Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Woah, never heard of that. Smart idea though, as long as they still allow people to do whatever they want.

On the china printer stuff it is crazy to see how many people destroy stuff, and then get all pissy and want a warranty.
Obviously gonna be some of the usual china qc stuff, but actually pretty rare compared to the ones that clearly died from self inflicted wounds
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The mesh problem may be the MINDA probe yet:

I restored to factory specs, verified firmware, now z homing is non functional .

And I already have my Robo tore apart for the upgrades, so I am sans functional printer at the moment
View Quote
One of the youtube guys had his z probe fail already, too. Maybe they got a bad batch of them or something.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been interested in these for years but never pulled the trigger. What kind of things are you printing with it?
I can see a future where instead of ordering replacement parts for things that break, you can simply download a file and print it at home. How long until we are at that point?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I print a lot for work, but I am a tinkerer by nature, so having an outlet to easily create what I dream up is awesome! I've printed quite a few custom adapters for stuff from ABS for automotive, an adapter for the shower, all sorts of little stuff.

This Mini will be setup as a detail printer, while my other printer is setup with a Volcano hotend and .6 nozzle for production runs of some stuff and large jigs that I use.

We are a ways away from printing your own commercially available replacement parts, but only because there is no viable business model for it currently. There is no way to sell a file and NOT expect it to be put up for free. Its not until printers are truly "just hit print" and some kind of self-destructive software that only allows the print to print on that printer once (figuring out a way to accommodate for failed prints) is figured out where manufacturers and other designers would get on board with this.

Of course, if you can CAD it or find a CAD file of what you need, you can print all you want!
View Quote
I was thinking that for some companies, it would be easier to supply print files than to keep an inventory of obsolete product that is taxed, takes up space that must be paid for, staff to pick, pack and ship. I'd assume that a large corporation would be better off selling new product instead of having warehouses full of old product.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I print a lot for work, but I am a tinkerer by nature, so having an outlet to easily create what I dream up is awesome! I've printed quite a few custom adapters for stuff from ABS for automotive, an adapter for the shower, all sorts of little stuff.

This Mini will be setup as a detail printer, while my other printer is setup with a Volcano hotend and .6 nozzle for production runs of some stuff and large jigs that I use.

We are a ways away from printing your own commercially available replacement parts, but only because there is no viable business model for it currently. There is no way to sell a file and NOT expect it to be put up for free. Its not until printers are truly "just hit print" and some kind of self-destructive software that only allows the print to print on that printer once (figuring out a way to accommodate for failed prints) is figured out where manufacturers and other designers would get on board with this.

Of course, if you can CAD it or find a CAD file of what you need, you can print all you want!
View Quote
The 1st and last parts are pretty much what this stuff is currently about, and why I like it.

People have tried things in the 3rd paragraph, but bulk of the community laughs at them. Locked down proprietary stuff doesnt stand a chance at surviving at this point. It only seems to squeak by in a business environment where people arent spending their own money, personal users are a bit more frugal/heads up. This will prob change more toward what you describe as things become more mainstream and accepted by people who arent interested in this as a hobby sort of thing. My guess is by the time these systems roll out, they will be like the apple app store, but turned up a few notches with fees and bs hoops to jump through to even get listed.
If you pay attention to the other forums or groups, that guy that makes the nifty fold up models prob makes a chunk of change. Looks like a full time job to me with the number of models he has and the amount of spamming he does. Wouldnt surprise me if it was actually a group of people working together to get all that done. The guy is working it pretty good for what we have now though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was thinking that for some companies, it would be easier to supply print files than to keep an inventory of obsolete product that is taxed, takes up space that must be paid for, staff to pick, pack and ship. I'd assume that a large corporation would be better off selling new product instead of having warehouses full of old product.
View Quote
I think we are getting close, but still not quite on par with injection molded parts.
Would be nice if more companies posted models of parts that were applicable to 3d printing. Im sure this would free up a ton of hassle and resources for the mfg.
Sad, but prob take some kind of new law to cover their asses unfortunately. Something like "Use your fkn head, if you print this and it kills somebody, that shit is on you".
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#12]
@Rat_Patrol

Can you print ABS with the mini?  Or are you limited to PLA for everything?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ABS, PLA, ASA, PETG, etc.

It has a heated print bed (100c max).

Can't do high temp stuff like PC though. Hotend limits out at 250 iirc.
View Quote
sweet!

I have some ideas that would need ABS over PLA...
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got the new probe installed. Now it homes as it should. So yes, the MINDA probe was broken.

BUT

It still has the original issue of MESH not compensating properly for the bed level. The left side of the bed first layer is too squished down, the right sigh is just laid on top with no squish.

I'll send Prusa another email and see what they think.
View Quote
I think there is a thread on this in the Mini forum at Prusa, but I could be mistaken.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
More Prusa CS.

To be fair, their willingness to expedite parts out to me is nice.

Couple tests later, I am getting a new Y carriage as mine has a .5mm warp in it.

The MINI uses their MINDA sensor, and it lacks temp compensation. Lets just say I'm not the only one having issues... They are looking at a fix for it (likely a new sensor), but nothing as of yet.

At this point, I shimmed the bed to try to get it pretty good, and I have a new Y carriage coming.
View Quote
Keep the updates coming. Like I said, I have one on order - ETA March.

Hopefully a lot of this stuff will be resolved by the time mine ships.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Will do.

Prusa said that if the new Y carriage doesn't fix it, they will probably take it back for repair

I'm sure I have to pay to send it back.
View Quote
Back to Czechia? No way. That's crazy. They should send a new one with a return label included in the box for the old one at this point.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#23]
If it’s software, then it should be an easier fix.

If it’s hardware, hopefully it’s a simple change and not a redesign.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
New nozzle seemingly has fixed the extrusion issues, have almost an hour of printing with no problems. Must have been partially clogged. I did have a jam once where it printed for a few hours w/o me knowing it jammed. Nice to have spare parts on hand...

For the un-evenness of the bed, adjusting the tension on the XZ to Y assembly screws is making the issue manageable, per advise of Prusa.

And now is where I rant a little: Current FW does NOT have ABL, and only small MESH capability. If the bed is not near perfectly flat, MESH doesn't work. They are aware of the issue and they are working on it. IMHO, the printer should have NEVER been released where it requires manual-ish leveling with now way to manually level it. At minimum, actual torque specs on the assembly manual should be included, as the final torquing is VITAL to how it prints. Since I didn't have that issue, I can only imagine that moving the machine (using the recommended method of holding onto the Z assembly) torqued the connection to the Y assembly and gave me my issues. The cantilever system may bite them in the a$$ on that one, especially with no way for the software to deal with it.

Yes, this was basically a beta version, being first production run. Yes, I expected bugs that needed to be worked out. But that was a bit hole in their FW to release into the wild.

If you get a mini, do NOT be moving it around. Assemble and don't move it around.

Still don't regret my purchase, and I am a notorious perfectionist with my 3D printing. Most of the issues I have would likely go un-noticed by a novice or someone not chasing perfect prints.
View Quote
What's even more ridiculous is that it's just an option in Marlin. They could literally turn it on right now with a firmware update that would take 15 minutes to edit and compile.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#30]
They prob dont run Marlin. Guessing RepRap fw, but it should have the same option.

Where the real shit is going to hit the fan is when these get into the hands of new guys looking for a budget printer, and not the more experienced release group like rat.
That design just isnt for the non-experienced or non-mechanically inclined 1st timers that are going to be attracted to the price.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 1:14:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 1:43:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They prob dont run Marlin. Guessing RepRap fw, but it should have the same option.

Where the real shit is going to hit the fan is when these get into the hands of new guys looking for a budget printer, and not the more experienced release group like rat.
That design just isnt for the non-experienced or non-mechanically inclined 1st timers that are going to be attracted to the price.
View Quote
It's not reprap. It runs Marlin 2 behind a custom OS.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's not reprap. It runs Marlin 2 behind a custom OS.
View Quote
Interesting. SHows how much I know about the Prussa stuff
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#36]
... never seen scaling change half way through a print!
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#40]
So did this company test this printer before introduction for sale?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#41]
thanks for keeping us posted. I'm still waiting for my mini...hopefully by the time they get ready to ship mine, they will have solved most of these issues.

Saw your video on their forum showing the leveling issue.

On one hand, the wait is killing me, on the other, the further back I am in the queue, the more likely some of these issues will be addressed.

I see they've already switched out the rotary encoder that use for the selector on the UI.  Also looks like they've changed the mounts for  the MINDA and the cables. So they definitely are paying attention to the issue people are having.

hopefully your stuff will be sorted out quickly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#43]
so for a noob like me, who is waiting for their first printer to arrive, do I need to purchase additional nozzles, and if so what, where, how, etc?

thanks!
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#44]
A little off subject but I notice from that video that they are using a compression fitting for the bowden tube vs. a PTC.   Gotta admit I like that. Never really did care for those in the industrial world as they always seemed to fail in a high vibration/movement environment.

Seeing many people in the 3D print world having issues with them and coming up with band-aid fixes (retain clips,zipties..etc) Nice to see someone out there going with an "old school" version.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#46]
it will be a Prusa mini, if it ever arrives...they paused their shipments while they re-worked a few parts. I was scheduled for march, we will see if it stays that way.
thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks. Trying to learn as much up front as possible. With the fixes to the mini, my ship date has pushed out to April.

I guess that’s a good thing, as I’d rather have the problems solved before I get mine. Sucks for the early adopters, like you, that you have to find and deal with all the problems.

Prusa has a reputation for making things right, so we will see how it all plays out...
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#50]
So, you've gotten it all lined out now?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top