back, even compared to the gen1 shield mag.

The big difference i measure is in the angle.  I clamped my frame to a table.  Then insert the OEM mag with a round in it.  Then stuck my angle gauge to the round and zeroed it out.  I eject the mag, insert the PSA mag, and check with the angle gauge.  The PSA mag holds the thing rotated 0.6° with tip upwards as compared to the OEM mag.  Then insert the shield gen1 mag, and the angle gauge says that one has the round tilted up 3.0°.  Then Inserted the OEM mag and my angle gauge goes back to 0°.  This thing does 0.15° increments, so there's some margin of error.  

I'm sure there's some margin of tolerance across the OEM mags and across the shield ones and the PSA ones.   Its hard to make any sort of blanket statements comparing them when you only look at a small sample size.  But at least for the ones I looked at, the PSA mags held the round more closely to the OEM feed angle.  And all 3 mags held the rounds in about the same space front to back.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Great observation & summation @giantpune Appreciate the report.

And thanks for the pics @naes Appreciate your time as well.

I was able to snag a PSA slicky yesterday. I only ordered one, didn't want to hog & hoard. If it works out as it should, I grab 2 more. That should suffice.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have a 43x, 48, and OEM, shield, and PSA mags.  I know i have some of the very first shield mags released from the preorder, and then 2 more batches of them from fall and winter 2020.  No clue what all generations those are.  My guns dont have any trouble with any of the OEM or shield mags.  I haven't made it to the range to try out the PSA ones.

Putting a round in one of each brand mags and inserting them into the stripped frames, i can't tell much difference with the naked eye.  Depending on how I hold the camera, it can make it look like any of the different guns is holding the round a little different than the others.  Its hard to take a picture of both guns at once and get a decent angle on both of them for a fair comparison.  

With my eyeball alone, i think all 3 mags are holding the round about the same spot fore and aft.  I had to pull out the calipers to measure to be able to tell the difference.  With all the mags, there is room to move the top of the mag forwards and backwards while it is inserted into the gun with a live round.  And wherever I move it to, it'll stay put.  Furthermore, the ejector pushing on the round forces it to sit a little counterclockwise when view from above.  That makes it a little more complicated to measure how far forward and backward the round is sitting, since the number will change depending on where along the back edge of the round you measure it.  So there's a range of locations the round can be in for each mag.  Out of the 3 mags, the OEM mag is the one that allows the round to sit furthest back, even compared to the gen1 shield mag.

The big difference i measure is in the angle.  I clamped my frame to a table.  Then insert the OEM mag with a round in it.  Then stuck my angle gauge to the round and zeroed it out.  I eject the mag, insert the PSA mag, and check with the angle gauge.  The PSA mag holds the thing rotated 0.6° with tip upwards as compared to the OEM mag.  Then insert the shield gen1 mag, and the angle gauge says that one has the round tilted up 3.0°.  Then Inserted the OEM mag and my angle gauge goes back to 0°.  This thing does 0.15° increments, so there's some margin of error.  

I'm sure there's some margin of tolerance across the OEM mags and across the shield ones and the PSA ones.   Its hard to make any sort of blanket statements comparing them when you only look at a small sample size.  But at least for the ones I looked at, the PSA mags held the round more closely to the OEM feed angle.  And all 3 mags held the rounds in about the same space front to back.
View Quote

With the slide assembled and locked back, it’s the clearance between the back of the top cartridge in the mag and the little nub on the breach face that strips the cartridge, that is the issue. With the shield arms mags, my experience (with several Gen 1 and 2 mags and 3 different guns) is that the clearance is noticeably less compared to OEM, and in some instances, so small that it would prevent a mag from being inserted correctly. It’s hard to tell from the photos above if the PSA mags have this issue.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Put 550 rounds through one of mine today. One failure to eject on the third mag fired ,which was tula. All other rounds were flawless.

Ammo used.
150 rounds of 115 gr tula
300 rounds of 147 gr blazer brass
50 rounds of 147 gr blazer aluminum
50 rounds of 147 gr gold dots.

Really happy so far. The 43x used would not run any of my 3 sheild mags reliably. If I don't have any problems after another 500 rounds I'm using this one for carry. I didn't clean or lube the gun prior. It was dirty as usual.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Put 550 rounds through one of mine today. One failure to eject on the third mag fired ,which was tula. All other rounds were flawless.

Ammo used.
150 rounds of 115 gr tula
300 rounds of 147 gr blazer brass
50 rounds of 147 gr blazer aluminum
50 rounds of 147 gr gold dots.

Really happy so far. The 43x used would not run any of my 3 sheild mags reliably. If I don't have any problems after another 500 rounds I'm using this one for carry. I didn't clean or lube the gun prior. It was dirty as usual.
View Quote

That's a great report. Only one problem with Tula on a dirty gun. I'll take that!
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

With the slide assembled and locked back, it’s the clearance between the back of the top cartridge in the mag and the little nub on the breach face that strips the cartridge, that is the issue. With the shield arms mags, my experience (with several Gen 1 and 2 mags and 3 different guns) is that the clearance is noticeably less compared to OEM, and in some instances, so small that it would prevent a mag from being inserted correctly. It’s hard to tell from the photos above if the PSA mags have this issue.
View Quote

I understand that much of it.  The issue though is that gap is not predictable.  All the mags I tried, the top can be moved forwards and backwards and will stay where you put them.  So for a given mag, that gap may be 3-4mm different just depending on how the mag was inserted.  The glock OEM mag had the furthest rearward possible position out of the mags I tried.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
They're up right now. Gotta buy quick!
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally got my order in!
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Delete
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I understand that much of it.  The issue though is that gap is not predictable.  All the mags I tried, the top can be moved forwards and backwards and will stay where you put them.  So for a given mag, that gap may be 3-4mm different just depending on how the mag was inserted.  The glock OEM mag had the furthest rearward possible position out of the mags I tried.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I was finally able to order a few last night so I will do my own comparison.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Finally in stock last night.
Got one coming to test in my 48.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Ordered 8 slick on 6/20, received them yesterday. Loaded them immediately and left them overnight. Mag loader really helps with those new stiff springs.

Ran 175 rounds of Speer 147 and 50 rounds of Hornady 135 +p today with zero malfunctions. Just ran one full mag through six of the mags and put the rest of the rounds through the other two, including all 50 of the Hornady.

Extremely happy.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Got 3 slick ones.

1 mag had a failure to feed. Other two were good. I shot both range ammo and full power through them. The mag that had the single failure to feed seems pretty stiff, it only held 14 rounds. I’m going to see if it needs to be broken in.

ETA: The FTF mag fits 15 rounds now after loading it multiple times.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So these are having more issues than the S15, but people are more willing to justify those issues.
View Quote

I have both and will judge them equally when I get a chance to test them.  I do like the fact the PSA doesn't require a mag catch change.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I received my two today.  In both my G43X pistols, the PSA mags provide way more clearance between the back of the cartridge case and the breach face compared to the Shield Arms mags, similar to that of the OEM mags.  Let's just hope they run better than the SA mags.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 4:05:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Got 5 Micro Dagger mags and have ran 350 rds of Aquila 124gr FMJ and 60rds 147gr Speer gold dot through the 43X / 48. Had (1) failure to lock back other than that zero issues.

I’m gonna run them hard again this weekend and call it good for carry. Really glad these are on the market.

ETA: We put another 250 rounds of Aquila through my 5 mags with zero issues today. I’m calling these good for carry and just ordered another 5 mags. Good riddance to the S15. 3 generations of inconsistent reliability.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I took 2 black and one silver to the range today.  

I only ran 2 cycles through each mag but did them in the G48 that chokes on Shield mags.  

All 90 rounds ran without issue.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Slicks in stock now. Just ordered 2
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 12:55:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Slicks in stock now. Just ordered 2
View Quote

All four have been in stock every time I've checked for days now.  

Regular $29.99
Slick $32.99
Regular blems $25.99
Slick blems $28.99

Links In this OP
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I put another 450 rounds through mine. This time it didn't go as well. For one of the mags, at least. Out of the three, one of them had two failures to eject.

The one that had a problem hadn't been used yet. I'm hopeful that it's break-in related.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I received my 3 magazines and left them loaded for a few days  ,  put about 250 rounds of mixed ammo through them  .
No issues with feeding or extracting   .  Magazine #1 had several  failures to lock back the slide on the last shot
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  I put another 450 rounds through mine. This time it didn't go as well. For one of the mags, at least. Out of the three, one of them had two failures to eject.

The one that had a problem hadn't been used yet. I'm hopeful that it's break-in related.
View Quote

How can a magazine induce a failure to eject?
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I put another 450 rounds through mine. This time it didn't go as well. For one of the mags, at least. Out of the three, one of them had two failures to eject.

I don't know. It could be ammo related and have nothing to do with the mag in question. However, the 48 and the 43x used both have countless rounds through them with very few problems. 2 failures in less than 200 rounds for one particular magazine is odd.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Excessive pressure on the slide, feedlips too wide allowing the next round to pop up in the way of the ejecting round, feedlips too high and interfering with the slide, and probably a few other ways I'm not remembering.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I ordered one of the slick models for my daughter and her 43X. It was hard to load and I had to use a Glock magazine loader to get it loaded. But it took all 15. This will probably go away over time. I ran several magazines full of dummy rounds through the gun by hand, and they all fed and ejected fine. The slide did lock back on the empty magazine. She is going to shoot it this week. But it seems to function fine, and drops free.

Does anyone know if the stock Glock floor plate will fit on these? Or if the Vickers tactical plates will fit? I forgot to try it before I let it go.

View Quote

They will but it'll have extra material on the back half. It's enough to where I wouldn't 100% trust them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I finally made it to the range earlier to test out the two mags I bought.  The mags have been fully loaded since I received them a few weeks ago.  I put 150 rounds of mixed FMJ (AE 115gr, WWB 115gr, Norma 124gr) along with 5 or 6 HSTs, and they were flawless with the exception of a single FTEject with AE FMJ.  HOWEVER, the FTE occurred when my buddy was shooting it, and after closer examination I'm fairly certain that he was riding the slide with his strong hand thumb.  I still need to do more testing but so far I've had a much better experience compared to that with the Shield Arms mags, same gun and ammo.  I just ordered 4 more mags from PSA.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

I received my 2 Micro Dagger mags last week and decided to try them out just now.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-dagger-micro-9mm-15-round-magazine.html
To not skew my results, I 1st shot 35 rounds of 147gr FMJ through 2 of my 6 Shield Arms mags. Note, 1 is the stock SA 15rd mag the other has a +5 Taran Tactical Mag Base and Taran Tactical Spring. As usual, I had no issue with either Shield Arms mag. My G43X has a Shield Arms metal mag release in it.

I then shot 60rds of 147gr FMJ through the Micro Dagger magazines with no issues. The empty PSA MD mags dropped free, even with my metal mag release.

I used my UpLula universal mag loader to load all 4 mags to their capacities.

Will I sell all my Shield Arms mags and switch to Micro Dagger mags? No, I stocked up on them and they run just fine.
Would I buy more of them? No, 6 is enough. If PSA ever decides to release the frame or complete Micro Dagger pistol I will buy one. I might be tempted to put a metal mag release in it, though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#37]
2 of my 3 mags continue to have problems. They have both had over 500 rounds through them. They're broken in. Guns were clean. 147 gr. ammo. One of them still seems gtg, but I'm pretty much done with them at this point. Glock mags eat shitty ammo in a dirty gun and come back for more.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
2 of my 3 mags continue to have problems. They have both had over 500 rounds through them. They're broken in. Guns were clean. 147 gr. ammo. One of them still seems gtg, but I'm pretty much done with them at this point. Glock mags eat shitty ammo in a dirty gun and come back for more.
View Quote

I would be curious to see what would happen if you swapped the spring & follower assemblies around to see what changes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would be curious to see what would happen if you swapped the spring & follower assemblies around to see what changes.
View Quote

or, since the internal magazine dimensions are identical to glock 19 mags...maybe try the 19 follower in the psa mag...
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’d reach out to PSA. Could just be a bad batch given the one mag works.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I've got 6 regulars and 2 slicks. None have had any issues. I've shot probably 500 through the original regulars I had and probably another 2-300 through the others.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 2:54:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’d definitely contact PSA and swap them. I’ve got a total of 20 mags with over 2,000rds through the 43x and 48 with zero issues except a few failure to lock back early on with 2 mags which has since worked itself out.

These mags are gtg.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 3:19:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, I purchased a set of these and had a bunch of failure to feeds in both the Dagger Micro slide, and a OEM Glock 43x slide. This was with with two different brands of brass FMJ.

PSA has been very responsive and told me to send them back, but it still stings because I don't want to have to shoot another few hundred rounds of 9mm downrange to test again. I already spent about $100 worth of 9mm troubleshooting these. These were purchased at the end of June for the record.

If I can't get my 43x to reliably hold more than 10 rounds I'll be tempted to just go back to my P365X which is smaller yet reliably holds 14 with the magguts kit.

Link Posted: 7/30/2023 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The amount of " testing " some of you do boggles my mind.

If I shoot a full mag and it works, I call it good. If it has some problem, I try again. If it's some break in issue it usually resolves by the second run through. If it works, I call it good.

Mag issues other than worn out springs, usually present right away.
View Quote

I agree.

I was kind of hoping that I would have the failures to feed mentioned by those in this thread. No luck, mine were boringly reliable.

Edited.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I guess not using them is one way to not have problems lol.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If I shoot a full mag and it works, I call it good. If it has some problem, I try again. If it's some break in issue it usually resolves by the second run through. If it works, I call it good.

View Quote

Initial tests on my part for an unknown product would be several hundred rounds.  Typically this is done in one outing and include the actual intended ammo to be used as well as cheap stuff.

After that, I like to shoot. I just happen to report back my continued findings.  

It is not unusual for me to burn through 500 rounds of 9mm just for fun on a random afternoon.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

What a bad take. "I'll shoot 15 rounds through it, and if it passes those, I'll trust my life to it."

You ever hear of a term called sample size?
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I don’t shoot 500 rds through every factory Glock mag to make sure it works, but they are proven reliable item. I understand putting a larger amount of rounds through a new to the market item that doesn’t have a long proven track record. However, if I go through 4-5 mag loadings with no issues I’m likely to call it good. But more is better if you have the time, money and inclination.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top