User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
The TZ ammo doesn't help for one.

?

Why are they using Israeli ammo?  And if they keep damaging guns with it, why are they looking at another 1911-based system?
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 5:29:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSGlock34] [#2]
Originally Posted By R0N:
The PPTs don't list the manufactures, but has close up photos of the cracks.  The photos are too close to see who makes the guns, but they are in the frames and barrel lugs.

One of things that has made the selection so long a process is no one can provide what amounts to leap ahead weapon. The Marines can buy off the shelf something similar to what we have today.  But even those PWS built guns normally are non-serviceable by the end of 1-2 deployment cycles. One of the documents I read was the results of data call from PP&O to the OPFOR from 06 and III MEF reported having 30 PWS built guns, 21 deadlined and 14 of the 21 were non-repairable

The CQBP performance specifications didn't allow for a lot of flexibility, specifying single action design, grip safety, hammer and desired compatibility with existing M1911 magazines.  The order is too small for manufacturers to design a pistol specifically for this competition, but other designs that might be game changers (Glock 21, HK45 and M&P45 come to mind) are excluded.  

Todd Green's endurance testing of the HK45 certainly leaps to mind when considering a new .45 for military use (and there is some precedent for SOF use of the HK45C), and the HK45 could even be configured for single action operation similar to the 1911.  No grip safety though....Perhaps the specifications don't explicitly say that only 1911s need apply, but find me a COTS solution that isn't a 1911 that does...

'Leap ahead' seems a tall order when limited to a 100 year old design.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 6:59:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSeric02] [#3]
Originally Posted By bcw107:
The TZ ammo doesn't help for one.

?

Why are they using Israeli ammo?  And if they keep damaging guns with it, why are they looking at another 1911-based system?

Because that's where some (all? nope, ATK has recent contracts as well- the DODIC is A475) mil issued .45 ACP non-comp ammo gets sourced from.  It's loaded a bit hot and just causes excessive parts wear, not necessarily anything catastrophic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Examples of test failure

Frame crack on left side of pistol

Barrel crack rear of lug

Blow barrel after 10,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
So instead of changing the platform or the ammo they just issued 2 ea?  Is that the intent of this most recent proposal that's floating around here?
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
They did that for Det 1, but I don't know if they are doing that for these weapons.

They supposable did a Marine Corps Total Forces Systems (some refer to it as 3270) of all the billets in the Marine Corps that rated the pistol, added guns for school house and repair/floats and came up with a number slightly over 4000 guns.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
They did that for Det 1, but I don't know if they are doing that for these weapons.

They supposable did a Marine Corps Total Forces Systems (some refer to it as 3270) of all the billets in the Marine Corps that rated the pistol, added guns for school house and repair/floats and came up with a number slightly over 4000 guns.

That's a lot of semi-custom 1911s to maintain!  Will the PWS be tasked with that, or is that going to be part of the contract award Sir?
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 4:52:45 AM EDT
[#8]

That's a lot of semi-custom 1911s to maintain!  Will the PWS be tasked with that, or is that going to be part of the contract award Sir?

Don't know if PWS will be involved or not if there were full fielding of the CQBP, one of the concerns is if there is not that there is no cost savings because PWS will still be required to maintain the on hand guns while unit 2111s can maintain the CQBPs via COTs parts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Don't know if PWS will be involved or not if there were full fielding of the CQBP, one of the concerns is if there is not that there is no cost savings because PWS will still be required to maintain the on hand guns while unit 2111s can maintain the CQBPs via COTs parts.

Check, and my understanding has been the PWS can barely keep up with maintainig the 500 or so in service now plus the long guns, plus the shooting teams guns...
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Check, and my understanding has been the PWS can barely keep up with maintainig the 500 or so in service now plus the long guns, plus the shooting teams guns...

I thought I'd read that the contract required the vendor to provide maintenance, which is part of the reason the big companies like Colt and Springfield got on board, while Wilson/Novak/Ed Brown and the like chose not to.  Of course, I might be thinking about something completely different.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jtb0311:

I thought I'd read that the contract required the vendor to provide maintenance, which is part of the reason the big companies like Colt and Springfield got on board, while Wilson/Novak/Ed Brown and the like chose not to.  Of course, I might be thinking about something completely different.

The POM brief specifically 2111s with COTS parts
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 2:36:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PreMDMatt] [#12]

Good image of the Kimber ICQB with Pachmayer grips, somewhat rare I believe, as most grips were changed upon delivery, to Gunners.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#13]
found a couple of I i think, new pics for  the thread for you guys

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 12:19:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: InfiniteGrim] [#14]
Originally Posted By Shawnmt6601:

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/vor033/USMC%20-%204/d93001f0.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/vor033/USMC%20-%204/82777e8b.jpg

Are those straight 30rd magazines?

never mind, different kind of simunitions

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 12:23:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By InfiniteGrim:

SESAM,  aka simmunitions
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By InfiniteGrim:

SESAM,  aka simmunitions

Just looked them up on simunitions website, looks like they now have 9mm M4 uppers. I guess its cheaper to use the same ammo in everything.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 12:37:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcw107] [#17]
Found a photo I've never seen before.  From Sept 2007.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is my finished contribution.
I went with the 10:8 rear NM sight, Cylinder & Slide trigger and Wilson grip safety/hammer combo.
I did the work myself, and think it came out pretty nice. It shoots like a dream.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Are those Safariland holsters? If so, what model?
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 4:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lumpy196] [#20]

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/mailbcw/80E79380-6CDD-41CF-A6BE-55EDBE59F459_mw800_mh600.jpg

Looks like a Beretta to me.

The backstrap is solid and arched, and the grips follow the contour.  That and it looks like the hammer is down.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/mailbcw/80E79380-6CDD-41CF-A6BE-55EDBE59F459_mw800_mh600.jpg

Looks like a Beretta to me.

The backstrap is solid and arched, and the grips follow the contour.  That and it looks like the hammer is down.

You're probably right.  I zoomed in and now I'm not sure.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By dirtyone04:
I went with the 10:8 rear NM sight, Cylinder & Slide trigger and Wilson grip safety/hammer combo.
I did the work myself, and think it came out pretty nice. It shoots like a dream.
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af207/dirtyone04/IMG_6000.jpg
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af207/dirtyone04/IMG_6002.jpg
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af207/dirtyone04/IMG_6003.jpg

Fukkin' sweet!!

Makes me wanna go out and buy a Mil-Spec and fix it up....  But what the hell am I gonna do with three MEUSOC 1911s?

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By samuse:
Originally Posted By dirtyone04:
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af207/dirtyone04/IMG_6000.jpg
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af207/dirtyone04/IMG_6002.jpg
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af207/dirtyone04/IMG_6003.jpg

Fukkin' sweet!!

Makes me wanna go out and buy a Mil-Spec and fix it up....  But what the hell am I gonna do with three MEUSOC 1911s?

I'd be more than happy to accept the generous donation of a SACS Custom Carry.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 1:39:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
Are those Safariland holsters? If so, what model?

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 1:59:56 AM EDT
[#25]
The PPTs don't list the manufactures, but has close up photos of the cracks.  The photos are too close to see who makes the guns, but they are in the frames and barrel lugs.

One of things that has made the selection so long a process is no one can provide what amounts to leap ahead weapon.  The Marines can buy off the shelf something similar to what we have today.  But even those PWS built guns normally are non-serviceable by the end of 1-2 deployment cycles. One of the documents I read was the results of data call from PP&O to the OPFOR from 06 and III MEF reported having 30 PWS built guns, 21 deadlined and 14 of the 21 were non-repairable

Interesting information. I saw some guys nearly get banned at Lightfighter for suggesting that modern, modular weapons were better than hand built PWS weapons for very practical reasons. Then the mod chewed one guys ass for suggesting that the M40 was a modified hunting rifle and certain parties decided that only weapons hand built by Marines would meet the needs of Marines.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd be more than happy to accept the generous donation of a SACS Custom Carry.  

Ah Hahahahaahahahahaha!

Nope!  But if you come down with some ammo you help me try to wear it out!

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#27]
details on this weapon please!
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By xdmikey:

Regular 'ol Springfield Custom Carry with a Kimber checkered lanyard loop MSH, Ed Brown wide single side safety and a Harrison medium trigger.

Shot a Steel Challenge match with it today.  I didn't worth a damn, but the gun made it past 2K today without a bobble...

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#29]
You're killing me bro!  I lust after that gun.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 5:27:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#30]
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:01:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#31]
My replica build by Springfield custom shop
- install Millett front sight and PWS rear sight
- fit Bar-sto barrel & bushing
- fit aluminum trigger
- fit Clark grip safety
- trigger job 4.5 lb on Berryhill ultimate ignition set
- fit King's ambi thumb safety
- add serration to Colt WWI replica flat MSH
- Parkerize complete pistol

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:52:28 AM EDT
[#32]
that is perfection!!!!!!!! did you supply the sights?? or did the custom shop make them? and are the last 4 digits of the serial number stamped on top of the clark beavertail safety?  please give us a range report!!!!  that meusoc is sweet!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:30:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Looks great!
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:58:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#34]
Originally Posted By accurange:
that is perfection!!!!!!!! did you supply the sights?? or did the custom shop make them? and are the last 4 digits of the serial number stamped on top of the clark beavertail safety?  please give us a range report!!!!  that meusoc is sweet!!!!!!

All the parts were supplied by me. Springfield custom shop is a true full-custom house and they are willing to install good quality parts supplied by customer. Best of all, the turn around time is great. Sent in at beginning of February and get the package back today.

I did not ask for the serial number stamped and I did not even know they will do that. Dave Williams saw all the specs and parts I supplied and he figured that I am building a MEUSOC replica. So he phoned me to offer the serial number stamping without extra charge. Thanks to Dave and his team for excellent work and customer service.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:49:15 AM EDT
[#35]

1) Lots of good information in this thread.

2) Why is this thread not tacked!?

3) This pistol is about as good as you can get.  Very well done Sir!

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:25:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JSGlock34] [#36]
Originally Posted By mlin:

All the parts were supplied by me. Springfield custom shop is a true full-custom house and they are willing to install good quality parts supplied by customer. Best of all, the turn around time is great. Sent in at beginning of February and get the package back today.

I did not ask for the serial number stamped and I did not even know they will do that. Dave Williams saw all the specs and parts I supplied and he figured that I am building a MEUSOC replica. So he phoned me to offer the serial number stamping without extra charge. Thanks to Dave and his team for excellent work and customer service.

Very nicely done.  Can you list all the work SACS did on this pistol?  Congratulations on a great build.

Let us know how it shoots!
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#37]
On another note, is there a good source for the Cylinder & Slide CS271B hammer/sear/disconnector set?   I can't find it on the C&S website and Brownells has been sold out for a while.  Are these still made?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 12:12:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alias2] [#38]

Did that start off as a SA Loaded, ?  specifically the slide cuts and if not are they custom as they look more pronounced and more spaced than stock. I like it.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#39]

It give me a warm-fuzzy to know that the guys in SACS are just as geeky as we are when it comes to crafting pistols like yours.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By alias2:

Did that start off as a SA Loaded, ?  specifically the slide cuts and if not are they custom as they look more pronounced and more spaced than stock. I like it.

That one is a photo I found online. It is an actual MEU pistol with USGI frame and Springfield Loaded slide. I believe the slide is exactly like the one used on Loaded.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JSGlock34:
On another note, is there a good source for the Cylinder & Slide CS271B hammer/sear/disconnector set?   I can't find it on the C&S website and Brownells has been sold out for a while.  Are these still made?

Cylinder & Slide CS271B has longer .023" hammer hooks. Other than that it is idential to C&S Tactical II CS0208. Personally I would just by CS0208 if you don't want to wait. The other alternative is Berryhill Custom Ultimate Ignition Set. Beryhill parts are topnotch and excellent quality.
http://www.berryhillguns.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=47
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#42]

That one is a photo I found online. It is an actual MEU pistol with USGI frame and Springfield Loaded slide. I believe the slide is exactly like the one used on Loaded.

Cool, thanks.  It makes me more determined to aquire a Loaded.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Mlin- looks great!

Now where did you find a PWS sight?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:10:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beep] [#44]
Wow, nice pistol Mlin.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#45]

that's awesome, had no idea they did that level of work
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:50:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alias2] [#46]
- install Millett front sight and PWS rear sight
- fit Bar-sto barrel & bushing
- fit aluminum trigger
- fit Clark grip safety
- trigger job 4.5 lb on Berryhill ultimate ignition set
- fit King's ambi thumb safety
- add serration to Colt WWI replica flat MSH
- Parkerize complete pistol
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn216/cxl17/SACL.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn216/cxl17/SACR.jpg

I find it interesting MEU(SOC) are still using what was originally used in the early days of IPSC in the 70's to combat tune a .45; Pachmayr wrap arounds, King replacement rear sight, King thumb safety,
Clark grip safety and commander hammer.  I built a MEU(SOC) in the 70's using the only new aftermarket parts available back then from Clark and King and didn't even know it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#47]
mlin, how long have you been hoarding that millett sight? i have a complete set on my commander.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#48]

I find it interesting MEU(SOC) are still using what was originally used in the early days of IPSC in the 70's to combat tune a .45; Pachmayr wrap arounds, King replacement rear sight, King thumb safety,
Clark grip safety and commander hammer.  I built a MEU(SOC) in the 70's using the only new aftermarket parts available back then from Clark and King and didn't even know it.

They ended up changing to Novak sights and Ed Brown safeties after the King's stuff dried up.

One of my older shooting buddies shoots a 1911 that could be a MEUSOC clone.  He built it in '91 and has pretty much worn out a Dillon 550 feeding it....

He still calls it "my new gun".  

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#49]

FUK...

That is so beautiful.  

Lock the thread, you win!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By samuse:
Originally Posted By xdmikey:

Regular 'ol Springfield Custom Carry with a Kimber checkered lanyard loop MSH, Ed Brown wide single side safety and a Harrison medium trigger.

Shot a Steel Challenge match with it today.  I didn't worth a damn, but the gun made it past 2K today without a bobble...

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/SACS%20CC/003-1.jpg" />

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/SACS%20CC/002-1.jpg

DROOL...
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top