Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2008 3:20:44 AM EDT
I see the HK PSP's on sale online and I am seriously considering ordering one. Could you guys please explain to me the difference between the PSP and the P7 M8? Also could people that own this pistol give me their opinion of it please? From the prices that I have seen P7 M8's go for, I would think that the PSP is a pretty good deal. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 3:50:31 AM EDT
[#1]
PSP's have a heel mounted magazine release (compared to an ambi-release at the base of the trigger guard on the M8) and have a smaller trigger guard. The M8 model also has a polymer heat shield added to the top of the enlarged trigger guard.

PSP

P7M8
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW:

Just recently got my "A"grade P7 PSP ordered thru Neal at CDNN..  The price was $674.25 + 2nd demo (as new) factory mag additional $39.99.

This is my first HK after lusting for a P7M8 for years, but the price for the P7M8 was (and IS) simply too high for my pay grade. (I'm retired now, so my "pay grade" is even lower" h
I do recommend you spring for the extra $75.00 for the "A" grade. HK inspectors grade these pistols according to INTERNAL wear, and I wanted the best conditioned pistol I could get, and my PSP came "as new"..

My PSP is so nice I'm selling another firearm I don't use anymore to finance another "A" grade PSP..  

Best Wishes,

JP
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_8649.jpg

Getcha' one..  
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the P7M8 for the following reasons:

1) Mag release allows one handed dropping of mag.

2) Mags are seemingly easier to find for the P7M8. (If they both use the same mag, ignore.)

3) Resale value on a P7M8 will always be higher. (Yes, I know. We NEVER sell a H&K!    )

My .o2  
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I own both P7's and P7M8's.  Actually I prefer the P7 to the M8's and it is my carry piece 98% of the time for the past 3 years.
It takes 12-13 lbs pressure with to squeeze cock the pistol and 1-2 lbs pressure to hold it cocked.  Many claim, as I do, that it is probably the safest pistol made.
It is extremely accurate (integral4.13" barrel) and ultra reliable (it will eat and fire whatever ammo you put in it).  Only shoot jacketed ammo in it.
You won't be dissapointed.  Herhttp://www.gunfaqs.org/P7FAQ/Magazine_Articles/GunsP7Mar83_1.jpg

http://www.gunfaqs.org/P7FAQ/Magazine_Articles/GunsP7Mar83_3.jpg

http://www.gunfaqs.org/P7FAQ/Magazine_Articles/1985%20P7broch-7.jpg

http://www.gunfaqs.org/P7FAQ/Magazine_Articles/Early(82)P7broch-2.jpg
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome photo Laserlips.

My P7 from 44mag.com.

edit to add photo
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#6]
GOOD GOD PEOPLE, quite calling these things PSPs, they are P7, not PSP, I don't care what the sticker on the box says.  The PSP has an extended heel mag release that protrudes below the grips, does not say "P7" on the grips, and says "PSP" on the side. They are also worth 3+times what the P7 is worth.
These are P7s, repeat after me. P7, P7, P7.
Below photos courtesy of HKP7.com
HK PSP

HK P7
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Try the decaf.
Just kidding, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#8]
You got that right.  I don't know why it gets under my skin like it does but it drives me nuts.  Every time I see these referred to as a PSP it makes my skin crawl.  I guess it is like someone with a Tactical trying to say it is a Mark 23.  Or maybe it is the collector in me.  I would love to get a real honest to God PSP for the collection but they are very far and few between and very pricey.  And of course, every PSP lead I go to look at turns out to be a P7 which are a dime a dozen relatively speaking, but I pretty much know how it is going to turn out from the price tag.

The guy from the OP selling the gun replied that somewhere in his selling statement that all pictures are for reference only.  But still, showing an honest to God PSP and listing it as a PSP would be the same to me as showing and listing a P7M8 and then delivering a P7, or showing and listing a Mark 23 and delivering a Tactical.  They just aren't the same animal, close, but no cigar.

Link Posted: 2/21/2008 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#9]
great guns, love mine, a few unusual things to be aware of, although none of these things are big drawbacks that would make the gun unsuitable for defensive purposes...

1. These guns get HOT when they are fired repeatedly, if I am working the steel plate rack at our club, I have to either quit and let it cool or get a glove after about 30-40 rounds running it fast, that is because of the location of the gas system over the trigger

2. They get dirty fast and they will become hard to manipulate and possibly start to have FTE's as the gas system gets clogged up with carbon, all you have to do is take it down, brush out the gas system with 7mm rifle bore brush or a purpose made scraper HK sells.  These problems seem to hit mine at about the 150 round mark and by 200 rounds it has to be brushed out to keep running, it is not like a Glock or something with loose tolerances that will run for thousands of rounds with zero maintenance...

get one, these lower prices on the P7 police trades won't last forever...
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 5:16:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
GOOG GOD PEOPLE, quite calling these things PSPs, they are P7, not PSP, I don't care what the sticker on the box says.  The PSP has an extended heel mag release that protrudes below the grips, does not say "P7" on the grips, and says "PSP" on the side. They are also worth 3+times what the P7 is worth.

Big-Bore:

I think most folks new to P7's think of the P7's in just two terms..  P7 PSP's and P7M8's..  The earlier original PSP just isn't on their radar, as most new buyers (I "be" one)aren't that knowledgeable about HK P7's to start with. The pistols being sold now thru CDNN and the like are advertised as P7 PSP's and most of us just never even new there was an original PSP prior to the P7 PSP..  

So when we say PSP we are just saying "not P7M8"...

I didn't even know there was a P7  until CDNN started advertising and selling them.  In fact I have lusted after a P7M8 for YEARS but the price tag was simply above my pay grade (and now as retired, even lower paygrade).

Turns out since I'm a "lefty" I would probably have preferred the P7 PSP with the mag heel release anyway.  

I know how you feel tho, seeing a pistol misidentified, as I often get a bit testy when I hear or read someone calling a "magazine" a "clip", or don't know the difference between a "pistol" and a revolver.  I get positively livid when I watch someone on TV pointing a 1911 type single-action Colt with bad intentions at someone and never cock the hammer..  Duh?  Last night I stumbled up on a shoot out situaton on some program and they were showing a bad guy in the middle of the gun fight with his slide locked back, empty as the writers head..  I hate that stuff.

But I LOVE my P7 PSP..   (That would be my: P7  ..)

Best Wishes,

JPomeroy
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#11]
You know what also gets my panties in a real twist?  Watching on TV or a movie when some bad guy comes in with a shotgun.  He always racks the slide to scare people but you see no shell being ejected.  WTF, he came in with the shotgun unloaded?  And then in a few minutes, after he gets pissed off again, he will rack the slide again, and once again you see no shell being ejected.  So, the gun must be unloaded. WTF?  His career as a bad guy is not going to last long when he makes an entrance with an unloaded shotgun!

I swear I see this at least once a week and it drives me up the freaking wall.  I gotta cut down on the caffeine!
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#12]
***Highjack in progress****
I see that in movies all the time with pistols too (rack slide for emphasis, and no brass).  My favorite though, is when someone dumps a full mag from a 10" barrel 5.56 weapon indoors, and then whispers directions to a comrade.  WHAT!!!  I CAN'T HEAR A F***ING THING!!!
"Road to Perdition" with Tom Hanks was terrible with the gun handling.  Tom Hanks "fires" his 1911 with the hammer down many times, and several times the gun isn't even fired at all and Hanks just does the fake recoil thing with his arm and sound is dubbed in.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
***Highjack in progress****
I see that in movies all the time with pistols too (rack slide for emphasis, and no brass).  My favorite though, is when someone dumps a full mag from a 10" barrel 5.56 weapon indoors, and then whispers directions to a comrade.  WHAT!!!  I CAN'T HEAR A F***ING THING!!!
"Road to Perdition" with Tom Hanks was terrible with the gun handling.  Tom Hanks "fires" his 1911 with the hammer down many times, and several times the gun isn't even fired at all and Hanks just does the fake recoil thing with his arm and sound is dubbed in.
On Prison Break this week, Lincoln Burrows had a 1911 pointed at one guy with the hammer back. In the next scene, you see him cock the hammer back.
Link Posted: 2/23/2008 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Love mine, Recoil is a bit more. The design I feel is very safe for CCW. Mine has been 100% reliable. Only drawback is the owners manual is written in German

Link Posted: 2/23/2008 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:
Love mine, Recoil is a bit more. The design I feel is very safe for CCW. Mine has been 100% reliable. Only drawback is the owners manual is written in Germanhref=i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/apdswat/wallpaper014.jpg

Call HK Trussville and ask for one of the new manuals.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2008 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I have been reading a lot on the P7M8 and P7 versions to the point, I GOTTA GET ONE! I know the difference between them, but I really can not find anyone elaborating on the heat. I have read "buy a second one and swap out when it gets hot" or "just don't do long rapid fire". How bad is the heat that comes off it? I have shot my 1911 at one point that it was so hot I couldn't leave it in my leather IWB, that hot or hotter? Is the heat on the frame, slide, trigger guard or all over? Also, if anyone use it for CC and shots it regularly, are you concerned about parts breaking?
Anything would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/23/2008 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have been reading a lot on the P7M8 and P7 versions to the point, I GOTTA GET ONE! I know the difference between them, but I really can not find anyone elaborating on the heat. I have read "buy a second one and swap out when it gets hot" or "just don't do long rapid fire". How bad is the heat that comes off it? I have shot my 1911 at one point that it was so hot I couldn't leave it in my leather IWB, that hot or hotter? Is the heat on the frame, slide, trigger guard or all over? Also, if anyone use it for CC and shots it regularly, are you concerned about parts breaking?
Anything would be greatly appreciated.

because of the location of the gas tube, if you blow off 3 or more mags pretty quick, its going to get so hot you won't want to put your finger in the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 2/24/2008 1:51:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought a used electroless nickeled P7 as my gradulation present to myself after basic training in 83' (that or a stainless steel Randall 1911).  Loved the gun but it went to a friend for a trade on a new 1886 carbine.  Leather was hard to find but once found was an excellent CCW pistol.  It did get warm when doing mag dumps but I only carried 3 mags at once (had 4) so, made a point not to do more training with lots of mag dumps.  Super accurate gun to boot.  I would do bowling pin shoots in Germany and held my own even against Delta guys (long time ago).

CD

ETA:  The only ammo mine didn't like was CCI Blazer ammo.
Link Posted: 2/24/2008 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
GOOD GOD PEOPLE, quite calling these things PSPs, they are P7, not PSP, I don't care what the sticker on the box says.  The PSP has an extended heel mag release that protrudes below the grips, does not say "P7" on the grips, and says "PSP" on the side. They are also worth 3+times what the P7 is worth.
These are P7s, repeat after me. P7, P7, P7.
Below photos courtesy of HKP7.com
HK PSP
hkp7.com/graphics/psp-s.jpg

HK P7
hkp7.com/graphics/p7pspblue.jpg

Big-Bore - This one doesn't have the extended mag release (photo courtesy of "da man":

Link Posted: 2/25/2008 6:12:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Just picked up a new P7M8 this weekend, AG date code, but fit is flawless.

I am in love with this gun. I've never enjoyed a firearm like this. My 1911's are now taking a back seat for a little while.

Didn't like the price of a new one...but I'd definitely buy it again.
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Didn't like the price of a new one...but I'd definitely buy it again.

Dare we politely inquire???????      
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Uhhh, now I am truly confused..
is there a difference between the P7, and a P7M8?

If so.. please explain it to me..

TIA
J
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#23]
So bottom line for me, is $595 shipped on a P7 a great deal? Is this something that I can buy, shoot a little, stick in the safe, and one day have a pistol that is going to be worth more than I paid for it? Or is the P7 considered to be a lesser pistol than the P7 M8? Thanks
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top