Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 38
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
We'll need a volunteer NC for the net this week as I'm tied up with work this evening.

Should be back to a normal schedule for many weeks to come starting next week.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
After last week's fiasco with  my setup, i dont think I'm the best candidate for NC tonight.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I will put out a warning test at 14067.5 at 23.15 lmk if heard
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I will put out another at 2330 on 7120. 2345 will be on 14067.5

Best/most responses on the band and here will dictate where we end up. I believe it will be 7120, even if it's noisier. I just don't seem to RX any of you on 20m.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
@GreenDragon
20M has been long at net time. No worries, RF propagation may be an exact science but it's application isn't.
Rob
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I heard you at 23:15 on 20m, though someone was tuning on top of you.  
I didn't go to 40m so can't help there.
Hanging at 20m until instructed otherwise.

weap
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I copy Texas on 20m. I will  do the 5 min on 7120. Any responses on signals will be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#8]
W1911, if you could try 7120 at 5 min warning. You are probably the only 20m contact that I will make tonight.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
@GreenDragon
I'm tuned up on 40M
Rob
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreenDragon:
W1911, if you could try 7120 at 5 min warning. You are probably the only 20m contact that I will make tonight.
View Quote

Roger.  Wilco.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#12]
There are 2 no decodes out there. Will try to pull you in again after comments.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#13]
3 checkins plus NC, total 4.

2 stations we weren't able to get. I had 0% decode on them.
Would like to know who and what area they are from.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Great net GreenDragon TNX 73, Rob
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]
3 checkins plus NC, total 4.

2 stations we weren't able to get. I had 0% decode on them.
Would like to know who and what area they are from.
View Quote

I heard those as well, the tones didn't sound right for our mode. Basically  an IDK from here.
Rob
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for sticking around post net. I had a longer sign off thanking you, but i left the cursor in the middle when I hit submit. Tried to salvage it, but i jacked it up.

Rx problem was my slider on the right got moved up too high. My overall RX signal coming in seems weaker than normal.

My TX issue was a simple mistake. I shut down and rebooted FlDigi during the preamble to see if it would help. On reboot, it changed my radio from USB-D to USB. During TX, i looked at my meter and it was sending out 1/2watt. I looked up and saw USB, fixed it, and my signal out got much better.
View Quote
I ran for the first month or so like this.  Everyone would was giving me a good copy, but my copy rate was dismal. Best changes I did after that was:
  • low squelch
  • narrow receiver filter 600Hz
  • spent more time looking at and tuning audio input and output levels.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I should be around to NC this week as long and there's no thunderstorms too close at net time.

I'll start reminders at 2330Z on 20M as I've been doing lately, but will ask for reports on 40M right
after the first 2330Z reminder since it's looking like 20 has been iffy for some.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Fell down another HAM rabbit hole.  I started looking at ALE and then the ARQ and KISS interfaces in FLDIGI.   There is another app with fldigi called flarq that appears to offer connection oriented messaging with retries and acks.  Have any of you guys tried that?  It looks like point-to-point and not necessarily multi party.

I was thinking towards the idea of an automated net with checkin/connect, collision avoidance, fault detection, retries and auto-relay capabilities. I am not suggesting replacing the present net, as its the essential path to learning any of this stuff.

In the case where I wanted to establish reliable digital messaging over HF, I think automated would replace the slow, error prone, time intensive human interaction.  Are there other apps in the HAM world that do this?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
Fell down another HAM rabbit hole.  I started looking at ALE and then the ARQ and KISS interfaces in FLDIGI.   There is another app with fldigi called flarq that appears to offer connection oriented messaging with retries and acks.  Have any of you guys tried that?  It looks like point-to-point and not necessarily multi party.

I was thinking towards the idea of an automated net with checkin/connect, collision avoidance, fault detection, retries and auto-relay capabilities. I am not suggesting replacing the present net, as its the essential path to learning any of this stuff.

In the case where I wanted to establish reliable digital messaging over HF, I think automated would replace the slow, error prone, time intensive human interaction.  Are there other apps in the HAM world that do this?
View Quote

Winlink would be the big one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:54:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#20]
I setup two laptops with fldigi+flarq chattering through the onboard audio speakers and mic.  Run fldigi by default and a ARQ socket is opened. Start another session of flarq and it uses the connection to fldigi as a modem.

Not too bad.  It does a single point to point connection, beacon, simple text, email, and send file binary/text.   It uses many of the fldigi protocol suites, but not Olivia due to a limited char set.  MFSK and THOR seem to work.  The email and send file transmits by block and will ACK and resend missing blocks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm pretty sure MSFK is the main protocol for emcomm file stuff, so it makes sense it uses it.

We've played with that mode before, Olivia works where nothing else will, but MFSK, especially
the wider/higher tone count modes, was super super fast when prop was good. A bunch of us
complained that we couldn't type fast enough, lol.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Every Emcomm mode besides Winlink is ham hobby territory that's fun to mess witb. If you are actually supporting a served agency, you'll use Winlink. That doesn't make other modes less good, ARES used to like NBEMS (I think that's the name) but realistically Winlink is what's used by FEMA, ARC, etc.

I really miss being able to remotely operate my station. I've still not figured out how I used to power on and off my rig with 100% reliability. I keep missing nets as I'm not home when I used to just remote in, check in and then get back to my kids soccer game, dinner, or whatever. Looks like I'm missing another net tonight. I need to find some money to get another PC for the shack   priorities
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I will need to peel back the ARQ socket interface between the two to see if I can do what I want to do.  I know Olivia works with arq, it just can't handle encoding some of the special chars.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:32:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seek2] [#24]
Sending the first reminder now, then hopping over to 40M and I'll ask for reports there.

I made an oopsie 7120 KHz for 40M net
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#25]
So far 20M is looking better to me, with one 40M report in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Not sure you will RX my 40m response. S3 -10dB 40%, no callsign
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Not sure you will RX my 40m response. S3 -10dB 40%, no callsign
View Quote

You were 100% on 20M and 40M here, but 20M way way better.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#28]
You were 100% on 20m
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll  miss next warnings, but be there for net.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#30]
The net will be on 20M 14067.5 KHz in case there was any question.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:15:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#31]
Sorry operator error.
100% from AZ
1% from IL
100% from MO
0% from OH
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice net, I do think conditions got a little rougher the later it got, we're probably not
that far from 40M outperforming 20M at 0000Z.. maybe another month?

We had four stations including one I hadn't seen in a while check in, plus NC for 5 stations in net.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I heard 2 stations in Colorado.  Maybe repeat the call for relays?  I never know when to jump in.  

Thanks for running the net.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:55:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: limaxray] [#34]
Boosted my output to 45w after check-in came back as "near ghost levels"--did that help?  (Rig is an FT-891/FC50 tuner on a 40m EFHW pointing NW.)  

My geography isn't great (I've got a 300' hill for about 120° to the north of me, and the power lines to my neighbor's houses run almost the entire length of my property, i.e., parallel to my antenna and off to the side about 60 feet), and my antenna isn't the best for, well, anything but receive.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By limaxray:
Boosted my output to 45w after check-in came back as "near ghost levels"--did that help?  (Rig is an FT-891/FC50 tuner on a 40m EFHW pointing NW.)  

My geography isn't great (I've got a 300' hill for about 120° to the north of me, and the power lines to my neighbor's houses run almost the entire length of my property, i.e., parallel to my antenna and off to the side about 60 feet), and my antenna isn't the best for, well, anything but receive.  
View Quote

Propagation was a factor as well, I could see 20M getting weaker overall, but yes, boosting power helped and I
know I copied most of your message and saw a lot more on the waterfall than when you checked in.

The hill really isn't much of a factor at HF. I have a mountain that's about 1500' higher than my house directly to the east of me
(which is pretty much where everyone on the next is) and less than a mile away... not an issue, and a hill that's not even in
the path won't affect much. The power line might be absorbing some of your signal, especially parallel -- I bet a vertical
would do wonders in that situation.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By cobullseye:
I heard 2 stations in Colorado.  Maybe repeat the call for relays?  I never know when to jump in.  

Thanks for running the net.
View Quote
You probably need someone in the east to echo the call for checkins.  You have those annoying Rockies in the way or the skip zone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
You probably need someone in the east to echo the call for checkins.  You have those annoying Rockies in the way or the skip zone.
View Quote

I've been hearing everyone direct for so long I've gotten a bit lax about calling for relays, I'll try to do that next week.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:07:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: limaxray] [#38]
Originally Posted By seek2:
The power line might be absorbing some of your signal, especially parallel -- I bet a vertical
would do wonders in that situation.
View Quote

There's...issues with going vertical.  The Chief of Domestic Engineering, Resources and Operations is not really keen on the big antenna idea, so I'm trying to keep it low-key.  

Oh, and I'm in my upper 50s, so the 28° slope on my roof terrifies me....

I think I posted this before in another thread here:
Attachment Attached File

Blue is the property line.

Black is the structures (house and detached garage).

Red are the power lines to my and the neighbor's houses.

Purple is my current antenna, runs from the gutter to a tree.  Pretty parallel to the ground about 15ft all the way.

Green dashed is my planned antenna.  Going to go from a dormer on my second story down to the back of the garage.  Should slope from about 30ft to 10.  Except the first third of that is 8 sloping to 4 feet over a metal roof, who knows what THAT'S going to do to my signal.

Last time I posted this, asking for antenna advice, more than one person suggested "move."  
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By limaxray:

There's...issues with going vertical.  The Chief of Domestic Engineering, Resources and Operations is not really keen on the big antenna idea, so I'm trying to keep it low-key.  

Oh, and I'm in my upper 50s, so the 28° slope on my roof terrifies me....

I think I posted this before in another thread here:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30315/Antenna_plan_jpg-2937942.JPG

Blue is the property line.

Black is the structures (house and detached garage).

Red are the power lines to my and the neighbor's houses.

Purple is my current antenna, runs from the gutter to a tree.  Pretty parallel to the ground about 15ft all the way.

Green dashed is my planned antenna.  Going to go from a dormer on my second story down to the back of the garage.  Should slope from about 30ft to 10.  Except the first third of that is 8 sloping to 4 feet over a metal roof, who knows what THAT'S going to do to my signal.

Last time I posted this, asking for antenna advice, more than one person suggested "move."  
View Quote

How tall is the tree? Any chance of being able to run coax underground (doesn't have to be more than a couple inches) to the base of it?

You could do a stealth vertical running a wire up the tree, tuner at the base, and a handful of short buried radials. No one would notice it.

Your situation is so compromised horizontally you can make a lot of sub-optimal changes to a vertical and still
come out ahead. Even a loaded vertical like a buddistick would probably do decently and that's a lot of compromise
(FWIW I used a buddiestick for my WSPR beacon years ago, on 80M no less, and that got out impressively well.)

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#40]
I was only able to hear the NCS, I imagine 20M was pretty long at that point.
Rob
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By robmkivseries70:
I was only able to hear the NCS, I imagine 20M was pretty long at that point.
Rob
View Quote

IIRC, i copied you almost 100%. Surprising, since we are relatively close.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#42]
@GreenDragon
That might be on me, I literally came up from watching "Key Largo", (hurricane movie), turned on the rig, set the audio
path and tuned the antenna tuner. I was just in time for 'late check in'. I think I missed everybody else except the NCS.
Rob
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By seek2:

How tall is the tree? Any chance of being able to run coax underground (doesn't have to be more than a couple inches) to the base of it?

You could do a stealth vertical running a wire up the tree, tuner at the base, and a handful of short buried radials. No one would notice it.

Your situation is so compromised horizontally you can make a lot of sub-optimal changes to a vertical and still
come out ahead. Even a loaded vertical like a buddistick would probably do decently and that's a lot of compromise
(FWIW I used a buddiestick for my WSPR beacon years ago, on 80M no less, and that got out impressively well.)

View Quote

The tree vertical is a pretty good idea.  I might start a separate thread to explore it (don't want to clutter up this one).
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Apologies for the last minute change but we need a volunteer NC this week,
I'm still coming out of sedation from some minor surgery and can only slowly
type or operate tech. Should be fine next week.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:05:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#45]
I have some weird experiments for the NET today.  I have some BOT code hooked up to FLDIGI using the ARQ interface.  Its the start of a Net control BOT, but I have auto-relay running it in.  

I am running a 5 min advertisement (will turn this off for the net) like this:

<SA>my-call-sign:ARF Test - accepting req</SA>

To use my radio as a relay, send the message below.  Be sure all the  and  tags and ':' separator chars are in the right places in the first and last line.   Use a few '..' before the whole message.  You should see you message wrapped in a response tag and sent back.  This should help someone in your skip zone see your original message.  You can send a relay message in a single line as well.

To try it, send a request like this:

<RR>my-callsign:your-callsign:other-callsign:
My message
text
whatever.
</RR>

I also have implemented check in and check out messages

check in
<CI>my-callsign:your-callsign</CI>

check out
<CO>my-callsign:your-callsign</CO>

This will add your Call to the 5 min message for who is on the net.  This is just experimental for now.

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm a little slow on the uptake, are you running net as NCS tonight with this?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm a little slow on the uptake, are you running net as NCS tonight with this?
View Quote
I was planning on just trying to do relay. If you want to take a ride down 'strange', we could see.

You can run it if you want the standard format.  Give my Relay bot a try in any case.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll send out a 30 minute warning on 14067.5.

20m will be the best bet for me to need a relay.

I'll try to decipher what you've got in mind, not sure that I'll be able to come up with anything 1/2 before net.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:34:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#49]
I'll send out a 30 minute warning on 14067.5.

20m will be the best bet for me to need a relay.

I'll try to decipher what you've got in mind, not sure that I'll be able to come up with anything 1/2 before net.
View Quote
No worry.  If anyone is having trouble hearing you and can see the pre-net messages they can try it for relay.

Mainly just wrapping a relay message with the <RR> and </RR> lines above.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#50]
So, it looks like this is mainly for other stations to check in, check out, or get relayed into the net.

Is there something that the net controller should or can do with this setup?

Page / 38
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top