Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
It's like a turkey pop up timer.  When it cooks off it's time to let it cool some.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Jake Zweig has fallen on hard times since top shot.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw a pic in a mag not long ago of a hungarian style side folder with three linked nato rounds around the stem of the stock, taken in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looks to me like some guy noticed that one round of linked ammo would clip on the barrel.  Others saw it, thought it was "neat",  and it spread.

sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one.

I'm going to go with this.  It's done on this site too, please see: KX3 flashhiders on 16" barrels, 15" rails with nothing on them, and my personal favorite enlarged trigger guards.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I would guess its to work on the gun. I use a loaded cartridge to take down my SKS at the fire control group release.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks to me like some guy noticed that one round of linked ammo would clip on the barrel.  Others saw it, thought it was "neat",  and it spread.

sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one.

I'm going to go with this.  It's done on this site too, please see: KX3 flashhiders on 16" barrels, 15" rails with nothing on them, and my personal favorite enlarged trigger guards.

My rails are only 12" and I wanted to free float the bbl. w/o removing the front site base.  The enlarged Trigger Guard fills up the hole at the back and keeps it from rubbing my finger raw.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Everybody knows that somewhere out there is a bullet with your name on it.
If you have that bullet you are invincible!

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
To shoot yourself with after you blaze away your other 240 rounds into the air.

Lulz
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's another one I found with the round, if you look closely this guy has one.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/67427_1688970991075_1441725661_1812193_2251953_n.jpg

It's between the front and rear sights?
Aiming is for suckers.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I dunno, maybe the whole supersticion of "somewhere there is a bullet with my name on it, and ive got it right here" kinda thing?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#11]

All of those AKs are otherwise unmodified.

The round attached to the barrel is for anyone who might want to install Tapco parts on an AK.

Fluffy.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Museum piece. Mag is prolly pined in too.  He's a cripple he has it as deterrent.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The "R" in that context is for "rimmed."  It is standard to designate rimmed cartridges with an "R" at the end when using a metric designation, such as 8x56R.

Quoted:
Wrong, The R is for rimmed 7.62x54R
Quoted:
The "R" is for Russian.

Back in the 70s and 80s, it was generally referred to as "7.62 Russian."  You can also see it called "7.62x39 Russian," leading to, I guess, "7.62x39R."

Yes.  I know that R generally indicates a rimmed cartridge.  
And YOU GUYS know that.

But someone used to calling the cartridge "7.62 Russian" might just try to be cool and abrv it with just an R.

I'm just saying, there may be an explaination for it is all.  It's still wrong, but whatevs, right?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#14]
i thought it might be so they can easily identify what round it uses.  if youre in an area with lots of AK variants and lots of ammo types floating around that might be helpful to those with not a lot of training.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The "R" in that context is for "rimmed."  It is standard to designate rimmed cartridges with an "R" at the end when using a metric designation, such as 8x56R.

Quoted:

Quoted:

The "R" is for Russian.

Back in the 70s and 80s, it was generally referred to as "7.62 Russian."  You can also see it called "7.62x39 Russian," leading to, I guess, "7.62x39R."

And YOU GUYS know that.

But someone used to calling the cartridge "7.62 Russian" might just try to be cool and abrv it with just an R.

I'm just saying, there may be an explaination for it is all.  It's still wrong, but whatevs, right?
well it is a 7.62 round and to alleviate any confusion from 762 nato and the M43 cartridge they probably came up with 762 Russian and some shortened it. I don't think you're wrong. We all know it's not a rimmed round.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I saw a lot of that in Afghanistan, have some pics somewhere I can dig up.  I was told by one guy that they think that the barrel will get hot enough to cook the round off and fire a "super volley".   The cool kids in the Argandab valley had two linked SAW rounds secured to the barrels of their AK's.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/73538_1688984951424_1441725661_1812207_56256_n.jpg

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Hmm, maybe it's for those Bullet-Button CA compliant mags

Just a prototype, need to find my paki-tape

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hmm, maybe it's for those Bullet-Button CA compliant mags

Just a prototype, need to find my paki-tape

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9444/20111118135937.jpg

Damn, I need a 1913 compliant bullet-holder, as I have a railed Ultimak replacement gas tube!
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I want a .50 cartridge to put on my AR.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Agreed
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#22]
The funny part here is I offered an explanation straight from the horse's mouth about it.   They believe that if they get into an extended shootout that the barrel will get hot enough to fire off those rounds during their time of need.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The funny part here is I offered an explanation straight from the horse's mouth about it.   They believe that if they get into an extended shootout that the barrel will get hot enough to fire off those rounds during their time of need.

So that the case will fly back and pop them between the eyes?

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

These are people that also believe in dragons, smoke opium on patrol, and decorate their rifles with flowers and stickers.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

These are people that also believe in dragons, smoke opium on patrol, and decorate their rifles with flowers and stickers.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

19Ds?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Barney Fife tactical reload....

I raffed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The "R" is for Russian.

And YOU GUYS know that.

well it is a 7.62 round and to alleviate any confusion from 762 nato and the M43 cartridge they probably came up with 762 Russian and some shortened it. I don't think you're wrong. We all know it's not a rimmed round.

The 7.62 X 54R is indeed a rimmed round.

The "R" stands for "rimmed", not "Russian".

Oh, I know that. I should have been more clear I was talking about the x39 round. I only have 4 Nagants, I think I would know.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

19Ds?

!!!!

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 4:40:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That ain't 7.62x39R.  

Never heard of it.

It used to commonly be called that.

But it isn't rimmed like .303 or 7.62x54R?

The "R" is for Russian.

this.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Because it fits there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

wait.. you do not believe in dragons ? what about all those fossilized skeleton we find ?  
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Geezus...some of you guys make me wonder..
It's not to tell them which way to point the gun, or to indicate which bullet they should use...
It means that they've taken an enemy's life in battle. Just a sort of status thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
SKS––Pushing a pointed object, like an awl or bullet, into a release on the trigger group causes the group to release from the receiver––i. e., the trigger group holds the stock around the barrel and receiver..

I just use the prong on the top cover.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's dope yo.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Can I buy that bullet clip at Midway in 5.45 for my Tantal?
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can I buy that bullet clip at Midway in 5.45 for my Tantal?

An M27 disintegrating belt link is what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

i thought it might be so they can easily identify what round it uses.  if youre in an area with lots of AK variants and lots of ammo types floating around that might be helpful to those with not a lot of training.  

This is what I was about to post.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of the ones I saw had SAW links with 5.56 on their AK's, the ones that didn't used RPD inks.   There are very few functioning 5.45's left in Afghanistan.  The whole time I was there I only saw a couple mags, never even saw a 5.45 weapon.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of the ones I saw had SAW links with 5.56 on their AK's, the ones that didn't used RPD inks.   There are very few functioning 5.45's left in Afghanistan.  The whole time I was there I only saw a couple mags, never even saw a 5.45 weapon.

+1
I saw a security detail for a provincial governor that had a 5.45 rifle and a 5.45 Krink, both were the personal property of one individual and both were limited to existing ammo that was "on hand."

There might be a bunch of 5.45 rifles cached, but there is no ammo for them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#42]
To let you know when weapon is to hot?
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That ain't 7.62x39R.  

Never heard of it.

It used to commonly be called that.

But it isn't rimmed like .303 or 7.62x54R?

The "R" is for Russian.

It sort of stuck around into the early/ mid 90s as well. I have one fo the older annuals and in referencing Mini-30s, SKS, and the 7.62x39 AR it refers to the round as the 7.62 Soviet and 7.62x39 Soviet.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I suppose its not too out there... I've seem member's here do much dumber shit to their ARs....
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Those are earned and awarded by actually hitting an enemy.

It sorta strikes me as something that a terrorist would do. Have a spare bullet for a suicide mission so he could kill himself before being captured & interrogated.

Pretty much what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It sorta strikes me as something that a terrorist would do. Have a spare bullet for a suicide mission so he could kill himself before being captured & interrogated.

Too bad most of the rounds are not even for the weapon they are mounted on.

If you have ever met the Afghan people, or the average ME fighter in general, you guys would put much less thought into the rhyme or reason behind this, because there is none.  Somebody, somewhere, attached a round to his barrel and now they all do it and offer different off-the-wall reasons for it.

I guarantee you it isn't for training purposes, to identify what type of ammo the rifle uses, or for suicide, as those would offer some sort of logical conclusion.  There is none.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have ever met the Afghan people, or the average ME fighter in general, you guys would put much less thought into the rhyme or reason behind this, because there is none.  Somebody, somewhere, attached a round to his barrel and now they all do it and offer different off-the-wall reasons for it.

I guarantee you it isn't for training purposes, to identify what type of ammo the rifle uses, or for suicide, as those would offer some sort of logical conclusion.  There is none.

Decorations are pretty!

What I find most interesting about it is that you can see it in Libya and thousands of miles away in Afghanistan. People not united by common culture or language. I suppose the only thing in common would be religion.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go up north, you'll see more in RC East, especially as you get closer to Kabul and some of the major Soviet AO's up there. 74, 74S and Krinks were not uncommon.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Decorations are pretty!

What I find most interesting about it is that you can see it in Libya and thousands of miles away in Afghanistan. People not united by common culture or language. I suppose the only thing in common would be religion.

Arabs and muslims tend to keep pretty good tabs on each other's conflicts, either through jihadis travelling to and from to fight or through the internet.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Don't let them capture you alive.

+1.  Gadaffi thing.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top