Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably have to be round/dome like...Strength of a radius and lower wind resistance.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would build the house in an area that doesn't have tornados.  

simple solutions and all that.............

I've seen funnel clouds in Manitoba, so tornadoes can happen damn near anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Don't be a pussy, ride that bitch.

http://i.imgur.com/C6zKE.png

Seriously though, I'd have to vote for monolithic.com. Concrete domes FTW. Preferably underground.

I seriously don't understand people. We have the technology. We can do all sorts of crazy things. Why the FUCK would you rebuild with splinters of wood when you KNOW it's just gonna get blown down again? Fuck it, the Joplin area(and quite a bit of that part of the state, maybe the whole damn state I dunno) is full of caves(hell, Americold has a complete underground refrigerated warehouse complete with underground cave truck docks. Freaky to drive around in!). Rebuild the fucking city UNDERGROUND! Why the hell do people rebuild flimsy structures above ground in tornado land? Why do people rebuild on floodplains? WTF is wrong with people?

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#4]
domeofahome.com

Comes damn close.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

THis.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#6]
My family once owned a building in Jonesboror-Hodge, LA that myself and some other family members survived a tornado in.

As a matter of fact, we didn't even know there was a tornado.

It was my grandfather's law office, and had been used to store meat way back when.  the exterior walls were 4' thick brick, we always assumed this was to keep a constant temperature during the summer heat in Louisiana when they cooled meat there.

F-4 or F-5...I doubt it, but it has been proven tornado proof for the smaller ones.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I think a more practical discussion should be based on recognizing that most homes will not survive a direct hit from an F5.

However...

A shitload of unnecessary damage happens every year from high winds and debris.  I say unnecessary because it is s easily preventable.  Why do we build homes in the US with fake decorative shutters?  Is it really that hard to make real ones you can close?  Why have they established working codes in Florida that have been shown to keep roofs on houses better, and you couldn't apply them in the midwest even if you wanted to, since few if any people know how to build to them or even how to get the materials.

Don't get me started on earthquake precautions as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Where would that be? There have been killer tornadoes in every state in the Union.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A shitload of unnecessary damage happens every year from high winds and debris.  I say unnecessary because it is s easily preventable.  

Yep. secure your stuff so it doesnt blow away/into someones bedroom.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think a more practical discussion should be based on recognizing that most homes will not survive a direct hit from an F5.

However...

A shitload of unnecessary damage happens every year from high winds and debris.  I say unnecessary because it is s easily preventable.  Why do we build homes in the US with fake decorative shutters?  Is it really that hard to make real ones you can close?  Why have they established working codes in Florida that have been shown to keep roofs on houses better, and you couldn't apply them in the midwest even if you wanted to, since few if any people know how to build to them or even how to get the materials.

Don't get me started on earthquake precautions as well.

You have some good points.

And about the earthquake thing..... yeah, when the New Madrid fault goes, there's going to be alot of damage simply because buildings in the area aren't built for earthquakes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Meh...we already let the Mexicans and the liberals have those places that do not have frequent tornadoes.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

<snip>

decommissioned missile silo.

<snip>

Now we are talking

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#13]
My aging eyes read "tomato proof house."

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread makes me miss the old "American Survivalist" magazine. Last I heard it was still available as an online only subscription magazine. I'm old school though, I like to hold printed material in my hands.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy a piece of property up the road and put a mobile home park on it to lure it away  

But seriously, +1 for the low-profile reinforced concrete dome.  Probably the only aboveground shelter that would stand a chance.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Underground, and you have zero wind resistance
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#17]

To be perfectly honest, I have read more than one thread title or article this past few days as "killer tomatoes."
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.monolithic.com/stories/minimal-tornado-damage-at-faith-chapel

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

<snip>

Now we are talking

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_H1iZ0osNp3U/STacF6VIwwI/AAAAAAAAAXw/I-C5_iWB6p8/s400/missile-homes.jpg

How much woud it cost to build that from scratch?
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Brick veneer would get ripped off.  Even if properly tied to the furring strips.  A 6" concrete roof would likely get ripped off.  

About the only thing that would survive an EF4 would be hemispherical igloo type made with reinforced concrete.
i guarantee you could build a tornado proof house but i don't
think you would want to pay for it

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about the pressre drop (on humans)?

Not enough to worry about.

From Wiki:
A pressure deficit of 100 millibars (2.95 inHg) was observed when a violent tornado near Manchester, South Dakota on June 24, 2003 passed directly over an in-situ probe. In less than a minute the pressure dropped to 850 millibars (25.10 inHg), which is the lowest pressure ever recorded at the Earth's surface when adjusted to sea level.[16]

I would imagine that the human body would have some problems if it had to endure 25" of mercury for any legth of time.

I think the pressure at the top of Mount Everest is much lower than that.

25 inches of mercury?  If that was hazardous to humans I would have been dead a LONG time ago since that's only like 6,000 feet.  

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Move to Appalachia or the Rocky Mountains. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#23]
They build very thick walled concrete structures in Puerto Rico due to the constant hurricanes. Seem to hold up pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#24]
My concrete front porch is the roof of my tornado room in my basement.  I have a steel door that opens to the inside.  The room is L shaped and I'm quite comfortable to hang out there during tornadoes.  I see so many put in basements and they pour the concrete walls for their porch and they then fill it with sand.  The builder who built this house he didn't fill his with sand but braced it up with plywood and then poured a good slap on top of it.  My big old porch just looks like any other but it's a great room to have in Kansas.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Would 6" of reinforced foam insulated concrete with an outer layer of brick and a "secondary" roof made from 6" thick reinforced concrete be enough to take a direct hit from the types of tornadoes that have been hitting the south and mid-west? If not how thick would the walls need to be?

Also how well would such a house fair against small arms fire upto an incuding .50MBG fire and grenades?

Just build a simpler structure under ground.

And how does that work when your basement is covered in debris(can't get in or out) or is now exposed to sky?

Have a chainsaw handy.

Groovy solution.

"Let me chainsaw through this metal hatch really quick so I can get the debris on top"
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
People get the misconception that it's the wind from a tornado that destroys houses and property. In most cases, it's not the wind, but wind-launched missiles, such as cars, propane tanks, trees and other construction debris. To build a truly tornado-proof structure, you'd have to design it to withstand the impact of missiles weighing a couple of tons traveling at up to 70 MPH. That works out to a metric buttload of energy.

North Korean missiles?
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Build it like a military ammo storage bunker.
They are concrete covered with a thick layer of dirt.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#28]
'Tornado proof' is similar to 'bullet proof'.  It only works until a big enough tornado comes along.

Quoted:

I always thought this looked interesting !

http://www.dsgnwrld.com/wp-content/uploads/Bunker-Chicago-IL-USA-6.jpg

Too many surfaces for the wind to push against.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Move to Appalachia or the Rocky Mountains. Problem solved.

Hate to ruin your theory there, but I live in an area hit by the last batch of tornadoes.  There are mountains all around me. I live in a town called Mountain City (go figure). The ridge-line that the Appalachian trail follows is visible from my house.  There were 3 killed in early reports.  The actual was about 10.  Of course the first three were in mobile homes.  The valley between the mountains acts like a bowling alley with the bumper rails up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Holy HALO!!!!

That's effing SHWEEET!!!!

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

<snip>

Now we are talking

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_H1iZ0osNp3U/STacF6VIwwI/AAAAAAAAAXw/I-C5_iWB6p8/s400/missile-homes.jpg

And it was called..........................RACCOON CITY!!!!

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=625006

http://www.monolithic.com/

You're probably still hosed on .50 cal protection.

.30-06 yes, .50 no.  Yes, somebody tried it.

Monolithic domes are rated to well above EF5

These guys build an F5 rated concrete, above ground, safe room.  You could apply their techniques to the entire house, be expensive as hell.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Wiki:
A pressure deficit of 100 millibars (2.95 inHg) was observed when a violent tornado near Manchester, South Dakota on June 24, 2003 passed directly over an in-situ probe. In less than a minute the pressure dropped to 850 millibars (25.10 inHg), which is the lowest pressure ever recorded at the Earth's surface when adjusted to sea level.[16]

I would imagine that the human body would have some problems if it had to endure 25" of mercury for any legth of time.

I think the pressure at the top of Mount Everest is much lower than that.

25 inches of mercury?  If that was hazardous to humans I would have been dead a LONG time ago since that's only like 6,000 feet.  

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html

Thanks for the info. I was just thinking about how the vacume on a car's intake manifold feels on my finger (20 some inches), and it seems like I would not want to be in there. But I guess it is not that bad.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#34]
A foundation on a hydraulic lift so you can lower the whole thing into the ground.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#35]
A tornado-proof house wouldn't even look like a house.

And considering the odds of a Tornado hitting your house, it's better and cheaper to just build an underground shelter.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Think of everything around your structure hitting your structure at over 70mph.

Pretty tough to design around that.

Surround the structure with tall steel pipes?

You may be onto something.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a rental property in North Minneapolis that just took a direct hit.  Window and roof damage.  Structure is still sound.  1923 or '28 construction, brick and stucco.  I am meeting the insurance adjuster in the morning.  From what I hear, the 'hood looks like a war zone.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I'm thinking that's mostly plywood covered in stucco.  I have no actual knowledge, but the dimensions just don't look right for massive concrete construction.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

That would mean abandoning many states.

People who suggest such things should just move back to France.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would 6" of reinforced foam insulated concrete with an outer layer of brick and a "secondary" roof made from 6" thick reinforced concrete be enough to take a direct hit from the types of tornadoes that have been hitting the south and mid-west? If not how thick would the walls need to be?
Also how well would such a house fair against small arms fire upto an incuding .50MBG fire and grenades?

And how does that work when your basement is covered in debris(can't get in or out) or is now exposed to sky?

I don't know, today I watched live feed from a helicopter of a family climbing out of their shelter from under what little of their house wasn't scattered into the nearby field.

It definitely convinced me: If I lived out there I'd build a cellar.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Have a chainsaw handy.

Groovy solution.

Get an ax.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 1:58:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Wiki:

I've lived in an average of 25" for 35 years or so.  It's really not a big deal.  Just don't try to keep up with us highlanders at the bar when we go don to sea level

Heck, I'll be spending Saturday at 20" or so.  I doubt I'll notice the difference.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 3:02:33 AM EDT
[#44]
"Earth Sheltered" is what you're after.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 3:11:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Build underground, only part of house that is above ground is the entrance, which could be built flush with ground or maybe raised by a foot or so to accomodate the door and maybe the mechanism to make lifting the reinforced door easier. Barring that, you would be hard pressed to make an above ground structire "tornado proof"
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 3:24:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Here is a little different style of dome.

http://www.aidomes.com/

http://www.aidomes.com/basic-kit-prices/article/68-2009-basic-kit-prices/83-prices-a-finished-cost
(prices are double what it was in the mid 90's.)
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 3:32:12 AM EDT
[#47]
A 6" concrete roof is pretty heavy and make the house expensive.  A direct hit from a tornado is rare and not much is going to survive.

It's more reasonable to buy or build a small storm shelter and insurance for the house.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 3:52:47 AM EDT
[#48]
This design works pretty good

Why, it can even be used as a weapon!

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:12:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This design works pretty good
http://www.starbacks.ca/~ozfan/galefarm.jpg

Why, it can even be used as a weapon!
http://cdn.mamapop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Wizard-of-Oz-House-Ruby-Slippers.jpg

Damn!  Someone dropped a house on Ronald McDonald!

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:22:15 AM EDT
[#50]
We put an above ground tornado room in our shop should the need ever arise.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top