Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.  Plastic under the slab.  Comes right to the edges.  But of course, it's not over the top of those header blocks. It's lying just inside that inside edge, under the pour itself.
View Quote
My gut tells me thats just moisture either from the top of the plastic, or bottom of the plastic, or both, slowly working it's way to the edge of the plastic and that's what is showing up wicking through the mortar

I think it's nothing to worry about, and will resolve itself when you get a roof over the slab
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 2:20:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Okay so I should chill about maxing out my axle by almost double???

I still don't wanna do that again.

Cuz I can't fix it if it breaks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I honestly would have been more concerned with blowing s tire over busting the able at that point, and I've done both .

You want to know a crazy overload story? I built a trailer from the back end of a1975 f150. Had a 9" axle. The box fell off when I took the topper off so I built a wooden box for it. Nice little heavy duty trailer I got for free. Anyway, the inlaws were building an addition to their house and needed sand for cement work. I took my homemade trailer with 2 foot sides and headed to the gravel pit. Loader man loaded until I signaled on the CB to stop. Scaled out at 7,800 pounds of sand. I jumped on the trailer once I got Home just to say she hauled 4 ton.  My f150 could barely get the rig up the hill out of the pit as the tires were spinning! Took her easy on the 5 mile trip back. Let's just say she was riding on the stops . Even in 4wd low range, be could not push it up the slight grass hill to the construction site: all wheels spun .

My father in law just shook his head and laughed. 
Okay so I should chill about maxing out my axle by almost double???

I still don't wanna do that again.

Cuz I can't fix it if it breaks.

That was about 1.5 yards of gravel on your trailer. Of course the actual varies with the load content, but I usually figure about 2700 pounds per cubic yard of material.

I've looked around on the internet, and most gravel is between 2400-2900 pounds per yard. Crushed rock is usually listed around 2700 pounds per yard. Dry sand is towards the 2400 /yard range, wet sand close to 2800.

Obligatory story, I bought a late 70s F350 truck with a lift bed on it. I asked for a yard of rock for my driveway at a local quarry. This quarry has a section for homeowners which doesn't have a scale, they go by how full the loader's bucket gets and eyeball it. Well, this first yard loaded didn't stress the truck at all and I felt confident it could handle a lot more. So next trip I asked for 3  yards. The person operating the loader changed what they thought was a yard of material between loads, and the second load was easily 4 or 5 times what the first load weighed. It was a long, slow drive home with that load.

The truck is rated by mfg for 10,000 pounds. When empty, the truck weighs 7,000 pounds. I would guess that second load to be easily around 15,000 pounds.  Since that load, I've only driven the truck around my property, moving some fairly heavy rocks around. The tires are of unknown age, and have some localized cracking apparently due to the truck sitting on one spot for a long time. I had one tire with tread separation in the area of the cracking, so the truck is sitting until I replace all of the tires. So I'm looking for a good deal on E rated 215x85R16 tires.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's a great story.  I've seen people load scoops of mulch with a LOT or a little, depending on the operator and how they handled the machine.  Didn't think about that being true for gravel but I guess it is, and that's  a serious weight difference.  For mulch it matters a lot whether they go to the very bottom of the pile, or go in up the side a bit.  Dunno if that matters for gravel, though I'm betting the gravel at the bottom might be wetter?

I finally had to bite the bullet and get new tires for the old Trooper I'm using as a tow vehicle. Same issue...dry rot from the vehicle just sitting.  They were holding air, but it was a matter of time before I got stranded on the road with a trailer.  I did not go for particularly good tires because of the age and questionable longevity of the vehicle.    I may regret that at some point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was about 1.5 yards of gravel on your trailer. Of course the actual varies with the load content, but I usually figure about 2700 pounds per cubic yard of material.

I've looked around on the internet, and most gravel is between 2400-2900 pounds per yard. Crushed rock is usually listed around 2700 pounds per yard. Dry sand is towards the 2400 /yard range, wet sand close to 2800.

Obligatory story, I bought a late 70s F350 truck with a lift bed on it. I asked for a yard of rock for my driveway at a local quarry. This quarry has a section for homeowners which doesn't have a scale, they go by how full the loader's bucket gets and eyeball it. Well, this first yard loaded didn't stress the truck at all and I felt confident it could handle a lot more. So next trip I asked for 3  yards. The person operating the loader changed what they thought was a yard of material between loads, and the second load was easily 4 or 5 times what the first load weighed. It was a long, slow drive home with that load.

The truck is rated by mfg for 10,000 pounds. When empty, the truck weighs 7,000 pounds. I would guess that second load to be easily around 15,000 pounds.  Since that load, I've only driven the truck around my property, moving some fairly heavy rocks around. The tires are of unknown age, and have some localized cracking apparently due to the truck sitting on one spot for a long time. I had one tire with tread separation in the area of the cracking, so the truck is sitting until I replace all of the tires. So I'm looking for a good deal on E rated 215x85R16 tires.
That's a great story.  I've seen people load scoops of mulch with a LOT or a little, depending on the operator and how they handled the machine.  Didn't think about that being true for gravel but I guess it is, and that's  a serious weight difference.  For mulch it matters a lot whether they go to the very bottom of the pile, or go in up the side a bit.  Dunno if that matters for gravel, though I'm betting the gravel at the bottom might be wetter?

I finally had to bite the bullet and get new tires for the old Trooper I'm using as a tow vehicle. Same issue...dry rot from the vehicle just sitting.  They were holding air, but it was a matter of time before I got stranded on the road with a trailer.  I did not go for particularly good tires because of the age and questionable longevity of the vehicle.    I may regret that at some point.
I'm in the same boat as to tire quality. I want to restore the truck and until I do some more work on it, it won't see more than about 300 miles per year. It's hard to justify really good tires, but then with the weight it could hold, it's tough to explain cheaper tires. It will never be a daily driver, it's 7000 pounds empty, and the lift bed is 8 feet wide, 12 feet long. Parallel parking could be fun though.

My father ran a gravel pit when I was young. Imagine a 10 year old running life size Tonka trucks. It really is amazing how much moisture sand and rock can hold. The difference can be felt in the loader bucket as you push into a large pile of sand, it gets heavier the farther in you go.

ETA: the rock with fines, it looks like your load, was $14 per yard here in southern MN
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 12:27:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've seen people load scoops of mulch with a LOT or a little, depending on the operator and how they handled the machine.
View Quote
i tell the guy loading the mulch or topsoil, "just don't break my truck".  
stone products i always beg/borrow a mason's dump, i'm not putting that kind of weight in my pickup.  

see for stupidity (that's a yard of topsoil in my little Tacoma, and she's a little unhappy about the ~1800 pound load...)
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Show-me-what-you-used-your-tractor-for-today-pic-thread-/19-681719/?page=1#i11666778

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 1:19:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@Rat_Patrol

You think the weight might have blown out the side of my valve stem?

I honestly cannot figure a reason that the stem failed.  (It failed at the usual point-- right at the tire-- but maybe I just had a faulty stem since these tires were new with the trailer)    It was NOT on the side where the loader was dumping rock, and even if it had been, the fender should have taken the beating, not the tire.

I've had exactly one blowout in my life, going down I-65 at 85 mph in a light truck.  Hit some tiny sharp thingies dumped out of a container on a tractor trailer flatbed.  That tire blew apart completely.

But after considering this load, I wonder if I did blow a tire with the weight, but it was not an immediate catastrophic failure. It just put too much pressure on the tires and blew the weakest point?  

View Quote
Valve stem was faulty. Blowing a single tire on a trailer isn't bad. The only tires that suck blowing are steering tires, thankfully that only happened to me at low speed.

Typically overloading will blow out the sidewall first, but they whole thing shreds almost instantly from an overweight blowout, so I guess that technicality is a moot point.

You either blow the tire from overloading or the tire is fine. You didn't weaken it. Likely your trailer is fine.

ETA: valve stems will easily handle 200 psi.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 1:49:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There is not rebar in the footers, which also surprised me a little, but I've seen it done at other times.  Sometimes there's rebar and sometimes there isn't in these footers.  I put rebar in the ones I poured under my house (we jacked the house up, poured footers, built the foundation, and set the house back down on it the first year we bought it).  

I am going to ask why it wasn't necessary for this application.  I think there will be rebar in the slab itself.

Yeah, Hardi is popular.  Hardi thinks well of it, though.  Too well for my budget.

Somebody suggested yesterday that I do what the Amish do around here--wrap the barn with Tyvek and let it sit until I can put what I want on it.  

I just might.
View Quote
No insulation or keyway on the footer either.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not seeing how a keyway would have done anything useful at all in this particular building.
View Quote
Me either.
The block isn’t very high and all the cells were left open and filled with concrete at the same time as the slab.
They left the footing very rough and put concrete relatively quickly as well which doesn’t hurt either.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#15]
They're sliders without the appropriate grids, but since only the neighbor (who bought 26 acres and built his house 200 feet from my back door) will see them from the outside, I don't care.
View Quote
How the frick does this happen in the middle of Kentucky?  Who the fuck is you BOZO neighbor?
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#17]
We've got the 6x36 ones installed in the living room this summer. I absolutely love them, every time a new person gets to see it, they think it's real wood floors.

Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#19]
^

the tile that both of you present, is that vinyl?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not mine.  It's porcelain.  I think the other poster's is too.

ETA:  If you're considering your cabin, they do make some really nice wood-look vinyl.

Doesn't look quite as much like hardwood, IMO, as the porcelain tile, but so much better than it used to be, and in my experience, usually more durable than laminate (if waterproof qualities are at all important).

However for waterproofing issues, I'd choose a sheet vinyl, not vinyl tiles of any kind.

Just my two cents.
View Quote
Thanks KwS

I was looking at the vinyl for that very reason.  This is going to be a hunting cabin more than a luxury resort.  I'm thinking vinyl will sweep and wash easily.  Have throw rugs in the bedrooms for tootsie comfort on trips to the necessary on cold winter nights.  From a practical stand point, sheet is probably the best way to go.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Look what came to UPS today!

Is it food?  I bet it's food.
View Quote
Awesome kitty pics!  Gotta love the little goofs.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Bumping my poor building thread for family issues and weather.
View Quote
you have put to rest our worst fears...

Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Rain, rain, interspersed with drizzle, then rain.

Getting very frustrated, and even more behind.

View Quote
I feel that pain.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I feel you.

I'm waiting for the gas company to run me a new 300' 1 1/4" line with the meter in a new location so I can drill for piers
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Kitties,

love the updates on both projects,

Please keep them coming

RR
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 12:39:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 1:11:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Glad somebody enjoys it.   I'm never sure whether it's interesting or boring as all heck.

View Quote
I am patient, it's okay
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#44]
That's obviously sub-par electrical wiring. They should have used vacuum cleaner cord like the nitwits that did some wiring in our first house. Be very afraid.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 1:09:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It is officially four and a half months since we had three days in a row without precip.

So tired of it.

On a better note, it was stinking beautiful yesterday.  I just stood in the yard and soaked it in.  A bit of sun, temps that promised better things ahead.

I can start to see framing in my future.
View Quote
Today was the first nice day in a week and rain is forecast for 8 of the next 10 days [well, snow/showers on Easter Sunday].

What is going on I wonder?

I feel your pain.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top