BCM
User Panel

Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 17 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

Not bad. We've bought them at abt $40to $50 over the years, longer ago less, and have maybe 3 and also from Harbor Freight, theirs are similar. Plus another 6 or so bought at farm stores like Tractor Supply in CA, years ago.

The thing in particular to look for is the cap.

If it's plastic, then I don't like those as well as the ones with the old military style flat metal cap with the 4 tabs turned up on the perimeter to help unscrew it.

A few years ago the caps were metal, now they seem to be plastic. I will say the 'rubber' gasket in the plastic caps swells up.

I ordered some Viton to make new gaskets but haven't gotten around to it.

All in all, I think used Sceptre MFC's would be a better investment at half again the cost. That's what we use mostly cause I anticipated their future scarcity and glad I did.

If I could find more metal cans at the farm stores or H-F, with the flat metal cap, I'd git them.

Most folks I've observed, don't have the sense needed to take care of the metal cans and prevent the bottoms from rusting because of the way they are stored. So be careful.

ETA, are you sure you can still get the Fleet Farm cans with the jerry style cap. Don't think so...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dispatch55126:
How are the Fleet Farm Jerry Cans?

They're made (or at least sold under the Midwest name) and come with either a screw cap or traditional jerry can spout.

Not bad. We've bought them at abt $40to $50 over the years, longer ago less, and have maybe 3 and also from Harbor Freight, theirs are similar. Plus another 6 or so bought at farm stores like Tractor Supply in CA, years ago.

The thing in particular to look for is the cap.

If it's plastic, then I don't like those as well as the ones with the old military style flat metal cap with the 4 tabs turned up on the perimeter to help unscrew it.

A few years ago the caps were metal, now they seem to be plastic. I will say the 'rubber' gasket in the plastic caps swells up.

I ordered some Viton to make new gaskets but haven't gotten around to it.

All in all, I think used Sceptre MFC's would be a better investment at half again the cost. That's what we use mostly cause I anticipated their future scarcity and glad I did.

If I could find more metal cans at the farm stores or H-F, with the flat metal cap, I'd git them.

Most folks I've observed, don't have the sense needed to take care of the metal cans and prevent the bottoms from rusting because of the way they are stored. So be careful.

ETA, are you sure you can still get the Fleet Farm cans with the jerry style cap. Don't think so...

My store still carries them.  $40 for the screw lid, $70 for the jerry flip-up with spout.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it ok to store just 5 gallons in 20 liter cans? I know full is 5.3ish gallons and most are recommending full as better than partially full. Am I good to go with just 5 gal or is that leaving too much headspace?
Especially since its winter now and the fuel will expand by summer.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems I've read not to store these cans on a concrete floor? How do you guys store yours off the floor? Mine will be in my shop - uninsulated, concrete floored pole barn.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By number9XD:
Seems I've read not to store these cans on a concrete floor? How do you guys store yours off the floor? Mine will be in my shop - uninsulated, concrete floored pole barn.

View Quote

I think your talking about Batteries. Ive never heard of storing on concrete, unless your area has high moisture content and you could rust the bottom.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By njitmetal:
Is it ok to store just 5 gallons in 20 liter cans? I know full is 5.3ish gallons and most are recommending full as better than partially full. Am I good to go with just 5 gal or is that leaving too much headspace?
Thanks!
View Quote

Any metal ones I store on pink rigid foam insulation.

If it's humid, maybe prime the bottoms.

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By die-tryin:

I think your talking about Batteries. Ive never heard of storing on concrete, unless your area has high moisture content and you could rust the bottom.
View All Quotes

The cans will outlive you no matter where you store them, unless you're storing in a salt water bath..
Batteries on the floor is a myth, they'll be fine there too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

Just keep in mind that concrete is porous and wet conditions outside will tend to make a concrete floor damp on the inside, especially in unheated spaces. Getting them just a little off the ground, especially if air can get in underneath, takes care of that.  1x3 lathe sleepers would do fine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 5:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#8]
The metal cans will most definitely rust on the bottom welded/rolled seams if left on a slightly damp concrete floor.

Tape a piece of Mylar film about a foot square onto the floor in your basement. Watch what condenses on the film after a couple days.

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By njitmetal:
Thanks!

I use rattle-can truck bed liner for the same.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By R2point0:

Just keep in mind that concrete is porous and wet conditions outside will tend to make a concrete floor damp on the inside, especially in unheated spaces. Getting them just a little off the ground, especially if air can get in underneath, takes care of that.  1x3 lathe sleepers would do fine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R2point0:

Thanks guys, I'll build a stand / platform to store them on up off the floor.

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#12]
What would you all suggest for taking spray paint off Scepter MFCs ? I'm waiting to receive a few that were painted yellow for JP8

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By di1uted:
What would you all suggest for taking spray paint off Scepter MFCs ? I'm waiting to receive a few that were painted yellow for JP8

View Quote

The paint may rub off pretty quick with regular use.

IIRC Grove painted his with a special paint that was supposed to stick to plastic but the paint came off quick.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#14]
anyone know where I can get some of the wide mouth NATO jerry cans? the flip open style with gasket and cam lock? I bought some years ago from CTD and wish I could get a few more I don't care about spouts or really if the cans are new or used I just want the wide mouth style.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By kkunz:
anyone know where I can get some of the wide mouth NATO jerry cans? the flip open style with gasket and cam lock? I bought some years ago from CTD and wish I could get a few more I don't care about spouts or really if the cans are new or used I just want the wide mouth style.
View Quote

I got mine from a guy on ebay but that was a couple years ago. you might try looking there. I did a directdeal for 10 and he cut me a break on price.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I made it through 33 pages of the fuel can oracle and managed to pick up 8 of the new NATO cans.

I came across an old USGI can on craigslist. Hard to tell from the pics, but does this look like a large mouth water can, or a standard fuel can?

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 2:23:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#17]
Originally Posted By sixtyfive:
Well I made it through 33 pages of the fuel can oracle and managed to pick up 8 of the new NATO cans.

I came across an old USGI can on craigslist. Hard to tell from the pics, but does this look like a large mouth water can, or a standard fuel can?

http://images.craigslist.org/01414_e7Uu04AkXaa_600x450.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/00101_evdF6KQAKs6_600x450.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/00909_4FfIan3kVGX_600x450.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/01414_bYzZIU0LijY_600x450.jpg
View Quote

That is an old USGI water can.

Metal USGI fuel cans have screw caps.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By zlman:

The cans will outlive you no matter where you store them, unless you're storing in a salt water bath..
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zlman:

I've seen WWII jerry cans dug out of the ground of Eastern Europe that were ugly but usable.  Can't image that they won't outlast anyone on this forum in anything like normal usage.

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sixtyfive:

http://images.craigslist.org/01414_e7Uu04AkXaa_600x450.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/00101_evdF6KQAKs6_600x450.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/00909_4FfIan3kVGX_600x450.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/01414_bYzZIU0LijY_600x450.jpg

yeah, his looked pretty good!
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:38:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: di1uted] [#20]

Will I run into any issues with the gaskets since they were once used for JP8 and now I plan on using them for gasoline?
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#21]
http://i.imgur.com/1J7qIe9h.jpg

Will I run into any issues with the gaskets since they were once used for JP8 and now I plan on using them for gasoline?
View Quote

You might. Take a look at the gaskets. I have a few MFCs that were used with av fuel and they appeared to have rubber gaskets and not viton gaskets. I switched them out for viton. Whenever I have chanced it and used the rubber gaskets with regular gas they end up shrinking just a little and cracking my flanges.  It doesn't happen right away but I think it is cheaper to change out the gaskets then to buy flanges down the road. There are aftermarket viton that are dark like the rubber gaskets, but the OEM viton gaskets are sort of a lighter grey color. Once you see one they are easy to spot.

Do you plan on taking the paint/markings off those cans? Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Like LE6920 said, if you have rubber gaskets and pit gas in your MFCs, it likely crack the flanges off of your lids.

They'll probably end up looking like a bunch of my new MFCs did when I didn't heed everyone's warnings.

The flanges are replaceable, but it's better not to break them.LOL  You can source viton gaskets from arfcom board member Vatopa.  I pm'ed him and he hooked me right up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LE6920:

You might. Take a look at the gaskets. I have a few MFCs that were used with av fuel and they appeared to have rubber gaskets and not viton gaskets. I switched them out for viton. Whenever I have chanced it and used the rubber gaskets with regular gas they end up shrinking just a little and cracking my flanges.  It doesn't happen right away but I think it is cheaper to change out the gaskets then to buy flanges down the road. There are aftermarket viton that are dark like the rubber gaskets, but the OEM viton gaskets are sort of a lighter grey color. Once you see one they are easy to spot.

View All Quotes

I'd like to take it off just haven't figured out how I'm going to do it without being abrasive to the cans
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Put one of the gaskets in a jar with gas and see if it swells in a day or 2. If so, them DON'T use them for gas and order Viton.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:29:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#26]

I'd like to take it off just haven't figured out how I'm going to do it without being abrasive to the cans
View All Quotes

Just use paint stripper, not the envirowacky type. Gasoline might work too, as well as brake cleaner with trichloroethylene or whatever in it, not the watered down stuff.

You want the stripper with methylene chloride somethingorother in it, Home Depot or any paint store.

Test some on a small area of the can first to make sure it doesn't attack the plastic..

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Put one of the gaskets in a jar with gas and see if it swells in a day or 2. If so, them DON'T use them for gas and order Viton.
View All Quotes

This will work, but you have 2 indicators that you probably need to change the gaskets.
1. the tan MFC are diesel cans. The military uses way more diesel than mogas these days.
2. JP8 is kerosene based, so it only needs the same gaskets as for diesel.

Personally, for the cost, I would change them out to viton anyway.
As others mentioned I got them cheap from a member here named vatopa.

Also, if you get the large diesel spouts, you need to change out the rubber "O" ring for a viton one as well.

This is my O-ring after using is a couple of times with gas:
(cracked all to hell)

and the spout with a viton O-ring from vatopa:

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 3:09:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#28]

View All Quotes

I would either go to a carwash and hit them with a high pressure hose, or use a power washer at home.
As you can see, the paint does not stick very well to the plastic.

Gasoline would probably work as well and would not mar or damage the cans.

Since I store gas, diesel and kerosene, I had a surplus store print me up some dogtags.
On the back of the dogtag, I put a stripe of white medical tape (cloth) and write the date I filled the can:
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:22:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JimE2] [#29]
Don't know if anyone noticed, but Atlantic British Ltd. AKA Roverparts.com has a "sale" going on for their green NATO cans.

Edit: Link for one $35.95
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JimE2:
Don't know if anyone noticed, but Atlantic British Ltd. AKA Roverparts.com has a "sale" going on for their green NATO cans.

View Quote

It's showing up $44.95 today. I must have just missed it
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Whoa! I guess I'm lucky, and got in on the tail end of that sale.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Shows $37.95 right now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By grimhollow:

Shows $37.95 right now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By grimhollow:

Shows $37.95 right now.

I didn't let it get away this time... Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#34]
better deal on the 4 cans though.  

4 cans shipped for 44.54 each.

52.89 for just one can shipped.

I am gonna get four more.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:02:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CNZ302] [#36]
Is there something wrong with the ebay ones? Specifically these?

ebay link to jerry cans - set of 4

Also, would I need to add gaskets myself or do they come with? I will probably pick some up as spares either way but I need to know how many to get.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:20:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#37]
Originally Posted By CNZ302:

Also, would I need to add gaskets myself or do they come with? I will probably pick some up as spares either way but I need to know how many to get.
View Quote

Yes, I am sure its mentioned in this thread at least once.
Unless you can verify where they are made,
usually, when the listing says "Military Style" - it means "Made in China"

People have reported the Chinese made knock-offs have cheap, weak welds, metal can be thin and the interior of the cans may not be lined.
Some have said they work fine.... at least they did when they got them, I don't remember seeing any reports how they hold up after using them for a year.

a roll of the dice, so to speak.

ETA: If you scroll through his negative feedback, someone mentioned (page 2) that 3 of the cans were rusted inside....
guess these are not lined.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CNZ302] [#38]

People have reported the Chinese made knock-offs have cheap, weak welds, metal can be thin and the interior of the cans may not be lined.
Some have said they work fine.... at least they did when they got them, I don't remember seeing any reports how they hold up after using them for a year.

ETA: If you scroll through his negative feedback, someone mentioned (page 2) that 3 of the cans were rusted inside....
View All Quotes

Thanks. I guess I'll get them at deutscheoptik.com. I didn't get read this while thread yet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:05:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CNZ302] [#39]
Fail...tried to edit and accidentally quoted...
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#40]
The Atlantic British sale on the jerry cans is not as good of a deal as the free shipping they sometimes offer.  Just something to think about if you're thinking about buying.  I got mine last year during their free shipping July 4th sale.  I'm hoping they have it again this year.  I love the 20 and 10 liter cans I have now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I noticed that it seems every person that sells the new Jerry cans that are green says it is against federal law to carry gas in them. The main reason I'm getting these cans are to extend my range in case of a natural disaster or bug out and I'll have fuel in them all the time.

Will I have any issues if a cop sees them in my truck?
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:22:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#42]
I noticed that it seems every person that sells the new Jerry cans that are green says it is against federal law to carry gas in them. The main reason I'm getting these cans are to extend my range in case of a natural disaster or bug out and I'll have fuel in them all the time.

View Quote

I doubt it.
The regulations state that in order to manufacture and sell gas cans in the U.S. they have to meet certain standards.
Since those cans do not meet the standards (i.e. CARB compliant) they cannot be sold as gas cans.
ETA:
The jerry cans themselves are NOT the problem.
The problem is that the spouts are not self-sealing, meaning,
they do not close automatically when not in use.

The whole issue with these cans from the .gov perspective, is if you leave them stting with the spout on, the fuel will evaporate.

Blitz (before they were forced out of business) was able to continue selling their metal jerry type cans because they included a CARB approved self sealing nozzle.
Which was easily replaced.
Unfortunately, Blitz succumbed to lawsuit abuse.

Short answer is.... their statement is a CYA.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:54:37 AM EDT
[#43]

I doubt it.
The regulations state that in order to manufacture and sell gas cans in the U.S. they have to meet certain standards.
Since those cans do not meet the standards (i.e. CARB compliant) they cannot be sold as gas cans.
ETA:

The whole issue with these cans from the .gov perspective, is if you leave them stting with the spout on, the fuel will evaporate.

Blitz (before they were forced out of business) was able to continue selling their metal jerry type cans because they included a CARB approved self sealing nozzle.

View All Quotes

I doubt it.
ETA:

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to order the set of four from roverparts.com.

Still cheaper with shipping than DO.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:37:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunwritr] [#44]
Originally Posted By James16688:
from another thread, are these legit?
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/nato-metal-jerry-can-20-liter-5-28-gallon-pm-mcan20l.html
View Quote

Yes.........brand new European manufactured NATO Jerry cans
$34.99 with free shipping on orders over $99

beat that..........
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Do the red Wavian cans use the same spouts as green NATO cans? I don't want to get into different attachment systems.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Gunwritr:

beat that..........
View All Quotes
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/nato-metal-jerry-can-20-liter-5-28-gallon-pm-mcan20l.html

beat that..........

Has anyone stored gas in these yet? I ordered 4 on them. They are VERY well made and durable .Mine has a sticker that says "made in Poland". My older NATO cans have an enamel coating inside. The new cans seem to have paint on the inside. Will this stand up to gas long term?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By jaschanks:

Has anyone stored gas in these yet? I ordered 4 on them. They are VERY well made and durable .Mine has a sticker that says "made in Poland". My older NATO cans have an enamel coating inside. The new cans seem to have paint on the inside. Will this stand up to gas long term?
View All Quotes

beat that..........

Ive been storing gas in mine for atleast 5 years or more. I fill with fuel and then add ethanol treatment and date them, i recycle the gas each year. Ive never had a problem with the gas, can or seals.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:03:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations] [#48]
Forgive me if this has already has been asked....

QUESTION:
How much fuel can a "citizen" normally/legally "transport" (in vehicle or trailer) without issue?
Scenario is, filling up multiple (like 10-20) five gallon ("D.O.T. Approved") fuel containers and transporting them from a fuel station to home (non-commercial) property.

What say you?

As always, thanks ahead of time
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Ive been storing gas in mine for atleast 5 years or more. I fill with fuel and then add ethanol treatment and date them, i recycle the gas each year. Ive never had a problem with the gas, can or seals.

View All Quotes

beat that..........

I went ahead and purchased four of these cans.  They don't seem to be as well made as those i have purchased in the past from AB and Lexington.  Still nice cans but I thought everyone might like the feedback.  The handles are not fully welded along the top of the can.  The inside appears to have the same green powder coating as the outside instead of the red/orange coating that the other had as jaschanks mentioned above.  One of the four did not have a NATO code stamped on it.  I don't have any way to measure it but the metal does not appear to be the same thickness as the AB/Lexington cans.  They do have the same ridged weld around the body of the can and they were all marked as made in Poland by GELG.  I think if I buy more it will be from AB or Lexington.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Call me crazy but I want red gas cans.
Ordered 4 of the 20L from Lexington along with two spouts today.
Sadly they are out of the 5L tiny cans but the website says should be back in stock the end of May.
I have two MFC's which have been filled for the past 2 years without any problems or leaks but they do swell.
This led to a problem getting them out of their storage shelf which is why I am going to try the metal cans.
Also the Jerry cans don't require a wrench to get them sufficiently tight or to remove the lid.
I will post when they arrive.
Page / 39
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 17 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top