Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have thought about Making something with the 1$store air horns. Put it in a tube with a weight that falls and out  the alarm on a trip wire. Wake ppl up for miles and scare them off i would think.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I'm getting ready to take my kids camping (state park). I'm always paranoid about predators....two legged and four legged.

When I used to man an LP/OP in the Army with my guys we'd dental floss the shit out of our position.  Nothing you can't run through at break neck speed (and it'll cut you up!), but you can't be stealthy through it.

Anyway, I was thinking in addition to a motion sensor doorbell ringer I put next to the tent I was going to get some of These

Anyone ever use these?  Just don't want anyone sneaking up on my position. Sorry, the paranoid infantryman in me
Sylvania 72178 Motion Activated Battery Powered Safety Light
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mqpttl7q51hxS9N8asnoJRQ.jpg
View Quote

I'm in the same boat on my private land in KY. Have a couple hundred acres of woods and the surrounding area contains some not-so-nice hillbilly meth head types.

10 or 15 years ago I never gave it a second thought, even though I was always well armed. Now, with the cabin having been burnt down by yokels partying, I'm apprehensive sleeping out in a tent, especially with the kiddos.

I used a couple trip wire signal devices on probable approaches. I'm in to hear other folk's ideas for this issue.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I make and use the 12gauge blank/flare alarms, and generally try to put them about 50yds out from where I am bedding down.

Mono-filament works great as line and you can use eye hooks to zigzag line between trees to make a kind of net so the line can't be easily crawled under or stepped over.
View Quote

Mono filament is stretchy. If someone knows what they're doing, it can give away the trip line.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Mono filament is stretchy. If someone knows what they're doing, it can give away the trip line.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I make and use the 12gauge blank/flare alarms, and generally try to put them about 50yds out from where I am bedding down.

Mono-filament works great as line and you can use eye hooks to zigzag line between trees to make a kind of net so the line can't be easily crawled under or stepped over.

Zigzagging trip wire/line can introduce so much friction, that the perp will trip over the line before the alarm goes off. Try it.

Perimeter alarms DO HAVE a place and an important one.

Depends on the ap.

The issue I see here is folks going all negativity and instead of discussing how to refine/design/optimize/apply ---various types of alarms...

They pointlessly argue abt their use without ever defining the specific application or device type.

There's a LOT of insight to be gained by observing how various posters address the issue.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you think it's completely ridiculous to set up some sort of camp security when you're out in the woods; why own or carry a gun?  It's the same logic used by liberals, "if you don't feel safe where you are move."  "If you think you need to carry a gun don't go to places where you don't feel safe" or "what kind of crazy person thinks they need to own a gun because of some irrational fear that someone will try to rob you which really never happens."  I can actually find those statements on anti-gun boards and in this thread, and that's sad.  

Fact is just like out in the city, I worry about my kids just as much in the woods.  You can cal it whatever you want but it's responsible parenting to take you kids out into the woods and teach them what it's like.  It's completely irresponsible to stop worrying about their safety because there are trees around you instead of buildings.  I would actually go a step further and say if you stop worrying about and preparing for the safety of your children because you're in a nylon tent on the dirt, you're a bad parent.  Are car seats crazy too?  What about smoke alarms?  Security systems?  I never stop worrying about my kids no matter how pretty the scenery is, I'm sorry you have a switch where you stop giving a fuck and you feel the need to try to jump on someone who is, unlike you, forced to be burdened with actually caring about his kids 100% of the time.  If you don't have kids then you should just make it a point to not comment on the worries of a parent.  Danger, human or animal, doesn't stop because the wilderness is a hobby for you.
View Quote

Aye!
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I was watching Moonshiners the other day, and one of the guys was using these.  I was thinking it might be something worth taking when camping in remote spaces.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If you really want the ultimate, get a TRC-3 Seismic Sensor Set. If you set them on the highest setting, it will trigger with raindrops, or a frog hopping! Best to set it much lower though!

Look up the stats on it, you'll be impressed! I use it to monitor critters (deer) invading my garden, but the uses are endless. Can't be defeated, and batteries will last about 60 days, and easy to relpace (9v). Wireless, easily hidden, and a wireless range of about a half mile.  Weatherproof too! Were used in Nam.Resets itself too. A full set has four sensors with each sensor having it's own code. The set has a receiver, but extras can be purchased or it can be programed into a handheld scanner.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you really want the ultimate, get a TRC-3 Seismic Sensor Set. If you set them on the highest setting, it will trigger with raindrops, or a frog hopping! Best to set it much lower though!

Look up the stats on it, you'll be impressed! I use it to monitor critters (deer) invading my garden, but the uses are endless. Can't be defeated, and batteries will last about 60 days, and easy to relpace (9v). Wireless, easily hidden, and a wireless range of about a half mile.  Weatherproof too! Were used in Nam.Resets itself too. A full set has four sensors with each sensor having it's own code. The set has a receiver, but extras can be purchased or it can be programed into a handheld scanner.

View Quote

This

Check out the latest prices..  

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh they ain't cheap! That's why I say it's the ultimate! I'm glad I got mine when they were reasonably priced. They're very portable too!

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh they ain't cheap! That's why I say it's the ultimate! I'm glad I got mine when they were reasonably priced. They're very portable too!

View Quote

I reverse engineered them. Took a long time to draw the schematic, parts list, block diagram, and fully [almost] understand how they work.

They have a lot of parts that after 40 years are prone to fail.

And yep, USED to be cheap.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep! I have several sets, and some spare parts as a result. Interesting that the antenna can be made from an old tape measure! Have you noticed that if you have duplicate sensors in the same frequency, that they even have their own signature beep? I've found that I can use as many as ten sensors in a set, and know each one by it's sound!

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I reverse engineered them. Took a long time to draw the schematic, parts list, block diagram, and fully [almost] understand how they work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always wanted a set too.  I missed the boat on price!

I wish the Chicoms would make us some sweet knock-off sets (of decent quality) about like they do for Baofengs....

Expy:  Call China and get them on this!  I need a set for my house.

Serious side:

Ranger:  I get what you mean too man.  I have no idea why so many people are getting bent out of shape.  Tell us what you decide on.  Also-- I have the Harbor Freight driveway alarms pictured earlier.  They do work pretty well for cheap.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Another option.
www.gofastandlight.com/Portable-Motion-Sensing-Perimeter-Alarm-for-Camp-and-Tent/productinfo/E-DBL-MOTION/

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was watching Moonshiners the other day, and one of the guys was using these.  I was thinking it might be something worth taking when camping in remote spaces.

View Quote

Thanks for the link!  I've never seen that one.  Might be a nice one to have if it works well.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the driveway alarms too, but allot of false alarms. Nothing really seems to be foolproof though, especially in the great outdoors! Lots of roaming critters!
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I use a solar rechargeable light similar to the one in the link on my pop-up camper canopy pole. It comes on with movement to scare off critters near the coolers, illuminates the coolers when I need a 'beverage', and works as a door light too.
Solar Rechargable Motion Light

The one I have uses nicad AA batteries, so I can even use a normal charger to keep them topped up.
This isn't the exact one, they have cheaper ones on Deal Xtreme, but you have to wait longer on the orders.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm thinking you should probably camp in your backyard if you're deathly afraid of the boogie man.  Grow a pair!
View Quote

That was uncalled for.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree! One can only think that Karma may kick and give him a pair of something as well!
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#20]
i have no problem with perimter security. i can care less what the Arfcom Libtards think.
i sleep with a suppressed M4 next to me anytime i camp. ashame about the ONF, there is scumbags everywhere,
but when your away on a weekend or vacation its easy to let your gaurd down. i dont. i have no problem doing WHATEVER i need
to do to survive an encounter with a scumbag.  

ive raced dirtikes at Hardrock Cycle Park in Ocala. not sure where that is in relation to the Forest.
i love the woods. the more remote the better.  who are these rainbow people ? WTF is thier problem ?   i can care less about
wildlife.. animals dont bother me. two legged dirtbag critters do though....lol.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

i have no problem with perimter security. i can care less what the Arfcom Libtards think.

i sleep with a suppressed M4 next to me anytime i camp. ashame about the ONF, there is scumbags everywhere,

but when your away on a weekend or vacation its easy to let your gaurd down. i dont. i have no problem doing WHATEVER i need

ive raced dirtikes at Hardrock Cycle Park in Ocala. not sure where that is in relation to the Forest.

i love the woods. the more remote the better.  who are these rainbow people ? WTF is thier problem ?   i can care less about

wildlife.. animals dont bother me. two legged dirtbag critters do though....lol.
View Quote

ONF is I-75 east to sr 17 more or less ..north to 100(give or take 20 minutes) and south to sr42. its big green blob center of the state.

which is why it gets so much traffic.. sr 40 runs straight thru the center from east coast to ocala.

the bike park is west of it  ..by a while iirc..
rainbow types... to sterotype-

think spoiled  college libtard,save the wale,dave mathews ,phish ,greatful dead lover, who smokes drugs,,doesnt shave or take bath (to save mother nature or gia)..that stinks like shit rolled up in a yankee candle store...who drive a 89 volvo diesel wagon belching black smoke all over....while blaming bush and the establishment for why the environment is dying....

then they all gather in variuos parts of the forest..many just wandering around...or group up in small clusters/drum circles...but there is normally a large grouping at hopkins prairie or shanty pond of near that fr 88/314 area... they started a few "large" forest fires and normally just tear shit up...steal shit etc.

think stupid 60's hippy...meets stupid college hippy kid...

that is the rainbow people.

you'll head out to enjoy a hike to a secluded area 10 miles in on the FT(fl trail) to find all the grass dead,,shit piles everywhere,,trash,,tree's hacked,cut,,chopped up.....and one or two of the dirty fuckers stinking up the only clear water source in 8 miles washing the shit outta thier un shaved patchouli stinking  asses!
needless to say i hate those hypocritical slobby fucks.  

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Sometimes we tend to over analyze the issue, and instead of preparing for the most probable, most likely situation, we get fixated on, and  prep for the most damn bizarre and far fetched situation.
I don't know of any State Parks in Florida that are 'dangerous'.  Some of the National Parks can have issues, but none are 'dangerous'.  Hell, I'm more dangerous than anything I am likely to encounter in Osceola, Ocala, Apalachicola!.  I have put in more than 60 years of hiking, hunting, camping and fishing in Florida's State and National forests/Parks.  I'm still alive, with no scars.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So a motion light is a ticket to crazy town? Ok. I defer to your level headed mindset that says don't worry about anything.....clearly nothing can go wrong while in the middle of the woods and motion lights would be over kill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are shitting me, right?

So a motion light is a ticket to crazy town? Ok. I defer to your level headed mindset that says don't worry about anything.....clearly nothing can go wrong while in the middle of the woods and motion lights would be over kill.

Camping with proximity detectors?
Are you camping in Mogadishu?
You're are completely paranoid.
WTF is wrong with people? This is pathetic.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#24]
LOL...
where is it to Gainesville ?

Quoted:

ONF is I-75 east to sr 17 more or less ..north to 100(give or take 20 minutes) and south to sr42. its big green blob center of the state.
which is why it gets so much traffic.. sr 40 runs straight thru the center from east coast to ocala.

think spoiled  college libtard,save the wale,dave mathews ,phish ,greatful dead lover, who smokes drugs,,doesnt shave or take bath (to save mother nature or gia)..that stinks like shit rolled up in a yankee candle store...who drive a 89 volvo diesel wagon belching black smoke all over....while blaming bush and the establishment for why the environment is dying....

then they all gather in variuos parts of the forest..many just wandering around...or group up in small clusters/drum circles...but there is normally a large grouping at hopkins prairie or shanty pond of near that fr 88/314 area... they started a few "large" forest fires and normally just tear shit up...steal shit etc.

you'll head out to enjoy a hike to a secluded area 10 miles in on the FT(fl trail) to find all the grass dead,,shit piles everywhere,,trash,,tree's hacked,cut,,chopped up.....and one or two of the dirty fuckers stinking up the only clear water source in 8 miles washing the shit outta thier un shaved patchouli stinking  asses!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are shitting me, right?

Do you conceal carry?  Gee what are the odds of you actually needing it?  Are you some kind of paranoid gun-nut whacko?  Are you paranoid too?????  "Pathetic" 13er material right there!!!

I mean "Wow"!   How crazy that a guy camping on public property with his children would even think of taking a very minor step that would possibly alert him if someone who didn't "belong" came into his camp area.  That's crazy talk right there!  Kinda like talking about preps on a survival forum.  Serious tin foil material!
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, do whatever you think is best. Those people that haven't seen "that" side of life like us will never understand the "paranoia". Put fucking claymores and trip flares up if you want to.

RLTW
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP, do whatever you think is best. Those people that haven't seen "that" side of life like us will never understand the "paranoia". Put fucking claymores and trip flares up if you want to.

RLTW
View Quote

You know, I suspect the park rangers wouldn't take too kindly to someone putting up claymores and trip flares in their park.

Assuming you CCW keep your weapon on you if you like - that's what I do. Like I said I like dogs (I get that they aren't in your plans OP, but they are a fantastic mobile security system when in unfamiliar areas). Keep the AR or whatever in the tent if it makes you feel better. But it is a public park and you need to 1) be careful what you go about setting up and 2) respect your neighbors. That means noise and light control, and it means not automatically leaping into action if someone walks near by or even through your campsite, because people *will* do that in a public park. If you're out in the boonies all by your lonesome do whatever you want. But a state park is  a different story.

And BTW, what side is "that" side of life that we've surely never seen?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:08:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

RLTW

you know what he is implying....as well as those it's aimed at.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:09:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

LOL...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL...

bout a hour south and east iirc.

you do know..prolly half the stinky shits are UF  libtards

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That was uncalled for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking you should probably camp in your backyard if you're deathly afraid of the boogie man.  Grow a pair!

That was uncalled for.

Yep. That was seriously a liberal's argument.

"If you're so afraid that you need to carry a gun, you should stay home". Same thing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:16:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sometimes we tend to over analyze the issue, and instead of preparing for the most probable, most likely situation, we get fixated on, and  prep for the most damn bizarre and far fetched situation.
I don't know of any State Parks in Florida that are 'dangerous'.  Some of the National Parks can have issues, but none are 'dangerous'.  Hell, I'm more dangerous than anything I am likely to encounter in Osceola, Ocala, Apalachicola!.  I have put in more than 60 years of hiking, hunting, camping and fishing in Florida's State and National forests/Parks.  I'm still alive, with no scars.  
View Quote

And I've spent 46 years on this planet and never had to shoot  someone. I still carry a gun.

I have an alarm on my home for when I'm asleep. There is no difference in setting up similar precautions when you're asleep outside your home.

There are plenty of incidents of attacks in remote locations.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And I've spent 46 years on this planet and never had to shoot  someone. I still carry a gun.

I have an alarm on my home for when I'm asleep. There is no difference in setting up similar precautions when you're asleep outside your home.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said.  It's almost exactly the same as the CC argument.  I can't understand why folk here are getting so wound up about it.  

The OP asked about how to do something, not whether they thought he should in their opinion.  Really that simple.

If I went on Glocktalk and asked about a holster, I wouldn't expect (or want) any lengthy diatribes about why I was paranoid and tinfoil crazy for even wanting to do something like carry concealed outside my home.  Or having an alarm, or whatever.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well said.  It's almost exactly the same as the CC argument.  I can't understand why folk here are getting so wound up about it.  

The OP asked about how to do something, not whether they thought he should in their opinion.  Really that simple.

If I went on Glocktalk and asked about a holster, I wouldn't expect (or want) any lengthy diatribes about why I was paranoid and tinfoil crazy for even wanting to do something like carry concealed outside my home.  Or having an alarm, or whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Commonsense situational awareness ...wins the day more than alarms...buzzers...trip wires.
No matter where you are.  I still wanna know what park of death the OP camped at....

I camped in the ONF this past weekend .....damn near had to call in air support...twice and get a ammo drop.....all that just to camp.....:pwhats the world coming to.....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Commonsense situational awareness ...wins the day more than alarms...buzzers...trip wires.
No matter where you are.  I still wanna know what park of death the OP camped at....

I camped in the ONF this past weekend .....damn near had to call in air support...twice and get a ammo drop.....all that just to camp.....:pwhats the world coming to.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Delete.  My reading comprehension is fracked today.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't know about you but my situational awareness goes to shit when I'm asleep.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your not a tier 1 super survivalist?????

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and we tend to read into posts what we want to.  I did not say, nor did I  have to, that I keep my radar on, and am well armed.  I have 'sperience too, if that counts.  
If you compare  nights spent in the outdoors, to attacks on the folks spending those nights, I'm guessing that the odds of being attacked is about what it is for being beaned by a meteorite.
Does not mean you should not 'be prepared', but it does mean  that you can't let the fear of an infinitesimal chance encounter or event, ruin your trip.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 to all your posts so far.  I'm not sure whats going on here.  Why is it ok to carry a weapon to go to the grocery store and put an alarm on you house and lock your doors while you sleep.  But When you're sleeping in a nylon tent with unlocking zippers for doors, any form of security is crazy talk.  How do you not see the ignorance and hypocrisy in that logic?

In fact if the woods and camping is so safe why do you carry at all there as you say you do?  Maybe if it's so dangerous where you're camping that you have to be armed you should stick with your backyard where it's safe.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you don't sleep with one eye open? (sarcasm with a side of fava beans)
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
+1 to all your posts so far.  I'm not sure whats going on here.  Why is it ok to carry a weapon to go to the grocery store and put an alarm on you house and lock your doors while you sleep.  But When you're sleeping in a nylon tent with unlocking zippers for doors, any form of security is crazy talk.  How do you not see the ignorance and hypocrisy in that logic?

In fact if the woods and camping is so safe why do you carry at all there as you say you do?  Maybe if it's so dangerous where you're camping that you have to be armed you should stick with your backyard where it's safe.  
View Quote

Careful there....in SF you are correct as logic applies.  I started a thread asking about carrying while camping in GD....oh boy!! Nothing ever happened anywhere and a gun in tow is laughable.

I think the disconnect is that there is a decrease in humans around you...which may or may not be the case.  Certianly wasn't on the AT.  I thought I was alone and some through hiker would be at my camp site.  Friendly enough but obviously not everyone in the wilderness is friendly.  Plus bear, boar, hell even a pissed off/rabid animal of any size can be a threat.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#41]
To be back on topic, i just use inner strands of 550 cord between trees and then prop a few sticks on the line. Even the slightest brush will knock the sticks off, and possibly (hopefully) cause a stumble. This has stopped drunks at a state forest from wandering thru the campsite on more than one occasion. And i'm talking a campsite 100-200yds from the other campers. Drunks like to wander and i'll be damned if some sloppy drunk fuck is going to climb into a sleeping bag with my 14 yr old. But, if they did manage too it would be a bad night for them as she is just as well equipped as me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry, but I just can't take it anymore.  

This is a survival forum, where we talk about things like survival, being prepared, and the like.  We have threads about EMP attacks, meteor strikes, roving bands of cannibals, and other things that are pretty unlikely.

What we have in this thread is a long-term member who (in my eyes) is an upstanding guy and contributor here.  He's not asking if campsite security is something he should be worried about.  He's asking about a safe, portable, early alert system for his campsite, where his motivation is clearly the defense of his children.  If you think that's not necessary, then fine, move on.

There's absolutely no reason to call this gentleman a pussy, paranoid, or anything else for that matter.  How about just not being a dick and closing the window?  When I look at how some of the posters here have replied to the OP's original question, I truly agree with the part in red -- what the fuck is wrong with you people?

The next time some of you guys post about how to protect your sheep from an invasion of rabid, alien impregnated, aids-infested goat fucking liberal monkeys from hell, I'll be waiting to call you out...

Don't be a dick, people.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I was ultra lite backpacking in Oregon way out there. Day or two away from the car. To save time I hiked in the dark. It was a bright moon and I could see quite well.
I then almost ran into a guy in street cloths with a huge duffel bag over his back. We just looked at each other (I put on my red headlamp) and said "hey".

I had a hard time sleeping that night and this thread is relevant

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Slice,

What you are seeing are the attitudes, thought processes, reading comprehension capabilities, childishness/ -or not, rationality, character, emotional stability, knowledge, common sense, and a whole lotta other things in a person's nature, behavior, and demeanor.

It's interesting and at times scary, mostly stupid. Nonetheless, it's what's out in the REAL WORLD, and we can be grateful for the opportunity to taste the flavor of it prior to a real SHTF. While safely behind our Tacticool keyboards.

Some of it is chest-thumping and some of it represents instability that will make things 'interesting' when it all spills out.

We consider folks on this forum to be a cut above, and given the various reactions across it, think what the bulk of the population can turn into...

This sort of thing doesn't bother me as much as the attention seeking, post count boosting, threads like, "I just broke my nail after spending $45 to have them done in Oaky Moss Cammo, now I have to go out in the snow and get nail clippers to fix it. I have 3 gallons in the car, and no blinker washer fluid, what does the hive think if I can make it back in one piece?"

Sometimes some of the posts read like an attention whore texting another one before taking a dump and then going into the gross details. These often get the most reads.

Some of the questions that get the most response are some of the dumbest like 25 auto vs 22, how much should I stock. Doesn't reflect so well on the majority.

Forums like this give insight into anonymity.

In summary, "Can't we all just try to git along?"

Of course, the answer is all the bloviating in the world isn't going to change the 'negativism' in folks...

Trying to change it is like pissing into the wind.

It never hurts to point stuff out, as there will be a small minority who will appreciate the insight and learn from it.

Most folks out in Sheepleland though, are lost in their 'distractions', have the attention span of a gnat, can't be bothered with learning new tricks, and if constructively criticized, blow a gasket.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What you are seeing are the attitudes, thought processes, reading comprehension capabilities, childishness/ -or not, rationality, character, emotional stability, knowledge, common sense, and a whole lotta other things in a person's nature, behavior, and demeanor.

It's interesting and at times scary, mostly stupid. Nonetheless, it's what's out in the REAL WORLD, and we can be grateful for the opportunity to taste the flavor of it prior to a real SHTF. While safely behind our Tacticool keyboards.

Some of it is chest-thumping and some of it represents instability that will make things 'interesting' when it all spills out.

We consider folks on this forum to be a cut above, and given the various reactions across it, think what the bulk of the population can turn into...

This sort of thing doesn't bother me as much as the attention seeking, post count boosting, threads like, "I just broke my nail after spending $45 to have them done in Oaky Moss Cammo, now I have to go out in the snow and get nail clippers to fix it. I have 3 gallons in the car, and no blinker washer fluid, what does the hive think if I can make it back in one piece?"

Sometimes some of the posts read like an attention whore texting another one before taking a dump and then going into the gross details. These often get the most reads.

Some of the questions that get the most response are some of the dumbest like 25 auto vs 22, how much should I stock. Doesn't reflect so well on the majority.

Of course, the answer is all the bloviating in the world isn't going to change the 'negativism' in folks...

It never hurts to point stuff out, as there will be a small minority who will appreciate the insight and learn from it.

Most folks out in Sheepleland though, are lost in their 'distractions', have the attention span of a gnat, can't be bothered with learning new tricks, and if constructively criticized, blow a gasket.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry, but I just can't take it anymore.  

This is a survival forum, where we talk about things like survival, being prepared, and the like.  We have threads about EMP attacks, meteor strikes, roving bands of cannibals, and other things that are pretty unlikely.

What we have in this thread is a long-term member who (in my eyes) is an upstanding guy and contributor here.  He's not asking if campsite security is something he should be worried about.  He's asking about a safe, portable, early alert system for his campsite, where his motivation is clearly the defense of his children.  If you think that's not necessary, then fine, move on.

There's absolutely no reason to call this gentleman a pussy, paranoid, or anything else for that matter.  How about just not being a dick and closing the window?  When I look at how some of the posters here have replied to the OP's original question, I truly agree with the part in red -- what the fuck is wrong with you people?

The next time some of you guys post about how to protect your sheep from an invasion of rabid, alien impregnated, aids-infested goat fucking liberal monkeys from hell, I'll be waiting to call you out...

Don't be a dick, people.

nicely put. I think most ass hat posters just stumble in from G.D. or active topics and don't realize they are actually in a forum and blurt out what ever comes to their empty head before thinking it thru.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:23:46 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

to be serious i think its the way the OP stated his whys and whats. Along with the location of the intended use of said alarms.

There is nothing..nothing wrong with wanting to protect yourself and family. nothing.

But do you wear your line 2 /fighting gear to the mall? or when you ride through a bad area of town?

Tents are false security, zippers,,mesh and nylon. Like pulling the covers over your head in bed at night thinking that will keep away the monster att he bed side.

The Op ask for ideas he got some,,some GOOD ideas ,,hell i even posted pics and how to make him ones for his bags small,light,cheap.

The OP,,more than likely will not need such items on his trip. I could understand his concern if again he was camping somehwere that should be considered high risk - backpacking 15 miles into BFE with his kids. VS a KOA style state park set up. Is having his sidearm and good light reasonable means ,,yes. is maybe stringing a drive way alarm across the drive way to his site ( if its  closed in on the other sides) reasonable ..yes.  Is putting trip wires,strobes, spot lights, piezo alarms ,flares etc  reasonable in a stae park down here. I do not think so.

Thats the issue. many are confusing the style of camping he may be doing vs their  Ao. Which is why i directly asked what park. The majority of our state parks here literally ,as i posted like camping in your backyard /KOA style. Kinda like watching Top Gear when they go to a "caravan"  park in their shows.

do you see how stringing up all that crap would be a bad idea in such a location ,one that could get the OP in some heat with park service? and his neighbors? who are their to enjoy themselves as well.

again im not saying the OP is wrong ,,im just saying that ,like my example above you dont go full rattle just to go to the mall......

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:55:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

nicely put. I think most ass hat posters just stumble in from G.D. or active topics and don't realize they are actually in a forum and blurt out what ever comes to their empty head before thinking it thru.
View Quote

Hey! I mostly hang out in GD!

I'm gonna go eat worms.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:17:52 AM EDT
[#48]
When I first read this thread I was thinking,
Ok do want you want but not really required...

Then my buddy tells me a story about the hunting trip I couldn't go on this year.
Some guy following them around in a truck all day.
Peeing while standing under their perch and looking straight at them
Waking up and finding the trail cam they put out next to their camp stolen.

So now I'm thinking perimeter security isn't so after all.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The my buddy tells me a story about the hunting trip I couldn't go on this year.

View Quote

Your buddy is in his stand and dude walks up and pisses right at the base of his tree.....only time shit like you've posted about goes down if your trespassing .....or in someone else's actual stand.

That or the Guy was gonna go all crazzzzzzzzy on y'all LOL.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Your buddy is in his stand and dude walks up and pisses right at the base of his tree.....only time shit like you've posted about goes down if your trespassing .....or in someone else's actual stand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The my buddy tells me a story about the hunting trip I couldn't go on this year.

That's when you drop a deuce off the side of the tree stand.

"Oops, sorry, didn't see you down there.  My bad."
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top