Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/11/2011 6:46:44 AM EDT
Huh?  Really? Dude, you're toking away on a Lucky Strike while gassing up your truck?  

Sure doesn't appear to be a good idea for anyone involved in the immediate area.

But, I'm sure some folks here do that as well.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Evolution
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#2]
They don't want to wait till the 4th to see fireworks?
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Not a good idea.

In the smokers' defense, however, it should be pointed out that gasoline will extinguish a lit cigarette.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never actually seen that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've never actually seen that.

Nor I.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#6]

because a cigarette can't ignite gasoline

i didn't do it when i smoked though

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Death wish....... think it is illegal to do so at any gas station.at eight bucks a pack is two gallons of gas anyway for those who can count
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:53:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't get it, but some people have that need to smoke every time they can. Or driving a company car, can't smoke in it, so gasing up is the only time they have.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't do it, but I can't recall ever hearing about a fire or explosion occurring at a gas station because someone was smoking.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Seriously, the danger of an explosion due to a lit cigarette while fueling your car is greatly overstated. Same as operating a cell phone while fueling. If there was a high enough concentration of fuel fumes to ignite from a lit cigarette, whoever was doing the fuelling would not likely be conscious for long, much less able to smoke a fag.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not a good idea.

In the smokers' defense, however, it should be pointed out that gasoline will extinguish a lit cigarette.

It isn't the liquid I'm concerned about, it's the fumes- which are highly flammable.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I've never met anyone that had a problem because of this.

I was working late at night once as a teenager at a newspaper distribution place, a garage and office.   One of the guy's trucks had leaked some gasoline in a puddle of water in the alley.   It took quite a few matches to set it off....
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Seriously, the danger of an explosion due to a lit cigarette while fueling your car is greatly overstated. Same as operating a cell phone while fueling. If there was a high enough concentration of fuel fumes to ignite from a lit cigarette, whoever was doing the fuelling would not likely be conscious for long, much less able to smoke a fag.

The high concentration of fumes is what is coming out of the filler neck on the vehicle.  As gas gushes in, highly concentrated fumes are rushing out.

That's where you want to keep the sparks away from.  The location at the filler neck.  That's why static electricity at that location can cause a fire.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#14]
a lit cig won't ignite gasoline or fumes you have more of a chance of static setting a pump on fire don't believe me pour a little gas on the ground and throw a lit one in it.  Cigs only light gas in movies now the spark and flame from a lighter or matches is a different story
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't recall having ever seen that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a good idea.

It isn't the liquid I'm concerned about, it's the fumes- which are highly flammable.

But cannot be ignited by a cigarette. If they flicked their Bic while pumping, that's a different story.

Contrary to what Hollywood shows, it will not light gasoline fumes. Period. End of discussion. Seriously. At all. Never. Try it.

I worked in and ran gas stations for 10+ years and once went so far as to use gasoline to clean a particularly soiled service bay .... With a lit cigarette hanging out of my mouth the whole time. The shit will not ignite from a cigarette.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#18]

What do you think the fumes are?  They are a vapor form of the the gasoline so if the big brother "gas" won't ignite then it's smaller less powerful brother "fumes" won't blow up either
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:09:37 AM EDT
[#19]
They want to fly without wings?
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Picture this..... Billy and misty have just left the beaches and are out of beer and smokes... Billy jumps out and starts to gas up his 95" Ford F150 while misty runs inside the store in her cut off shorts, flip flops, bikini top and don't forget the little beer belly lopping over the top of them daisy duke size 12 shorts... She sticks her head out the store door to yell if Billy wants a "slim Jim" them comes back to the truck the whole time opening a pack of smokes... She loads up everything in the truck into the baby seat in the middle only then to light the fucking cigerette.. She then walks around the side of the truck to where Billy is gassing up the POS, the whole time I'm praying that Darwin will strike like an fist of an angry god....

Did i paint that well enough???

Slug-O
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't smoke, but if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't do it while filling up my car.

I also turn my car off, and usually touch a metal part of my car before I begin fueling to ensure static discharge.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Why are people so worried about hyped-up non-scares?
Anyone ever heard of a fire being started due to an already burning cigg and gasoline? I doubt it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I've seen it with my own eyes!!!! It happens more often then you'd think...
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Huh?  Really? Dude, you're toking away on a Lucky Strike while gassing up your truck?  

Sure doesn't appear to be a good idea for anyone involved in the immediate area.

But, I'm sure some folks here do that as well.

Freedom of choice. Apparently people need the freedom to be able to use their cellphones while smoking at a gas station and drive without seat belts or wearing helmets while riding.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Cause they're fucking geniuses!!

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#26]
No , I dont while filling up , but as mentioned before , I have yet to see a case involving a lit cigarette being responsible for a gas fire at the pumps .

I pumped gas for years as a teen and people were smoking all the time as I filled their car up ........never gave it a second thought .

And cell phones ??

Dang it man ...do we really have nothing more important to worry about ???
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Freedom of choice. Apparently people need the freedom to be able to use their cellphones while smoking at a gas station and drive without seat belts or wearing helmets while riding.

Well then.....you just don your crash helmet and 5 point harness while you wear your Nomex suit the next time you get behind the wheel , and you'll have nothing to worry about

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What do you think the fumes are?  They are a vapor form of the the gasoline so if the big brother "gas" won't ignite then it's smaller less powerful brother "fumes" won't blow up either

You should totally prove that. Use a video camera.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

a lit cig won't ignite gasoline or fumes you have more of a chance of static setting a pump on fire don't believe me pour a little gas on the ground and throw a lit one in it.  Cigs only light gas in movies now the spark and flame from a lighter or matches is a different story

Yup, this is why you DO NOT get in and out of your car while pumping gas. And if you do you should touch the car frame before grabbing the nozzle so you discharge the static charge.

WATCH THIS>>>>>>

fire while pumping

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#30]
I saw a guy standing right underneath the vent stacks for the gas tanks smoking the other day. Having never heard of an explosion being caused by ignition of fumes from the vent stacks, I wasn't super worried, however I finished and got out of there promptly.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#31]

Can't stand that... and idiots that don't realize that they can simply back up into an open pump in the opposite direction rather than sitting blocking traffic.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Idiots abound....
Not a cigarette but still, who would check the fuel level in a tanker with a lighter.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5M––0CSZ1I
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I put it out because the sign says so, nevermind is hollyweird fakery.

ATF tested this with several methods (surprisingly much more vigorous than their NFA 'testing') and were not able to get a lit cigarette to ignite gasoline, gasoline mist, or gasoline vapor.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should totally prove that. Use a video camera.

You really want to watch a video of a cigarette slowly burning out while nothing else happens? Might as well watch golf
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#35]
You can do all sorts of things while around fuel with a cigarette and get by with it. But if it goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong, and will not buff out.

There's no point in taking a chance at getting killed just because you can.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Can't read the no smoking sign
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#37]
On the other hand, and why I wouldn't do it while filling up, smoking is nearly an unconscious habit - if the cherry got knocked off or the thing just died (like I hear they do now) a smoker might reach for a lighter without thinking about it. Lighters and matches WILL ignite gasoline fumes.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not a good idea.

QFT
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You can do all sorts of things while around fuel with a cigarette and get by with it. But if it goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong, and will not buff out.

That or possibly be financially responsible for having to replace what ever burns up or gets damaged in the ensuing fire...

Hate to see someone in a 'Bind' over that one....

It is posted at most gas stations that it's not allowed... By order of state fire marshall!

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#40]
I usually cook a couple of burgers while filling up.
The adjacent gasoline pump makes kick-starting the charcoal VERY easy.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#41]
In some states, smoking within 50 feet of the pumps is a felony
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I was under the impression that a cigarette CAN ignite gasoline fumes. No????
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

^^^^This is the smart approach^^^^

I would never smoke when filling up a car, and I take it one step further as an added safety measure. I put the nozzle in the tank and engage the handle lock, then I step back behind the trunk as the car fills up. Only when it finishes do I move to the side of the car and grab the gas nozzle and remove it. If something did happen to ignite the fumes coming out of the tank, then I reduced my time standing next to the filler hole by 95%. If you can easily minimize risks, why not do it. Especially if that one in a million can easily kill you or horribly disfigure you for life.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not a good idea.

+1

However, I tested it in 100 ml of gasoline, not at a gas station
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ATF tried it and couldn't get it to happen.  They were investigating claims by murder/arson suspects that they accidentally splashed someone who was smoking with gasoline, or that they dropped their cigarette and *woosh*.

What they found:
A pool of gasoline will extinguish a lit cigarette every time.
A cigarette will not ignite gasoline fumes, even if vacuum is applied to the cigarette to simulate a 'draw' or 'drag'.
A cigarette will not ignite misted gasoline, even if a vacuum is applied to the cigarette to simulate a 'draw' or 'drag'.

Mythbusters also 'busted' the cellphone myth and they tried extremely hard to get it to work.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Can't read the no smoking sign

They can read it; they just think it doesn't apply to them because they're "special." Their mothers told them so.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#47]
I myself have never seen anyone doing it yet.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Seen it more times then I can count overseas. Never seen one blow up gas. Now, smoking in a car full of fireworks on the other hand makes a very loud explosion.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ATF tried it and couldn't get it to happen.  They were investigating claims by murder/arson suspects that they accidentally splashed someone who was smoking with gasoline, or that they dropped their cigarette and *woosh*.

What they found:
A pool of gasoline will extinguish a lit cigarette every time.
A cigarette will not ignite gasoline fumes, even if vacuum is applied to the cigarette to simulate a 'draw' or 'drag'.
A cigarette will not ignite misted gasoline, even if a vacuum is applied to the cigarette to simulate a 'draw' or 'drag'.

Mythbusters also 'busted' the cellphone myth and they tried extremely hard to get it to work.

How bout if you bump the the end of a burning cigarette and dozens of burning embers fly off the end of the cigarette? Would that effect make it more prone to ignite the gas fumes or gasoline?
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Because they are fucking retards.  On the other hand the people that think you are going to explode becuase you talk on your cell phone are a bit out of hand.  In the 12 or so years I have had a mobile phone I haven't had one spark on me ever.  I have gone through dozens of different phones.  I remember I was in Nova Scotia Canada back in 2005.  I was filling up at one of the gas stations and my wife called.  I answered and I guess the atendant was watching me. She told me to hang up the phone or she would shut down the pump and call the police.  I told her I thought that was a bit of an overreaction.  Morons.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top