BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DavidY:

Gen5 RSA probably won't fit the opening in the frame (definitely won't fit the opening in the Gen3 slide without turning down the end of the RSA).  

The easiest way would be a non-captured recoil spring rod as the stock OEM RSA might not be long enough (my experience from a few weeks ago putting a Gen3 G34 slide on a Gen4 G19 frame).

This is what Lone Wolf recommends for their frame adapter.

https://lonewolfdist.com/parts/guide-rods/lwd-s-s-guide-rod-for-use-with-slide-adapters/

View Quote
I get why the Gen 5 RSA won't work on a Gen 3 G19 frame, but why won't a Gen 3 G17 RSA work with a Gen 3 G17 slide and Gen 5 barrel?
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
I get why the Gen 5 RSA won't work on a Gen 3 G19 frame, but why won't a Gen 3 G17 RSA work with a Gen 3 G17 slide and Gen 5 barrel?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DavidY:

Gen5 RSA probably won't fit the opening in the frame (definitely won't fit the opening in the Gen3 slide without turning down the end of the RSA).  

The easiest way would be a non-captured recoil spring rod as the stock OEM RSA might not be long enough (my experience from a few weeks ago putting a Gen3 G34 slide on a Gen4 G19 frame).

This is what Lone Wolf recommends for their frame adapter.

https://lonewolfdist.com/parts/guide-rods/lwd-s-s-guide-rod-for-use-with-slide-adapters/

With my personal experience, it wasn't long enough.  

What I did do was use a Strike Industries G-SAP adapter (feels in the gap around the front of a Gen 3 slide for use in a Gen4 or Gen 5 frame in conjunction with a Gen3 G19 to Gen4 G26 adapter from 2A3D.  

Added just enough length for the Gen 3 RSA to fit any Gen 4 G19 frame (in this case, Shadow Systems DR920 and MR920).

Looking back, I'm sure if Gaston had any idea what kind of crazy shit we would be doing, he would have designed things from the ground up to be interchangeable.  But from the get-go, the G19 was designed with its own parts in mind so it was all downhill from there

Link Posted: 10/16/2024 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DavidY:With my personal experience, it wasn't long enough.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DavidY:With my personal experience, it wasn't long enough.  
I see. Thanks.

Are the G34 or G17L RSAs longer?  

I'm just wondering if there is a way to do this with OEM parts. It sounds like no.

Originally Posted By DavidY:Looking back, I'm sure if Gaston had any idea what kind of crazy shit we would be doing, he would have designed things from the ground up to be interchangeable.  But from the get-go, the G19 was designed with its own parts in mind so it was all downhill from there

It makes sense that they would give the G19 a bit more room for the RSA to get it as long as possible in the shorter frame.

I guess they didn't want to redesign the G17 at that time for RSA commonality (like much later they did with the G47 - or is it the G45? I get those confused) and screw up all the armorers out there.

Link Posted: 10/16/2024 11:39:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidY] [#4]
I see. Thanks.

Are the G34 or G17L RSAs longer?  

I'm just wondering if there is a way to do this with OEM parts. It sounds like no.

It makes sense that they would give the G19 a bit more room for the RSA to get it as long as possible in the shorter frame.

I guess they didn't want to redesign the G17 at that time for RSA commonality (like much later they did with the G47 - or is it the G45? I get those confused) and screw up all the armorers out there.

View Quote

Gen3 G17, G34 and G17L use the same frame and RSA.  Barrel and slide are obviously different.

The Gen5 G19 is supposed to use the same RSA as the G45, G47 and G49.  So of course my GT Distributors doesn't even have a hang tag for one.  

Come on guys, you literally carry the RSA for the G17T, but not four of the newest models (which car covered under one part number)?

Edited because my spell check changed G17T to G17..

Yes ... I type G17 enough that spell check recognizes it
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

As I recall, the lug on the bottom of barrels that use the 19 lug (which includes all Gen5 9s) sits back farther from the muzzle than the G17/34 Gen 1-4 barrels.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top