Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/6/2011 10:36:24 AM EDT
Probably 20 years ago I had a 9mm carbine. I think it may have been a mac9 or a tech9? I honestly don't remember. But it was sorta UZI looking with a screw on barrel and a little removable stock and 30 or so round mags. I would like to get another one, either like it or maybe something a little more modern?
Can you give me some suggestions.  Also, I've seen some AR knock offs that are 9's. I'm assuming they are??????

I guess I could spend $500?

This is sorta what I had but mine was a carbine.
Buds Gun Shop Link
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#2]

I am happy with my 9mm AR.

ETA and my Kel Tec Sub2K is great too!
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Keltec Sub2000.  Can get one that uses Glock mags.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#4]
If I were shopping, I'd get a RRA 9mm AR or a Keltec folder.

I've shot both and I like them a lot.  Two different sets of features, though, obviously.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#5]
HK-94? I love mine more than my 9mm Colt AR.

I don't know if the domestic made HK-94's are any good. I have heard good things about the Beretta Storms but haven't taken one shooting yet.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have you looked at a Beretta?  A friend has one (actually two, as he has the .45 also) and loves them.  

I have. They are at the upper end of my budget but I have heard and read real good reviews. I think they are ugly as hell. But I've considered it.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Colt Style 9mm and an Oly Style 9mm AR
A Friend has a Kel-tec and another has a Beretta...
I will stick with my AR platforms thanks!
Though the Kel-tec uses Glock Mags and Oly DOES make an upper and lower for use with Glock Mags
While Oly doesn't ALWAYS make good products my 9 has been flawless.
It even bumps nicely from the shoulder!
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]

I picked up one of the J R Carbines from EMF. I have about 1000 rounds and have had no issues at all. I have used both Glock 33 rnd and KCI knockoff 33 rnd mags without any issues.

I had to put it in the back of the safe as it is a ammo burner and expensive even being a 9mm.

Bob

Yes am aware of the bad review in the AR forum, but EMF took care of it and appeare to have cleaned of the FTF / FTE issues.

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/THE-J-R-CARBINE-c282.htm
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I've shot a CX4 in 9mm many times but don't actually one one. They're nice, reliable, accurate. You can change the bolt handle to either side depending on your preference, and can switch ejection to either right or left handed too. Most are set up to use standard M9 mags which common and cheap. Mec-Gar makes 20rd mags for the M9 that work wonderfully in the carbine. On a side note if you have a PX4 or Cougar you can replace the magwell with one that accepts mags from these pistols instead of the 92FS/M9 mags if you so choose.

I'd probably look first at a 9mm AR15 just for parts availability but I don't know how available the 9mm parts and mags are compared to 5.56.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#10]
People laugh at the suggestion but I have had great luck with the Hi-Point carbines.  Cheap and run well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Thought about a 5.56mm bullpup? Almost the same size and shoots a full power load. I love my new MSAR.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#12]
9mm ar or keltec sub 2k

I've owned both, like both.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd be tempted to look at one of the semi-auto Sterlings that Century/Wise Lite made recently. They are getting pretty cheap and would be a good bridge between a 9mm AR and the old tube gun you had in the past.

A 9mm AR would probably be your "Best" best bet.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#14]
If you're gonna get something worthless you might as well look cool.  Get an IMI UZI Model A and SBR it.  Mags and parts are cheap and plentiful and that thing is built like Soviet tank.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#15]
love my sub2000  
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#16]
The best value out there right now is the sub 2000. Just make sure it has the glock grip and then you can use the 33 round glock 18 mags.

Also, masterpiece arms does make carbine versions of their MAC clones, so if you're interested in picking up a similar gun to what you had before, those are worth a look at. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you're gonna get something worthless you might as well look cool.  Get an IMI UZI Model A and SBR it.  Mags and parts are cheap and plentiful and that thing is built like Soviet tank.

That's EXACTLY what I did... (sorry, no hosted photos)  However, even though it's horribly cheap and made of inferior materials, a Sub2000 is better at delivering rounds on target downrange.  That is, once you get the hang of the crude method of sight adjustment.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I wouldn't call an uzi worthless, but as a home defense gun, the price to performance ratio is lacking. It can still be a viable home defense weapon, but there are cheaper and lighter weight options available that do the same job as the uzi just as well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#19]
The Beretta Storm carbine is dollar for dollar, the best PCC on the market that I can think of.

I owned one, it was amazing, I sold it to a friend who really wanted it and I'll almost certainly buy another at some point.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Anybody know if those Ruger 9&40 carbines are any good? The ones that will take smith and wesson mags (I think?)

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#21]
beretta storm
/thread

honestly, everyone i've let shoot my storm has either wanted one ever since, or ran right out and bought one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#22]
9mm AR

HK 94/SP89/MP5/MP5k clone

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

beretta storm

/thread

honestly, everyone i've let shoot my storm has either wanted one ever since, or ran right out and bought one.

Aren't they like $900?

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#24]
If I had a storm, I would bubba up and take a hacksaw to the stupid bottom portion of the stock that connects to the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#25]
If I had the money, the Beretta CX4 Storm would be mine. I've almost bought one on more than one occasion.  And I think they look cool.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

beretta storm

/thread

Aren't they like $900?

Got mine lightly used for $500.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

beretta storm

/thread

Aren't they like $900?

More like $650 last I looked.  Been a while though.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I forget the price, but I saw one of these the other day, could be promissing.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I favor my Colt and wish I could have only paid 5 bills for it, but in the end, its a great shooter and I am more than happy with the purchase.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#30]
The wife has a Ruger PC9 that she loves to death. Talk about a well built gun, very accurate and 100% reliable. I've had all the other carbines mentioned here and it and the HK are the only ones I've kept. For the money I'd pass on a 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anybody know if those Ruger 9&40 carbines are any good? The ones that will take smith and wesson mags (I think?)  

Quite surprisingly, they actually take Ruger P-series mags. (although, there are some converted to take Glock mags)

ETA: you might be thinking of the Marlin Camp Carbine, which does use S&W 9mm mags.

I have a PC9, it is heavy for what it is, and it has a horrid horrid trigger.

I love it regardless. Accurate and reliable as hell. Only problems I've had were with aftermarket mags.

Well worth the $400/nib I spent for it over a decade ago...but not worth the $600+ /used I've seen them going for nowadays (when I've seen one).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Anything but Hi Point.  What a POS.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I forget the price, but I saw one of these the other day, could be promissing.

mine runs great.  Bob
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Who makes an MP5 clone?  I have never seen one, let alone a price for one
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The Hi-point is far from my favorite, but it hardly qualifies as a POS.

The one I have has proven itself to be just as reliable and just as (if not more) accurate as my beloved Ruger.
Once again the only reliability problems I've had are with aftermarket mags.
In fact, the only thing I don't like about it (besides its fugliness) is the 10rd mags.

And you can't beat the price, although the KelTec comes pretty close.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Not sure if tis 9mm but maybe this?

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#37]
If you have to have a 9mm carbine, the Sterling is a lot of fun. In SBR mode it's even handier.

I have a 16" version, and it's loads of fun. 34rd mags go pretty quickly.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Hi-point is far from my favorite, but it hardly qualifies as a POS.

The one I have has proven itself to be just as reliable and just as (if not more) accurate as my beloved Ruger.
Once again the only reliability problems I've had are with aftermarket mags.
In fact, the only thing I don't like about it (besides its fugliness) is the 10rd mags.

And you can't beat the price, although the KelTec comes pretty close.

15 years ago, a guy that used to work for me with a buffalo ranch in south Alabama bought one.  He used it to cull deer; he'd snipe them from 100-150 yards with his HP 9mm carbine.  Complete and utter approval from the local Game Warden (couldn't use or keep the hide, meat or horns).

He convinced about 3-4 of us to buy them, which we did, through Larry's Pistol and Pawn.  All 3-4 were complete and utter junk.  Wouldn't work, jammed all the time and don't bother trying to take them apart to clean them and forget the fawking miserable POS trigger on them (+15 lbs - and that's charitable).  Of the four, I was the last to get rid of mine, which I did last March or so, sold it for what I got out of it, back to Larry's believe it or not.

Carbine sucks majorly, but the company has excellent customer service.  I sent it back due to a missing part (spring that went into orbit) and they not only fixed it, but gave me an extra mag to boot.

Having said that, no way I'd ever buy another Hi Point again.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Find a used Marlin camp carbine.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

<snip>

Okay, fair enough.
At least you've actually used one, unlike the majority of the people that call them a POS.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Beretta Storm.

Does anyone make an oversized bolt handle for the Storm? I think it would make handling easier for a novice.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

Okay, fair enough.
At least you've actually used one, unlike the majority of the people that call them a POS.

Gotcha, no way was I pulling that outta my ass.  Great company, but their carbine sucked.  God, I hated that thing.

Now, if it had a decent trigger (or a trigger that could be fixed) and a high cap mag, then it would have been the shiznit.  But the thing was born during the time of the Klinton assault weapons ban and HP didn't want to rock the boat.  I ask you, how much harder would it have been to make the grip take a Glock 17 or even a 19 mag???

Enough of that.  Good luck to the OP in your quest.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Uzi or 9mm AR, preferably SBR'ed.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Been considering one myself. Sub2000 will probably be my choice since my EDC is a 9mm Glock.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

beretta storm

/thread

Aren't they like $900?

More like $650 last I looked.  Been a while though.

Can we get a price check for the Cx4 on aisle 6, a price check for the Cx4 on aisle 6. A customer is waiting.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Lakeside Razorback.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought a 9mm Beretta Storm for my daughter.  She loves it.

It is very accurate, Super easy to shoot and clean.  A bit pricey though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I have an Oly 9mm AR upper, a Kel-Tec Subby that takes Glock mags, and a Hi-Point 995TS.

Of the three, only the Hi-Point worked flawlessly right out of the box, the other two had break-in issues.  

All three perform flawlessly now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#49]
My Colt 6450 runs like a champ. Wet, dry, dirty, clean, whatever. I pushed it to 2,000 rounds without cleaning with no malfunctions.

The only problem I've had is some C-Products mags with poorly formed feed lips.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a Marlin Camp 9.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top