The Gibson Les Paul (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 12:06:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRShooter] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DM1975:

Nice! How do you like that explorer?
View Quote

It's one of my favorites.  I bought it new in 2005.  Several other guitars have come and gone in that time including a Les Paul Custom.  The pickups are pretty hot compared to my other stuff.  I did have to replace the wiring and selector switch as Gibson was using crap components back then.

I've considered selling most of my stuff off.  The Les Paul and the Explorer would be the ones I keep, or the last to go.

The price on the new Explorers is ridiculous.  I paid $900 for mine.  Inflation doesn't make it a $2500 guitar.

I bought that EPI Les Paul about a decade ago.  It sounds great, but I don't like the neck profile.  I gave it to my son five years or so ago, but he recently traded it back for a Charvel I had.  The EPI was half the price of the Charvel when new, but the better guitar.

I gave my daughter the SG in the first pic.  I bought a new Standard several years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Kinda sorta les Paulish
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:09:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I know I posted this in the first post already but I’ve been playing a bunch of Zeppelin on it tonight and just love it so much. Easily my favorite guitar I own. Happy Flame Top Friday!!!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#4]

The smokehouse Les Paul Studio was my first venture into the LP world. With a JB in the bridge this thing does legit metal tones but the D shaped neck really never felt right. Then the '59 came out. Apparently it's true, chubby girls do cuddle better. The fat '59 neck is so comfortable and fast and this thing sounds awesome. The Burstbucker 3 in the bridge isn't exactly a JB but it's pretty solid, but the Burstbucker 2 in the neck is glorious. The top is a proper maple cap with a veneer but it is quite nice looking.
Overall the studio is a good guitar but the '59 is a flat out killer guitar. I call this one "The Metal Lemon."
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Gigity:
https://i.imgur.com/Rh50ynG.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/czQr0p0.jpg
The smokehouse Les Paul Studio was my first venture into the LP world. With a JB in the bridge this thing does legit metal tones but the D shaped neck really never felt right. Then the '59 came out. Apparently it's true, chubby girls do cuddle better. The fat '59 neck is so comfortable and fast and this thing sounds awesome. The Burstbucker 3 in the bridge isn't exactly a JB but it's pretty solid, but the Burstbucker 2 in the neck is glorious. The top is a proper maple cap with a veneer but it is quite nice looking.
Overall the studio is a good guitar but the '59 is a flat out killer guitar. I call this one "The Metal Lemon."
View Quote

Nice. I have burstbuckers in the guitar I posted above and in the first post. I absolutely love those pickups for anything from the mid 60’s to the 80’s. Absolutely amazing pickups for that tone. I have a JB in an Ibanez S series and that’s an amazing pickup for that heavier late 80’s early 90’s metal tone. One of my favorite pickups for pinch harmonics and still maintains a really tight sound.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Posting up most of mine for Gibsunday! Here are all of mine together minus the Supreme Florentine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]

I would have bought ever single hard shell case they had at that price and flipped them on Reverb. Probably the soft ones too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By skink:

Was at Guitar Center the other weekend. They had hard and soft Gibson cases for $10 each.

I would have bought ever single hard shell case they had at that price and flipped them on Reverb. Probably the soft ones too.

I got one of each. Not sure what I am going to do with them, yet.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
How much does a decent guitar go for these days?
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BIG-DUKE-6:
View Quote

Well that’s a very subjective question I think. You can get a “decent” guitar for $500 or less but not all $500 guitars are “as decent” as others so it quite well depends on what decent actually means to you individually. If I were looking right now for a decent starter or mid range guitar that can also grow with me I would expect a budget of $600 to $1200 and go from there. I know that’s a wide range but then again so is quality amongst brands.

I have had plenty of really cheap guitars over the years too and some of them play and sound good but most seem to just be frustrating to deal with for very long.

Whatever you get, I would budget in a proper setup. Even the best guitars play and sound like shit without one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BIG-DUKE-6:
View Quote
How cheap do you need to get?

My LP Studio above retails at $550, I paid $325 used. It's awesome at that price. The lemon burst is $999 new, I paid $750. Outstanding guitar.

I can find used epiphones all day under $500. The Inspired by Gibson line made after 2020 are all good instruments.

Link Posted: 6/20/2024 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have the actual pictures handy, but I've got an Epiphone Custom Blackback Pro model like this one.  One of my favorite looking guitars.

Link Posted: 6/22/2024 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Well since other folks are including their Epiphones, here is my loaner/shop guitar that I use when a buddy's kid wants to try guitar, and it lives in the office at my shop for noodling on my coffee breaks or after hours.  It is a 2000-ish MIJ unit with the cheesy fotoflame on it.

I've got Rio Grande pickups in it and just did a fret level and dress on it.  Plays great, but the wood used for it make it quite bright and not super articulate so not exactly my favorite.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
Well since other folks are including their Epiphones, here is my loaner/shop guitar that I use when a buddy's kid wants to try guitar, and it lives in the office at my shop for noodling on my coffee breaks or after hours.  It is a 2000-ish MIJ unit with the cheesy fotoflame on it.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/a/AVvXsEifQ0n9sKP4xO5w9HTus2Qp2HDGcqWbNNRdMGZl5JFd6vnULARAZQS9GcW60w30j1tu1M8kQHXFyyQidrrLv1y_fzUNF0_fTHYyYrcd_wHk985b2oBI3MFrkzuyM4dNlhwGbxbg7jPJkw8JvzUOKjkEHRwesBT0MIphJNU6MCqMp3UryTFiOJojU7IvRoo

I've got Rio Grande pickups in it and just did a fret level and dress on it.  Plays great, but the wood used for it make it quite bright and not super articulate so not exactly my favorite.
View Quote

Yes, non-Gibson Les Paul’s are fine. Just no outright Chibson counterfeits like the ones coming in the country with Gibson on the headstock.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I guess I’ll add an Epiphone to the collection as well! Just ordered a Jared James Nichols Gold Glory.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I guess I’ll add an Epiphone to the collection as well! Just ordered a Jared James Nichols Gold Glory.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53155/IMG_6060_jpeg-3252406.JPG
View Quote

Looking forward to your thoughts on it.  The control layout should suit my wild strumming hand; thus I may want to pick one up should you be fond of it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Kazual:

Looking forward to your thoughts on it.  The control layout should suit my wild strumming hand; thus I may want to pick one up should you be fond of it.
View Quote

I’ll post a NGD thread after I get it and set it up and play it some. I’m a fan of Jared James Nichols and have wanted this guitar since it first came out so I have high hopes but we shall see.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#17]
That would be a killer setup with a humbucker instead of the P90.  Looks really cool.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#18]
That would be a killer setup with a humbucker instead of the P90.  Looks really cool.
View Quote

Volume and tone knobs do wonders for squeezing tones out of a P-90.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Volume and tone knobs do wonders for squeezing tones out of a P-90.
View Quote

Meh.  If I'm going to play a single coil I'm going to play a Tele or Strat.  To me the move to the PAFs is what made the LP shine over its lighter, more ergonomic counterparts.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Meh.  If I'm going to play a single coil I'm going to play a Tele or Strat.  To me the move to the PAFs is what made the LP shine over its lighter, more ergonomic counterparts.
View Quote

To each their own. I have all four Strat’s, Tele’s, Humbucker equipped and P90 equipped Les Paul’s and each one brings something different to the table. A P90 has its own unique sound compared to a Strat or Tele pickup though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:51:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#21]
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#22]

To each their own. I have all four Strat’s, Tele’s, Humbucker equipped and P90 equipped Les Paul’s and each one brings something different to the table. A P90 has its own unique sound compared to a Strat or Tele pickup though.
View Quote

Oh, for sure.  I run Rio Grande pickups in everything so for me I'll run a Muy Grande instead of something like a P90 and get a ton more cut, punch, and body.  So far it looks like Steamboat is upholding Dave's legacy which is great.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#23]
My les paul is a Hohner clone.  Arch top, binding, and fancy gold hardware and pickups.

Supposedly these were made in the 70s-80s in japan.  Gibson sued hohner and made them stop.  My serial number dates this one 1975.

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:
Since we can post Epiphones. Here is my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Koa

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117002/1000002859_jpg-3253997.JPG

And my Epiphone Les Paul Slash Vermillion Burst

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117002/1000003681_jpg-3253998.JPG

But truth be told, I play this modified Leo Jaymz more than any other. It's a Leo Jaymz gutted with Epiphone pups, pots and wiring, roller nut, roller bridge, Duesenburg Les Trem II.  It's actually a fantastic guitar.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117002/1000003671_jpg-3254008.JPG
View Quote

Those are nice! That last one is real interesting. Looks good for sure!
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
My les paul is a Hohner clone.  Arch top, binding, and fancy gold hardware and pickups.

Supposedly these were made in the 70s-80s in japan.  Gibson sued hohner and made them stop.  My serial number dates this one 1975.

https://iili.io/dF7civI.md.png
View Quote

Those lawsuit era guitars are all supposed to be really good quality.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Now you just need a 12 string and a semi hollow body and set complete!
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Very cool collection!
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Those lawsuit era guitars are all supposed to be really good quality.
View Quote

This one is.  Its definitely got that les paul weight to it.  Half of GD would bitch about the weight and struggle to tote it on a 10 mile march.  Its from a time when men were men and children smoked cigarettes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:13:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#31]

View All Quotes
Since we can post Epiphones. Here is my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Koa

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117002/1000002859_jpg-3253997.JPG

And my Epiphone Les Paul Slash Vermillion Burst

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117002/1000003681_jpg-3253998.JPG

But truth be told, I play this modified Leo Jaymz more than any other. It's a Leo Jaymz gutted with Epiphone pups, pots and wiring, roller nut, roller bridge, Duesenburg Les Trem II.  It's actually a fantastic guitar.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117002/1000003671_jpg-3254008.JPG

The second one is interesting but I don't care for it. The neck is chunkier and doesn't fit my hand well. So it is for sale and I have not ever really played it.

The third one is awesome and a keeper.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#32]

The second one is interesting but I don't care for it. The neck is chunkier and doesn't fit my hand well. So it is for sale and I have not ever really played it.

The third one is awesome and a keeper.
View Quote

That’s the one I’m talking about, the third one. It looks like a cross between a Les Paul and the Marty Friedman signature Jackson. It’s cool looking.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#33]

That’s the one I’m talking about, the third one. It looks like a cross between a Les Paul and the Marty Friedman signature Jackson. It’s cool looking.
View Quote

Thank you. It's just a cheap Amazon Leo Jaymz LP clone that I gutted all the electronics out of and installed some Epiphone electronics from an Epi Custom that had a broken neck. I also installed a roller nut and a roller bridge to work with the Les Trem II to prevent binding. It worked like a champ and it maintains tuning wonderfully. The paint on the guitar is called SunBurst and I chose it because it looked like a classic paint scheme. All in I have less than $300 in it. It plays as well as a buddies Gibson to be honest.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Thank you. It's just a cheap Amazon Leo Jaymz LP clone that I gutted all the electronics out of and installed some Epiphone electronics from an Epi Custom that had a broken neck. I also installed a roller nut and a roller bridge to work with the Les Trem II to prevent binding. It worked like a champ and it maintains tuning wonderfully. The paint on the guitar is called SunBurst and I chose it because it looked like a classic paint scheme. All in I have less than $300 in it. It plays as well as a buddies Gibson to be honest.
View Quote

Ummmm... OP clearly states no counterfeits.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 5:36:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#35]

View All Quotes

A counterfeit is one that is trying to deceive you as to its origins. This guitar is clearly labeled as such and no deception involved. It is no different than the Hohner posted or any Epiphone. Yet, if you are offended I will remove it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

That isn’t a counterfeit. A counterfeit has Gibson on the headstock when it isn’t. This is more of a copy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#37]

A counterfeit is one that is trying to deceive you as to its origins. This guitar is clearly labeled as such and no deception involved. It is no different than the Hohner posted. Yet, if you are offended I will remove it.
View Quote

The OP (me) rules in favor of the defendant. The guitar shall remain as it does not fit the criteria of a counterfeit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I thought you were quoting the guy with the Gibson headstocks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I thought you were quoting the guy with the Gibson headstocks.
View Quote

Not tracking here. Which guitar are you referring to as a counterfeit?
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

You were quoting luv_the_huskers I thought you were quoting Orion10182011

The former did not have the headstock in the picture of the guitar in question the latter has all Gibson headstocks so I thought you were quoting the latter and the third guitar in his picture had a fake logo.  It has since been clarified.

Still not happy with some piece of shit Chicom garbage being elevated to the level of even a poorly-built American guitar but it isn't my call.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#41]

The former did not have the headstock in the picture of the guitar in question the latter has all Gibson headstocks so I thought you were quoting the latter and the third guitar in his picture had a fake logo.  It has since been clarified.

Still not happy with some piece of shit Chicom garbage being elevated to the level of even a poorly-built American guitar but it isn't my call.
View Quote

Yeah I get it. My intent on these posts is to celebrate all guitars. I have been in the position before where all I could afford was a cheap copy and it got me by and filled a void that Gibson doesn’t even compete in. Some people have different priorities as well and dropping a few grand on a guitar isn’t always in the cards. Counterfeits are a totally different thing though. They take money out of American businesses and pockets and destroys the collectors market.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Well don't worry @RickFinsta, your outrage is noted and I won't sully your thread again.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 11:35:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#43]
I have three left. One 50s conversion, one 2013 Custom shop - modified by me - and a 1970 Custom.

All shown in the following video clips - because I always thought that sounds may be better than pictures.

You won't be disappointed anyways. It took me a lifetime to play and sound like I do now.

Solo

Les Paul Custom:

SoloDallas' My Sharona - a Short Rendition with Storm, Impulse responses, Emulation Amp & BluGuitar!

The two Bursts:

One (or Two) Takes At Free's "All Right Now" with SoloDallas Technology - BEST or Rock 'N Roll!

ETA: for those who like Rock 'N Roll solos, I advise you to skip to solos on both videos and go from there. You won't be disappointed, I recreated 100% original solos to the original album recordings.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 4:29:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DM1975] [#44]
Originally Posted By Solo_:
I have three left. One 50s conversion, one 2013 Custom shop - modified by me - and a 1970 Custom.

All shown in the following video clips - because I always thought that sounds may be better than pictures.

You won't be disappointed anyways. It took me a lifetime to play and sound like I do now.

Solo

Les Paul Custom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gE6o32L2qY

The two Bursts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33eq_JGj2Ro

ETA: for those who like Rock 'N Roll solos, I advise you to skip to solos on both videos and go from there. You won't be disappointed, I recreated 100% original solos to the original album recordings.
View Quote

Very cool! Do you have vintage PAF’s in that conversion? I really want to get one, but a 50’s jr or special is probably closer to my budget range.

Also right there with you on taking a lifetime. I’ve played since I was eight years old with some off and on times, but I only really started to actually “learn” to play in the last couple years.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Very cool! Do you have vintage PAF's in that conversion? I really want to get one, but a 50's jr or special is probably closer to my budget range.

Also right there with you on taking a lifetime. I've played since I was eight years old with some off and on times, but I only really started to actually "learn" to play in the last couple years.
View Quote
It does take awareness to learn how to play music properly - recording did it for me.
When you start recording yourself, you learn how you truly suck - and go from there.

Constant exam.

No original PAFs. I've been into this game for decades, had several pairs (since the 1990s, when my search truly began).
My small company makes the actual replicas I have in those Les Pauls - you know, with replica PAFs and in general replica hum buckers being so popular nowadays
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#46]
It does take awareness to learn how to play music properly - recording did it for me.
When you start recording yourself, you learn how you truly suck - and go from there.

Constant exam.

No original PAFs. I've been into this game for decades, had several pairs (since the 1990s, when my search truly began).
My small company makes the actual replicas I have in those Les Pauls - you know, with replica PAFs and in general replica hum buckers being so popular nowadays
View Quote

Yeah I record myself a lot for practice and you’re totally right. All kinds of things pop up I never realized before.

What brand name is your company? I have unpotted burstbucker 1 & 2’s in my main guitar and some custom wound Lindy Fralin’s in another and like both of those a lot. Also have others, but those stand out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Yeah I record myself a lot for practice and you're totally right. All kinds of things pop up I never realized before.

What brand name is your company? I have unpotted burstbucker 1 & 2's in my main guitar and some custom wound Lindy Fralin's in another and like both of those a lot. Also have others, but those stand out.
View Quote
You have great quality pickups!

My company name is solodallas LLC, on solodallas.com
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#48]
You have great quality pickups!

My company name is solodallas LLC, on solodallas.com
View Quote

Scoping them out now. If I decide to switch some of my others out I’ll probably give them a shot. I don’t see an option for it but is getting them unpotted possible?
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Not mine anymore but a Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Gold Top - 2012, I think.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Hanz:
Not mine anymore but a Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Gold Top - 2012, I think.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15373/_DSC9054_jpeg-3261682.JPG
View Quote

I really like those. Epiphone has really gotten a lot better over the years compared to what they produced in the 90’s.
Page / 3
The Gibson Les Paul (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top