Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2010 8:46:01 PM EDT
Update:
Price is out, this place is pre-selling for $1,750...my guesstimate was close! Metal band would probably bring it to 2k...

http://www.watchco.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=A1503&Click=8862&gdftrk=gdfV21188_a_7c414_a_7c1160_a_7cA1503

Article 1

Article 2

Article 1:
2010-02-10
LUMINOX Deep Dive 500m

LUMINOX GOES DEEP – The Luminox Deep Dive 500m / 50bar

From Luminox Luminox has been the watch of choice for professionals like Navy SEAL's, Scuba legend Stan Waterman, the US Coast Guard, law enforcement divers and more. After 20 years of making 200 meter water resistant watches,
Luminox is proud to introduce its 50 bar (500 meter / 1500 feet) Deep Dive series, a serious, certified watch for use by professionals, complying with the strict and extremely high standards of ISO 6425 for Diving watches.

Most "water resistant“ watches are designed for the occasional and relatively short periods of time immersed in water. Unlike these types of watches, Luminox’ Deep Dive is a serious dive watch, designed and constructed for the use by professional divers, taking their watches to the deepest depths when doing their jobs, with all the attributes a true diving watch needs, including:

* Water resistant to 500 meters /50 bar

* A unique, patent pending Bezel Locking System (BLS), that also serves to protect the crown

* An automatic ETA movement with Big date window

* An automatic Helium Release Valve

* Unmatched constant visibility underwater with blue Luminox Light Technology (called LLT), constant glow for up to 25 years

* Specially designed case with custom gaskets, screw-on crown and case back

* Specially designed, thicker sapphire crystal and thicker case back

* Highly visible, broader Minute Hand in contrast color, with double LLT tubes

* Integrated PU strap with a wet suit PU extension strap

Why 500 Meters Water Resistance?
Many companies make watches with 200 meters water resistance, but 500 meters / 50bar is much more challenging and as a result separates the Deep Dive Luminox from the pack. The sapphire crystal must be more than twice as thick as on a 200 meter watch (3.00 mm), as well as the caseback (3.00 mm). Steel deforms at 50 bar pressure, so the overall case construction has to be much more robust and rugged.

How was the Deep Dive tested under Norm ISO 6425?
Special tests are done under Norm ISO 6425 that regular, non-dive certified watches do not have to undergo. Each watch must be submerged in water, at 62.5bar (equivalent to a pressure at 625 meters depth, which is 25% more then the stated 50 bar on the watch, for security reasons) for two hours and then for one hour at 0.3 bar, before and after which the watch is tested for condensation. The entire water resistant testing procedure takes 3.5 hours for just 24 watches, showing the intensity of these tests.

© Luminox

For a professional diving watch, it is critical and even can be the difference between life and death that the time is visible in any and all conditions, be it night diving, deep diving, diving in poor visibility or wreck diving. The Luminox Light Technology (LLT) ensures easy and immediate readability, and is always visible, constantly glowing for up to 25 years. The tiny micro gas light glass tubes that guarantee constant visibility glow blue on the Deep Dive series, as blue is the last color that the eyes register as one goes deeper and deeper under water.

In addition, the Deep Dive features different color of LLT’s at the 12 O’clock position of the dial as well as on the rotating bezel, so the diver can rely on the correct dive time when looking at his Luminox watch. The minute hand, being highly important to divers, is equipped with a double-LLT for easy readings even in darkness.

In addition, as per the strict requirements of ISO 6425, a random selection of Deep Dive watches had to undergo further tests which can be tested in specialized laboratory only, such as:

* Salt water tests, where the watch is submerged in salt water for 24 hours
Thermal shock tests

* Buckle and strap attachments are tested to make sure that the watch will not accidentally release

* Visibility tests in darkness (which of course are easy to pass for Luminox watches, as they all are using the LLT Luminox Light Technology)

* Antimagnetic tests under norm ISO 764

* Shock tests under norm ISO 1413

* Resistance of crown and other external devices against shocks

Why the automatic Helium Release Valve?
During prolonged dives in pressurized environments (like diving bells, deep sea exploration vessels and more) which use a helium-rich air mixture, tiny helium molecules can get inside the watch. If decompression stops during ascent are not long enough, the gas in the watch doesn’t have time to release and the pressure which builds up can damage the watch. With Luminox’s automatic helium release valve, excess pressure is released automatically through a one-way valve, protecting the watch.

Why the Special Locking Rotating Bezel?
The patent pending Luminox Bezel Locking System prevents the bezel from changing position. Sure, a unidirectional bezel is great, but if knocked, it could be moved and indicating less time under water. But divers want to stay down as long as they safely can. This newly invented Bezel Locking System ensures that the time the divers set with their turning bezel will stay set, and is easily accomplished by simply locking the crown protector into position.

This special 45mm watch is produced in limited quantities, as more tests are done and more time is required during the production process, with each watch individually numbered. Special touches abound, from the diving helmet stamped on the caseback to the tang of the buckle, inspired by the trident of Neptune. All these great features signify that this is indeed a serious diving watch. In addition, the watch comes in a specially-designed, water resistant gift box which can be used to store e.g. the diver’s mobile phone, camera or other personal gear safely on a rough sea.
TAGS BASEL 2010

Article 2:
Saturday, April 17, 2010
BASELWORLD 2010 - LUMINOX - The Luminox Deep Dive 500m/50bar

Luminox has been the watch of choice for professionals like Navy SEALs, SCUBA legend Stan Waterman, the US Coast Guard, law enforcement divers and more. After 20 years of making 200 meter water resistant watches, Luminox is proud to introduce its 50 bar (500 meter / 1500 feet) Deep Dive series, a serious, certified watch for use by professionals, complying with the strict and extremely high standards of ISO 6425 for Diving watches.

Most "water resistant” watches are designed and constructed for the occasional and relatively short periods of time immersed in water. The Luminox Deep Diver is serious gear, a dive watch specifically designed and constructed for the use by professional divers, taking their watches to the deepest depths when doing their jobs, with all the attributes a true diving watch needs, including:

• Water resistant to 500 meters /50 bar (exceeding the minimum of 200 meters requested by ISO 6425)
• A unique, patent pending Bezel Locking System (BLS), that also serves to protect the crown
• An automatic ETA movement with Big date window
• An automatic Helium Release Valve
• Unmatched constant visibility underwater with blue Luminox Light Technology (called LLT), constant glow for up to 25 years
• Specially designed case with custom gaskets, screw-on crown and case back
• Specially designed, thicker sapphire crystal and thicker case back
• Highly visible, broader Minute Hand in contrast color, with double LLT tubes
• Integrated PU strap with a wet suit PU extension strap

For a professional diving watch, it is critical and even can be the difference between life and death that the time is visible in any and all conditions, be it night diving, deep diving, diving in poor visibility or wreck diving. The Luminox Light Technology (LLT) ensures easy and immediate readability, and is always visible, constantly glowing for up to 25 years. The tiny micro gas light glass tubes that guarantee constant visibility glow blue on the Deep Dive series, as blue is the last color that the eyes register as one goes deeper and deeper under water. In addition, the Deep Dive features different color of LLTs at the 12 O’clock position of the dial as well as on the rotating bezel, and since the minute hand is particularly important to divers, it is equipped with a double-LLT for easier reading, even in complete darkness. And because this model features an automatic mechanical movement with no battery required, the diver can always rely on the correct dive time when looking at his Luminox watch.

Why 500 Meters Water Resistance?
Many companies make watches with 200 meters water resistance, but 500 meters / 50bar is much more challenging and as a result separates the Deep Dive Luminox from the pack. The sapphire crystal must be more than twice as thick as on a 200 meter watch (3.00 mm), as well as the caseback (3.00 mm). Steel deforms at 50 bar pressure, so the overall case construction has to be much more robust and rugged.

How was the Deep Dive tested under Norm ISO 6425?
Special tests are done under Norm ISO 6425 that regular, non-dive certified watches do not have to undergo. Each watch must be submerged in water, at 62.5bar (equivalent to a pressure at 625 meters depth, which is 25% more then the stated 50 bar on the watch, for security reasons) for two hours and then for one hour at 0.3 bar, before and after which the watch is tested for condensation. The entire water resistant testing procedure takes 3.5 hours for just 24 watches, demonstrating the intensity of these tests.

In addition, as per the strict requirements of ISO 6425, a random selection of Deep Dive watches had to undergo further tests which can be tested in specialized laboratory only, such as:
• Salt water tests, where the watch is submerged in salt water for 24 hours
• Thermal shock tests
• Buckle and strap attachments are tested to make sure that the watch will not accidentally release
• Visibility tests in darkness (which of course are easy to pass for Luminox watches, as they all are using the LLT Luminox Light Technology)
• Antimagnetic tests under norm ISO 764
• Shock tests under norm ISO 1413
• Resistance of crown and other external devices against shocks

Why the automatic Helium Release Valve?
During prolonged dives in pressurized environments (like diving bells, deep sea exploration vessels and more) which use a helium-rich air mixture, tiny helium molecules can get inside the watch. If decompression stops during ascent are not long enough, the gas in the watch doesn’t have time to release and the pressure which builds up can damage the watch. With Luminox’s automatic helium release valve, excess pressure is released automatically through a one-way valve, protecting the watch.

Why the Special Locking Rotating Bezel:
The patent pending Luminox Bezel Locking System prevents the bezel from changing position. A conventional unidirectional bezel is great, but if knocked, it could be moved and indicating less time under water. But divers want to stay down as long as they safely can, and need as much time as they can get for deep diving. This newly invented Bezel Locking System ensures that the time the divers set with their turning bezel will stay set, and is easily accomplished by simply locking the crown protector into position.

This special 45mm watch is produced in limited quantities, as more tests are done and more time is required during the production process. Special touches abound, from the diving helmet stamped on the caseback to the prong of the buckle, inspired by the trident of Neptune, and of course each watch individually numbered. All these great features signify that this is indeed a serious diving watch. In addition, the watch comes in a specially-designed, water resistant gift box which can be used to store e.g. the diver’s mobile phone, camera or other personal gear safely on a rough sea.

Luminox timepieces are manufactured like few others. The proprietary Luminox Light Technology and the additional quality control steps Luminox mandates require extraordinary attention to detail and care in manufacturing. All Luminox watches are Swiss Made in the brand’s state-of-the Art factory in Biberist, Switzerland, but this series undergoes additional rigorous testing at an off site facility also.

The Luminox Deep Diver is ESSENTIAL GEAR for serious divers, suitable for use in the toughest corners of the world.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
msrp?
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Ugly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
i like my casio pathfinder just fine

oh an wtf?   do u work for luminox??
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Have had the same Luminox watch for almost 3 years now and it is doing great... heck the finish or glass isn't even scratched yet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Now just come up with the same movement in a SEAL dive watch and do away with that ETA quartz movement and we are all set.

And yes, MSRP?
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
tag.  curious which eta movement they use and how much.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe it will take 2.5 times longer to fall apart compared to my 200m water resistant Luminox.

And maybe Luminox customer service will be 2.5 times faster to refuse to fix it under warranty.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
1. I'm curious as hell as well about the MSRP...I have no idea, but if I were to guess I'd say probably over a grand?

2.  LOL, no, I don't work for Luminox...
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

1. I'm curious as hell as well about the MSRP...I have no idea, but if I were to guess I'd say probably over a grand?

Sat diving watches tend to go for over a grand, especially Swiss-made ones.

Link Posted: 4/22/2010 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sat diving watches tend to go for over a grand, especially Swiss-made ones.  

Yeah, I'm thinking about the automatic movement, double thick crystal, helium release, lock bezel, lock crown...guessing 2k at least
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the old ones better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Price is out, this place is pre-selling for $1,750...my guesstimate was close!  Metal band would probably bring it to 2k...

http://www.watchco.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=A1503&Click=8862&gdftrk=gdfV21188_a_7c414_a_7c1160_a_7cA1503

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't wast your money on Luminox. $1750 is simply ludicrous for that watch. There's more than a dozen higher quality watches that can be had for around the same amount and a lot less that blow it out of the water.
I always viewed Luminox as one of those Tactifoolya brands.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I've worn my Luminox for 10 years daily. Working on cars and at work. On my second band a a few batteries. Very durable piece.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#15]
What is the thing on the side covering the adjustment wheel?  Looks like it'll catch on everything.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Not bad looking but for about the same money my Breitling SuperOcean is good to 1524 meters and came with a metal band
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not bad looking but for about the same money my Breitling SuperOcean is good to 1524 meters and came with a metal band

seriously? 1524 meters?  jeebus
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#18]
For what I do, my timex ironman is just fine.  Besides, the Luminox that I have is a piece-o-shit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:07:54 AM EDT
[#19]
For $700 I can get this

SPECIFICATIONS:
Made by the Marathon Watch Company by contract to the Canadian and now the U.S. Government
Movement: ETA 2824-A2
Dial: measures 27.7mm and utilizes Tritium Gas Vials for Night Illumination
Crystal: sapphire - 2.8mm thick x 30.50mm diameter
Case: is cut from 316L stainless steel
Case diameter is approximately 46.0mm
Bezel diameter is 41.10mm, milled engraved and filled
Case Height is 13.85mm
20 mm lugs with drilled holes
Crown: 6.5mm dia x 5.50mm long, deep knurled
Weight of head 93.1 grams
Rubber Strap is Swiss Made Natural Rubber (not to be confused with plastic or composite bands)
Warranty: One year parts and labor (watch must have legible serial # and invoice)
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:18:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ugly.

Yeah, I'll keep my money and use it elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:46:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For $700 I can get this
http://www.countycomm.com/gsarfront12.large.jpg
SPECIFICATIONS:
Made by the Marathon Watch Company by contract to the Canadian and now the U.S. Government
Case Height is 13.85mm
Rubber Strap is Swiss Made Natural Rubber (not to be confused with plastic or composite bands)
Warranty: One year parts and labor (watch must have legible serial # and invoice)

Exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:47:32 AM EDT
[#22]
mine's beat to shit and still works
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll stick with my Suunto military X Lander
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

For $700 I can get this

http://www.countycomm.com/gsarfront12.large.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:

Case Height is 13.85mm

Not rated for sat diving, but still a good watch.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 2:07:16 AM EDT
[#25]
My Rolex Sea Dweller is good for 4,000 ft. depth.  It also has a helium escape valve.  Cost is a bit more.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 2:43:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I wear my Timex whenever I dive below 500 meters; holding my breath is a little hard, but the plankton is yummy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 2:52:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep 5000ft / 1524 meters and it also has the helium escape valve.  It was a birthday present from my wife several years ago
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 4:13:21 AM EDT
[#28]
My luminox just died after 3 months and they won't fix it.  Last one of those pieces of shit I ever buy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My luminox just died after 3 months and they won't fix it.  Last one of those pieces of shit I ever buy.

Imagine how you would feel if you paid $1,750!
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I suppose if I was a quarter of a mile underwater I'd want one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't know about you but I don't spend much time 500m down...
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I suppose if I was a quarter of a mile underwater I'd want one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I'd be more worried about why I was 1/4 mile underwater than what time it was.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's kind of a pointless distinction - 200m vs. 500m waterproof, since it makes NO DIFFERENCE to 99.99% of divers, who will never go anywhere near 200m in depth.

Only reason I'd need a watch like that for diving is so it'd still be working when they recover my corpse.

"Sorry about your dad, kids.  But here's his watch!"
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#35]
500 meters? Lightweight... Call me when it get's to 3000m:

m
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have the SuperOcean Heritage Chrono... nice watch, but it's only rated to 200m. I made up for it with the Avenger Seawolf...

m
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep 5000ft / 1524 meters and it also has the helium escape valve.  It was a birthday present from my wife several years ago

See the new one:

DAMN.... I LIKE.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#39]
500m? Do you plan on dropping it out of submarines?
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
500m? Do you plan on dropping it out of submarines?

You DO realize that some people need to be able to board the space shuttle at 500m below the surface to get in their door gunner position for their super secret squirrel missions.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I just looked up the world record for saturation dives...534 meters.  Even deeper than the watch in the OP is certified for.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See the new one:

DAMN.... I LIKE.

http://stylecrave.frsucrave.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Breitling-Superocean-2010.jpg

DO WANT
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, for about $900 more, you can get a Ball Engineer Master II Diver Chronometer - 300m rating, 61 tritium gas tubes, COSC certified automatic, and pretty damned cool looking.  Granted, it's more expensive, but the Luminox comes with much less for a still large sum of money.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I would have no need for such item.    I don't live near any water and I don't scuba dive.  Although I would like to get certified as there are some lakes in New Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ugly.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm happy with my Traser H3 Type 6

Traser Watches
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Definitely cornered the Ugly Market.

For that money you can actually get a decent movement, instead of that piece of crap in that abomination.

All the watchmakers agree the Seiko 8L and 9L movements are superior to the Rolex movements now. But the Marinemaster is a Japan only watch. They sell the low grade crap in the US.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#48]
The thing I never understood about these Luminex watches and their tritium vials is, why would a Navy SEAL want to walk around with a small spotlight on his wrist in a tactical situation? Those things shine all the time, there's no turning it off.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Definitely cornered the Ugly Market.

For that money you can actually get a decent movement, instead of that piece of crap in that abomination.

All the watchmakers agree the Seiko 8L and 9L movements are superior to the Rolex movements now. But the Marinemaster is a Japan only watch. They sell the low grade crap in the US.

http://uhrforum.de/attachments/24822d1239968522t-seiko-marine-master-sbdx001-uhrwerk-marinemaster.jpg

http://www.pmwf.com/PMWFGallery/fullsize/Keaton_MarineMaster.jpg

The Seiko 8/9L movements are very good, for sure. But there's nothing wrong with the ETAs (which are more than capable of getting chronometer certification).

Seiko is expanding the Grand Seiko range internationally and MM300s will be able to be serviced domestically soon.

The MM300 is No. 2 on my list of watches to get, right after a Doxa 1200T. With an ETA.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Why?

I can buy a Suunto D9 wireless dive computer/watch for around $1400.  And I'll actually use it while diving.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top