Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Knife for field dressing (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2024 1:32:07 PM EDT
Recommend a tier one for basic field dressing. (not quartering or skinning)
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 1:34:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: User55645] [#1]
old timer

*I don't use guthook
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.montanaknifecompany.com/products/the-beartooth-pro-skinning-blade-orange-and-black

How much do you wanna spend?
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#3]
An ESEE Izula is the perfect size and blade shape.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:01:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nvcdl] [#4]
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:08:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Arty8] [#5]
ESEE 4 stainless for me.  Stays sharp for a couple of deer. Using a butt out makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an Abraham and Moses AM-2 drop point.  Probably the best knife I’ve ever used for gutting out deer.  Beautiful balance and is the perfect size to work inside a rib cage.

A&M 2
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Buck 110
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're serious about "tier 1" then you should probably look at Busse or CPK.

But any good 4-6" blade made by a reputable company these days works fine for gutting deer. Plain old Kabar or Cold Steel works great.

Buck now offers Magnacut as an option on custom blades, with a bunch of different models, a 119 would be a great knife, they have worked closely with Dr. Thomas on perfecting the heat treat process to get the most out of it. I have a 110 folder and I wouldn't hesitate to take it deer hunting.

I also have a special run 119 in 3V, pretty confident I could cut a car in half with it, lol.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:30:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#9]
ESSE RB3 Link
Topps Eagle Shadow
Buck 192 Link

About a 3 in blade no more than 4. When bloody it will get slick so designed to keep fingers from slipping onto the blade.

You want a saw for rib cage and pelvic bone Link

Skinning tool Link
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#10]
A Havalon. A buddy keeps one in his pocket and just replaces the blade like a box cutter each deer. Always razor sharp with zero effort, and they are $50.

..but it’s not a man knife.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve got a lot of knives but I always end up back at the Buck 692 my grandfather gave me 20 some years ago.

It’s got to have field dressed close to 100 whitetails by now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 4:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bankfraudguy] [#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

This.   And it is tier 1 because you wont hesitate to hand it to a buddy if they need it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bankfraudguy:

This.   And it is tier 1 because you wont hesitate to hand it to a buddy if they need it.
View Quote

I use a couple of these and a bone saw.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Anything sharp is fine. It’s not rocket science.

Trying to field dress game with a blade bigger than about 4” is suboptimal.  Big “tactical” knives suck.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Whats target species?

Buck 102.  I’d avoid anything too big for field dress.  

I keep a saddle mountain skinner with gut hook and buck 102 sharp and ready for whitetail hunting season.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Essee 3 for skinning. I never field dress. I take him to my cleaning station and debone him.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/hmzdi8.jpg
View Quote

+1000

Basic field knife that is easy to sharpen, keeps an edge, and does the job.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#21]

That was my deer camp party favor one year.
The year after my father in law forgot to pack a knife.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By VAbull:
Buck 110
View Quote

Too expensive anymore.
I gutted my first deer with one and then promptly bought a fixed blade after cleaning it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:
A Havalon. A buddy keeps one in his pocket and just replaces the blade like a box cutter each deer. Always razor sharp with zero effort, and they are $50.

..but it’s not a man knife.
View Quote

Not tier one for sure.
I picked up HMEs fixed blade version from MidwayUSA.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Winkler Knives.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
ESSE RB3 Link
Topps Eagle Shadow
Buck 192 Link

About a 3 in blade no more than 4. When bloody it will get slick so designed to keep fingers from slipping onto the blade.

You want a saw for rib cage and pelvic bone Link

Skinning tool Link
View Quote

I prefer the 692 with the rubber grips but I hate the sheath it comes with so I had to buy a leather one.

Amazon Product
  • RAZOR SHARP & VERSATILE- 4-1/8" Drop Point 420HC Steel Blade delivers excellent strength, edge retention, and corrosion resistance. The full bellied blade is suitable for heavier tasks. The downward tip minimizes accidental puncturing in field dressing

Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#26]
ESEE 3s and 4s, an ulu I made about 16 years ago, a few moras, and I keep a knapped obsidian chunk at the cabin with the hunting gear
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By MudBug:

I prefer the 692 with the rubber grips but I hate the sheath it comes with so I had to buy a leather one.

www.amazon.com/dp/B000EHUYQ4
View Quote

That sheath does suck.  I never actually wear it, it stays in my pack until I need it, but I do hate that sheath.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:58:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoImpactNoIdea] [#28]
I typically go into the backcountry or deep woods so I wanted something lightweight and compact.  I really like my PNWild (made by Grit City knives) Tamarack, I was in the USMC with Joel the maker.Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/18/2024 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Any love for the buck 103??

Red
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By badredfish:
Any love for the buck 103??

Red
View Quote

102+103 is a good combo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File

From left:
Rapid River Knife
Marble Arms
NAHC

I prefer the Marble Arms while my son prefers the  Rapid River.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Stryfe:

Not tier one for sure.
I picked up HMEs fixed blade version from MidwayUSA.
View Quote

Not at all. I used one of these two Lon Humphrey knives for the last 8yrs or so. Simple 1095, easy to sharpen, lots of soul.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 9:03:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#33]
Originally Posted By alacop:
Recommend a tier one for basic field dressing. (not quartering or skinning)
View Quote

What does that even mean? Skinning and quartering is field dressing. You mean only gutting?

Link Posted: 9/19/2024 1:26:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Anything sharp is fine. It's not rocket science.

Trying to field dress game with a blade bigger than about 4" is suboptimal.  Big "tactical" knives suck.
View Quote
Yep. I keep 3-4 pocket knives in my pack & switch them out when it dulls. Wash & sharpen when I get home.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 1:59:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Not at all. I used one of these two Lon Humphrey knives for the last 8yrs or so. Simple 1095, easy to sharpen, lots of soul.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505129/IMG_9413-3262673.jpg
View Quote
I have one of Lon's knives and it would be the last I'd pick to clean game. It has sharp edges on the finger stop/bolster that are just criminal for a hand tool made by a supposed craftsman. The forging marks are so deep that I consider them intentional poser marks, rather than being a result of honest anvil work. All kinds of nooks and crannies for gunk to accumulate.

Honestly, I hate that knife.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:

What does that even mean? Skinning and quartering is field dressing. You mean only gutting?

View Quote

I have always thought of field dressing as gutting.  Then it gets skinned and broken down either back at camp or somewhere else.

This is whitetail deer though, I know things are different when you’re out west and don’t have an easy way to move an entire elk besides packing it out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 9:14:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dirtyboy] [#37]
Originally Posted By nvcdl:

I use a couple of these and a bone saw.
View Quote

Bone saw?  Cordless sawzall much better.  2nd post nailed it, my best game knife is the Old Timer Sharpfinger, hope they compare to the original knifes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

That looks like bacteria heaven.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

@GingerShanks

Nice!  I love LonHumphrey blades.  He has amazing handles and I like his forging and heat treatment work. In his practical knives, he puts a lot of thought into handles and how they will fit in the hand and function.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#40]
I understand the love of a well-made, cool looking, expensive or "one off" knife.

But for pure "carry in the pack field dress a large mammal" knife, you can't beat a Havalon.
They never get dull, have a tiny caping blade up to a largish skinning/gutting knife, weigh almost nothing, and you won't cry if you lose it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ruffhowzer:
Yep. I keep 3-4 pocket knives in my pack & switch them out when it dulls. Wash & sharpen when I get home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ruffhowzer:
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Anything sharp is fine. It's not rocket science.

Trying to field dress game with a blade bigger than about 4" is suboptimal.  Big "tactical" knives suck.

Why would you need more than one?  Are you field dressing a dozen animals at a time?
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Skunkeye:
I have one of Lon's knives and it would be the last I'd pick to clean game. It has sharp edges on the finger stop/bolster that are just criminal for a hand tool made by a supposed craftsman. The forging marks are so deep that I consider them intentional poser marks, rather than being a result of honest anvil work. All kinds of nooks and crannies for gunk to accumulate.

Honestly, I hate that knife.
View Quote

Sharp edges are definitely a thing. Ryan Grizzle took a file to both when he was making the sheaths and smoothed everything out. Gunk does accumulate in those nooks and crannies, but that’s what water and a toothbrush is for.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By King_Mud:

View Quote

Lol, wut?
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#44]
My advice, is something thats comfortable in your hand and that when you grip it normally, your index finger can reach to within 1/2 of the tip. Lots of people get enormous knikes to go hunting with and the reality is a smaller knife that you have better control of is much more helpful for dressing a deer. if your knife is too big/ long you'll likely damage the tenderloins when cutting out the diaphragm, with give you real fits around the poopchute and is downright dangerous when you're reaching up into the neck with both hands working blind.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#45]
disposable #10 scalpels is the answer you seek
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 12:09:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#46]

Lol, wut?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By King_Mud:

Lol, wut?

From the pic it looks like the forge marks are a little over the top and super rough/deep, they would catch lots of gunk unless you toothbrushed them out regularly and some look like they're caves you'd have to dig at. Maybe it's just the pic though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JimPope:

I have always thought of field dressing as gutting.  Then it gets skinned and broken down either back at camp or somewhere else.
View Quote

This. The terms were interchangeable and every deer hunter i've ever known calls it one or the other and they mean just gutting it.

Some folks though also used to call it "cape-out", i'd never heard the term until the first time I took a deer to a guy who processed/packed the meat for you, he had a sign that said cape-out was an extra 20 bucks, I associated the word cape with skin so I thought he meant an extra 20 to skin it, but he just meant gutting it which I had already done.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#48]

This. The terms were interchangeable and every deer hunter i've ever known calls it one or the other and they mean just gutting it.

Some folks though also used to call it "cape-out", i'd never heard the term until the first time I took a deer to a guy who processed/packed the meat for you, he had a sign that said cape-out was an extra 20 bucks, I associated the word cape with skin so I thought he meant an extra 20 to skin it, but he just meant gutting it which I had already done.
View Quote

Around here, “caping out” is the process of skinning from in back of the shoulders to the base of the skull, with a cut in the long hairs of the back of the neck and from the armpit down the back of the elbow to midway down the front leg.
The “cape” being the part of the hide that gets tanned for a shoulder mount.
My taxidermist would rather do the head, ears, eyelids and lips himself as he thinks that’s where most people screw up.

“Field dressing” is whatever it takes to get it to your vehicle. Gutting, skinning, quartering, de-boning, whatever it takes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JimPope:

“Caping out” has nothing to do with gutting.  The cape is the skin from the neck and shoulders used for a shoulder mount from a taxidermist.

“Field dressing” is the set of game processing that’s done on site where you kill something (I.e. in the field). Most of the time that’s just gutting, but sometimes (like when you kill something far enough from civilization) breaking the carcass down to pack it out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Interesting review from a guy that cleans more game than most....

Red

Knives of Alaska Yukon Belt Knife Review
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Knife for field dressing (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top