BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
A local ham offered me an Icom IC-7200 and an Astron 30 amp power supply for $550.00.

Does that seem like a decent deal? I was gifted a Pelican case large enough to fit the IC-7200 and though it might try it as my alternate POTO radio.
View Quote

I think that's a great deal.  Not too long ago, I was offered $800 for mine (which has the factory carry handles) and the backpack.  I passed.  

Built like a tank.

I have noticed connecting to various apps can mysteriously turn on narrow filters, which results in no-decodes on something like JS8 or FT8.  No idea why it does this, and it's just as likely to be something on my PC or the collection of Amateur Radio apps fighting each other, but worth noting.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2024 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By PTR32Sooner:
Ive got one, while i love it, it is severely lacking when compared to my TS-590, or even my FT-857. there will be times where i'll have the 7200 on the same freq as my 590, the 72000 wont hear a damned thing while the 590 sounds like they are in the same room
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I read your post and found this thread about the IC-7200. The RX on mine is very good. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 11:12:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Amish_Bill] [#3]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/Screenshot_2024-10-07_213801_-_Copy_png-3343474.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/1728341888_5871_IC-7200-frequency-mods_p-3343473.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/IMG_0981_-_Copy_jpg-3343464.JPG

I removed a flea sized surface mount diode (D49) for the MARS mod on my Icom IC-7200.  I did this to make 60m FT8 more user friendly.

Man was that thing so damned tiny.  
View Quote

That diagram shows more changes - I'm guessing it's starting from a bare or fully populated board.
The US version has half the work done already. I'm hoping only removal of D49 is needed as you both said.

The video has a note that removing 53 and 54 for RX "didn't work" for him. Any ideas what this /should/ have done?

How to Fully Open Transmit on Icom IC-7200 and Test at the End

Link Posted: 10/9/2024 2:40:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#4]
I removed D49 and it opened up TX/RX from 1.8 to 30 MHz.  I didn't bother to take a photo of the board before the mod, so I can't tell you what other diodes were installed or what they do.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I opened up mine as well several years ago. I believe all that was necessary was to remove D49 if I remember correctly.  Works great. You do lose the edge of band beep notification, but otherwise everything else functions as normal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the latest (~1.94) version of wfview working with the 7200. Can share details of the config here if anyone wants it or the ongoing thread on their forum has a bunch of details which may help others troubleshoot their setups.

Client tablet has a KH-23 headset, Bluetooth mouse (Logitech M-550) and the Icom RC-28 remote encoder attached. All work slick. Remote activation of an antenna tuner and lots of other niceties are supported in this release and I'm after the team to make a few more changes to the UI for this rig pre-2.0.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 6:30:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Amish_Bill] [#8]
by all means, please post your notes
knowledge is best when shared
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 6:57:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#9]
Originally Posted By PTR32Sooner:
Ive got one, while i love it, it is severely lacking when compared to my TS-590, or even my FT-857. there will be times where i'll have the 7200 on the same freq as my 590, the 72000 wont hear a damned thing while the 590 sounds like they are in the same room
View Quote

the KENWOOD TS-590 is a wonderful rig.

Link Posted: 10/13/2024 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

the KENWOOD TS-590 is a wonderful rig.

https://i.imgur.com/duRs3hz.jpg
View Quote

The 590SG is the last HF transceiver I would get rid of.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:

The 590SG is the last HF transceiver I would get rid of.
View Quote

me too

LOVE IT

Link Posted: 10/14/2024 6:13:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HogSniper] [#12]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

me too

LOVE IT

View Quote

Same here, love my 590!
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the easier radios to really master IMO but was an average receiver when it was new.  They really need to make a new version with a similar interface.  Some of the best from the 7300 or 7410 with the looks of the 7200.   They updates the 718 but haven’t heard how much better it is now.   I could see the ft710 from yaesu as the next darling
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
by all means, please post your notes
knowledge is best when shared
View Quote

The latest published version of wfview is 1.65 - which has very minimal support for the 7200. To get the latest enhancements (v1.94+) you have to build from source and issue the "creator-widgets" argument against the build script. This is easy to do in Linux and links to the build script can be found on the Developer's Corner area of the wfview website.

Once installed on client and server device, configure the Radio Server section of the program on the server PC. "Half Duplex" will cause the program to crash every single time. Set it to Full Duplex. Joe is likely removing this choice in future builds. The audio devices and audio system should be set to use the two Burr-Brown devices (one for input; the other output) via the QT Audio drop-down. Set the radio to use a USB connection (in Radio Access) and set a user name/password (in the Radio Server section). Connect the 7200's rear panel USB interface to a USB jack on the host system - you're using it for audio I/O as well as CAT control.

On the client: If using an RC-28 remote, there are instructions on the support forum for adding a profile to the /etc/rules.d directory to allow users to access USB HIDs. Once this is done and the client launched you should be able to go to the "External Control" section of the Settings dialog, select the RC-28 and configure its buttons. Use QT Audio here - your headset must be registered as a Hands-Free Profile (HFP) device in Bluetooth Manager. Select "source" and "sink" for the input and output devices appropriately. My KH-23 shows up as a "bluez...source" and "bluez...sink" if HFP is selected. RX and TX Codecs should be selected next; Opus and LCPM 2ch/1ch seem to work be with regards to network latency for me. In Radio Access, enter the IP address of your host server, along with the user/pass you entered on server setup.

On the server side, "Connect to radio" via the button. Once the display indicates sync, do same from the client PC. If all was configured properly you should get audio in the headset and the various buttons, sliders and whatnot allow control of the radio remotely. I'd try this operation in the same room so one can get a feel of how things work before trying it at a distance. Note you may have to play with the TX and RX Latency sliders (in the client Settings - Radio Access area) to minimize audio dropouts. Experiment with what works best for your specific LAN.

I configured my RC-28's setting as: Knob is VFO A, left button and LED2 is NB On/Off as a Toggle, right button and LED3 is NR On/Off  (same), and the big button as PTT On/PTT Off (momentary) with LED1 as its indicator. You have to hold the button to transmit. Releasing it puts the rig back into RX.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top